PDA

View Full Version : Bent Steel Frame

Rick T.
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Can a bent steel frame (older CBR 600s) be "bent back" satisfactorily as not to become a time-bomb - i.e. breaking (snapping) again down the road? I know aluminum cannot be bent back safely - but is it not the same for steel frames?

In other words - can a CBR 600F3 with a "bent-back-into-place" frame be "safe" enough as a track bike...?

rocktboy
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 09:22 AM
it's prolly going to depend on how much "bending" was performed, it's location...etc....your best bet is to bring it to a shop that specializes in straightening bent bike frames and ask them for their expert opinion.......i've had a f3, it's super easy to go fast and learn on...great track bike. good luck.

Rick T.
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Thanks Jack. Any recommendations on local shops that can do this for me...?

UglyDogRacing
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Can a bent steel frame (older CBR 600s) be "bent back" satisfactorily as not to become a time-bomb - i.e. breaking (snapping) again down the road? I know aluminum cannot be bent back safely - but is it not the same for steel frames?

In other words - can a CBR 600F3 with a "bent-back-into-place" frame be "safe" enough as a track bike...?

Aluminum frames can safely be straightened. As for steel, I am not sure. Tony Baker is the best in town at straightening and does all the MRA bikes. His # is 720-232-0998.

Rick T.
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks Jim. I want to see this bike and will use your contact when I have the bike checked out...

BTW, I always thought that aluminum could NOT be bent back "safely" because bending causes structural weakness and may cause cracking/breaking at earlier stress loads. At least for my bicycle frame/parts that's the case... Thanks for the insight.

Bryce
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 08:51 PM
I would imagine if the frame was bent severely it might have fatigue issues but most frames are little more than tweaked

mikesf4i
Tue Jul 1st, 2003, 09:27 PM
bending aluminum causes it to work harden and become brittle. But you can bend it and straighten it a little depending on how much and where.
Steel is the same way but is much less brittle than most aluminums...