PDA

View Full Version : Questions about camera lenses/sizes...Landscape photography.

sky_blue
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Yes, I've tried looking through photo forums, but all the info I find expects me to actually know something about cameras already, and I don't.

I shoot (mostly) with a Nikon Coolpix 8800. It's an 8mp digital, and it's big and has street cred like a SLR, but it's not one. The gigantic zoom on this thing is awesome. I frequently carry it my backpack or tankbag sans-case. It's been repaired once, but has shot years and tens of thousands of photos.
http://www.yehey.com/gadgets/uploadedimages/Nikon8800.jpg

So this summer I am going on a once in a lifetime trip to the western Aleutians (for work). I toyed with the idea of getting a new dSLR, but really, I'm comfortable with what I have and I know what buttons to push. I just want some accessories. Also, I'll be working 7 days a week, and it will freqently be raining and I'll have muddy hands I won't want to put all over a new camera. (I have a waterproof backup if this one dies)

I'll be mostly shooting landscapes. Lots of ocean, very green vegetation, and blue and/or grey skies. So I want a wide angle lens converter. The wide angle from Nikon screws directly on and is $150:shocked:. There are wide angles on ebay (that require size adaptor rings) for $30.

Are ebay, hong kong lenses crap?
What is the difference between a wide angle lens, and a wide angle macro lens? I know macro is for close ups--I don't need that. Will they both still work for landscapes, or should I get one specifically without a macro?
I need size converters. My camera is Nikon's propietary 53.5mm. There are converters to go down to 52mm or up to 55mm or 58mm or more. What size should I go to?
Filters-- I need a circular polarizer. I see a huge range in the prices of these also. Are there some to avoid or are they all the same?
Is there something obvious I am forgetting here or should know?
I'd like to spend maybe $100-150 in new bits for my camera (uv filter, CPL filter, wide angle, possibly a 2x telephoto, 1 or 2 adaptor rings). Really, if I spent more than that I'd probably be better off getting a new camera.

Any info appreciated.

honey
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
You can usually find some good tips on the manufacturer website. In the event that you don't find the answers you need - I stopped in at the Wolf Camera on Havana in Aurora the man there was very helpful and informative.

asp_125
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I think that would be a great work experience!

I keep a 1a skylight (or UV) filter on all my lenses, cheap insurance against dirt and scratches; figure it's way cheaper to break a filter than a lens. CPL filter is probably the only other must have filter. Beyond that.. photoshop.

How close can your standard lens get? Macro is handy if you're taking pics of wildflowers and little woodland critters. But sounds like from Steve's Digicam site yours already can focus down to 8 inches.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/nikon8800_pg6.html

InlineSIX24
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I would go with the Nikon one. Thats still cheap compared to $1000-$1500 for SLRs. I tried a couple of the cheaper ones because they came in a multi piece kit and I thought that would be nice to have the other lenses. Within a month some of the black coating on the inside of the lenses flaked off and stuck to the glass inside with no way to get rid of it. One note about the add-on lenses for non-SLR is that you probably won't be able to zoom all the way out with the lense on. They usually start to distort or show black around the edge when zoomed out 100%

rforsythe
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
My $0.02: Spend the bucks for high quality glass if you're serious. Good lenses will make average cameras take great photos. Cheap lenses will make great cameras take crappy photos. (Both of these assuming you know how to take a good picture to being with...)

arcatacat
Mon Mar 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I don't know much about Nikon, because I've always shot with Canon, but I'd say to make sure you're getting all metal adapters. Anything that's plastic is a piece of shit. The adapters work well if you just want to play with different types of shooting, but they're obviously not made for pro work.

I've found that with photo stuff off ebay, you basically get what you pay for. Buy something that's dirt cheap and it's shit. Spend a little more money and you get something that at least works, even if it doesn't magically make your photos super-duper.

Also, you're going to be taking the adapter off and putting it back on frequently if you go that route. There's some things they're great for, and other things they suck for. With lots of rain and mud, that's going to get messy. A clear UV filter that you can leave on the end of the adapter tube is going to save your ass. And your lens, probably.

:)

Good luck.