PDA

View Full Version : riding this afternoon 4/7

sag
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
greg (think) and i will be roaming around this afternoon at like 3 30 if anyone else wants to tag along.

ekim12144
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
text me 508-277-7890

sag
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 02:52 PM
^gotcha

bc_500r
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
saw this a little late, tomorrow is supposed to be nice as well, ill be cruising around foco if anyone wants to tomorrow too

OUTLAWD
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah...I saw this a tad late...if I get my bike back together I'll be up for a quick cruise...

sag
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
yeah, sadly we had some excitement on our little run...

brennahm
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Performance awards or custom bodywork?

sag
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM
ill let ekim tell the story but here is the corner, you have to go up the road and look at it to get a better idea.

click (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=10576+W+County+Rd-18+E,+Loveland,+CO,+&sll=40.364793,-105.250525&sspn=0.021058,0.04549&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=40.364199,-105.244757&panoid=PNX8AmTvWZXNSDb5hUdfRQ&cbp=12,197.12524754549,,0,22.150943396226417&ll=40.377436,-105.154345&spn=0.001361,0.002843&z=19&iwloc=cent)

ekim12144
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I love getting introduced to the forum as the guy who goes down on the first ride he takes with anyone from the forum. Anyways I am pretty new to riding and was keeping up just fine on the way up the road but on the way back down on the corner that sag linked I tested the tires on the dirty on the side of the road. Obviously the dirty won and my bike and I got a chance to find out how strong the barbed wire fence was. You can make out the fence if you look hard enough. certainly kept me and my bike from going much further down the hill. It was strong enough to hold a few hundred pounds. Anyways if anyone knows of some 07 GSXR 600 fairings right side, top front of gas can and front are available let me know. Other than that the bike seems to have the rear brake locked up some/dragging. If anyone can help with that it would be awesome. Looking to get it back on the road asap so I can start making better turns. Photos to follow if I can get my camera to upload them...oh I also need a new lever for the clutch see photo.

brennahm
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Oh man. Well I'm new too and haven't ridden with them yet. Maybe I'll take your title. That really sucks and that looks like a pretty fast sweeper too. Thank god you're okay.

ekim12144
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
How do I put up photos as attachments?

OUTLAWD
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
damn dude that sucks...where are ya located? I could swing by at some point and take a gander at your situation...

I just buttoned mine up from installing some sliders...lets hope I don't have to put them to the test.

mtnairlover
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:46 PM
How do I put up photos as attachments?

You'll want to click on the "quote" button. Then scroll down to below the typing area. You will see another button called "Manage Attachments". Then the dialog box that comes up has you searching your computer for your photos. You'll have to upload one at a time, but that's how it's done.

Hope that helps a lil.

I'm glad you're ok enough to type here.

One word from an old fart who was new to riding 3 years ago...DO NOT try to keep up again. Ride at your own pace and get used to technique first. The speed will come in time...trust me.

ekim12144
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Lets try the photos again, I tried the manage attachments before. Yeah Sag and Think both told me that to start and I was. I was dropping back on corners. Definitely just need to ride more the corner should have been fine but it's like golf if you think you are going to hit it into the lake you probably will...just didn't have the right mind set for the corner...I'm getting the feeling that the mental side of riding is going to take the longest.

mtnairlover
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Lets try the photos again, I tried the manage attachments before. Yeah Sag and Think both told me that to start and I was. I was dropping back on corners. Definitely just need to ride more the corner should have been fine but it's like golf if you think you are going to hit it into the lake you probably will...just didn't have the right mind set for the corner...I'm getting the feeling that the mental side of riding is going to take the longest.

At least it looks like the bike is ridable. My first crash, the case cover was cracked a lil and the tank had a huge dent in it from the handle bar hitting it. I rode it home that day, even with the leaking oil...but it wasn't that bad.

Anyhoo, don't push your brain to catch up...you need to train your brain and that always takes time. Did you know it takes about like 6 weeks of doing the same thing over again to make it a habit? Start with training your brain to make your eyes look further down the road. If you're in a corner, then look at the furthest most point all the time you are in that corner as it changes.

Since you were with Greg, then you know about him riding out at IMI. He's improved, or so I've heard, quite a bit. I'd suggest that you also ride a little at the track. Again...with the idea of practicing, not trying to catch the next guy in the next turn.

One thing a friend of mine who races told me when he saw me at the track several years ago was to look further. That one tip improved my canyon riding tremendously.

chad23
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 10:27 PM
sorry to here about the wreck. and Cathy is right about Gregs riding he has gotten a lot better the last time I was with him at IMI. Its a cheap and great place to practice and learn. Most people there are happy to help you if you ask for the advice

Like we talked about bring your bike by this weekend and we'll go over it and see what is up

Think
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Regardless of the crash, today was still pretty damn fun and I'm sorry about what happened to your bike. You were hanging with us pretty well most of the time and I was completely shocked how little miles you had put on the bike. Like I said before, anything that I might be able to help with let me know and definitely hit us up once you want to go riding again.

ekim12144
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
yeah definitely. They stressed it in the riding course I took too but it's like you said. Takes awhile to train yourself. I will be going to IMI as soon as I get my bike back up. Sounds like I can improve a lot faster there than anywhere else.

asp_125
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Aw man that sucks, but glad you are ok. First bike too. You're right, a training course just gives you the basics. Some things about riding are counter intuitive, and you have to work it a step at a time. Don't be trying to keep up, as you learned today. Hope you get her back together soon.

If you are not set on factory plastics, look on the web for sets from Hong Kong. A friend of mine reskinned his YZF-R600 completely for under $400.

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Consider it a cheap lesson.

Like every other person here, I'm glad to hear you're ok.

Edit: That looks like a fun road.

brennahm
Tue Apr 7th, 2009, 11:18 PM
+12 or however many have already posted.

Just make sure you DO ride again, and if you ever want to do a slower ride then say so. I know I'd be down for just riding along because I definitely remember when I was a new rider. Good luck and that's awesome there's no crazy bad damage either.

ekim12144
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Yeah we will see how bad the damage is...from the looks of it does not look too bad but could be stuff I don't see. The rear brake might need some work. Do you know what site they used for the set from Hong Kong I have found a few sets there for like 300 plus 225 shipping.

honey
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Glad to hear you are ok. Take a look on craigs list (motorcycles) for any parts you might need or steele's (motorcycle salvage) in Littleton. They also sell new/used bikes.

Think
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Here's a gixxer specific forum that you'd probably have some luck in finding some plastics. http://www.gixxer.com/forums/