PDA

View Full Version : It’s TIME to pick up that AR-15

Centrios
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I don’t know if I should build or buy.
It seems everyone suggest build!! Hmmmm more fun and I would know it inside out…or give into the mountain of information and hours of work to figure this thing out and just buy one…

Ok, im going to build one, if I can enlist the help of some gun luvin bike ridin beer drinken inbred sons of b!%#$ . That’s you CSC!

So I shoot pistol but I don’t know much about rifles. Before you say “there’s tons of information on the net” I know I know I’ve been there, twice. Its just you have to spend hours and hours looking thru a jigsaw puzzle of information and on top of that you don’t really know what you don’t know. YA KNOW?!

What do I want? M4 style with .22LR conversion kit, basic not a lot of bells and whistles.

What do I want to spend? A reasonable amount say under a 1000.

What am I asking for? Someone to actually sit down and help with some of the following.
Parts selection: Chamber (.223 or 5.56), trigger type (two stage or one stage), sights (flip up, A3…) and more…question always come up when talking about it.
Brand selection: uppers, lowers, barrels, kits… what’s quality what’s not, compatibility issues, cost effectiveness (corner cutting).
Assembly: It looks like some special tools are needed. This is probably the easy part I could do myself. I just don’t want the assembly quality to be low because im “learning”.
Testing: Bang! It works! Done…. Mostly help for any malfunctions/error correction. Did the bolt latch/release properly, firing pin correctly set ect…
Sighting: Never done this, my sig shot straight, right out of the box!
Laws: Only aware of the barrel and overall length restrictions. Are there any CO/Fed laws governing “assembling” your own?

I know this is a whole lot to ask but if anyone is able to help with one or alllllll of these I would buy beer and pizza, help you move, let you burrow mine when your lady, AA sponsor or parole officer hides yours…
(What would kick a$$ is if someone want’s to do parallel builds! That AR of yours at home needs a brother!)

Nick

The Black Knight
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I don’t know if I should build or buy.
It seems everyone suggest build!! Hmmmm more fun and I would know it inside out…or give into the mountain of information and hours of work to figure this thing out and just buy one…

Ok, im going to build one, if I can enlist the help of some gun luvin bike ridin beer drinken inbred sons of b!%#$ . That’s you CSC!

So I shoot pistol but I don’t know much about rifles. Before you say “there’s tons of information on the net” I know I know I’ve been there, twice. Its just you have to spend hours and hours looking thru a jigsaw puzzle of information and on top of that you don’t really know what you don’t know. YA KNOW?!

What do I want? M4 style with .22LR conversion kit, basic not a lot of bells and whistles.

What do I want to spend? A reasonable amount say under a 1000.

What am I asking for? Someone to actually sit down and help with some of the following.
Parts selection: Chamber (.223 or 5.56), trigger type (two stage or one stage), sights (flip up, A3…) and more…question always come up when talking about it.
Brand selection: uppers, lowers, barrels, kits… what’s quality what’s not, compatibility issues, cost effectiveness (corner cutting).
Assembly: It looks like some special tools are needed. This is probably the easy part I could do myself. I just don’t want the assembly quality to be low because im “learning”.
Testing: Bang! It works! Done…. Mostly help for any malfunctions/error correction. Did the bolt latch/release properly, firing pin correctly set ect…
Sighting: Never done this, my sig shot straight, right out of the box!
Laws: Only aware of the barrel and overall length restrictions. Are there any CO/Fed laws governing “assembling” your own?

I know this is a whole lot to ask but if anyone is able to help with one or alllllll of these I would buy beer and pizza, help you move, let you burrow mine when your lady, AA sponsor or parole officer hides yours…
(What would kick a$$ is if someone want’s to do parallel builds! That AR of yours at home needs a brother!)

Nick
Well I can help you with some of your Q's. As far as wanting a AR in .22LR well that's your deal not mine. I wouldn't suggest it but that's me. However, you should be able to build one for way less than $1000, although with the frenzy we are seeing right now. Uppers have gone up(way up) but everything else is still decent in price.

Also, .223 is 5.56(has a taller neck on the case but not much difference) though you'll want to make sure your gun will accept 5.56. Because if you can shoot a 5.56, then it will handle .223. Other ballistic differences are about 10,000psi between the two. Since the 5.56 is a Nato(military) round, the .223 is the civilian version. 5.56's will thump a little harder but that's about it. Bullet grain weights are different to some extent. Usually your 5.56's will handle heavier bullets. Get a reloading book(Nosler, Speer) and it will break down alot of the differences between the two.

