PDA

View Full Version : Seat belts, use them!

hcr25
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I posted this on the MRA forum already but sometimes we forget to wear our seat belts.....

Please use them.

Over this past weekend Roberta and I went to Missouri to pick up our new to us Playmor race trailer. On Tuesday we were just past Burlington CO. on our way home when 75mph plus wind gust hit us. The wind blew the trailer over which in turn caused us to roll our truck as well. We were only going about 40-45mph when we crested a hill and the wind hit us.
We were both wearing our seat belts. Roberta was transported to the hospital on a backboard but the end outcome was some minor cuts, bumps ans bruises. I was driving and didnt really get a scratch. Our dobermans were in the back seat and did surprisingly well. Laney needed some staples for a cut on her thigh and Sete got a cut over his eye.

We have not heard from our insurance company yet but im sure the truck will be a total loss. The trailer landed on its side and slid about 150 feet to a stop in the center of I70. I didnt really get to look at the trailer so im not sure how bad it is. I insured it before we picked it up so we should be ok either way.

Bottom line is we are basically ok because we were using our seat belts.

Mike

http://www.donutshredder.com/images/Picture%20324.jpg
http://www.donutshredder.com/images/Picture%20325.jpg
http://www.donutshredder.com/images/Picture%20326.jpg

fullgrownbear
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Glad to hear that you're ok. Seatbelts do indeed save lives.

Looks like you fared well. Did the Colorado Stat Patrol write you a ticket?

chad23
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Man that sucks, glad to hear you and family are ok.

I for the longest time would not wear my seatbelt. Then I dawn on me that I take every precaution to put my helmet, jacket, riding pants, gloves and much more just to go to the store, and I wont put the belt on. So I do wear mine as a precaution to what could happen.

SO +1 on wearing it, and Mike again glad you are ok

XJ600s
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Glad everyone is okay. The wind and trailers do not mix well. A good friend of mine and his family (2 dogs in the back too) were driving their Xterra pulling a trailer and a huge gust came up on them at highway speeds (60mph). The dogs were not harmed, and the Xterra rolled like a champ. Granted it was a total loss, the main cabin was very well reinforced and didn't cave in a bit.

Seat belts are life savers and I don't know how some people think they don't help. I'm almost surprised they haven't started making a vehicle starter and seat-belt circuit to prevent the car from starting if there is weight in a seat but the seat-belt isn't fastened.

Tipys
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 06:53 PM
XJ its cause it is still a choice to not wear a seat belts. Now I have always worn mine but lately since I started riding I seem to forget it alot more offen

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Wow...Mike I'm really glad to hear you and Roberta are relatively ok. The Dobe's too.

Seems like we just don't get it until something like this actually happens to us.

Good reminder and post.

The Black Knight
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Wow!! Mike that sucks man. I remember your truck that was a nice pick-up. Amazing what a gust of wind can do. Glad to hear all involved just have minor bumps and bruises and nothing major. You'd think there would have been more bodily harm from the looks of the photos.

Hope all is well man, God Bless

TFOGGuys
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Wow Mike :shocked:

Glad to hear that you, Roberta, and the kids are ok.

ChrisCBX
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Sorry about all of the damage. Good news that there were no serious injuries.

I'm a trailer newbie. Just bought a 6 X 12 bike trailer. Its a very light trailer and I had wondered about how it will handle high cross winds (especially unloaded).

Your story will make me extra careful in the future.

Chris

Matrix
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Glad your ok Mike. Sorry to hear about the accident but glad everyone is ok.

dirkterrell
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Damn Mike that really sucks. Seatbelts FTW. Glad everybody came through ok.

Dirk

konichd
Fri Mar 27th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Glad everyone is relatively OK, it could have been much worse.

Zach929rr
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Happy to hear you're o.k. OP.

Did the Colorado Stat Patrol write you a ticket?

Seriously. Fuck CSP. :scream1: Can't believe they wrote a ticket for an 'unnamed person' who wrecked their bike up by Loveland. Failure to stay in lane :banghead:. He was going to write a wreckless ticket. Sigh.

Vehicle 1
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Crap dude, one day we were talking about your trip no problem, and the next day you get hit by something like this. Damn you just never know....

Glad you guys and the K9s are ok too.

And YES, I always use my seat belt. If I don't, I end up leaning forward "looking for it" with my chest, its weird.

Glad all is relatively good man.

D.

Filo
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 07:05 AM
"Hi. I am Mike and I do all my own stunts."

Glad you are all OK.

Sully
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Glad to hear you guys are ok

Bueller
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 08:55 AM
What size trailer?
That really sucks, almost had a similar situation in Wy. on the way to MMP, But mine was wash off a truck we passed combined with a cross wind at 85mph and I thought the trailer was going to pass us.
Glad to hear you guys are good.

= Buckeye Jess =
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Mike - so happy to hear that the important cargo escaped major injury! It is always frightening when the "freak accidents" catch up with you like that. Makes it that much more important to assure you take all of the precautions that you can, all of the time! (i.e. seat belts and insurance)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Wow! Sorry to hear it, glad you guys are ok. I ALWAYS have worn my seat belt, luckily never needed it.

