PDA

View Full Version : Bike Camping

Sean
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
So I was thinking about buying some saddle bags and doing some camping around the state this summer. This is such a great state and I'd love to see more of it. Can you help me figure the necessities?

- Tent: 1/2 person
- sleeping bag
- matress pad
- maybe some sort of roadside kit (tire plug and O2 cart, tools)
- fishing pole (more important than socks)
- clothes
- camping dishes for food
- food
- ????

I know a couple of people have a huge list, but I'm just thinking weekends. Any tips?

Anybody know some good camping spots? (that's a loaded Q)

Devaclis
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
http://camping-rider.com/motorcycle-camping.html

http://wetleather.com/reference/camping.html

Devaclis
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
The wife and I are going to be doing a lot of this over then next year. We are currently getting our gear and prepping the bike (hers is on the way) for off road riding and caring all of the gear. If you want to get together for a brew and toss around idears, let me know :)

salsashark
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 03:59 PM
You might want to get a tent that will fit at least one whole person... those 1/2 person tents are not comfortable at all...

Vehicle 1
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
So I was thinking about buying some saddle bags and doing some camping around the state this summer.

That is really cool you doing that.
I was thinking about loading the 848 (I got the system down where I can carry a good amount of stuff) and doing some weekend camping trips this summer too.

I would need to find spots with easy dirt road access, can't really tackle much (safely and consistently... lol) on a sportbike.

Post up easy access camping spots when you find them please:)

What bike are you using for this?

D.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I second the motion on sites accessible by sportbike!

Sortarican
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I'm going to host at least one cabin/camp/ride this summer.
There's nice camping spots right behind the cabin in Fairplay and we can use the cabin for meals. showers, etc.
Some nice riding close by, both paved and dirt.
The camping sites are only a run on decent dirt roads from 285.

I'll be sure to let you know when it goes down.

Sean
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:22 PM
If you want to get together for a brew and toss around idears, let me know :)You had me at beer....

You might want to get a tent that will fit at least one whole person... those 1/2 person tents are not comfortable at all...I plan on losing a lot of weight. This is a good motivator :up:

That is really cool you doing that.
I was thinking about loading the 848 (I got the system down where I can carry a good amount of stuff) and doing some weekend camping trips this summer too.

I would need to find spots with easy dirt road access, can't really tackle much (safely and consistently... lol) on a sportbike.

Post up easy access camping spots when you find them please:)

What bike are you using for this?

D.yeah, we're on the same page. I'm on an 01 R6. I've met up with friends car camping in Buena Vista and up Poudre Canyon before and really liked it. It's usually 5-10 miles of dirt rd off of a main one. I'd love to find some more.

I was just thinking that we might be able to get a small group of bikes to do a once a month circle. Maybe more, but that's a start. Friday afternoon/eve head one direction, camp, maybe another site the next night, and head back sunday. I would just love to see some more of CO.

64BonnieLass
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM
A couple things I thought might be helpful added to the bottom:

- sleeping bag
- matress pad
- fishing pole (more important than socks) (yes warm socks)
- clothes
- food
knife
flashlight
matches
advil
wet wipes in ziplock baggy for face and hands
paper towels in ziplock baggy
sunscreen
small military can opener if needed (P-38 )
- ????

Tipys
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Flare gun

Nick_Ninja
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Flare gun

One billion dollars of liability insurance for when you burn down the forest.

asp_125
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
A couple things I thought might be helpful added to the bottom:

- sleeping bag
- matress pad
- fishing pole (more important than socks)
- clothes
- food
knife
flashlight
matches
advil
wet wipes in ziplock baggy for face and hands
sunscreen
small military can opener if needed
- ????

- MSR whisperlite stove
- bug spray
- small folding shovel
- marshmallows (for smores!)

In general look at the stuff that mountaineering campers use, small and light.

asp_125
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Here's a good checklist:
http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

Sean
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM
- marshmallows (for smores!)
:up: I like the way you think.

Tipys
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM

As long as he doesnt use it to burn a letter he should be good.

Sean
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM

As long as he doesnt use it to burn a letter he should be good.I'm insistent for a non-whoring thread. Thank you.

asp_125
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Not really in Colorado but easy access off the highway. There are a couple of campgrounds next to the Green River, east of Moab along Hwy 128. http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=chrome&q=moab&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=38.695157,-109.37233&spn=0.254559,0.501251&z=11

Tipys
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I'm insistent for a non-whoring thread. Thank you.

I really wast trying to whore it up it just happened. Maybe not a flame gun because of statements made in past posts. But I would suggest some sort of signaling device.

