PDA

View Full Version : My new hairy homey!!!

bulldog
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I pick him up on Friday, he is one year old and needed a home because his owner died in combat while in the ARMY. His name is "Bubba" :lol:

http://images.craigslist.org/3m63p83o6ZZZZZZZZZ94cfd35afbe105e1ee2.jpg

UglyDogRacing
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 08:11 AM
nate how big is he?

bulldog
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
He is about 58 pounds, so much smaller than my current bulldog "Indy" that is about 85 pounds.

Devaclis
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 08:23 AM
That is a good lookin' puppah!!!!

UglyDogRacing
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 08:23 AM
He is about 58 pounds, so much smaller than my current bulldog "Indy" that is about 85 pounds.

Dude! Indy is fatter than that!!!!

nattynoo
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Congrats!!!

We get the new puppy today. They will have to get together for some play time, since I am sure "Bubba" is still all puppy at only a year old :lol:

bulldog
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Dude! Indy is fatter than that!!!!
lol...no just got him weighed a few months ago. He is just buff! :lol:

Congrats!!!

We get the new puppy today. They will have to get together for some play time, since I am sure "Bubba" is still all puppy at only a year old :lol: Yeah I saw that, cute puppy you guys got. How exciting! Funny yours will be taller than Bubba in about...one week. lol

Hey I did follow your advice Natty and didn't juts buy a puppy from a breeder and found one that needed a home :) If you or anyone else knows a affordable place to get him neutured, let me know. My vet is saying $100 for surgery, $33 pain medicine, and $55 for blood work prior to the anesthesia. I heard of a place called Harrison Animal hospital that only does neuturing/spaying for around $100, but never heard of the place.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:35 AM
You can call around to the various animal shelters and ask them about who is cheapest, they'll help you out since they WANT all those critters to be fixed! Sometimes some of the shelters will also have deals set up where you can bring your pet in and have them fixed for super cheap - just have to know when the days are. But call them!

Wyck
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:14 AM
How cute! I saw a bulldog when I was looking at one of the shelter sites and thought of you. But it was 110 lbs!!!! :shocked:

http://www.maxfund.org/Adopt/AdoptMe.aspx?aId=603

SaShWhO
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:21 AM
his face looks like yours!

sad to hear his former owners fate. RIP soldier

Matty
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Nate or Jim... could one of you PM a good Bulldog breeder. I'm actually thinking about picking one up. Not for a few months but wouldn't mind checking a few out.

bulldog
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM
How cute! I saw a bulldog when I was looking at one of the shelter sites and thought of you. But it was 110 lbs!!!! :shocked:

http://www.maxfund.org/Adopt/AdoptMe.aspx?aId=603 (http://www.maxfund.org/Adopt/AdoptMe.aspx?aId=603)

He is cute too, but I guess it would not of worked out since he doesn't get along well with other dogs. I am thinking that is an American Bulldog though and not and English. I am just happy I got to give one that needed a home a place.

Nate or Jim... could one of you PM a good Bulldog breeder. I'm actually thinking about picking one up. Not for a few months but wouldn't mind checking a few out. I think Jim and my new English Bulldog were both rescues that needed a home and didn't come froma breeder. Indy came from a breeder a few states away (11 years ago) and I can see if I can find the info. Just be aware full bred AKC papered go for around $2,200. not sure if you are interested but there are bulldog rescue organizations that you can get put one their waiting list for when one comes in that suits you. I have been watching this site closely for a few months http://www.rescuebulldogs.org/display.pl

Matty
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Nate... thanx for the info... wouldn't mind rescueing one ether.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Nate or Jim... could one of you PM a good Bulldog breeder. I'm actually thinking about picking one up. Not for a few months but wouldn't mind checking a few out.

Both mine are rescue dogs.

bulldog
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Nate... thanx for the info... wouldn't mind rescueing one ether. NP, might work out well if you have the time to wait. With the economy bad right now a lot of people are getting rid of perfectly healthy dogs because they cannot afford to take care of them, so you may get lucky. Watch Craigslist too, that is where I found this guy. Not sure how familiar you are with English bulldogs, but I can help you out and you can even come by and see how they act. Which is pretty much like lazy goofy dog clowns. lol

Matty
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:19 AM
right on...

GrlRdr
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I got my Boxer fixed at Every Creature Counts. They go by weight and he was only $40. However, certain breeds require more experience and knowledge, such as my Dane, who cost me about $200-250 to get fixed. I would have never taken my Dane to get fixed where I took my Boxer. It wasn't a bad experience, by any means, it was actually very good and I'd take any "normal" sized dog there. Just not a Dane. I don't know much about bulldogs and how much special treatment they need...

Slo
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Too bad about his owner, but at least he has a good home still. Were you able to get any info about his owner?

Wyck
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Matty I posted the link to the bulldog I was talking about in my earlier post. Big boy but he is gorgeous. :)

Slo
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Wierd, just read the home page about maxfund, and how they need volunteers and fosters, but when you goto volunteer, they say they are full and can't take anymore volunteers.

How can a rescue not take another volunteer? I have worked with rescues before numerous times and we never turned volunteers away.

Wyck
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I dunno. My dad volunteers there I will ask him.

Edit: Talked to him and he said they are not full. Website looks like it hasn't been updated since it said that there would be openings starting Jan 09.

nattynoo
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Harrison Animal hospital that only does neuturing/spaying for around $100, but never heard of the place.

Great place. I used to intern there and if you want to get your animal spayed/neutered that is the place to go.

