PDA

View Full Version : Why do some cops not pull you over?

R6biker122
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
So i have had numerous encounters where i was speeding down a country back road and or highway and the cops will just flip their lights on and not pull me over. I have seen it with friends and have had experience with it. And then again i have heard about friends that were pulled over for speeding. So tell me your thoughts on the matter.

BigE
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
The ones that DON'T pull you over are being VERY nice! And are just saying "slow it down dummy!"

Fugayzin
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I've had this happen to me but I was in my car speeding when I shouldn't have been. Usually, like 'BigE' put it, they're being extremely nice and just giving you a visual warning.

RajunCajun
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM
^^^I agree. Their job is to keep roads safe and if they can simply remind you to slow down without the danger of pulling over on a busy highway, that's an easy way to do it....

Fugayzin
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM
^^^I agree. Their job is to keep roads safe and if they can simply remind you to slow down without the danger of pulling over on a busy highway, that's an easy way to do it....

Exactly. I actually wish more police officers did this, granted there are certain situations in which it would be more logical to pull someone over, i.e. 100+mph, but if it's for something such as 5-10mph over it would definately help with traffic and people 'rubber-necking' just to check it out which is a big contributer to traffic and accidents.

Just my .02 cents

R6biker122
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Well when i say speeding it was definitely speeding over the speed limit. i was passing a car so i rolled on the throttle. Don't even know how fast i was going at that point. then i had to slam my brakes on. So i don't think we're talking a little over the speed limit.

Fugayzin
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Well when i say speeding it was definitely speeding over the speed limit. i was passing a car so i rolled on the throttle. Don't even know how fast i was going at that point. then i had to slam my brakes on. So i don't think we're talking a little over the speed limit.

Haha, well regardless, I think more police officers should do this. You are one lucky S.O.B.!

The Black Knight
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
The ones that DON'T pull you over are being VERY nice! And are just saying "slow it down dummy!"
My thoughts exactly, if they just light em up and don't pull out to chase. They are saying in so many words, "hey I'm being cool and letting you know to just slow it down".

Bat
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Ah geez, if only...

Bat (recipient of yet another speeding ticket last Saturday)
I have a problem...only two points left to last me until November. I don't know how the hell I'm gonna make it. :(

Some people do drugs, some people drink, I have a speeding problem.
Damn this lead foot and lead hand. :banghead:

asp_125
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 10:21 PM
On most of the mountain roads they flip the lights because:

- You are away from heavy traffic and residential areas, if you crash it's only you they have to scrape off the side of some mountain. They are cutting you a break.
- There's no room or time for them to safely do a U-turn and give chase, but don't let that fool you. Chances are they've probably radioed ahead.
- If it's a large group of bikes by the time the last rider passes, those at the front are long gone.

lightspeed
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
If youre on a open road way above the limit, is there really a reason for a cop to chase? just askin...

Fugayzin
Sat Apr 11th, 2009, 10:48 PM
If youre on a open road way above the limit, is there really a reason for a cop to chase? just askin...

Naaaaa, it just looks like you're speeding since there is nobody around. 8)

Zanos
Sun Apr 12th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I have seen it several times. As stated, it is the "he dummy, slow down and this is your visual warning."

Bueller
Sun Apr 12th, 2009, 06:57 AM
The question can not have an answer.

Dietrich_R1
Sun Apr 12th, 2009, 07:06 AM
The question can not have an answer.

That is the Answer isn't it???? :)

Bueller
Sun Apr 12th, 2009, 07:44 AM
That is the Answer isn't it???? :)
It is an opinion, which is all anyone can give.

Matt
Sun Apr 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Chalk it up to luck.

A friend on an RC-51 was doing 100+ near Deckers. The cop who pulled him over was near the end of his shift and let my friend off with a 19 over ticket (54 in a 35). The cop didn't want to spend the time to arrest him and impound his bike. Just pure luck (the good kind).

A friend and I were pulled over for passing on the double yellow. The guy we passed was doing 10 in a 40 zone. He had a pickup loaded with firewood plus a trailer loaded with firewood. We passed where you could easily see for half a mile. The cops (yes 2 of them) that pulled us over had been bored all day. They originally were going to impound my friends bike (a tow truck was on the way) and arrest him. After 2 hours of sitting on the side of the road listening to their bullshit (I truly believe they were trying to entice one of us to take a punch), they finally lets us go with careless driving tickets. Again, just luck, the bad kind.

Too many motorcyclists have done too many stupid things over the years. If you ride and break any law, expect the maximum penalties. If you get passed over for a ticket, count yourself lucky.

Bat
Sun Apr 12th, 2009, 09:44 AM
:imwithstupid:

Luck pretty much covers it.
Some of us have good luck, some of us just don't learn!