Bueller
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Most RV campgrounds have tent sites, shower and laundry in some.

Sortarican
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Most RV campgrounds have tent sites, shower and laundry in some.

..and are usually paved or justg a short run off pavement so easily accessible by sportbike.

The Grand Lake and Blue Mesa areas have several campgrounds as well as Golden Gate Park for very close to town camping.

Sean
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Most RV campgrounds have tent sites, shower and laundry in some.Good Point. At least for me, I think I would rather get away from a formal site a little. Then I have less of a chance getting arrested for getting drunk and running around naked :)

Bueller
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Good Point. At least for me, I think I would rather get away from a formal site a little. Then I have less of a chance getting arrested for getting drunk and running around naked :)
Many of the remote ones are pretty primative, or try Natnl forrest campgrounds

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Good Point. At least for me, I think I would rather get away from a formal site a little. Then I have less of a chance getting arrested for getting drunk and running around naked :)
Starting to think that a group ride/camp trip would be a baaad idea in that case! lol

Anyway, for group trips isn't it easier to pack a bit more if each person brings specific items each? Such as I bring the tent, you bring utensils, they bring lantern/stove, and so on...?

Sortarican
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Anyway, for group trips isn't it easier to pack a bit more if each person brings specific items each?

For groups it's really nice to have someone in a chase vehicle that can carry bulky gear and haul bake broken bikes (God forbid).

For one or two people spliting gear is a great idea.

And backpacker sites have great ideas on low bulk/weight camping gear.

Sean
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
try Natnl forrest campgrounds:up:

For one or two people spliting gear is a great idea.
That's why I've got a girl with a nice set of saddle bags (if ya know what I mean :eyebrows:)

I was thinking something easy for the middle/end of May. Leave friday night, hit Grand lake/granby for a camping spot. The next day do some riding and stop in steamboat for lunch while making our way up to Routt natl park. Back down via Poudre on Sunday. Nothing huge, nothing stressful, and just under 500 miles. This way I can enjoy some down time of just hanging out too. But it would be a good way to get my feet wet with this idea. Just an idea. Then in June get a loop towards Durango that's a little longer?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=2010+Athens+St,+Boulder,+CO+80302&daddr=County+Rd-103+to:US-34+to:CO-131%2FLincoln+St+to:40.465756,-106.45752+to:CO-127+to:CO-14+to:Buckhorn+Rd%2FN+County+Rd-27%2FN+CR27+to:Big+Thompson+Canyon+Rd%2FUS-34+to:CO-66%2FN+St+Vrain+Dr%2FUS-36+to:2010+Athens+St,+Boulder,+CO+80302&geocode=%3BFZZGYgIdRCq2-Q%3BFXIiZAIdnPav-Q%3BFcwhZQIdAJ2g-Q%3B%3BFVrncAIdziir-Q%3BFZYJbQIdINiz-Q%3BFQyMagIdZKe5-Q%3BFcqYaAIdUtm3-Q%3BFTj8ZQIdPW-5-Q%3B&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=1&mrsp=4&sz=9&via=1,3,4,6,7,8,9&sll=40.632714,-106.493225&sspn=0.99423,2.416992&ie=UTF8&ll=40.701464,-105.820312&spn=0.993206,2.416992&z=9

Thanks again for all of the tips :up:

Sean
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Here's an idea for June mid/end. Camping around points B and C.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=2010+Athens+St,+Boulder,+CO+80302&daddr=US-24%2FUS-285+to:S+CO-149+to:US-160+to:S+Townsend+Ave%2FUS-550+to:CO-133+to:carbondale+co+to:Leadville,+CO+to:2010+Athe ns+St,+Boulder,+CO+80302&geocode=%3BFYBLUAIdblmt-Q%3BFawxSAIdmO-c-Q%3BFRCqOQId9A2g-Q%3BFXh3SgIdWBeS-Q%3BFQL_UQIdaBWY-Q%3B%3B%3B&hl=en&mra=ls&via=2,3,5&sll=38.609375,-106.561775&sspn=4.094507,9.667969&ie=UTF8&ll=38.608286,-106.54541&spn=4.094507,9.667969&z=7

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I just picked up a set of saddlebags from craigslist and was planning on the same route with a couple of others too. Let us know when you are going.

GixxerCarrie
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Yupper...cause I got my saddlebags last week! he.he!

honey
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM
http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html
Great link.

