PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here apply for a Passport Book recently?

~Barn~
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Just wondering how quickly they turned it around, and if it was a first-time application or a renewal?

Also, if you chose any of the "expedited" options available?

:dunno:

Matt
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM
We renewed both of ours in January last year. It took about 2 months to turn around. We didn't do the expedited option.

~Barn~
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Crikey.

Anybody here do a "first time" application, with any better results?

Nick_Ninja
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
First time February of last year. Expedited option. Two and one-half weeks.

SaShWhO
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Sumo just got one!

AetasMutuo
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, where do you have to go to apply?

~Barn~
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
You can go to lots of different places. Most post offices will do them. County Clerk and Recorder offices, etc...

Then there are "Passport Agencies" that will also do them, but they are more of a 3rd party way of getting them, and typically charge their own fees over and above what the standard cost it.

brennahm
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Mine was several years ago, I think mine was just over two weeks with the expedited option, first timer. I was happy with it.

sky_blue
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Mailed mine in on 3/27 for a name change. It's not back yet.

Filo
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
What do you need a passport for Barn? Aren't you still on a green card?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah - damn, I'm funny.

Oh, and my last passport took about 1 month, no expedite.

Sean
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Just renewed mine and got it last week. I paid to have it expedited and got it in 2.5 weeks. Good luck!

gtn
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Sumo and I applied recently (faint chance of the company needing to send us to Oz) and we got them in just under 4 weeks. His was a first time. Mine might as well have been since the passport I surrendered expired about 10 years ago.

RajunCajun
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Applied for the first time in September and expedited. It was about $120 from what I remember and took 2 weeks to come in....

Oh yeah, I went to USPS in Highlands Ranch, they took my picture and everything there. All I brought was a copy of my berth certificate and drivers license.

Panman06
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Our company international travelers use a few passport service vendors. You pay more but it's the way to go if you are in a rush. (< 1 month before travel)

denver_whitest185
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
i did it through the post office, and it only took three weeks. that was back in febuary.

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I renewed mine in 3/07, sent expedited. It was waiting for me when I got home from the PO.

SumoWeezle
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Like Gary and Sascha said, just got mine done. It was very quick and painless. I went to the post office in Brighton and was in and out in under 15 minutes. Took longer to get my pictures taken at the Walgreens by my house.

Got all my paperwork back before the time they told me it should arrive. I was very pleased with how smoothly it went.

Pharmgirl
Wed Apr 15th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Did mine last summer through USPS in Highlands Ranch, non-expedited. I got it in less than 2 weeks. Ken did his in USPS in Boulder the same way and got it in 2 weeks.

sprtbkbabe
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Renewed mine last year thru the Post Office downtown and got it in just over 2 weeks. Always used to head to that one as they took pics and sent it all in/got it back faster than other PO's. Maybe cuz it's a central hub... dunno

Good Luck & Bon Voyage

GixxerCarrie
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I also got mine in the past two years...If you fill out the form online, have an orig. of your birth certificate....have it ready and like Elliott said go someplace like the Highlands Ranch office where its an all in one shop you shouldn't have to pay for the expedited option...turn around for me was 3 weeks.

salsashark
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Got mine last year... like Carr said, fill out the forms in advance then head on down. Some POs set appointments for passports. Also, get your pic done at Walgreens, it's about half of what the PO will charge you.

I was amazed at how many people sat in line for an hour or more without having anything filled out. My first attempt I waited for over an hour and a half and bailed. I went back first thing in the morning and there were about ten people in front of me. Easily 75% of them hadn't done any prep work so I made it through super quick.

Wyck
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Got mine through the PO in January 08 took about 2-3 weeks nonexpedited.

eg bter
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Good to know...I have to get one this year as well.

Ricky
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Right now wait time would be short. Nobody is getting passports, because they can't afford it. Besides, an ton of people already took care of that mess, so the giant passport rush is over.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies and advise folks. I do have the paperwork filled out already, and since the trip isn't until late July, I'm not going to expedite anything. Certified birth certificate is also in hand, so I think I'm set. Just need to shave and get my pictures done. :D

Anyway.... Hearing about all your smooth transactions, is pleasing. :up:

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Maybe you could bribe customs with some of your new PS2 games :lol:

~Barn~
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I plan on bribing the people at Customs, with some ivory ashtrays.

