PDA

View Full Version : steering damper

davvid
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I'm in the market for steering damper for my R1. Any advice on which ones to buy and avoid would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

firefghtr
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 06:09 AM
its DAMPER

RAGrote
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Scott's
You'll never be disappointed.
Affordable, easy to mount, works GREAT for road OR track.
Scott's clicky thingy... (http://www.scottsperformance.com/index.php)

I had one on a RC51 and it was a fantastic product backed up by people who'll help you set it up if you need. It's also rebuildable so if you have your bike for 4 or more years you can have a "new" whenever you want. I had mine 3 years and it still worked like new.

Hoopty
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Stay away from Hyperpro, unless of course you don't mind it leaking oil like a motha-phucka within a few weeks. :D I have a Matris damper on my SV, and love it. 8)

Boy Scout
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Stay away from Hyperpro, unless of course you don't mind it leaking oil like a motha-phucka within a few weeks. :D I have a Matris damper on my SV, and love it. 8)
Hoop,

I have heard both good and bad regarding the Hyperpro's. I know early on there were issues with oil leaking, but have also heard that the issue has been resolved in newer models. Could you let me know how current your info/experience with these is? Are the current models leaking or are you referring to the problem of the older models?

Thanks for any info.

Hoopty
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I haven't heard anything new in say, the last 6 months or so. I have no idea if it's been fixed, but I know a lot of people that had problems in the past. :dunno:

Boy Scout
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 09:57 PM
OK, thanks! I was considering them, but maybe not. Six months is fairly recent. Makes me wonder if some of the new model reports I had read just hadn't had them in use long enough for them to start leaking yet.

Hoopty
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 11:01 AM
:dunno: I would stay away from them if I were you, too many other great products out there to take a chance on the Hyperpro...

fast954
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I got my hyperpro CSC for 329.99 for my slap happy 954. It's coming in today, already on the UPS truck just need to wait for it to be delivered. I'll let you know what I think of it.

I've got the newer model also. Hoopty, if yours was purple it's the old model. The new ones look like this and are designed MUCH better and I've only heard good things about them from racers and stunters alike.

http://tournay.free.fr/nl25/photo/SD.gif

Hoopty
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I never bought one, thanks. :D Yes, that is not the same model I saw with leaking problems...

BlueDevil
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I have a GPR on my race bike and I love it. Same style as Scotts.

I also have an Ohlins on my R1 street bike. I also love it. Got it from tobefast.com, with Graves mount for ~400.00

fast954
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I got my hyperpro on. It's very high quality as far as I can tell, the mounts are gold, they also warrantee it for 2 years if it starts to leak or fail in any way they'll replace it.

I've had it up to high enough speeds to test it out. I've set the damper to 15 out of 22 hardness. I haven't experienced any headshake yet, and barely notice it at slow speeds. I used to get a ton of headshake shifting to second gear at high RPMS even going in a straight line, and it's amazingly stable now.

I can't contest to the longevity of it but as far as damping it works awesome.

Devil954
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I have a scotts on my 954 it is great you can fine tune it a bit more than the gpr its been on my bike for two seasons and I have had no leaks or problems , it is super easy to mount . I would definately recomend spending the little extra money for it I think I paid 450.00 @ starcycle.com

King Nothing
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 08:22 PM
this may be a stupid question but oh well, I'll ask it anyway....why are dampers so pricey? Just seems kinda expensive for a tiny little part. Be gentle with your replies! :lol:

Bueller
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 08:26 PM
this may be a stupid question but oh well, I'll ask it anyway....why are dampers so pricey? Just seems kinda expensive for a tiny little part. Be gentle with your replies! :lol:

:wtf:

Because they are kool, and all the kids got 'em :up:

King Nothing
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Damn you! When I saw you had replied I knew it was gonna be some smart-ass comment! Now, gimme the real answer or I'll send Bertha over to "take care" of your precious Buell!

Devil954
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Simple answer "SAFETY IS PRICELESS" or they just know that it is a race requirement and they can charge whatever they want :lol:

Bueller
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 08:39 PM
You were right it was a stupid question! :doublefinger:

Supply and demand :lol:

King Nothing
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 08:48 PM
i can understand the saftey aspect but if it was simple supply and demand issue, i find it hard to belive that they can't make enough of the bastards.

Bueller
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 05:27 AM
They can make enough, it's just the demand for them is from the demographic that has large disposable assets. Racers are forced to buy them, most would buy them anyway because they do work. Street riders/Stunters buy 'em to either correct/prevent a handleing problem or for the Bling factor (hence the colorful package :) ).
Doesn't your SV already have a factory one?

Mista Black
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 05:44 AM
ok bueller, do you realize you're asking doug that question?? :lol:

BlueDevil
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 06:08 AM
U should be able to get a Scotts just about anywhere now for the R1 @ $404. I know Indysuperbike.com has them for that.

King Nothing
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Doesn't your SV already have a factory one?nope

Jenny
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 07:57 AM
The only experience I have with dampers is also GPR. I liked it very much on my R6.

Hoopty
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Doug- steering dampers are technically shocks. Ever check out the price of aftermarket shocks? They ain't cheap. You can buy stock GSXR dampers (non-adjustable) for 10-15 bucks all day on ebay, but you are going to pay big bucks if you want a quality aftermarket one. Same thing with shocks, you can buy a stock one for dirt cheap, but aftermarket will cost you. Hope this helps. :)

fast954
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 08:44 AM
They can make enough, it's just the demand for them is from the demographic that has large disposable assets. Racers are forced to buy them, most would buy them anyway because they do work. Street riders/Stunters buy 'em to either correct/prevent a handleing problem or for the Bling factor (hence the colorful package :) ).
Doesn't your SV already have a factory one?

I would agree with the statement "safety is priceless". Theres a lot of things I'd rather spend my money on than a piece of aluminum. All though the first time you ride with one on a liter bike it pretty much pays for itself. Considering last time I rode without one I was coming back from getting gas with only a helmet and gloves on and got a tank slapper merging in 2nd gear on the highway and was thrown off at 80mph.

King Nothing
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 12:28 PM
thanks for the informative reply, hoopty. :up:

Hoopty
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 12:51 PM
You're welcome, Dougie. :P

wraithR1
Sun Jan 30th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I have an Ohlins that works great. The money spent was well worth. R1 front ends tend to get a little squirrelly under even moderate acceleration.

Funny...when I was checking out dampers I decided to stop at Vickery. Low and behold Bill Vickery is behing the counter and quotes me on a price. I told him that I could get it for so and so price off the internet. He drops the price to below the internet price and now has customer for life. Vickery owns.