Couple of other things to consider:
Benadryl or Zyrtec
Benadryl (itch soothing gel) for: insect bites, minor burns, sunburns, minor cuts/scrapes, rashes to poison ivy, poison oak
jumper cables
plastic forks/spoons
small mirror (if lighter is out/matches get wet)
medical id cards

A car (the transporter) is a not a bad idea, you will definitely want ice cold beverages. Sounds like fun.

sugarrey
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
This sounds like fun....I would love to see the state of Colorado....But being from Chicago I am afraid I will be eaten by some of the large game I have seen traveling this great state.

R6biker122
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Dont forget a handgun! Who knows animals and some people out there...

asp_125
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I just picked up a set of saddlebags from craigslist and was planning on the same route with a couple of others too. Let us know when you are going.

I'm doing a version of that (more direct out/back to Durango) in early June, but might want a second trip to do the Gunnison and grand mesa.

Think
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Dont forget a handgun! Who knows animals and some people out there...
Not sure if that's a joke or not, but I would definitely add that to the list.

Sean
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Yupper...cause I got my saddlebags last week! he.he!:up: Nice. Yeah, those are going to be the ones I pick up as well. I have the blue tail bag and love it.

Not sure if that's a joke or not, but I would definitely add that to the list. No thanks. Not on my list of necessities.

GixxerCarrie
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
:up: Nice. Yeah, those are going to be the ones I pick up as well. I have the blue tail bag and love it.
No thanks. Not on my list of necessities.

Yeah.....Motorcycle Superstore had them for $116. Free Shipping.

SaShWhO
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM
the saddle bag virus is spreading I see.
thanks Aracheon!

denver_whitest185
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM
im going to be doing a week long trip down to southern utah in mid-may (19th through 25th) if anyone is interested :)

bodhizafa
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Cool thread, thinking the same thing (bike camping). If you need any camping gear let me know, got lots, mostly light stuff.

Sean
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
the saddle bag virus is spreading I see.
thanks Aracheon!:321: These bags will only be used for camping, not trying to look cool in front of my WOW friends. :lol:

If you need any cross-dressing gear let me know, got lots, mostly light stuff.What does this have to do with anything? What you do on the weekends is your own business, Jay. :lol: Yeah, let's work out something.

mtnairlover
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I was thinking something easy for the middle/end of May. Leave friday night, hit Grand lake/granby for a camping spot. The next day do some riding and stop in steamboat for lunch while making our way up to Routt natl park. Back down via Poudre on Sunday. Nothing huge, nothing stressful, and just under 500 miles. This way I can enjoy some down time of just hanging out too. But it would be a good way to get my feet wet with this idea. Just an idea. Then in June get a loop towards Durango that's a little longer?

Nice idea. I think you will still come across some cooler type weather at the end of May. I mean, Trail Ridge isn't open until Memorial Day, so ya gotta think that there's still gonna be snow up in the higher elevations. If you stay in the lower elevations, like around Steamboat, you might still have some ok temps at night.

I'm kinda old, so sleeping in a tent is kinda scary for me, cuz the ground is not my fave place to snuggle up to. These days, if I spend time out and about seeing the sites and mountains, I try to find places like Bueller was talking about. Not only cuz I don't like the hard ground anymore, but because I don't like that not-so-fresh feeling if I don't get a shower. Used to be...many eons ago...I'd clean up at the water pump in a camp ground (whatever I could clean without taking my clothes off)...I'd even stick my head under the pump and wash my hair in the freezing water. I dunno if anyone has ever done that, but scalp freeze is so different from brain freeze.:lol:

Anyhoo, I'd suggest checking out Colorado campsite websites, national park websites and state park websites and also check out websites that'll show you the average temps for the time of year you want to do your camping.

Just an idea.

http://www.idcide.com/weather/co/grand-lake.htm

http://www.mpei.com/new-averagegranbytemp.htm

http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/co-granby-campgrounds.htm

Scer
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Ok, so this is something I might sound stupid, well stupider, for bringing up. But wouldn't the bikes kind of need some sort of spark arrest installed?
NN did have a point by saying you might need insurance for burning the hills down...

spark on sparkas

Airreed
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
This is the CSC...everyone brings guns camping!!!!

Sean
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM
. I mean, Trail Ridge isn't open until Memorial Day, so ya gotta think that there's still gonna be snow up in the higher elevations. If you stay in the lower elevations, like around Steamboat, you might still have some ok temps at night.
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted up. And that's IF it does open. I'll def plan a different route, but I'll keep that one open for July :up: Thanks for the tips Cathy!

