PDA

View Full Version : Pirates and Terrorists and nukes... oh my.

salsashark
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM
North Korea Expels UN Nuclear Inspectors, Removes Seals (http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-04-14-voa45.cfm)

Since we talk so much about the war on terror, and recently the pirates of Somalia... I figured I'd see what your feelings are about this little gem.

Personally, this scares me more than Iran ever would. While I feel that Iran is certainly moving towards nuclear capabilities, I don't see Isreal allowing them to complete their goals. I also don't think Iran is crazy enough to actually use a nuke knowing full well of the worlds' response tactics.

On the other hand, there's North Korea... I do believe that Kim Jong-Il is a couple of french fries short of a happy meal and would gladly nuke the world just say he did (for the few minutes he had left to live). I also think this could very well be yet another time where NK fluffs it's feathers and the UN gives them whatever they want (money, technology, etc)... another posture, threat and cash in.

Shea
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I figure if we can talk to him, give him whatever he demands, he will realize that we are actually good people and stop his provocative actions.

salsashark
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
:spit:

Devaclis
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Mutually Assured Destruction.

dirkterrell
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Personally, this scares me more than Iran ever would. While I feel that Iran is certainly moving towards nuclear capabilities, I don't see Isreal allowing them to complete their goals. I also don't think Iran is crazy enough to actually use a nuke knowing full well of the worlds' response tactics.

Although I'm not too fond of either one having the bomb, Iran scares me because of the religious control. Megalomaniacs tend to have a strong sense of self-preservation. Religious fanatics want to get to the afterlife anyway. They will do insane things in the name of their god. Case in point, 9-11. I do agree that Israel is a deterring factor in the case of Iran though.

Dirk

modette99
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Snowman
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM
On the other hand, there's North Korea... I do believe that Kim Jong-Il is a couple of french fries short of a happy meal and would gladly nuke the world just say he did (for the few minutes he had left to live). I also think this could very well be yet another time where NK fluffs it's feathers and the UN gives them whatever they want (money, technology, etc)... another posture, threat and cash in.Dude you give Kim Jong-Il way too much credit…
He’s more like a burger and a drink short of a happy meal, not just a couple of French Fries.

I’m sure this dude has it in his will to detonate every nuke they have at the time of his death in glorious solute to his former existence.

Shea
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I do agree that Israel is a deterring factor in the case of Iran though.

Dirk

I will have to disagree with you Dirk. Given that Mahmoud talks to a dead imam in a well and believes that the Mahdi will only come about through an apocalyptic war, I don't think Israel having the bomb is, in anyway shape or form, a deterrent to Iran. That and they believe they are on a mission from God.

As soon as they get a bomb, it's flying.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Israel = US TAX $$

dirkterrell
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I will have to disagree with you Dirk. Given that Mahmoud talks to a dead imam in a well and believes that the Mahdi will only come about through an apocalyptic war, I don't think Israel having the bomb is, in anyway shape or form, a deterrent to Iran. That and they believe they are on a mission from God.

No, no, I meant that Israel is likely to take unilateral action to keep Iran from getting it, rather than getting bogged down in the do-nothing bureaucracy of the Useless Nations. I agree with you that the Iranians wouldn't be deterred from trying to build a bomb because of a fear of Israeli retaliation. Like I said, self-preservation doesn't seem to be a strong suit of these modern fanatics.

Dirk

Shea
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM
No, no, I meant that Israel is likely to take unilateral action to keep Iran from getting it, rather than getting bogged down in the do-nothing bureaucracy of the Useless Nations. I agree with you that the Iranians wouldn't be deterred from trying to build a bomb because of a fear of Israeli retaliation. Like I said, self-preservation doesn't seem to be a strong suit of these modern fanatics.

Dirk

Gotcha. Yeah, Israel has about as much reverence for the UN as I do.

TFOGGuys
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Dirk
The Israelis have a long history of not waiting for approval. They've bombed Iranian, Iraqi, Syrian, and Jordanian facilities that they thought were a threat before, and Netanyahu does not have the pacifist leanings of his immediate predecessors. Israel will take care of the Iranian nuke problem long before they have a viable weapon.

rforsythe
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I say fuck N. Korea.