Best of luck!

fullgrownbear
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Happy to hear you're o.k. OP.

Seriously. Fuck CSP. :scream1: Can't believe they wrote a ticket for an 'unnamed person' who wrecked their bike up by Loveland. Failure to stay in lane :banghead:. He was going to write a wreckless ticket. Sigh.

Elaborate?

And Mike, If they wrote you a ticket, You should definitely fight it. Was there a high wind advisory in effect? Any signs to warn the passing motorists?

It's just a good thing you didn't cross into the oncoming lanes of traffic and get nailed by a Semi. Glad to hear you're OK

Zach929rr
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Elaborate?

And Mike, If they wrote you a ticket, You should definitely fight it. Was there a high wind advisory in effect? Any signs to warn the passing motorists?

It's just a good thing you didn't cross into the oncoming lanes of traffic and get nailed by a Semi. Glad to hear you're OK

An unnamed person I was riding with wrecked at the Loveland CO-34 exit going into the Westbound clover. Tried to get in front of a car to make the exit and caught sand early in the merge. Tried to take it into the dirt and ride it out, however the dirt was so soft the front tire just bit when the person got to dirt. Bike got dumped... probably in the $2-3k range for damage. I didn't see anybody calling the 5-0. I kindly asked the people that had stopped to make sure the person was ok (I stopped as soon as I saw it happen and made sure they were ok) not to call anybody as the person was fine. 20 minutes later a CSP shows up and starts talking about giving a wreckless driving ticket. He evidently decided against it and wrote a failure to maintain lane position ticket since "no one else was injured".

Fuck CSP. Granted, he didn't give wreckless and I understand he was 'doing his job', but seriously. Add insult to injury, you jerkbags. :scream1:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:58 PM
An unnamed person I was riding with wrecked at the Loveland CO-34 exit going into the Westbound clover. Tried to get in front of a car to make the exit and caught sand early in the merge. Tried to take it into the dirt and ride it out, however the dirt was so soft the front tire just bit when the person got to dirt. Bike got dumped... probably in the $2-3k range for damage. I didn't see anybody calling the 5-0. I kindly asked the people that had stopped to make sure the person was ok (I stopped as soon as I saw it happen and made sure they were ok) not to call anybody as the person was fine. 20 minutes later a CSP shows up and starts talking about giving a wreckless driving ticket. He evidently decided against it and wrote a failure to maintain lane position ticket since "no one else was injured".

Fuck CSP. Granted, he didn't give wreckless and I understand he was 'doing his job', but seriously. Add insult to injury, you jerkbags. :scream1:
Um, it's RECKless, if it's WRECK-less, there's no accident, get it?:)

eklew
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Damn, Mike, glad you, Roberta and the dobermans are okay. Looks like your truck is at Copart in Brighton. Let me know if you need any advice on the total loss process with your insurance company.

Zach929rr
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Um, it's RECKless, if it's WRECK-less, there's no accident, get it?:)

W's happen to creep in here and there after a few beers. :drink:

sprtbkbabe
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 05:17 PM
HOLY Shnikes! That could F up a perfectly good day. Glad you guys & pups are ok!

To think, you didn't have a load of bikes and goodies that would have also been banged around in the back/trailer, etc...

Slo
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Mike, glad to hear you, your woman, and dogs are ok. Crazy what happened though, glad you weren't going even faster.

MetaLord 9
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Damn, glad to hear everyone's ok, pooches & all. Two big votes for seatbelts, and two MORE big votes for insurance. Good thinking on insuring the trailer first.

~Barn~
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Holy smokes Mike. I'm glad you all came out of this realitively okay!

hcr25
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Thank for all the support. The trailer is a 24foot half living quarters half garage. I didnt get a ticket and the state patrol officer was very professional. At the crash scene he took my license and paper work and said he would meet us at the hospital. About a hour later he rolled up to the hospital gave me all my info and took a staement from me about what happened. Here is the cool part, he then offered to walk my dobermans so i could go inside the hospital to see how Roberta was doing. I was inside for 15 to 20 minutes. When i came out i couldnt find him or my dogs. He was clear on the other side of a park accross the street walking my dogs. He even picked up poop after them.
He is a stand up guy who went way beyond helping us.
mike

Slo
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
That's awesome to hear, something good about them....

honey
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
Paramedic for 8 years. NEVER took an accident 'victim' to the ER that was wearing a seatbelt.

** Except for the Chevy Vega that was hit by the belly dumper semi carrying 78,000 lbs. of gravel.

= Buckeye Jess =
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
Paramedic for 8 years. NEVER took an accident 'victim' to the ER that was wearing a seatbelt.
** Except for the Chevy Vega that was hit by the belly dumper semi carrying 78,000 lbs. of gravel.
LOL.... I was gonna say! There are some of those grinders that NOTHING will save you from...