PDA

View Full Version : plumbing/solder help asap!

Sparker
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I need two valves soldered onto a couple of brass pipes. ive got all the parts, solder, flux, but no torch and no skills. we are without water right now. looking to get some help tonite if possible. i will compensate with money or beer or something! please lemme know if anyone can help. near the constitution and peterson area. 719.271.6037

Zach929rr
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I would, but I don't have any MAPP gas laying around. MAPP makes super quick work of plumbing situations vs. Propane. I learned that one the hard way.

Sparker
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
ive tried and i just cant get a good solder on it. always a leak!

teamhypoxia
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM
clean the pipes with scratch cloth (sand paper in a pinch)

kalibra
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM
...the secret is to clean all the surfaces that solder will touch THOROUGHLY.Sandpaper the surface ,then apply flux,then heat it up with the torch flame,then apply the solder.You can buy a set (torch and mapp cyclinder) at homedepot for about $40 on any given day,or $29 sometimes on sale.Feel free to call me anytime if you have questions,I would help directly but I live in Denver and my torch and plumbing tools are 52miles north of Denver on a job I am doing ( Berthoud).CJ

kalibra
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM
also,depending on the situation you might be able to purchase COMPRESSION valves instead of the ones that need to be soldered on.Like I said call if you need help.My cell # is in my sig.

Sparker
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
ive tried a couple different things. i tried the compression fitting. on one it worked and the other it didnt. im going to wait till my buddy comes by in the morning and he can do it. hes good at it. i am the suck at it. thanks for the info and help guys.

dirkterrell
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
As others have said, clean the pipe and the fitting with sandpaper/brush, apply the paste. The key to getting a good seal is to apply the heat to one side of the fitting and put the solder on the opposite side. Keep touching the solder to it and when it gets hot enough, it will melt and pull into the joint giving you a good seal.

Dirk

ZX9Rider
Sun Mar 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
As others have said, clean the pipe and the fitting with sandpaper/brush, apply the paste. The key to getting a good seal is to apply the heat to one side of the fitting and put the solder on the opposite side. Keep touching the solder to it and when it gets hot enough, it will melt and pull into the joint giving you a good seal.

Dirk
+1 what he said.

Bashed
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Sparker,
If your buddy cant/didnt show let me know I can hook you up.
I did Landscaping for 12 years and was the "copper" guy to hookup all the taps and systems to the main H2o suppy.Its easy once you do it some, just like anything esle.
Peace Bash

Devaclis
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Is there anything Bashed can't do? Man, if you and Silva lived within 3 miles of me, and I lived next door to Rybo, I would charge people to touch me.

Sparker
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks bash. he is on his way. he has all the right stuff for it but if he fails i will be sure to let you know. hopefully he gets it cause i need to flush the toliet!

dallas
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM
If it's yellow, be mellow,

If it's brown, flush it down!!!!!

Sparker
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 09:10 AM
all is good now at casa de sparker. well except for the hail and thunder. thanks for all the help guys. he did everything in about 10 mins. i spent about 6 hours on it yesterday and ruined 5 valves. expensive experience. ive never been good at solder.

modette99
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Just to let others know, you can also buy connectors that cost like .20 cents more each but have solder already in the connector. All you then need to do is clean the one end, put the past on and put the pipe together, heat up the end and the solder melts and there you go. I always use a little extra to make sure. (I noticed home depot does not carry the stuff out here, Maybe ACE or a smaller place).

Also make sure it is dry, one bead of water will just screw you over.

It is called Solder Ring Copper Pipe Fitting, they look like this:
http://www.industrial-eq.ru/catalog/pics/Solder_Ring_Copper_Pipe_Fittings.jpg