PDA

View Full Version : Rampart Range Rd. didn't open today

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Apr 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM
I was pretty sure they wouldn't open the road after the snow last week. Now the whole area is closed to all vehicles except snowmobiles. Looks like we'll get more tonight, so I'm doubting it will open on the tenth, but if it does, who's itchin' to get some dirt camping in?

From the Forest Service:

Although it has been a very dry and warm Winter on the Rampart Range, due to our recent Spring snow storms and the resulting wet and muddy conditions, we will be (once again) extending the Rampart Range Seasonal Closure. Therefore, we will not be opening the Rampart Range Road on our traditional April 1 opening date this year, and furthermore, we will be closing the entire Rampart Range OHV Recreation Area to all motor vehicles (except for snowmobiles) to protect the resources from unnecessary damage.

We will continue to evaluate the conditions, and if the snow melts and the ground dries, we will plan to reopen the Rampart Range on Friday 4/10, or as soon as conditions allow.

Ron Vigil, OHV Program Manager
South Platte Ranger District
19316 Goddard Ranch Court
Morrison, CO 80465

Ricky
Wed Apr 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Wait, so Rampart Range falls under that new wilderness protection law that just passed?

Bueller
Wed Apr 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Wait, so Rampart Range falls under that new wilderness protection law that just passed?
no

GregsGSXR
Fri May 1st, 2009, 12:37 PM
Looks like it was still closed as of last Sunday (4/26/2009). Probably going to go check it out this Sunday. I am riding down there on the bike so if it is closed I will continue on and probably hit something up for lunch.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri May 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Looks like it was still closed as of last Sunday (4/26/2009). Probably going to go check it out this Sunday. I am riding down there on the bike so if it is closed I will continue on and probably hit something up for lunch.
Yup, still closed. No signs of it opening anytime soon.

http://www.rampartrange.org/

Kim-n-Dean
Fri May 1st, 2009, 12:43 PM
We've been thinking about heading to Penrose. We can camp at my friends property (80 acres) and we're less than a mile from the Penrose trail system. I didn't even know there were trails down there, except for Independence, and there are a ton of them!! We hit it last year and it is worth the drive!

GregsGSXR
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Went by today Sun 5/3. There were a lot of cars in the parking lot, people were just unloading there and hitting the trails. Not sure if you can get in trouble for that or not but no one seemed concerned. Might hit it up a little bit next weekend on the DRZ 400.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon May 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Went by today Sun 5/3. There were a lot of cars in the parking lot, people were just unloading there and hitting the trails. Not sure if you can get in trouble for that or not but no one seemed concerned. Might hit it up a little bit next weekend on the DRZ 400.
The website still says it's closed, but if the signs are not up anymore, hit it up!! If the signs are still up and people are ignoring them, it's a huge fine.

Hopefully they'll open the road soon and we can start camping!!!

GregsGSXR
Mon May 4th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I will call the ranger station for clarification this week. Maybe go this weekend for the day if it is OK. I will post when I find out.

Devaclis
Mon May 4th, 2009, 11:59 AM
We want to go this weekend too. LMK if it is open. It will be the Pies first time on anything but dirt road or pavement.

GregsGSXR
Mon May 4th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Just got off the phone with the Forest Service. Rampart is CLOSED to everything except mountain bikes, hiking,and horses. I guess there are a lot of trees down and they have to clear them before the trails are ridable. Possible opening date by Memorial Day, lets hope. And YES you will get in trouble for hitting the trails from the parking lot.

Devaclis
Mon May 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Crap. Any place else to ride around here? Close to Deer Creek maybe?

Horsman
Mon May 4th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Crap. Any place else to ride around here? Close to Deer Creek maybe?

Your Back Yard???

GregsGSXR
Wed May 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Quote from www.rampartrange.org (http://www.rampartrange.org)

Good news!

As long as we don't get any more drastic weather, Scott Dolus of the USFS as
announced that the trails will be opening this Friday, May 8th at around
mid-day.

The Forest Service has been working diligently over the last couple weeks trying
to clear trees that were downed by the heavy snowfall. Unfortunately, there are
still quite a few left and they still don't expect to be done clearing them all
by Friday, but they have been able to complete enough work to get the majority
of the trails passable.

PLEASE be courteous if you run across section still blocked by trees or snow and
try to minimize damage by trying to get around it. Turn back if you need to
rather than trying to circumvent through the woods.

Also, be aware that the state trails crew will be out next week to assist with
clearing debris and trail maintenance, so watch out for them.

-RRMMC