And speaking of PS2 games, don't forget to PM me your home addy, so I can get that over to you. And thanks again Zach, that was a sweet hook-up of you! :up:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 09:39 AM
So where are you going?

~Barn~
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Tanya and I are going to Playa Del Carmen, in the Motherland.

The whole UFC 100 ticket fiasco screwed-us-over for that trip to Las Vegas, so this is our newie.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM

The whole UFC 100 ticket fiasco screwed-us-over for that trip to Las Vegas, so this is our newie.

¡Muy bueno señor!

~Barn~
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Muchas gracias, carnal.

Sean
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
When you going? Ang and I are in Cancun the first week of May.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 11:18 AM
July 29th through August 3rd.

Sean
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Fine....be that way. You'll love PdC, it's a fantastic and surreal type of place.

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Seriously though... I still can't believe they are charging $1,000 a seat for that fight...

~Barn~
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Fine....be that way. You'll love PdC, it's a fantastic and surreal type of place.

Yeah, I'm starting to get A.D.D. just thinking about it! And we're going to be there with some great friends, so it should be that much better.

The place we're staying is an all-inclusive resort, so not having to worry about those expenses should hopefully free up a few bucks to do something memorable. I'm not SCUBA'fied, and I doubt I'll pursue it, but I want to get a charter to take me out to sea, so I can do some free diving. I fully expect to pee my swimsuit, somewhere in the Caribbean.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Seriously though... I still can't believe they are charging $1,000 a seat for that fight...

Well, in all fairness, there were cheaper seats available.... For about 8 or 9 seconds, when they released them to paying "Fight Club" members.

On day #2, when pre-sale went out to newsletter subscribers (like me), all that was left were the 1k tickets, and I couldn't even buy those! They were sold out within seconds, as well.

Sigh......

~Barn~
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Woo-Hoo!! Passport pictures have now been takin'!

I'm smiling in mine, so they probably aren't going to be approved, but I'm going to give it a try! :lol:

Sully
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM

This is a great place to relax, enjoy the sand, water and sun ! It's definitely not a place for single people to hang out. The town is cute and lots of bargains to find too ! Have a great time, Barn ! :)

Big-J
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 11:11 AM
It's definitely not a place for single people to hang out. :)

What gave you that impression? I can tell you it's definately a place to be single and hang out! ;)

Sully
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM
No way ! When I was there, most of the people around were couples or families. VERY FEW single people around.... If you wanted the nightlife, you had to go into Cancun for FUN ! :bananna:

Sean
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 11:28 AM
No way ! When I was there, most of the people around were couples or families. VERY FEW single people around.... If you wanted the nightlife, you had to go into Cancun for FUN ! :bananna:Go to Cancun...okay, I will. :up: can't wait to sit on a freakin beach, relax and most likely be drunk by 10 am :hump:

Big-J
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 11:29 AM
No way ! When I was there, most of the people around were couples or families. VERY FEW single people around.... If you wanted the nightlife, you had to go into Cancun for FUN ! :bananna:

:wtf: I was in Playa last year and they had some pretty happening clubs and bars, and women everywhere! Can't wait for this trip!!

Sully
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
:lol:... Sounds like it's changed a lot since I was there... :up:.. I'm sure you guys will have fun !

DevilsTonic
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM
I have to apply for one for work too, seems like a big ole pain in the butt.

Sully
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
See if your employer will pay all the fees, AND get it expedited too ! :)

guessinthe2000
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:54 AM
I did mine to go to Cancun for spring break. Did it last minute. It took 2 days. There is a passport government agency in Aurora that did it. I got charged $160. PM me and I can tell you where it is.

dapper
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
The new passports are chipped.
Little green LED indicates the chip location.

If ya want to know how to handle the 'melt-down' of the circuit. Take a flash light, (the type that gets really hot) and hold it to the chip for a minute or two. If the binding is hot to the touch, the chip is fried. Oh, it's located near the binding, near the fold.

A hammer leaves marks...so I didn't strike the passport.:)

Big-J
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Whats funny is that is says on the State Dept. site that "since August of 2007, the US has been issuing only e-passports (http://travel.state.gov/passport/eppt/eppt_2498.html)". I don't have an e-passport, and I got mine this time last year. Stupid Government! I never got my birth certificate back either. :banghead::scream1: Im going to have to get another one one of these days, Im going to need it for something and Im not going to have it, and Im sure its a pain in the ass to replace also!:banghead: