PDA

View Full Version : Bad alternator? What do you think?

Hoopty
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 09:17 AM
So I hadn't driven my 92 Ranger for a while (6+ months?), and when I went to start it, the battery was dead. Battery was like 7 years old, so it was ready to be replaced regardless. Anyway, I bought a new battery for it a week or two ago, and had noticed the last few days I drove it that the battery sounded like it was going out when I started it in the morning (sounded slow, like almost not enough juice to turn her over). Today when I went to start it, it was pretty much dead. The starter turned over a few times really slow, then just started clicking. Do you think the alternator just isn't charging the battery, and it eventually died? :dunno: Please give me your thoughts, I'm no mechanic... :oops: :lol:

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 09:20 AM
So I hadn't driven my 92 Ranger for a while (6+ months?), and when I went to start it, the battery was dead. Battery was like 7 years old, so it was ready to be replaced regardless. Anyway, I bought a new battery for it a week or two ago, and had noticed the last few days I drove it that the battery sounded like it was going out when I started it in the morning (sounded slow, like almost not enough juice to turn her over). Today when I went to start it, it was pretty much dead. The starter turned over a few times really slow, then just started clicking. Do you think the alternator just isn't charging the battery, and it eventually died? :dunno: Please give me your thoughts, I'm no mechanic... :oops: :lol:

Start it and put a volt-meter on the battery. If the alternator is putting out full current, the volt-meter will read about 14volts. Anything less and the alternator is not charging properly.

Hoopty
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 09:26 AM
I don't have a volt-meter. :| Maybe my room mate does? :dunno:

AshliRider44
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Pretty sure he said that he does babe.. if not then I have one at the parents' house ;)

Mel
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Hey hoop-I have a volt meter....you can run by my house one evening and we can check it.
Also, if you go to places like checker auto, they can run a charging system check for free.

Anonymous
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 09:29 AM
lick both fingers and touch battery terminals with the car off, do it again with car running. If you get a bigger shock, the alternator's working. :lol:

Hoopty
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Cool, thanks guys (except Ralph :P ).

Neb954
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 09:46 AM
If you believe its the alternator you can also take it off and have it bench tested at an auto parts store (free). They can generally tell you the 'output of it'. You may also want to take it to a couple of them if they don't seem 'honest'.

Removing the alternator on a ford I don't believe is to hard for you just have the belt tensioner pulley to remove the belt and a couple bolts for the alternator.

Good luck..

oops purple gixxer beat me to it.. darn dial up..

King Nothing
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 12:23 PM
hoopty i have a meter, if you need it I'm near hampden and university...

King Nothing
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Actually, the meter is in my truck, so it really doesm't matter where i live.....

Hoopty
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 01:58 PM
My room mate has one, thanks though. :cheers:

Devaclis
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Hoopty, not sure if your room mate has one or not, but I have a meter you can use. You should check it with a volt meter. And I have one, for you to use, if your room mate does not have one.

King Nothing
Wed Jan 26th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Hoopty, not sure if your room mate has one or not, but I have a meter you can use. You should check it with a volt meter. And I have one, for you to use, if your room mate does not have one.:lol: dumbass :lol:

Hoopty
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 08:44 AM
:imwithstupid: :lol: