PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a bike

cdrewferd
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
So I almost have my wife talked into letting me get another bike. I'm looking at either an FZ1, VFR, Bandit, or possibly a Blackbird. I'm just wondering what everybody's opinions on these bikes is. I'm also wondering about comfort, gas mileage, and long haul ability.

I commute about 70 miles round trip everyday for work, and enjoy long rides on the weekend. Also need it to be reasonably comfortable for a passenger as well.

Thanks in advance for everybody's help in picking out a bike.

dirkterrell
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
I have an '07 VFR and I find it pretty comfortable. Gas mileage when cruising down the highway is about 50+ mpg, 45 mpg around town, 40 if hauling in the twisties. You can get hard side and top bags. Being 800cc, it doesn't have the grunt that a literbike does but it's still decent even two-up. If you are going to do long distance, two-up a lot, I'd look at the Blackbird or ST.

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/28sep2008/thumbnails/mDSC05022.JPG

Dirk

puckstr
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmm VFR.
I am dreaming of my next VFR, needing the CBR to sell, so I can go back to VIFFER goodness. My commute was 70 miles round trip and the CBR was too aggressive for me, but I am a FOG.

Ride a VFR and decide for yourself. The V4 is magical.

OUTLAWD
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
I am a bit biased, but Triumph makes a nice 2-up sport tourer ;)

gets 45 mpg in town, 53 on the highway, and somewhere in between in the twisties. The newer ones have higher bars, similar to an FZ1.

And the triple just sounds amazing...

good luck!

CBRSue
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
I hope your wife gives you the green light!!!

VFR, VFR, VFR!!! Dirk let me ride his bike a couple of times :), and it is super comfy! And the Blackbird looks sweet. Can you tell I love Hondas? :D

BigE
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Drew,
Another Triumph vote :up:
Before I got my bike I was looking at the same list of bikes you stated. Then I rode my Sprint and it was game over for the rest.
Triple engine character is classic, torque like a twin with the revs of a four cyl. One of the best road engines EVER. Mileage in high 40's, even hit 59.7mpg on a flat run out to Ft. Morgan running steady 70ish.
As for two-upness, consider my wife only rode two miles on the back of a buddys R1 before wanting to switch back (actually it took the two miles to get pulled over, she wanted to switch after about 1/2m).

Oh yeah, commuted on mine from Loveland to Boulder, 65-70 mile round trip for over five years (still would be but no job anymore).
Also, have done a couple 500+ mile days, a bunch of 350ish mile days and zero problems in excellent comfort.

TFOGGuys
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
I went from my 87 VFR to an 01 FZ1 about a year and a half ago. I still love my old girl, but the FZ is a far better bike in almost every respect (except character). My commute is about 29 miles each way, 6 days a week. I get an average of 50 mpg, at an average speed of (go to jail) mph. I have put a little over 16000 miles on it in the last 14 months, getting almost 11k out of the original tires. Riding position is almost CSP textbook, except for enough forward lean to lend it some sporting quality.

Tipys
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Rc51

cdrewferd
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Rc51

Would that really be a good long haul bike? I love the look of them, just not sure if it would suit my needs. Do you have any experience with them?

I'm still pretty open at this point. So throw some bikes out there that I should check out.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

Tipys
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I was only kidding RC's have very hard seats and are not good for long hauls from what I am told. Rode my friends a while back and I love that bike wish I had one.

cdrewferd
Thu Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
I went by Sun on the way home from work and they have several VFR's in stock. They have an 04, 06, 07, and an 08. I really like the look of the VFR's, just not sure how the 800cc will handle the occasional 2up riding. It will be me going back and forth to work the most, so if it doesn't to 2up very well that's ok, it won't be doing it often.

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 07:56 AM
I went by Sun on the way home from work and they have several VFR's in stock. They have an 04, 06, 07, and an 08. I really like the look of the VFR's, just not sure how the 800cc will handle the occasional 2up riding. It will be me going back and forth to work the most, so if it doesn't to 2up very well that's ok, it won't be doing it often.

The VFR is fine at occasional 2-up riding. They tweaked the VTEC engagement in the 06+ bikes to make it smoother (plus some electrical upgrades) so if you have a choice try to go with one of them, if you do decide on the VFR.

Dirk

cdrewferd
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
The VFR is fine at occasional 2-up riding. They tweaked the VTEC engagement in the 06+ bikes to make it smoother (plus some electrical upgrades) so if you have a choice try to go with one of them, if you do decide on the VFR.

Dirk

Thanks for the info Dirk. Do you happen to know if there is anywhere in Denver that rents VFR's? I would like to ride them, but Sun said they don't allow test rides because they are considered sportbikes.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice.

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the info Dirk. Do you happen to know if there is anywhere in Denver that rents VFR's? I would like to ride them, but Sun said they don't allow test rides because they are considered sportbikes.

I keep telling DK he needs to have one in the rental stable at Colorado Sportbike rentals. :) I'm not sure if anyone else rents them. I know that Colorado Powersports in Boulder has two of the white '06 models and at least one is the ABS version. PM Dave Strain (Spicee Brown) and see if they'll let you take one for a spin.

Dirk

Sean
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
I really like the look of the VFR's, just not sure how the 800cc will handle the occasional 2up riding. It will be me going back and forth to work the most, so if it doesn't to 2up very well that's ok, it won't be doing it often.+1 With Dirk. The VFR would handle it fine. I personally think it's a misconception that 600's aren't good for 2 passengers. I'm not saying they're the best, because you notice it in the acceleration response. However, I've never had a hard time doing a "spirited" canyon run 2 up on mine. I've even gotten passed on the track multiple times by someone doing 2up on a 600.:( Maybe focus more on how the seat is for the passenger. :dunno:

Bueller
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
I took the gf 2up up Bear Creek and down Deer Creek a couple of weeks ago on the 250, granted she is small but I'm not, there wasn't a lot of passing going on but I think an 800 oughta do fine :lol:

asp_125
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM

These guys say they have a VFR for rent.
http://www.tourbikes.com/bikes.html

Zach929rr
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.bosshoss.com/view_bike.asp?x=BHC9LS3