PDA

View Full Version : To the dude on colfax yesterday!

sugarrey
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM
To ride your bike in the snow dude.....It is snowing cats and dogs and there was at least 2 inches of snow on the ground.....And your riding your bike?????

Your either a complete moron, or really deperate! Which one was it?

Zach929rr
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM
What if dude just enjoys riding in the snow?

sugarrey
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
lol...i cant stop laughing at that even to post a come back! lol:shocked:

Zach929rr
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 11:40 AM
:lol: Maybe he has a studded rear?

sugarrey
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah, maybe......but for some reason I just dont think so. Don't see alot of smart moves from people on colfax.....

But I do live near it, shame on me

Zach929rr
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
What was he riding anyway?

sugarrey
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Was going the opposite way, and it was coming down pretty hard so I cant say for sure.....Appeared to be a black bike, older cbr or ninja maybe.

YZFRydn
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
That's insane

King Nothing
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I can guarantee weather like this scares not our intrepid Ruckus rider, Dysco.

guessinthe2000
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I give him props for even having the balls to ride his bike in this kind of weather

Tipys
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
There is a fine line between having balls and being a retard

Bueller
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
There is a fine line between having balls and being a retard
Isn't that ironical coming from you.

Centrios
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Sometimes you need to be somewhere and the bike is all you got. so what. Personally when I get caught in bad weather I just teleport to my destination.

dm_gsxr
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Some people are more dedicated than others. Not sure why you want to inflict your point of view or riding habits on someone else though.

Carl

sugarrey
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
To dm.....

Cause its irresponsible and idiotic to do something that dangerous, putting yourself and others in a situation of danger because YOUR AN IDIOT and you want to do something stupid like that.....

That is why! geezz dude, cmon

Centrios
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 02:55 PM
To dm.....

Cause its irresponsible and idiotic to do something that dangerous, putting yourself and others in a situation of danger because YOUR AN IDIOT and you want to do something stupid like that.....

I hear this from non riders about riders.
If something is to dangerous for you, then don't do it. Don't go bitchen about it.

sugarrey
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM
So your saying that the guy riding his streetbike on snow-covered roads and in the process of a snowstorm on public streets is a "RIDER" huh?

All I have to say is WOW!!!!!!!!

Well the non-rider, me, thinks its absolutely ridiculous, but to each his own I guess!!!

XJ600s
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
At the risk of being ridiculed for being a squid, idiotic rider, or newb, I've ridden in the snow before.

It's no different from riding a bicycle in the snow or even a car. Allow plenty of distance between you and the car in front of you to stop, accelerate smoothly and slowly, take turns even slower, and wear all gear.

I've ridden in up to 3 inches of snow on the ground here in Boulder. While I don't do it all the time, it was definitely a learning experience for me. You pay attention to everything your bike does and are more aware of your surroundings. I don't think this last storm was bike-worthy of riding in, but being the wet snow it was and no ice on the roads, it should have been relatively safe to ride in because the skinny tires of a bike would get through to concrete...nothing different from riding in the rain. However, the over-flowing gutters, and corners of intersections being flooded would have been extremely hazardous (hydroplaning on 2 wheels...).

If you don't want to ride your new sport bike in snow, then don't. But for me, having a 1994 bike that I'm not too attached to and realizing the risks of riding in bad weather (and not scared of road rash, I've had it too many times), I have no problems riding in weather that fair-weather riders won't. I think it just shows who the true riders are...I'm sure someone will bring up the pictures of people on this board who have ridden in snowy conditions, entire body covered in ice, and no one ridiculed them (thinking specifically of a guy on a hayabusa and red/yellow aerostitch suit), so what's so special about this guy you saw yesterday?

TFOGGuys
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I have been riding for about 25 years, and on a number of occasions, I have been obligated to ride in weather that makes the most recent storm look downright inviting. Don't discount a rider's intelligence or skills if you don't know the facts. It may well be that he was riding a buddy's bike 6 blocks to keep it from being impounded, after his buddy was checked into the hospital after being mugged (I did this in subzero weather in a freakin blizzard).

dm_gsxr
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
To dm.....

Riding a bike is dangerous. If you don't realize that, maybe you should be in an SUV or perhaps even on a bus as SUVs can roll over with an incompetent driver behind the wheel.

Personally I enjoy riding and will ride whenever possible and wherever legal. So you'll see me on my Hayabusa riding in the snow, on dirt roads, on the track, and in the rain.

There's always someone in a car looking over and likely thinking I'm an idiot for riding instead of driving in a car.

I review the situation before taking my bike out in the morning. About the only time I don't is when they're calling for a lot of snow (as they did for Friday; and in fact I didn't ride to work), or if there's ice on the roads. I'll take the car after a freeze and scope out my route and when I think it's safe (not you, not my wife, and not my insurance company), I'll take the bike to work.

