PDA

View Full Version : Getting a bike home from another state

salsashark
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Here's a question for those of you who have bought bikes from out of state... How did you get it home?

So I found a smoking deal in Austin and I was considering flying down to Austin and riding the bike home... I'm pretty sure I've seen stories similar to this on the board, but search has failed me.

Has anyone done this? What kind of prep work needs to be done? How did you plate it to ride it home (get a temp in the buying state or ride home on owners plates)?

I could drive down and load it into the truck, but the gas & time for that would kill the money saved over some of the local bikes I've found.

Suggestions, comments welcome...

brennahm
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I'd love to help you out, but my truck is going to be full as I pass nearby early next week.

Devaclis
Ask Chris :) (Aracheon)

konichd
There are a number of companies that can ship the bike. This might be a good option as its usually 300-500 bucks delivered. No need to worry about getting insurance, papers, etc. also what is your time worth?

A guy I know bought a CBR 1000RR in Texas about 2 weeks ago, ran into snow, rain, ended up having to stay overnight in New Mexico for a night. When it was all said and done he would have saved money shipping it.

dm_gsxr
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I did that with the Transalp coming from Oklahoma.

1. Make sure your insurance is up to date. Check of course but ours had no problem insuring the bike.

2. In Oklahoma the tag came with the bike so no tag problems. I've read several stories over on sport-touring.net about people who've ridden bikes home from other states that didn't have tags.

3. As long as you have a bill of sale, you have a few days grace period to get the bike registered as long as you aren't riding it around (ride it straight home basically). Colorado's is 2 or 3 days for instance.

Basically don't ride like a maniac on the way home, have your paperwork handy, and don't run :D

Carl

Edit: And I took the bus down to get the bike. Here's my story: http://schelin.org/20060714/ :D

salsashark
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Well, if I decide to drop the hammer and get it, it wouldn't be until the end of April into May so I'm not worried about the weather...

Plus, what better way to get to know a bike then a nice 18 hour ride.

I considered the shipping and 3-5 hundred it may be worth doing that, I always thought it was more expensive.

eg bter
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I shipped a whole car from Kansas to Georgia for $500. Just have to work with a shipper who already has a load, keeps costs down.

Wyck
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:19 AM
What ya looking at? Is this a dealer with several units?

GixxerCarrie
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Yup...we do it when we buy horses all the time, or are moving them to different trainers in different states, and its about the same price. Like Wayne said....Just got to find the shipper who already has a load.

MetaLord 9
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I think you should organize an iron butt ride down to get the thing so that if you break down, you've got folks on hand. If you go get it, just take the plate off of your current bike & toss it on there, as long as you plan on not riding stupid. That'll keep you from getting pulled over for not having a tag.

Devaclis
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I'll go with ya man. Can we do an entirely "off-road" trip?

salsashark
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:37 AM
The bike's being offered through a private seller, these things are a premium in Colorado so there would be quite a savings over getting a similarly equipped bike locally (several $K).

As for plate swapping... I'd rather fly down on a weekday and see about getting a temp tag for the bike then play the swapping game. While I'm not worried about riding stupid or anything, on the off chance I get stopped, I don't want to have to explain that.

salsashark
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I'll go with ya man. Can we do an entirely "off-road" trip?

Well, I'm looking at a Beamer, but not that kind...

Tipys
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
are you getting an RC51?

mtnairlover
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Ok...spill it buddy...what'chya lookin' at?

Wish I could help out, but this house-buying thing is gonna heat up. Things are getting close to the end and I just don't know too much about free time anymore.

salsashark
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:48 AM
are you getting an RC51?

The RC's are always fun to look at and ride, but I doubt I would ever own one. Just not practical for me.

Ok...spill it buddy...what'chya lookin' at?

Wish I could help out, but this house-buying thing is gonna heat up. Things are getting close to the end and I just don't know too much about free time anymore.

Thinking about picking up a super sport tourer... aka K1200s

Something I can jump on and go without having to dive into bungie cord hell or spend thousand on to make comfortable.

I know all about the house thing... good luck and let us know when your ready to move... I'll be there to help.

mtnairlover
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'll let ya know...looks like maybe June...hoping for mid-June. I've gotta friend with a K1200RS. He's ridden that thing for a couple thousand miles in one shot and hasn't complained. Only thing he's had problems with is the clutch, but other than that, he hasn't talked about getting rid of it...yet.

I'm still thinking that my Zed will be fine for the long hauls...yeah, I'm just a tad nuts, too.

Tipys
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:09 AM
oh damn cause i was gonna say if it was an rc i could go pick it up for you.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Salsa...gimme a few and I'll hunt through another forum I'm on... I know there is a thread on there about different bike shippers that people have used and their thoughts on 'em. I'll email you whatever I find.

salsashark
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
:up:

SaShWhO
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM
beem dream:yumyum:

ride it!

salsashark
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:45 AM
that would, of course, be my first choice.

ChrisCBX
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:50 AM
A lot of guys use Forward Air.

https://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp

Aracheon
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ask Chris :) (Aracheon)

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24893

ChrisCBX
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
The way that Chris (Aracheon) brought his home is by far, the best way.

The bikes that I have bought in the past from out of state have been nothing more than piles of parts.

One of these days, I'm gonna buy a bike that is in a condition that allows me to ride it back from Seattle or Dallas or wherever :)