We should of took out the missile on the launch pad. N. Korea is full of BS. What will they do attack S. Korea! I doubt it. I say we should call their bluff. Hell I bet most of the people there be happy to see Kim dead.

Yes, they will attack S Korea; they've been trying continually since the cease-fire, just in more covert ways than all-out combat. I think that twisted little bastard is just waiting for a reason to go on a rampage, even if it means a lot of his own countrymen will die. Remember, people in DPRK (NK) don't get normal media; his soldiers will likely believe that what they're doing is necessary for the continued existence of society as a whole and that all of the evil imperialist bastards (that's us) deserve to burn.

I'm not so quick to wish Kim dead just yet. While I think he's an unstable crackpot, his brainwashing is also what is keeping his country in line despite incredible poverty and suffering. Conditions are so bad there that the dead are actually stolen for food (Soylent Green?) unless the graves are guarded for several days. Remember what happened when Saddam was removed from power? Instant chaos and a lot more people dead. I don't think NK is dumb enough to launch a nuke, but they will certainly wave it around, blast some rockets into the ocean, and claim they killed the imperialist assholes of the world to their people. They know damn well that actually striking any other nation would be suicide.

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, they will attack S Korea; they've been trying continually since the cease-fire, just in more covert ways than all-out combat. I think that twisted little bastard is just waiting for a reason to go on a rampage, even if it means a lot of his own countrymen will die. Remember, people in DPRK (NK) don't get normal media; his soldiers will likely believe that what they're doing is necessary for the continued existence of society as a whole and that all of the evil imperialist bastards (that's us) deserve to burn.

I'm not so quick to wish Kim dead just yet. While I think he's an unstable crackpot, his brainwashing is also what is keeping his country in line despite incredible poverty and suffering. Conditions are so bad there that the dead are actually stolen for food (Soylent Green?) unless the graves are guarded for several days. Remember what happened when Saddam was removed from power? Instant chaos and a lot more people dead. I don't think NK is dumb enough to launch a nuke, but they will certainly wave it around, blast some rockets into the ocean, and claim they killed the imperialist assholes of the world to their people. They know damn well that actually striking any other nation would be suicide.
In short, we prefer the devil we know to the devil we don't

puckstr
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Fuck you Honz Bixx you but fucking son of a bitch
http://www.thefilmjournal.com/images/teamamerica.jpg

Shea
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 03:40 PM
In short, we prefer the devil we know to the devil we don't

Probably not so much that as we know exactly the devil that would come in. The only thing keeping hundreds of thousands of refugees flooding into China and South Korea is that nut job. A collapse of North Korea is not something any of it's neighbors wants. Even if it were politically "convenient" for the US

DFab
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Ahmadinejad has no real power in Iran, he's more of a spokesman than anything. The supreme leader Ayatollah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayatollah) Ali Khamenei (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Khamenei) is the one running things.

Shea
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Ahmadinejad has no real power in Iran, he's more of a spokesman than anything. The supreme leader Ayatollah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayatollah) Ali Khamenei (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Khamenei) is the one running things.

And that is supposed to make it all better?

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/meast/12/15/mideast.iran.reut/

DFab
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
No that doesn't "make it all better". I thought my point was pretty clear: the crazy shit that Ahmadinejad says is unimportant.

Shea
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
No that doesn't "make it all better". I thought my point was pretty clear: the crazy shit that Ahmadinejad says is unimportant.

If they both are saying they are going to destroy Israel, it really is unimportant which of them is running Iran. Add to that the various factions of Al Quds doing this and that without the blessing of either of them.

brennahm
Tue Apr 14th, 2009, 06:41 PM
For all I care, Israel can go the way of the dinosaurs, Israel is just one REALLY bad idea.

Let's just hope when they do something stupid that the US doesn't go running to help. Let Iran retaliate and wipe them away and we can do the same to Iran. Problem solved.