You're certainly welcome to think whatever you like. No one can stop you. Think about the famous quote though: "It's best to keep quiet and let people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Carl

dm_gsxr
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'm sure someone will bring up the pictures of people on this board who have ridden in snowy conditions, entire body covered in ice, and no one ridiculed them (thinking specifically of a guy on a hayabusa and red/yellow aerostitch suit), so what's so special about this guy you saw yesterday?

http://schelin.org/20080416/dscn9775x600.jpg

That'd be me. And had my 'busa been out of the shop, I'd probably have ridden it to work yesterday. If nothing else, it gets me out of work early :D

Carl

XJ600s
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM
http://schelin.org/20080416/dscn9775x600.jpg

That'd be me. And had my 'busa been out of the shop, I'd probably have ridden it to work yesterday. If nothing else, it gets me out of work early :D

Carl

Thank you for posting that! I forgot who it was, but I've also seen other pictures with people in bad weather. If you've got the gear, and feel up to riding in bad weather, more power to ya!

dm_gsxr
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Thank you for posting that! I forgot who it was, but I've also seen other pictures with people in bad weather. If you've got the gear, and feel up to riding in bad weather, more power to ya!

That was last year and it wasn't all that bad really. The roads were just wet with a tiny bit of slush. If I'd been riding yesterday, I'd have been covered with quite a bit more.

I've stopped at gas stations and had to give a light tap to the turn signal or starter to break the little ice covering :)

And let's not forget:

http://www.schelin.org/20041202/day01/dscn4088x600.jpg

Also me :D

Carl

Centrios
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Riding a bike is dangerous. If you don't realize that, maybe you should be in an SUV or perhaps even on a bus as SUVs can roll over with an incompetent driver behind the wheel.

Personally I enjoy riding and will ride whenever possible and wherever legal. So you'll see me on my Hayabusa riding in the snow, on dirt roads, on the track, and in the rain.

There's always someone in a car looking over and likely thinking I'm an idiot for riding instead of driving in a car.

I review the situation before taking my bike out in the morning. About the only time I don't is when they're calling for a lot of snow (as they did for Friday; and in fact I didn't ride to work), or if there's ice on the roads. I'll take the car after a freeze and scope out my route and when I think it's safe (not you, not my wife, and not my insurance company), I'll take the bike to work.

You're certainly welcome to think whatever you like. No one can stop you. Think about the famous quote though: "It's best to keep quiet and let people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Carl

Nicely said Carl

Centrios
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:47 PM

You can tell its Carl because of the hot red and yellow pants!

sugarrey
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM
There's another saying:

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish"

I'm sure that almost 5% of the population would agree with you that riding your streetbike in the snow shows intelligence. But like I said in an earlier message, to each his own.

It's extreme, I'll give you that. In my 25+ years of existence I have never seen anyone ride a streetbike in the snow. But I have lived in Chicago all but the last few years of my life.

Let me ask you, when you ride in the snow do you use a studded tire?

dm_gsxr
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:56 PM
You can tell its Carl because of the hot red and yellow pants!

Actually it's a whole suit. If it's going to rain or snow I'll snag the Joe Rocket liner (double layer and waterproof) to go over the top. It holds in the heat so I'm warmer and blocks the water.

http://www.schelin.org/jpgshow.php?IMG_0199.jpg

Alaska sure is pretty, eh :)

http://schelin.org/20060610/day23/dscn7258x600.jpg

:D

Carl

dm_gsxr
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM
There's another saying:

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish"

I'm sure that almost 5% of the population would agree with you that riding your streetbike in the snow shows intelligence. But like I said in an earlier message, to each his own.

Don't knock if you haven't tried it :)

It's extreme, I'll give you that. In my 25+ years of existence I have never seen anyone ride a streetbike in the snow. But I have lived in Chicago all but the last few years of my life.

And again, I do scope out the situation and am well aware of the weather before going out. I don't have a problem calling my wife to come get me if it gets out of hand. Since the weather south of town is generally a lot worse than it is north, I don't know what the conditions were down there other than by reports. It's just as likely I would have bailed and called for a ride or stayed overnight in a motel.

Riding in downtown traffic (Chicago or Denver) is a lot riskier than the relatively sparse traffic to and from Longmont, even without the snow.

Let me ask you, when you ride in the snow do you use a studded tire?

Nope. Although I'd like to get some 2" spikes and try ice riding some time :D

Carl

sugarrey
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
DM, not gonna lie, you've peaked my interest. Snow riding could add that little bit of "adventure" I've been craving. If it dont work out......see the pic

dm_gsxr
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
DM, not gonna lie, you've peaked my interest. Snow riding could add that little bit of "adventure" I've been craving. If it dont work out......see the pic

Yep, always have a backout plan :)

Good luck :D

Carl