PDA

View Full Version : Getting DVD's to play on your DVD player

fullgrownbear
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I have some .avi files I have successfully burnt to DVD.

They will not play on my DVD player, though. Do I need to convert these .avi files to a different format before burning them to DVD?

Basically, I want to be able to burn .avi files and other files to DVD and be able to pop them directly into my dvd player, and have them play.

Could someone please explain this process in lamens terms..

Thanks

fullgrownbear
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I should Add I'm trying to burn with Nero.

The AVI files show up in windows media burner, but when attempting to create a DVD video in Nero, it doesnt' support the AVI file format.

It only supports BUP, VOB, and IFO

Zach929rr
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 10:52 PM

Exactly. Avi's need to be converted to VOB format (think of it as DVD player format) and then burned to DVD. Unless your DVD player specifically plays avi's, get something like CovertXtoDvD and be done wit it. IIR, Nero won't convert them to VOB format prior (don't quote me here... haven't used Nero cuz I hate it). The conversion goes frame by frame through the avi and converts both audio and video into serperate folders to be burned onto the DVD.

fullgrownbear
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 11:08 PM
You've got a PM

brennahm
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I never used it for DVD's to be played in that way, but freeware called DeepBurner is my favorite...

~Barn~
Mon Apr 6th, 2009, 11:28 PM
ConvertXtoDVD is what I use, and I love it. It takes some time to rerender the whole .avi, but when it's done, it works like a champ in our DVD players.

bulldog
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM
On Nero you need to use the "recode to DVD" option".

I should Add I'm trying to burn with Nero.

The AVI files show up in windows media burner, but when attempting to create a DVD video in Nero, it doesnt' support the AVI file format.

You may need to get a newer version then, because mine does support .avi files.

d3spair
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM
You need a DVD player that supports DIVX to play the .avi files. Most Pioneer DVD players (you can buy at Walmart) support it. Get one with a USB connection on the front and you can take your pirated movies (in .avi formats), throw them on a USB drive and play them on your DVD player without ever burning anything.

~Barn~
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I don't think he's trying to play .avi files though, I believe he's trying to convert them for play, on any DVD player.

That is assuming of course, that said DVD player will read "recorded" DVDs.

I do like your idea though, so you can skip the conversion process all together. :up:

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I got him hooked up w/ ConvertX... so he should be good to go.

fullgrownbear
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I got him hooked up w/ ConvertX... so he should be good to go.

+1

Thanks mang.