PDA

View Full Version : Getting the starter idle gear back in!

fast954
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 12:50 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~rogerbored/starter2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~rogerbored/starter1.jpg

The problem I'm having is once I get it back behind the large gear the starter idle gear is like a mm too long to fit under the starter gear. I called TFOG they say it can be done but I'm just not having any luck.

The stupid thing just fell out when I was taking my cover off to replace it.

Feathered upstart!
Tue Jan 25th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I would recomend a big god damn hammer

Hoopty
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Are you lining the teeth up correctly? :dunno:

Devaclis
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Does that gear come apart into 3 peices? If so, you may need to put it back in 1 peice at a time. We had this issue on a Yamaha 750 too, It just took a little patience.

fast954
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 10:57 AM
The gear is 1 piece. Also, everything lines up like I said it looks like it should even go on it lines up so well but it's just barely too long to fit under it. I've even tried vice grips and a hammer.

Hoopty
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I had the same problem on my GSXR the other day, but I was able to get the cover back on. When I tried to start it, all I got was clicking. Took it back apart and put it back in, everything was fine after that. The first time I had to pound it back on though, the second time it went right in. :dunno: What part of town are you in?

fast954
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM
C-470 and lucent

fast954
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Ok, after smashing the skin between my thumb and index finger I finally figured out I could put it in place by hand and then stick a screwdriver through the hole to keep pressure on it and keep it in place while I hit it with the hammer. I got it in, thanks for your help everyone.

I've been working on this for a week and now that its finally done I feel like a part of me has died. Oh well, I still have the tank I'm painting today.

By the way, does anyone know if theres any nuts that could have fallen into the engine? TFOG said I should get a magnet and fish around in the engine.

Hoopty
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Damn, practically next door to me (I work at Avaya, Lucent/470). Oh well, glad you got it figured out. 8)