PDA

View Full Version : Help me check out a Project/Track bike

Zach929rr
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Newbie seeks help looking at a possible dedicated track bike (http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1071588270.html). Seller is asking $900obo, but I am terrible at haggling and don't know what to look for in motorcycles. Someone want to come help me inspect/haggle this guy down to the $600 area sometime this coming week?

Also, open to input concerning that make/model/repairs to be made/etc. As you can see, the bike needs at least a motor. Figure I would still save money buying a bike <$1000 and picking up a motor.

MikeG
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
By the looks of it, you could easily pay less. Be prepared for a garage queen

Tipys
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Newbie seeks help looking at a possible dedicated track bike (http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1071588270.html). Seller is asking $900obo, but I am terrible at haggling and don't know what to look for in motorcycles. Someone want to come help me inspect/haggle this guy down to the $600 area sometime this coming week?

Also, open to input concerning that make/model/repairs to be made/etc. As you can see, the bike needs at least a motor. Figure I would still save money buying a bike <$1000 and picking up a motor.

Before I would even buy it see if you can find a motor for it first

XJ600s
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 03:17 PM
[Shameful plug]

I am selling a 1986 Yamaha FZ600s in decent condition for $1175. I am including a ton of new parts (new tires, chain, sprockets, brake gasket kits, etc) and the engine is strong! It has a low center of gravity so it is very easy to turn. Its a 600cc but nothing compared to modern bikes so it could be an ideal bike to start out on. Here's a link to my ad, let me know if you are interested, and we may be able to work something out.

Ideally, it would only need the tires changed and fork seals replaced (new ones included too) before you could get it on the track. It comes with a clear Colorado Title and if you wanted to truly make it track only, you could pick up race fairings from either Beasley or Airtech as both companies sell fairings for this bike.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1096128049.html

Oh, located in Boulder.

[/plug]

Bueller
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I would get the gear you need and then go ride a track day or 2 before I would dump $ into a track whore, remember the bike will be subject to extra stress compared to a street bike, so starting out with a mechanically sound machine would be a preferable situation. If your bike shits the bed in your first session you still own that trackday, you just paid $200 to watch.
Your best bet is find a set up trackbike so you aren't forking out $ to get it ready. The best value is to let others buy the race goodies and then sell the bike at a huge loss. End of race season sees the majoriy of bikes for sale.

Bueller
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Or get a Motard and go to IMI cheaply and often :lol:

Desmodromico
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Check the WERA and MRA forums for tons of track/race prepped bikes for sale.

I wouldn't bother with looking for something on CL unless you want a specific year/model to start with or are looking to try to part some of it out to recoup the cost of track prepping.

Zach929rr
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the input here (again!!!!) guys :up:. After the responses given, I'll ditch this completely. Not looking for anything specific make/model wise, just trying to find something cheap since cash is a little tight. I just don't want to take my only bike (929) out to the track and have something happen. Checking out the MRA forums now, although shipping would be an arm and a leg :/

Also, it looks like cbr600f3 engines are about $600 on the bay.

Sean
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I just don't want to take my only bike (929) out to the track and have something happen. Then don't crash :dunno:
+1 with Bueller. A track bike is a great thing(although I wouldn't know, I don't have one...yet), but make sure it is where you want to throw your cash. Some people don't like the track after riding it, some do.

As said above, watch the MRA boards and you may be able to pick one up for less than you can convert that one. I've seen them as low as $2k-2500. Don't get me wrong, it might be fun to restore that bike, but if your looking at cost efficiance and time, it may not be worth it.

Zach929rr
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Then don't crash :dunno:

Thanks Sean :lol: You never know. I suppose I should do the responsible thing and just gear up, prep the bike, and hitch a ride to the next track day to see if I like it. Maybe I could just beat on the 929 until it wants to quit on me :think:

SamuraiX
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
The bike will be fine, for a even an intermediate track day.

McVaaahhh
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM

You could just talk to me, as that's my ad. :D

Tipys
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 09:29 PM
^^^^LOL i think this is a first

Zach929rr
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
You could just talk to me, as that's my ad. :D

Oh no!!! My plans have been discovered.

lightspeed
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks Sean :lol: You never know. I suppose I should do the responsible thing and just gear up, prep the bike, and hitch a ride to the next track day to see if I like it.

Yup that's what I'd do. See if you like track riding first and then invest in a second bike dedicated to the track. If 929 is running right...I wouldn't beat on it at the track since if you kill it...you'll be completely out of a bike...street or track. Then you'll be caging it...which IMO is just horrible w/out the option of jumping on ur bike.:no:

UglyDogRacing
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 10:20 AM
you're better off buying something like this thats ready to go- http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=8262 If you bought that old F3, you'd be into it for the same when all is said and done.

rybo
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Yup that's what I'd do. See if you like track riding first and then invest in a second bike dedicated to the track. If 929 is running right...I wouldn't beat on it at the track since if you kill it...you'll be completely out of a bike...street or track. Then you'll be caging it...which IMO is just horrible w/out the option of jumping on ur bike.:no:

The issue with crashing isn't damaging the bike. It's damaging your body. Rule #1 at trackdays....Don't Crash.

Sure, wrecking a nice 929 would suck, but nothing compared to breaking bones, or getting a head injury. That being said, if you're going fast on the street, the track is far safer for both you and your bike.

My advice? Tape up the 929, take the coolant out and come try a trackday. If it's for you THEN start looking for a dedicated ride.

s