But wouldn't the bikes kind of need some sort of spark arrest installed? what is that? :dunno: If N-N has it, I dn't want it :lol:

Bueller
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
stock can(s) would be ok but a Ranger might have an issue with a straight thru, if provoked.

Sean
Mon Apr 13th, 2009, 09:17 AM
$65 on fleabay and I'm ready to go. I'm gonna look like a big freakin blueberry. :up: Sweeeeeeet. :rock: I'm planning a May trip, let me know if anybody is interested. Gonna try and keep it 5-6 bikes only. No need for a shit show. I'm also looking for a good spot to camp in Paonia.

GixxerCarrie
Mon Apr 13th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Hell ya...looks great!

asp_125
Mon Apr 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I've got a set of Fieldsheer Rio saddle bags, and a Cortech tail bag. Unfortunately they were purchased at different times, so they don't snap together. Looking to trade one or the other with someone who's go matching brands.

Sean
Mon Apr 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah, that's why I stayed with Cortech. I also have their tailbag. I could have gotten some others cheaper, but this way it's all one set and as you said, it snaps together. Keep an eye on ebay, like I said, mine was on $65, I'm sure you could sell your other bags pretty easy :dunno:

riverock
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
here's my rig
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/xbbx/IMG_1512.jpg

you can pick up a nice telescoping ultralight spinning rig at Walmart for about $24

I usually camp near Ouray and Lake City

sank
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
I have the Cortech tail bag too. I bet if you were tricky, you could just head to REI and grab some new buckles to put on your tailbag straps. Bring a saddle bag along so you can find ones that fit. They're only a couple of bucks each, and you'll need 4, I suppose. Or, you could order some Fieldsheer buckles from Fieldsheer and do the same thing (actually, this is probably the first choice). No need to get an entire new tail bag just because the buckles don't match!

See? buckles can just be swapped:
http://www.bbburma.net/HowTo/TourMaster_CortechBags/100_2140_TailBag_2.jpg

I like camping. I'm planning a trip out to Mt Rushmore this summer. Bummer about Nebraska though. At least I'll stop in CarHenge and try to find something interesting in that state... ;- )

I've got a set of Fieldsheer Rio saddle bags, and a Cortech tail bag. Unfortunately they were purchased at different times, so they don't snap together. Looking to trade one or the other with someone who's go matching brands.

wankel7
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
- matress pad

Thermarest for the win:)

Sean
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Hell yeah! Those even make camping at Pueblo comfy!

Devaclis
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/

Made in Longmont Colorado.

They do well in the snow too

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/IMG_4247.jpg

VIVID1
Fri May 15th, 2009, 10:48 PM
The one thing I always bring on an overnight bike trip is a spare key for my motorcycle.

Can’t even tell you how many trips I’ve been on where someone lost or misplaced the only key for their bike :banghead:

sloridr
Sat May 16th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Just rode up from Pheonix and my saddle bags rubbed on my tail and wore through the paint in a couple of spots. Just a heads up. And you can google colorado pass conditions. It will tell you up to the minute conditions.

Tipys
Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hey Sean I rode 9miles of dirt yesturday if I can ride that far on dirt you can too. So every where there is camping you should be able to ride to no problem

Sean
Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Just a heads up. And you can google colorado pass conditions. It will tell you up to the minute conditions.Yup, found that one out the hard way heading down to Santa Fe 2 weeks ago. It seems not all places are sunny and clear, especially at 10,000 feet. :shocked:

Hey Sean I rode 9miles of dirt yesturday if I can ride that far on dirt you can too. So every where there is camping you should be able to ride to no problemI have no issues getting dirty. Most of the best camping is 5-10 miles on a dirt road off of the main street. Don't doubt the dual sportness of the R6. :hump:

Tipys
Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM
^^^I dont there was a Harley that followed us on the dirt rode yesturday.

sky_blue
Sun Jun 14th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Another good site for Colorado Motorcycle campine
http://www.motorcyclecolorado.com/index.html

sky_blue
Sun Jun 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Some clear packing tape on your tail will help keep the you saddle bags from rubbing it raw.

dm_gsxr
Sun Jun 14th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Some clear packing tape on your tail will help keep the you saddle bags from rubbing it raw.

I use contact acetate (clear shelf paper). Less of a chance of removing stickers or paint :)

Carl

asp_125
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I use contact acetate (clear shelf paper). Less of a chance of removing stickers or paint :)

Carl

Also a piece of those foamy kitchen drawer liners big enough to throw over the tail will work too; plus they are kind of grippy so bags don't shift.
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/105367_front200.jpg