PDA

View Full Version : iPood question

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
I'd heard of the iPods freezing while snowboarding. Anyone have this problem? Planning on going this weekend and thought about using it, but if it's just going to stop on me, I'll just take my Sansa like I usually do.

BTW... it's a Classic 30gb video 5th Gen.

eg bter
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I keep mine in my inner jacket pocket...never had an issue with freezing.

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
I keep mine in my inner jacket pocket...never had an issue with freezing.
My inner jacket pocket is on my shell, so it's not very warm in there.

WidowmakerDutch
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
As long as you don't have it strapped to the outside of your gear it will be fine. I have had mine freeze up before when I've been boarding. I started leaving it on the inside of my jacket and no problems.

Sean
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Inside pocket, never had a problem. Now the hose for my camelback freezing is a whole different issue. :(

Reyven
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Same for me, inner pocket, no issues, even when its on the shell :)

Devaclis
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
You have 2 problems with iPOD/MP3 players and the cold:

1. Batteries do not work well, if at all, in freezing temperatures unless they are built specifically for those conditions. Batteries not made for extreme cold will stop functioning and your device will shut down.

2. LCD screens also do not function in the cold. The chemical reaction that makes them work slows and then stops as the crystals actually cannot change alignment. This causes the device to either lock up, shut down, or go into an error loop (built into the software) as it recognizes the malfunction.

To help reduce, but not solve these problems, I have found that putting a hand warmer pack in the same pocket as the iPOD/MP3 player works pretty well. Be aware that there is always a small bit of moisture involved with doing this. You may want to make sure your device is protected.

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
You may want to make sure your device is protected.

Always make sure your device is protected. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

And it's an HDD-based model and HDDs usually like temperatures above 40F.

Dirk

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Inside pocket, never had a problem. Now the hose for my camelback freezing is a whole different issue. :(
That's why you get the winter one w/ the hose insulator. :D

MetaLord 9
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah, Mine's crapped out on me once or twice. The only reason is that the battery doesn't function in the cold very well. For instance, I left the iPod in the car two nights ago when it go down to 20 degrees or so and, even tho it had a full battery, when I fired it up & tried to use it, it told me that I had no remaining power and died on me. All you've gotta do is warm it up a little. Just cup it in your hands & blow on it a little (insert littany of gay jokes here).

I've never really had it freeze while snowboarding b/c even tho it's in the outter pocket, it never really gets cold enough to effect the battery's functionality.

Zach929rr
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
I have left my Ipod in my car during the winter multiple times over the past few years. Worst that has happened will be a slow screen response (never a lock up per Dev), however my battery life hasn't been affected much... still get a quite a few hours out of a charge.

As far as locking up, that happens to me completely randomly about once every 3-4 months independent of weather conditions. Thankfully Ipods are easy to reset.

asp_125
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM

Even with the insulator, on very cold January type days you get freezing. Less so if you blow back after taking a swing, so that the hose nothing but air.

eg bter
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
I thought batteries liked the cold...they discharge slower. As long as your in sub zero temps...

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
I always had the same problem w/ my 30g 5th gen wick...so i ended up getting a 2g shuffle and didn't have a problem when I went boarding this year.

asp_125
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
The chemical reaction in a battery slows down in the cold, that's why it's harder to crank your bike/car in the cold. Asking it to provide the starting voltage/current makes it work harder. iPods are on a smaller scale but the same principle.

SaShWhO
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
remember that ol Eddie Murphy cut??

:music:........stick an iPod up your butt:music:.....

would make a good newer 2009 remix dontcha think.

Sean
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Even with the insulator, on very cold January type days you get freezing. Less so if you blow back after taking a swing, so that the hose nothing but air.What are you guys doing, this is total threadjacking and is completely uncalled for. If it wasn't Chadwick's thread I would reccomend an immediate banning of the both of you! :scream1:

(j/k Thanks for the advise. Yeah, I'll have to look into one of those insulator's. It would probably be nice to protect the line during summer as well.)

Resume with ipod batteries!

sky_blue
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:04 AM
I thought batteries liked the cold...they discharge slower. As long as your in sub zero temps...

I have batteries in field monitoring equipment in streams in Buena Vista. 2 D batteries run the same equipment for 12 weeks in the summer, 8 weeks in the winter.

Canuck
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
I always had the same problem w/ my 30g 5th gen wick...so i ended up getting a 2g shuffle and didn't have a problem when I went boarding this year.

That's because the 5th generation iPod uses a HDD. The shuffle uses a flash drive.
Same thing could happen during hot ambient temperatures. The HDD's like to skip or lock up more easily.
It's not really an issue about battery performance, unless you battery is worn out, then the cold temps will really put more stress on them.

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
This is off topic, but it's my thread, so... :p But is that the one you had the remote for? I was wondering if I could get something like that for mine.

asp_125
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
This is off topic, but it's my thread, so... :p But is that the one you had the remote for? I was wondering if I could get something like that for mine.

I use this: http://web.mac.com/jmwest/iWeb/Site%202/Photos%202_files/apple-ipod-remote.jpg for skiing and riding. My Nano stays in my jacket.

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
I use this: http://web.mac.com/jmwest/iWeb/Site%202/Photos%202_files/apple-ipod-remote.jpg for skiing and riding. My Nano stays in my jacket.
I was thinking wireless.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
yeah wick...it's called iJet...found it at Target a couple years back. I love that thing.

TFOGGuys
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 01:42 PM

You just need to fill it with "antifreeze" instead of water....I recommend tequila. :drink: