PDA

View Full Version : Never leave a window open, just in case...

Snowman
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Last weekend McMurdo Station had a storm and one of the dorms had a little problem.

http://rapidferretracing.com/Antarctica/Images/2009-04-14_Storm_3.jpg

http://rapidferretracing.com/Antarctica/Images/2009-04-14_Storm_4.jpg

eg bter
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM
lol

Devaclis
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Wait:

2 china hutches and a surround sound system? Spoiled scientists!!!

Snowman
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Your tax dollars at work...

Devaclis
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
My tax dollars paid for that window. I want my money back :)

Snowman
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Find me a window rated for -150° below 0° and 160mph winds and I’ll give you your money back.

McVaaahhh
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Oops. :lol:

Devaclis
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Find me a window rated for -150° below 0° and 160mph winds and I’ll give you your money back.

I will get you a quote for something in "adobe" or "cast manure" I hear it is all the rage in the SW :)

Devaclis
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Oh, I meant to ask: Have you ever tried to see if your pee freezes mid-stream while down there? That would be the FIRST thing I did :)

Snowman
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Oh, I meant to ask: Have you ever tried to see if your pee freezes mid-stream while down there? That would be the FIRST thing I did :)Down to -50° is makes it all the way to the snow.
No one has of yet lived through an attempt at -150° and 160mph winds.
We may never know…

And I also bet you would are the type to put it up against a metal pole wouldn’t you?

Devaclis
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Not again

Matty
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 01:04 PM
damn...

SaShWhO
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
nice pow pow:slappers:

rybo
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Interesting....I guided wildeness trips in northern wisconsin in the winter time and had done an experiment at -40 with my pee, and while it didn't freeze mid stream it was VERY slushy when it reached the ground. I could make a pile of pee.

wonder if humidity is a factor?

Devaclis
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Body temp may have factored in too.

Mental
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I have seen videos of a cup of coffee being thrown and it freezing before it hits the ground in North Dakota

Snowman
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Body temp may have factored in too.I doubt body temperature would have much of a factor. Being that the operating temperature range a human can exist at, is so narrow.

However, other higher freezing point chemicals in your stream could possibly affect the rate of freezing, making it quicker to solidify upon exiting the body. :)

Devaclis
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Fireball /pee discussion :)

Snowman
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I think alcohol would work more like an antifreeze, to lower the temperature at which your urine would solidify.

It would be interesting to see at what blood alcohol level it would take to begin to lower it freezing point.

Horsman
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Fireball /pee discussion :)

If I pee Fireballs at -50 degrees?? does it Freeze??? Deep Thoughts

64BonnieLass
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Oh, I meant to ask: Have you ever tried to see if your pee freezes mid-stream while down there? That would be the FIRST thing I did :)

Down to -50° is makes it all the way to the snow.
No one has of yet lived through an attempt at -150° and 160mph winds.
We may never know…

And I also bet you would are the type to put it up against a metal pole wouldn’t you?

Interesting....I guided wildeness trips in northern wisconsin in the winter time and had done an experiment at -40 with my pee, and while it didn't freeze mid stream it was VERY slushy when it reached the ground. I could make a pile of pee.

OMG, this is HARDLY a very ladylike discussion.
Wait...disregard! :angel:

Snowman
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM
OMG, this is HARDLY a very ladylike discussion.
Wait...disregard! :angel:Sorry sweetheart, boys will be boys….

dattaway
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Drops of water will survive the 45 foot fall in the -20F freezer at work. The time to reach the ground is a few seconds and will freeze on the ground in a heartbeat.

dirkterrell
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Well, the relative humidity down there is pretty high but the absolute humidity is low. But I doubt that has much to do with this. What is going to be critical is the surface area to volume ratio of the stream. The higher that number, the faster it will cool. A thin stream will cool/freeze faster than a thick one. So, size matters. It thus depends on whether you are causing a larger or smaller venturi effect with your guiding hand if you know what I mean. :)

The physics of pissing. Gotta love this board. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

Dirk

brennahm
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hey Bonnielass, you better get outta here before Gramps finds out!

So what would raise the freezing point? Maybe when you're good and blasted and all that comes out is water would be the ideal time?

Snowman
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Well, the relative humidity down there is pretty high but the absolute humidity is low. But I doubt that has much to do with this. What is going to be critical is the surface area to volume ratio of the stream. The higher that number, the faster it will cool. A thin stream will cool/freeze faster than a thick one. So, size matters. It thus depends on whether you are causing a larger or smaller venturi effect with your guiding hand if you know what I mean. :)

The physics of pissing. Gotta love this board. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

DirkYes, but with the extreme cold, wouldn’t shrinkage be a factor, even for larger girthed individuals?

Devaclis
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I always wanted to use Turgor Pressure in a conversation before. It does not apply here, since my weiner is not a plant, and if it was it would be Bonsai Tree. But I still got to use it :)

Sparker
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
what i find interesting is that people seemed to act as if nothing happened.. ya know sit on the couch, kick their legs up. relax. haha