PDA

View Full Version : Maui!! who's been and what shouldnt i miss out on

firefghtr
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM
so im going to maui in may for my honeymoon. and i deff want to hit up everything awesome.

who's been there and knows some awesome places and spots

Sully
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 08:58 AM
SAVE$$$$ NOW, LOT'S OF IT!!!! Hawaii is soooo expensive, but beautiful. I've only been to Kauai, so I can't help other than SAVE $$$ NOW!! lol....

firefghtr
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
roger that ghost rider. i copy

luckaly the flight and hotel and rental are already paid for but im sure like ur saying the lil adventures are expensive as hell. one bad ass thing is a my brother is paying for a helicopter ride all around the islands. that will be an experiance of a lifetime, fo show

TFOGGuys
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM
If you're staying at Kaanapaali, make time to do the Hana Road up to the north end of the island. Haleakala at sunrise is very cool too. +100 on the $.

GixxerCarrie
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Ummm...Rent a car. Maui is wide open so its the one place its good to have one. dinner. If you drive to Hana...you can see the black beaches. All day trip though. But beautiful. You can see the Pineapple island (L?) lol and can take trips there if you like. I just like how tranquil and laid back it was compared to OAHU. Most hotels have snorkel gear that they will give you for free and you can just swim and go right outside your hotel. Some of the best fish I've seen are in Maui and Oahu. So if they have a boat trip...those are always fun.

Sully
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
:idea:.. yes, you can send Carrie and I to scout it out for you and report back... We will need a Gold AMEX to use :D

= Buckeye Jess =
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM
PM sent!

firefghtr
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM
If you're staying at Kaanapaali, make time to do the Hana Road up to the north end of the island. Haleakala at sunrise is very cool too. +100 on the $.

yea im staying on the kaanapaali beach. sounds good

black beaches sound cool. im deff gonna try som surfing and snorkling.

DFab
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 10:18 AM
go to Mt. Haleakala. It's a dormant volcano, you can drive to the top. When I went up there was cloud cover over the lower part, but nothing up high. So I was able to stand at the top and look out over a sea of clouds. It gets pretty cold up there, so bring a jacket.

I've also heard that the whole island stinks during the sugar cane harvest, or maybe it's just parts of it. Something to lookout for anyways.

Lurch
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 10:28 AM
North side by the airport is the kite surfing area, if you get a car go towards Makena(sp) golf course and drive out into the lava flows. At the end is some of the best snorkeling I have done. The road to Hana is OK but after Hana is some water falls that shouldn't be missed. When we were there they had a huge forest fire right behind our condo so it made traveling to Kaanapaali impossible for 3 days.

A great website for help is Trip Advisor. It has a ton of helpful up to date info.

ChrisCBX
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM

+1 on the Road to Hana. Beautiful. Wish I would have had one of my bikes on it.:)

leadbedr
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
If you go to Hana, You can go the rest of the way around the island and check out Jaws. If its going off there, they have some huge waves. Like 25 ft +
Also eat all the local food. Go eat at a mixed plate. get some malasads, and try some poi. Not at the same time though.
Front street in Lahina is were all the bars are at. Pretty fun. And its right on the water.
I know luau's are kinda cliche', but they are a blast. Who doesnt like a canoe full of mai tai?

King Nothing
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 05:44 PM
If you're staying at Kaanapaali, make time to do the Hana Road up to the north end of the island. Haleakala at sunrise is very cool too. +100 on the $.True. Take the Sunrise bus van trip to the top and then bike down all the way to the beach. Super fun!

pannetron
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
The Hana side of Maui is cool, way laid back compared to Kaanapali which feels like New York City to me. The road to Hana and back should be an all day affair because there are cool things to see along the way so leave EARLY if you do it and make sure it's a weekend because the big trucks also use that road on weekdays and that's makes the narrow, twisty road pretty exciting! But *do* be sure to drive at least to Paia, shop and eat breakfast or lunch at a small cafe, and then turn right, up country, to Makawao for a taste of real Maui, not just the tourist junk. Also check out Hookipa beach for the wind surfers. Also up country is the Kula district, drop by the Kula Lodge for breakfast or lunch, you can beat the heat since it's up around 4,000'. Lahaina is a bunch of tee shirt and art shops but fun to shop around and eating at Cheeseburger in Paradise or Moose McGillycuddy's is fun. One really unique thing to do is to take the submarine ride out of Lahaina! It's a real sub! Take a snorkle cruise or sunset cruise (ah, romantic!) on the Alii Nui, a cool catamaran, probably the best outfit on the island and not big enough to get crowded but make reservations in advance!. IMHO the nicest beach on the island is Keawakapu Beach south of Kihei. Big Beach in Makena State Park, south of Wailea, is also nice. And don't miss eating at Stella Blues Cafe in Kihei, great food at good prices, excellent mai tai's! Avoid south Kihei and Piilani Hwy at weekday rush hour, it gets slow. Haleakala is also way cool but once you've driven up there you'll think you were back in CO, windy and cold, Hawaii is all about the ocean and beaches so hurry back down! Buy some guide books NOW and plan a few day trips, there is just too much to do in any one trip!

pg_rider
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
If you do only ONE thing be sure it's to see Warren and Annabelle's Dinner and Magic Show (http://warrenandannabelles.com/). Soooooooooooooo much fun I can't even tell you. It's right in Lahaina...

firefghtr
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM
thanks for the input all!

pannetron
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I forgot to mention seeing Iao Valley State Park in Wailuku. Hike in to see the Iao Needle.

honey
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
How about Honolulu? I am planning to go the end of May. Any suggestions?

pannetron
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Honolulu is like a little Tokyo, crowded big city, okay if that's what twists your crank. For real Hawaii, head for the North Shore, Pipeline and Sunset Beach, Waimea State Park or towns along the west side. Lots to see and do on Oahu away from the big city. Of course there's Pearl Harbor if you're into history. The Polynesian Cultural Center on the NE side is interesting, odd though that it is owned by Mormons! Try to find an authentic luau somewhere.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Honolulu is like a little Tokyo, crowded big city, okay if that's what twists your crank. For real Hawaii, head for the North Shore, Pipeline and Sunset Beach, Waimea State Park or towns along the west side. Lots to see and do on Oahu away from the big city. Of course there's Pearl Harbor if you're into history. The Polynesian Cultural Center on the NE side is interesting, odd though that it is owned by Mormons! Try to find an authentic luau somewhere.

Stay out of Honolulu as much as possible...unless you want to stay in and see what any other large city has to offer. Like pannetron mentioned, get out and see the other areas of Oahu.

Some suggestions would be, the North Shore is great...visit Matsumoto's Shaved Ice up there in Haleiwa.

http://www.matsumotoshaveice.com/flavors.htm

If you want to get away and do some light hiking go to the Pali Lookout...there are several trails that branch off from there...nice views.

http://www.portaloha.com/SecretsOfHawaii/PaliLookout.htm

Sandy Beach is a blast...large shore breaks to body/boogie board, so be careful.

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=556579

And if you want to head to another island like Maui, flights can be had for about $50-60 each way and about 30 mins. or so.

honey
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Luv shaved ice and the outdoors - the hike looks great. Thanks for the info!