PDA

View Full Version : Need TURN SIGNAL WIRING help ASAP

sugarrey
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Wrong place I know...but I need answers ASAP!!!

99 r1
has oem turn signals (bulb)
trying to install lockhart phillips turn signals (led's)

Here is the issue

The bike has 3 wires coming out of it:
1. blue with red stripe
2. brown
3. black

The OEM turn signals that work (bulbed) have:
1. green
2. black
3. blue

The new LP led lights have:
1. yellow
2. black

HOW THE FUC* do I hook these up so they work???

Tipys
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM
One of the 3 is a power run by a relay one is a ground find those 2 then hook the yellow to power then the black to the ground

longrider
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM
The blue/red is the running light, that is the one you dont hook to anything. The black is the ground, I am showing a brown on the left signal and a green on the right signal for teh signal light. (these are main wiring harness colors) What I do is cut the plug with a couple inches of wire off the turn signal so I dont have to hack up a $100+ wiring harness and then splice the stock connector to the new signal. The black will go to black and the yellow will go to the brown or green (you will have to follow the wire with the connector plugged in ot see what color the brown and green become)

sugarrey
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Longrider and Tipys thanks for the help....Although it still doesn't work...Yet when I plug in the OEM turn signal everything is fine.

I have also been reading about people having to add load resistors and possibly modifying the relay to work with LED's....Any truth in this? Also, forgot to mention I did in the past 2 weeks put in a tail light intergrator which enabled me to change out the bulbs rear signals with and all in one LED which works great......But it did make the flash rate faster, thus the reason for me asking about the load factor.

sugarrey
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
This is right off LOCKHART PHILLIPS website......Ain't this some shit!

L.E.D. Easy Plug Relay Yamaha (27813)

Product details
* Easy Plug Relay
* Direct replacement to the O.E. standard flasher relay
* Used to normalize the flash rate of any aftermarket L.E.D. signal
* No splicing or cutting of wires; just remove the old relay and plug in the new relay (application specific)
* Sold individually

longrider
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 09:57 PM
With LED front and rear the load could definitly be an issue. I would say that flasher would be your best bet, you can do it with resistors but be aware they can get rather warm.

Jim_Vess
Sat Mar 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
This is right off LOCKHART PHILLIPS website......Ain't this some shit!

L.E.D. Easy Plug Relay Yamaha (27813)

Product details
* Easy Plug Relay
* Direct replacement to the O.E. standard flasher relay
* Used to normalize the flash rate of any aftermarket L.E.D. signal
* No splicing or cutting of wires; just remove the old relay and plug in the new relay (application specific)
* Sold individually

I'm using one of these on my R6. Much easier to install than resistors and it works like a champ. :up:

sugarrey
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I wish I would of known that when I bought these turn signals for $35 I would have to spend another $35 to make them work....I hate that shit, and for this reason I will never buy their products again.....I REALLY HATE that shit!

nlh8584
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM
i have front and rear flush mount leds an i used load resistors from checkers $10 bucks and they all work but still blink fast and i kinda like it that way, then i used some left over stick on heat foil from my after market exhaust to line the inside of my tail section havent had any problems with anything melting but i always make sure to turn them off after the turn just in case

sugarrey
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 04:30 PM
what is the value of the load resistor? or is there just a standard resistor?