PDA

View Full Version : America's Scariest Drives

mtnairlover
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Highway One/Big Sur (California)

Aspen to Leadville via Independence Pass (Colorado)

Tail of the Dragon (North Carolina/Tennessee)

State Route 16 (West Virginia)

Beartooth Highway (Wyoming/Montana)

Moki Dugway (Utah)

http://www.forbestraveler.com/adventure/scariest-highways-us-slide-3.html?thisSpeed=25000

Found this on Yahoo tonight. Some of those roads look like a wild ride and lotsa fun. Check out the pix.

willb003
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
So why are these scary?

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 10:11 PM
"The 187-mile drive from Aspen to Leadville..."

Huh?

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 10:12 PM
So why are these scary?

+1

Making a trip out to ride NC/WV would be amazing!

asp_125
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I-25 & Santa Fe interchange during rush hour... scaaawwey! :shock:
I-5 & I-405 merge in Irvine... :shock:

no?

eg bter
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM
The Dragon is the opposite of scary...its public road bliss

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I25 and Sante Fe isn't to bad it you take the right-side on ramp from Sante Fe.

How about 6th east bound trying to get on I25!!! The on/off for 5th right there is SCARY when semi's merge instantaneously!!!!

daemon
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 04:18 AM
i didn't think beartooth was scary at all.
independence was a bit hair raising,but i only went to the top and back down towards leadville

mtnairlover
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 06:11 AM
It's funny to me what some find scary and others find quite fun and exciting. I'm on the side of fun. Dunno why, but being brought up with drives in the mountains all over the Rockies from here to the Canadian Rockies and being on all kinds of roads, from those narrow one-lane types with sharp drop-offs and no guard rails, to those that skim right alongside rushing rivers, has kind of conditioned me to not freak out on any of them. Picture this...Dad is driving...it's a high mountain road, with a sharp drop-off...Dad is looking out over the edge as he's driving, saying..."Ohhh, look at that!...wow!...look at that!"...all along the drive. Yeah, so after years of doing that over and over again, you kinda get conditioned.

asp_125
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM
All of these look fun on a bike. They missed out HWY 550 over Red Mountain Pass. :up:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Million_Dollar_Highway_10_2006_09_13.jpg/800px-Million_Dollar_Highway_10_2006_09_13.jpg

Some of these roads would be scary in a cage, like trying to squeeze two SUVs in opposite directions through that lane and a half section of Independence Pass, by the grottos. If you want scary, go off road on some of the shelf roads back in the mountains.

Sean
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Not in the US, but there's a reason it is called "Death Road" in Bolivia.

XJ600s
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Nothing like pucker factor on a road that is sliding out from under you, on your first offroading trip. Not my picture, I was too stuck to my seat and hands were glued to my steering wheel instead of taking a picture.

Taylor Pass

http://hobojeepers.tripod.com/images/TP1trail3.jpg

(*Not my pic, but the best one I could find, its about a 1000 foot drop on the right. I remember it being slate, slanted downhill that while driving over the slate, it would slide your vehicle towards the cliff, so you had to be aiming at the high-side to avoid falling off).

Panman06
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I-25 & Santa Fe interchange during rush hour... scaaawwey! :shock:

no?

That's stupid insane. Brings out the rage every time I drive down there.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM
CO 141 is cliff type driving in spots. The road is in the upper right corner of the photo.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/DITR/DucatiinTheRockies080.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/DITR/DucatiinTheRockies071.jpg

Big-J
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Northern New Mexico has some scary roads! Back in the day hwy 502 (road to Los Alamos) was hanging off a cliff with a tiny ass guard rail. I hated going to LA when I was a kid. 68 (south of Taos) is also really scary, it only two lanes in most parts, you have to watch for falling boulders and drunk drivers are always a factor. :(

Panman06
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Nothing like pucker factor on a road that is sliding out from under you, on your first offroading trip. Not my picture, I was too stuck to my seat and hands were glued to my steering wheel instead of taking a picture.

Taylor Pass

http://hobojeepers.tripod.com/images/TP1trail3.jpg

(*Not my pic, but the best one I could find, its about a 1000 foot drop on the right. I remember it being slate, slanted downhill that while driving over the slate, it would slide your vehicle towards the cliff, so you had to be aiming at the high-side to avoid falling off).

Taylor is definitely on my list for pucker factor. The last stretch of Webster/Red Cone as well.

Independence Pass? :wtf:

modette99
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Keyser Soze
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
CO 141 is cliff type driving in spots. The road is in the upper right corner of the photo.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/DITR/DucatiinTheRockies080.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/DITR/DucatiinTheRockies071.jpg

Nice pics Jeff. Good times

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Scariest drives? Early '80's, going home from the AC/DC show at the LA Forum, and getting lost well after midnight deep in Watts with 2 dingy white females....one of them driving......:shocked:

A cop pulled us over because us white folk were so out of place there, he took us to the freeway......WHEW!

HoooshLava
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM
+1

Making a trip out to ride NC/WV would be amazing!

meh i've been on 4 of the 6 and i've def been on more scary roads. i mean i use to ride deals gap 2-3x a week before the cops decided to come. nothing scary about it until you come around a blind turn with a semi in your lane :shocked:

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM

Cake. :D

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Scariest drives? Early '80's, going home from the AC/DC show at the LA Forum, and getting lost well after midnight deep in Watts with 2 dingy white females....one of them driving......:shocked:

A cop pulled us over because us white folk were so out of place there, he took us to the freeway......WHEW!

That happened to me too... in Watts... at about 1am... I was 16 years old and way lost...

Jim_Vess
Fri Apr 17th, 2009, 09:52 PM
"The 187-mile drive from Aspen to Leadville..."

Huh?

That distance is to Pueblo - "Aspen to Pueblo via Independence Pass"

BigE
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Hey Cath, don'tcha mean scenic drives???
Scary drives....New York city from pics, haven't been there.
Wash D.C...was out there for Xmas with my Ex and while driving down the highway had a guy change lanes and tagged bumpers. He just waved and went on his merry way. :eek:
Did the "got lost in the ghetto" of Chicago. Thank you to the officer who noted that a white boy and asian girl did not belong in that 'hood.

Pretty much give me severe dropoffs, blind corners and narrow curvy roads and take the superslabs and city streets.

mtnairlover
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Hey Cath, don'tcha mean scenic drives???

Pretty much give me severe dropoffs, blind corners and narrow curvy roads and take the superslabs and city streets.

Exactly. I only posted it that way, cuz it was written that way on the website...seemed kinda ironic to me, ya know...I mean, considering the people here.

I've never gotten lost in the inner city before. I haven't been to real scary cities either, though. Denver isn't that bad...been to San Francisco many times, way out East, like Pittsburgh, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City...but never really lost.

Yeah, I'm with everyone else on the sharp drop-offs, no guard rails, high mountain peaks, long sweepers, endless switchbacks, etc, etc...just can't get enough of 'em.