PDA

View Full Version : Chain cleaning question

metalnicx
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM
To clean my chain I use Orange Degresser and a chain brush. Is this too harsh for the O-Rings? I've heard many people use Kerosine...

~Barn~
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Kerosene is what I use. It's what the manufs recommend and it's super cheap.

UglyDogRacing
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Manufacturers recommend Kerosene. See #7 on http://www.didchain.com/question.html

metalnicx
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I usually make a mess, so will that just evaporate off the driveway?

Devil954
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I usually use WD-40 it seems to work pretty well

~Barn~
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I know that the WD will degrease it for sure, but isn't that stuff known for breaking down the O-rings? :dunno:

King Nothing
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 09:47 PM
WD40 has a tendency to ATTRACT dirt and grime after it makes your chain all nice and shiny again.

JOE!!!!!!
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 10:03 PM
WD40 is roughly 50% white spirits (standard Stoddard solvent), 25% mineral oil, and a very small mix of rust inhibitors, fragrance, etc. The solvent will do a decent job of cleaning, and leave a very thin film of mineral oil behind for lube. Is this good enough for a chain? Maybe, if you use it every single day. This stuff is not recommended for heavy load bearing apps. Use it to clean (it will NOT hurt O- or X-rings), but after it dries use a good heavy lube.

Boy Scout
Mon Jan 24th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I usually make a mess, so will that just evaporate off the driveway?
Pick up one of those aluminum drip pans (about 2' x 3' x 1") at your local auto shop. They're typically put under a car to keep the oil drips from staining the concrete, but they also keep cleaners, chain lube, etc. off the floor/driveway as well.

I use kerosene. You can find it at Home Depot / Lowes. It's generally around the painting supplies.

The GECCO
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 12:01 AM
(it will NOT hurt O- or X-rings)

I disagree, Green. WD-40 will deteriorate rubber over time, the question is does the person use it enough that the O-rings still won't last longer than the chain (before it exceeds the stretch tolerance). It depends, but I'd use kerosene just to be safe. :)

metalnicx
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I'm gunna go with the Kerosine. The degresser was working great, but I'm just concerned that it might be too harsh for the O-rings.

Feathered upstart!
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I think the real question is why would you lube your chain?

RAGrote
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Yes, degreaser will destroy your O-rings.

JOE!!!!!!
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 05:45 PM
The WD40 thing has been hashed to death and resurrection and back again on many a bike forum. Just about any solvent-based whatever you clean your chain with will hurt the O-rings eventually. But, I believe, the chain will wear out before O-ring deterioration becomes a problem. For most people. Just my opinion. Myself, I use kerosene to clean, and 90W gear lube. Messy but cheap and it works. BTW, the British apparently call kerosene "paraffin" which is confusing to us Yanks with Triumphs.

Joe

Devil954
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I dont douse my chain with it I spray it on a rag and wipe the grease off of the chain and wipe the excess WD-40 off with a clean rag , then use Bel-Ray chain lube I replace my chain once a year so I really dont worry about the rings , I dont have the patience to remove my chain and clean it in kerosene every time it gets dirty :lol: . On a side note Bart from TK told me to use WD-40 and in Bart we trust so it cant be that bad , unless he is trying to boost his chain sales :lol: Just joking Bart

Stuart Little
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM
If I had a chain :) I'd definitely put it on a stand and spin the back tire... I've seen many smart pictures of this :P

voncon
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Just yesterday, my good friend stops by on his 03 R1 with 11K miles on it. Here you guys are hashing out this stuff... and it looks like he's never cleaned the bike let alone the chain!!!!

I pressure wash my stuff -- I know -- Bad Journo guy --- then I use either Bell-Ray or PJ1 Blue Label to re-lube it. 14K miles and still looks and wears very well!

Kurt

wraithR1
Sun Jan 30th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I use Simple Green with no troubles. I'm sure there are harder solvents or WD40 that may be more effective, but Simple Green works well enough. It is extremely messy, however.

Rick T.
Sun Jan 30th, 2005, 04:41 PM
WD-40 work excellent. Just clean it RELIGIOUSLY. If you're a lazy ass... then find a good chain lube of your choice.

Mista Black
Sun Jan 30th, 2005, 04:49 PM
no no, if you're a true lazy ass you ride a shaft drive bike :D

Geology Rocks
Sun Jan 30th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Ok this mind sound crazy, but I did some tests on my skydiving gear, has moving metal parts, and I WD40 was the worst of the bunch that I tested for reducing grime and build up.

I use either Kerosene or Food grade teflon lubricant....it doesnt attract build up which is very important.

Joe

Bueller
Sun Jan 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM
...........or belt drive :lol:

~Barn~
Sun Jan 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Kerosene is miracle serum.

Rick T.
Sun Jan 30th, 2005, 05:49 PM
If you want quick, easy and effective, then WD40 is it. Used this stuff over the last decade on all my bike with zero issues. A couple of minutes before each ride and you're good to go...

I DO have Motul Chain Lube in my garage though. :)

~Barn~
Sun Jan 30th, 2005, 06:01 PM
We're talking about chain cleaning here though, not chain lubing.

(Not that I'd lube with WD-40 either, but I'm just sayin'...)

Rick T.
Sun Jan 30th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Without a doubt:
1. Remove chain
2. Soak in Kerosene
3. Re-install chain
4. Lube with favorite chain-lube of your choice
5. Ride off into the sunset

:):)

metalnicx
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Well I never expected to have this many posts. Thanks guys!

Stuart Little
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 01:52 PM
You post a question or statement, and you will get responses :D

PS Always put your bike on a stand and get the rear tire going about 60mph before trying to do anything with your chain :doublefinger: