PDA

View Full Version : utah camping trip - national park tour - mid-may

denver_whitest185
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 09:07 AM
so, im going to doing a 6-7day trip down to southern utah starting may 19th. its going to be a national park tour since i'll be touring arches, canyonlands, black canyon of the gunnison, rocky mountain, capitol reef, zion, bryce canyon, and i would also like to spend a few hours on the north rim of the grand canyon since i only saw the south side.

anyways, i already have my route picked out, and im working it out so that there's around 6 hours of riding each day except the first and last day, and the whole trip will be around 2000 miles :crazy:

i'll be camping out unless the weather turns bad. so, if anyone wants to join for a week of sight seeing and riding on some beautiful roads, it'll be fun.

Sean
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Sounds fun! Wish I could, but I can't get away for that long. Good Luck! :up:

denver_whitest185
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
well, if you want to, just come riding on the 19th down to the black canyon of the gunnison, and you can pick a route back home for the 20th.

asp_125
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Sound like an epic ride. Always wanted to ride the Devil's Backbone (UT 12). Can't get away for that long though.

denver_whitest185
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM
fyi, the reason why its a 6 or 7 day trip is dependent on how day 5 goes. it starts out on the north rim of the grand canyon, goes north through zion, then through cedar breaks NM, then back to UT 12 to bryce canyon, and then to boulder, ut to spend the night at a spot i know. if i split it into two days, i'll be camping near cedar breaks the first night so that i get a whole day to see cedar breaks and bryce canyon.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I would LOVE to do that trip!....but the ability to do such is dependent upon a whole lotta factors right now....

OUTLAWD
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Man...i'm gonna be at a conference in DC and not getting back til the 19th... :banghead:

maybe I'll be able to get together with ya on another iron butt tour

denver_whitest185
Wed Apr 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
hey, i just have to be back by the afternoon of the 26th, so if you want to leave on the 20th or late on the 19th, im down...

oh, after some better trip route calculations (including driving within parks, some side excursions that look worthwhile, etc.) this trip is looking closer to 2300 miles, so i think i'll be stretching this to a 7 day for sure. there will also be a 60 mile strech of a well groomed dirt road.

OUTLAWD
Thu Apr 9th, 2009, 09:00 AM
"calculations" eh...?

you must be an engineer or something...

so whats this trip 2300 +/- 300 miles and 7 +/- 1 day, with 60 +/- 60 miles groomed (unknown % uncertainty of grooming) dirt road...

If I had some more stout touring tires, I'd be game, but the PP's would prob be shot halfway through, then that might set us back 1 +/- 2 hours...

Ricky
Thu Apr 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Sounds like an awesome trip. I plan on heading out to Moab on the 16th, then one or two other places, but I have no solid plans yet. I have to be back at work on the 21st though...

denver_whitest185
Fri Apr 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
"calculations" eh...?

you must be an engineer or something...

so whats this trip 2300 +/- 300 miles and 7 +/- 1 day, with 60 +/- 60 miles groomed (unknown % uncertainty of grooming) dirt road...

If I had some more stout touring tires, I'd be game, but the PP's would prob be shot halfway through, then that might set us back 1 +/- 2 hours...

lol

actually, its 40 miles of dirt, the rest is paved
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Road_400

we could split up that day and meet up at lunch time. you could take the paved way around it, and i'll take the dirt road as long as the conditions are good :)

dirt route
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/tedehrlich80227/day4dirt.jpg
paved route
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/tedehrlich80227/day4paved.jpg

lightspeed
Fri Apr 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Will this be a on road trip? I may be interested... What route, etc are you taking?

R6biker122
Fri Apr 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
sounds fun. i may be down.

denver_whitest185
Fri Apr 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Will this be a on road trip? I may be interested... What route, etc are you taking?

edited, see below

denver_whitest185
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 02:38 AM
So, I’ve been thinking about this trip a lot. I think what needs to happen to make this better is that instead of working our way out to western Utah and then driving back, that instead we should drive out to western Utah the first day and then work our way back. that way the longest part of the trip is done first, and more time is spend out in the area furthest from Colorado, since the point of the trip is to see that area. the area's closer to Colorado can be a weekend trip sometime else.

Just let me know who wants to go and can get the 19th through the 26th available. thanks.

also, to make the trip safer, I bought a mushroom-style tire plug kit and a pump encase anyone gets a flat.

denver_whitest185
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 04:02 AM
so, here's my new idea. i like it a lot more and it makes it possible to see Great Basin NP. There's no dirt roads either.

19th - meet up at i-70 and c-470 that morning and drive to Great Basin NP (~10 hours, mostly highway) - buy NP park passes at Great Basin since they include cave tour here
20th - cave tour at great basin NP that morning, tour though Brian's head, cedar breaks NM, and zion np. stay the night at coral pink sand dunes S.P.
21st - head down to north rim of the grand canyon, then back up 89 to hw-12 (red canyon area) and tour bryce canyon NP, spending the night at kodachrome basin S.P.
22nd - head east on hw-12, tour capitol reef NP, south to natural bridges NM, tour and spend the night at the needles section of canyonlands.
23rd - tour the rest of canyonlands and dead horse point S.P., tour arches NP, fisher towers, and spend the night at colorado NM near grand junction
24th - head south to black canyon of the gunnison, then back north to glenwood springs, then head back to denver.

Damn insomnia...

Jason ON
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Do you have camping places already picked out? I may be interested ...

denver_whitest185
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM
yes. we'll be staying at either state or national parks, unless we find a spot off the road to camp for free thats better. The first night will be great basin NP, the second will be coral pink sand dunes SP, the next will be Kodachrome basin SP, then in the needles section of canyonlands, and the last will be in colorado NM. All those places are first come, first served, so there really isn't any way to reserve spots, but the main tourist season isn't till later, so i think we'll be good. US Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management area's are free to camp on, so there will be plenty of available area's down there if needed.

denver_whitest185
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM
bump, three weeks left till this trip! :crazy:

the trip described in post #16 is the route i'll be taking still.

Here is the mapquest map of the trip. Points b,c,e,g,h are camp spots. alternate routes are fine if you don't want to drive on dirt or if theres certain areas you want to tour :)
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-3yu2KEAqEHTGdNupoHnU

Nick_Ninja
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM
U riding the 06 Ninja 250 on this trip?

denver_whitest185
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM
yep :)

http://www.ninja250.org/profiles/images/denver_whitest185_3.jpg
(from last year)

asp_125
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Wow... epic!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
WoW --- loaded :twisted:

denver_whitest185
Mon May 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
well, now i can spread out the load a bit better

i made this last week. i think it'll work great, although everyone on the ninja250 board thinks it'll get stress cracks from going over bumps with any sort of load. i carried 20 lbs on it yesterday back from denver, and it held up fine. the bracket is machined from a solid block of aluminum, and has intertube rubber glued to the inside to give it a better contact area/dampen frame vibrations...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/tedehrlich80227/DSC00033.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/tedehrlich80227/1241402046.jpg

denver_whitest185
Tue May 5th, 2009, 11:57 PM
FYI, the main planned stops/points of interests are:

Great Basin NP and the Lehman caves
Brian Head and Cedar Breaks NM
Kolob canyons, Kolob terrace/resivor, and Zion NP
Smithsonian Butte Scenic Backway
Coral pink sand dunes state park
North rim of the grand canyon
The wave (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/TheWave_GB.jpg) - off house rock valley road
Grosvenor Arch - off Cottonwood canyon road
Vermillion Cliffs and Grandstaircase Escalante NM
Kodachrome Basin
Bryce Canyon NP
Devils garden and Zebra slot (http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/8844141.jpg) - off hole-in-the-rock road
Burr trail road and Notom Road Scenic Backway
Capitol Reef NP - Waterpocket fold (ttp://parkerlab.bio.uci.edu/pictures/photography%20pictures/bigthumbs/screenWater%20Pocket%20Fold%20_%20The%20S%20bend.j pg)
Lake Powell - Bullfrog ferry
Natural Bridges NM
Elk Ridge Road Scenic Backway
Canyonlands NP (needles and island in the sky districts)
Dead horse point state park
Arches NP
Colorado NM
Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP (north and south rims)

denver_whitest185
Tue May 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM
one week to go. im so excited, my saddle bags are already half packed :)