Every morning they do about 15-30 surgeries. I know that sounds like a lot but, they know exactly what they are doing and can get the surgeries done in a fraction of the time it would take a regular vet (I know cuz I work for one LOL). The shorter the time your dog is under anesthesia the better!!!

I think by the time all the charges work out, you will pay close to if not a bit under $100. At least that is what they were charging when I was last there, which was last fall.

If I was still interning there I would make a point to be there during his surgery!

I am very glad that you were able to find a dog that you wanted to rescue. There are so many dogs out there that need a home and if is great that you were willing to do the job. Hopefully your rehab experience with him will be as easy as possible :up:

And you should bring him to the DDFL Furry Scurry if you can!!!

Good luck :D

nattynoo
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I got my Boxer fixed at Every Creature Counts. They go by weight and he was only $40. However, certain breeds require more experience and knowledge, such as my Dane, who cost me about $200-250 to get fixed. I would have never taken my Dane to get fixed where I took my Boxer. It wasn't a bad experience, by any means, it was actually very good and I'd take any "normal" sized dog there. Just not a Dane. I don't know much about bulldogs and how much special treatment they need...

There really isn't a big difference in anatomy between different sized dogs, testicles are testicles. Its the dogs like Bulldogs that need more knowledge when it comes to medical practice, but not for a neuter, since its a pretty basic and external surgery. Since you got Zane pexied (a much more complex surgery) at the same time you had him neutered, I understand why you didn't go to a spay/neuter "clinic" :up:

But if you were doing just the neuter, you could have had him neutered anywhere with no problems :D

Jason ON
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Awesome find, Bulldog.

firefghtr
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM
lol...no just got him weighed a few months ago. He is just buff! :lol:

Yeah I saw that, cute puppy you guys got. How exciting! Funny yours will be taller than Bubba in about...one week. lol

Hey I did follow your advice Natty and didn't juts buy a puppy from a breeder and found one that needed a home :) If you or anyone else knows a affordable place to get him neutured, let me know. My vet is saying $100 for surgery, $33 pain medicine, and $55 for blood work prior to the anesthesia. I heard of a place called Harrison Animal hospital that only does neuturing/spaying for around $100, but never heard of the place.

I have gone through Harrison and it is only like $100 for everything. I was pleased with my puppies results

GrlRdr
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:39 PM
There really isn't a big difference in anatomy between different sized dogs, testicles are testicles. Its the dogs like Bulldogs that need more knowledge when it comes to medical practice, but not for a neuter, since its a pretty basic and external surgery. Since you got Zane pexied (a much more complex surgery) at the same time you had him neutered, I understand why you didn't go to a spay/neuter "clinic" :up:

But if you were doing just the neuter, you could have had him neutered anywhere with no problems :D

True, true...but I was talking more along the lines of anesthesia. Zane's lines (not sure about all Danes) according to his breeder require 1/4 of the amount of the recommended dosage for his size. Giving the actual recommended amount for his weight most likely would have killed him!

Also...when you take your dogs to Every Creature Counts, it's a motor home sitting outside the shelter with kennels built into the wall where they keep the dogs getting fixed that day. Jäger had to go into the biggest cage they had...there was NO WAY Zane was going to fit into one of those things!! LOL!

GrlRdr
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I did get my bunny fixed at Harrison about 8 years ago and had a good experience! He was an indoor bunny, litterbox trained, hopped around the apartment all day! Awesome! His name was Bunny. Real original! LOL!

sprtbkbabe
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 07:08 AM
:imwithstupid: Harrison Memorial. They are off 2nd & Federal: 303.722.2100 They don't keep pups there overnight, so plan on that (also saves BIG in expenses)

bulldog
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I will look into Harrison since they seem to get good reviews from you all :)

nattynoo
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 10:52 AM
True, true...but I was talking more along the lines of anesthesia. Zane's lines (not sure about all Danes) according to his breeder require 1/4 of the amount of the recommended dosage for his size. Giving the actual recommended amount for his weight most likely would have killed him!

Also...when you take your dogs to Every Creature Counts, it's a motor home sitting outside the shelter with kennels built into the wall where they keep the dogs getting fixed that day. Jäger had to go into the biggest cage they had...there was NO WAY Zane was going to fit into one of those things!! LOL!

Not all Danes are that way. When I was interning at Harrison we would have at least one Dane a week if not more. They all took the same "dose" of anesthesia as any other dog (Isoflurane gas is used and the ratio of gas:oxygen is always the same, doesn't matter on the size of the dog. That is why different sized ventilation bags are used). That is certainly a strange thing about Zane's lines and being under anesthesia. Do you know what Dr. King said about his surgery and the levels of anethesia he had to use? Just curious :up:

I can again see why you didn't use the Every Creature Counts service...I couldn't imagine if their biggest kennel was just big enough for lil Jager LOL

nattynoo
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I did get my bunny fixed at Harrison about 8 years ago and had a good experience! He was an indoor bunny, litterbox trained, hopped around the apartment all day! Awesome! His name was Bunny. Real original! LOL!

I am glad that "Bunny" handled the anethesia ok...a lot of rabbits really don't do that well during surgeries. A good percentage, I don't know an exact figure, of them end up with complications during surgery and dying :(

Nick_Ninja
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I am glad that "Bunny" handled the anethesia ok...a lot of rabbits really don't do that well during surgeries. A good percentage, I don't know an exact figure, of them end up with complications during surgery and dying :(

That is sad :cry:

~Barn~
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM
What kinda dog is that!!? That's craaaazy! I ain't never seen no dog like that. If he bites me... I'ma kill it.

http://www.red-hot-mama.com/images/uploads/2007/b_fellow.jpg