As far as brands(manufactures) go, I'd say stick with DPMS, Bushmaster, Armalite type stuff. You can find other stuff out there but some of the build qualities aren't as good. You can also buy just stripped down uppers as well. Lowers, basically the same thing, as for barrels I'm sure you could find a whole line of barrels. Nice thing is if you keep alot of your parts manufacture specific you'll have all the parts numbers and only have one place to go for to get newer or replacement parts.

As for the rest, you'll have to have someone else help you with assembly and testing or sighting. But for Laws on the barrel length. I do believe 16" is as short as you can go. Most barrels run from 16" to 24" but you can get longer ones.

Also if you want a place to start with AR15 parts check out Midway USA (http://www.midwayusa.com) for all your AR parts you'll need. Their prices are good and usually have everything in stock(unless it comes to reloading stuff and Midway is suckin bad on that front).

Hope this points you in the right direction at least.

p.s.
Oh yeah one more other thing, AR15.com (http://www.ar15.com/)

fullgrownbear
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Contact my buddy at www.shadesofgraytactical.com

I work with him, he's the company owner. Privately owned one man business, but he can get you anything you need at a good price.

Centrios
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Well I can help you with some of your Q's. As far as wanting a AR in .22LR well that's your deal not mine. I wouldn't suggest it but that's me. However, you should be able to build one for way less than $1000, although with the frenzy we are seeing right now. Uppers have gone up(way up) but everything else is still decent in price.

Also, .223 is 5.56(has a taller neck on the case but not much difference) though you'll want to make sure your gun will accept 5.56. Because if you can shoot a 5.56, then it will handle .223. Other ballistic differences are about 10,000psi between the two. Since the 5.56 is a Nato(military) round, the .223 is the civilian version. 5.56's will thump a little harder but that's about it. Bullet grain weights are different to some extent. Usually your 5.56's will handle heavier bullets. Get a reloading book(Nosler, Speer) and it will break down alot of the differences between the two.

As far as brands(manufactures) go, I'd say stick with DPMS, Bushmaster, Armalite type stuff. You can find other stuff out there but some of the build qualities aren't as good. You can also buy just stripped down uppers as well. Lowers, basically the same thing, as for barrels I'm sure you could find a whole line of barrels. Nice thing is if you keep alot of your parts manufacture specific you'll have all the parts numbers and only have one place to go for to get newer or replacement parts.

As for the rest, you'll have to have someone else help you with assembly and testing or sighting. But for Laws on the barrel length. I do believe 16" is as short as you can go. Most barrels run from 16" to 24" but you can get longer ones.

Also if you want a place to start with AR15 parts check out Midway USA (http://www.midwayusa.com) for all your AR parts you'll need. Their prices are good and usually have everything in stock(unless it comes to reloading stuff and Midway is suckin bad on that front).

Hope this points you in the right direction at least.

p.s.
Oh yeah one more other thing, AR15.com (http://www.ar15.com/)

Thanks for the feed back Black Knight. There’s defiantly some good stuff there. So don’t take this the wrong way but this was exactly the kind of post I was hoping to avoid. The tidbits of good info mixed with general advice. Please don’t get upset or anything I appreciate you taking the time to respond at all, I really do.
I was hopping more for just someone to (in person) sit down at a table and computer and spend 1 hour just hammering this out, making a list from stock to muzzle break. What lower, upper, chamber, sights, trigger on and on. Someone who knows what there talking about as opposed to me spending hours and hours and hours and still being lost (which is about where I am). Good example is the .223 or 5.56 thing, I wouldn’t mind buying a book and learning all about it but for right now id rather just spend 5 minuets discussing it then going with one then move to the next item.

I have done research I know a fair bit about whats going on, so don’t take me to be lazy or asking for someone to do it for me. I just want to speed this process up and get it right.
These were all good resources.
AR-15.com
brownells.com
model1sales.com
atf.gov

Like I said up top ill bring the beer and pizza!!

konichd
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Centrious,
I did the same exact thing for JustSomeDude on the board as far as explaining what the differences in parts where. He custom ordered his upper from Model 1 after we talked about what he wanted.
Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up sometime and talk. I've built 10+ AR's over the years so I know a couple things :)

Centrios
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Contact my buddy at www.shadesofgraytactical.com (http://www.shadesofgraytactical.com)

I work with him, he's the company owner. Privately owned one man business, but he can get you anything you need at a good price.

Hey thanks. After I get a parts list together ill price him out. Is he local, there no address on his site. So hes Buddy and your Bear, got it!

fullgrownbear
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Yes he's local, in the metro area. Call the number on the web page directly and you will reach him. Tell him James referred you.