PDA

View Full Version : Senate bill 148 (bicyclists)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
If you guys are concerned about the new bill that will allow bicyclist to impede traffic with even more impunity, you can e-mail Senator Greg Brophy at: greg@gregbrophy.net
or his phone#: (303) 866-6360

or call or fax Gov. Ritter at:
Ph: (303) 866-2471
Fax: (303) 866-2003

Here's what I wrote:
Senator Brophy,

As a current resident of Boulder, and of Colorado for the last 6 years, I am greatly concerned about this new bicyclist bill. I see the current arrogance and attitudes of the typical militant bicyclist, and am appalled. This bill can only make things worse. They are at best an impediment to traffic, at worst a hazard to not only themselves but all motorists. I see them blatantly hugging the white line, though there is plenty of bicycle lane to use farther from traffic. I see them blowing through red lights and stop signs with impunity, just to prevent them from having to actually come to a complete stop which, by law, they as we are required to do. I see them cutting across multiple lanes of traffic with no signal, forcing drivers and motorcyclists to take evasive action. I see pairs and groups of them riding side-by-side, impeding traffic just so they can chat. If there are no bicycle lanes I see them using the middle of the lane, blocking traffic and forcing vehicles to cross double-yellow lines to avoid them. It’s even worse in the canyons where a long line of cars can be stuck behind them for miles. Sometimes, even though there in fact are pedestrian and bicycle paths that we paid for, for their use, they shun them because they don’t want to have to slow down to avoid the joggers. If this bill passes, it will only let them act with more arrogance, entitlement, and impunity. This behavior has to stop.

When I rode bicycles and skateboards all over as a kid in Boulder from ’75 to ’80 when I lived here before, I rode as far off to the side as possible because it was instilled in me by my parents and society that we did not have the right to impede traffic. That we were the vulnerable ones who would be the losers in any vehicle/pedestrian accident, and therefore developed a healthy sense of self-preservation. Sadly, these lessons seem to have been lost on this new generation of bicyclists. Instead, they have instilled in themselves a sense of entitlement allowing this reprehensible and irresponsible behavior. That the roads are theirs, and not ours.

I believe that as the majority of the road funding comes from motor vehicle taxes, and the fact that most people and the goods and services that sustain our society are transported by motorized vehicles, that their needs should take precedence. I would hope that as I’m sure I’m only one of many, if not in fact the majority of Coloradans that feel this way, that this bill will be dropped or defeated. I know if I had the chance to vote on it, I would vote against it. It’s time to take our roads back.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further.

Best regards,

Frank S. Schiavone

FZRguy
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I haven’t exactly seen the roads “taken over by cyclists,” Frank. This bill will provide a 3 foot safe passing zone by law for road cyclists and nothing more. Like you said, cyclists (like motorcyclists) are vulnerable road users and I don’t see this bill changing how cyclists currently use the roadways. Are there arrogant, law-breaking cyclists on the roads...sure are, and those cyclists are not real smart IMO. Are there arrogant motorists and motorcyclists on the roads...yup (you make quite a generalization with cyclists).

With the exception of a couple big charity rides, I’ve given up road cycling b/c there are just too many morons on the roads and I have more fun on my FZR in the canyons. I do use a bicycle to get to work most days (I rode 4,019 miles last year commuting). I ride bike paths about 60 percent on my ride to work in the afternoon, and secondary streets with a bike lane on my return home around midnight. Am I concerned about getting run over by some inattentive, arrogant, drunk (you name it) motorist even while riding in an on street bike lane? Yes I am, and I take every precaution that is feasible to prevent this. So while I agree with you regarding the arrogant, law-breaking cyclists, not all cyclists you see are that way. Some of us are just working stiffs on our way to work.

chad23
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I say if they cant keep pace with traffic get on the sidewalk!!!! they are a safety hazard and nothing more.

FZRguy
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
A lot of folks think sportbikes are a "safety hazard and nothing more." Shall sportbikes be banished to tracks only?

Tipys
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM
No but harleys should be made to ride on the sidewalks

chad23
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM
nope, but that is the great thing about it being my opinion. I can care less what they think about sportbike riders as I can care less about their pedal bikes. Plus I have yet to see a bicycle keep up with the flow of traffic and thats the key to my opinion.

A lot of folks think sportbikes are a "safety hazard and nothing more." Shall sportbikes be banished to tracks only?

BigE
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
First, I haven't read what this new bill is but I'll take John's explanation for now.
Motorcyclists complaining about bicycles are the pot calling the kettle black.
Sportbikers, as well as cruiser yahoos, break just as many, if not more laws each and every ride as what a bicyclist does. And honestly, from what I've experienced from riding two wheeled vehicles (both motorized and not) for over the last 30 years, whoever is doing the whining is basically jealous. When I used to bike commute, I could make it across Ft. Collins faster on my bicycle than driving or riding a moto simply because each time I got a redlight (no, I don't blow thru them) I only had to wait one signal change. There were times driving that I would sit at a light for 3-4 cycles before getting across the intersection.
Moto's piss off cars the same way because you can go where they can't and make your way thru traffic much easier (and this IS possible without being a jackass and cutting people off or splitting lanes).

That said I know that the big group rides that take a whole lane are a black eye for the majority of bicyclists...kinda like those morons on the sportbikes that cut thru traffic doing standup wheelies.

BigE
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
nope, but that is the great thing about it being my opinion. I can care less what they think about sportbike riders as I can care less about their pedal bikes. Plus I have yet to see a bicycle keep up with the flow of traffic and thats the key to my opinion.

I have passed cars coming down from Horsetooth and motorcycles on the way into Masonville on a bicycle so key this :doublefinger::p :lol:

Centrios
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM
First, I haven't read what this new bill is but I'll take John's explanation for now.
Motorcyclists complaining about bicycles are the pot calling the kettle black.
Sportbikers, as well as cruiser yahoos, break just as many, if not more laws each and every ride as what a bicyclist does. And honestly, from what I've experienced from riding two wheeled vehicles (both motorized and not) for over the last 30 years, whoever is doing the whining is basically jealous. When I used to bike commute, I could make it across Ft. Collins faster on my bicycle than driving or riding a moto simply because each time I got a redlight (no, I don't blow thru them) I only had to wait one signal change. There were times driving that I would sit at a light for 3-4 cycles before getting across the intersection.
Moto's piss off cars the same way because you can go where they can't and make your way thru traffic much easier (and this IS possible without being a jackass and cutting people off or splitting lanes).

That said I know that the big group rides that take a whole lane are a black eye for the majority of bicyclists...kinda like those morons on the sportbikes that cut thru traffic doing standup wheelies.

I love it when people say my words for me!!
SweeeT!!!

Bueller
Sat Apr 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM
No but Harleys should be made to ride on the sidewalks

At least a harley motor wont freeze and crack :idea:

And E I was thinking just about the same.

MattTLS
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 06:21 AM
It is easy to over-generalize, but I mostly agree with Frank on this. Being as that we pay taxes through fuel purchases as well as license plate/registration fees in order to operate motorized vehicles on our roadways, there is a difference between motorcyclists and bicyclists. Just as with drivers/riders who aren't asshats on the road, I've got no problem with bicyclists who are mindful of other traffic when they might be impeding those other drivers and who then get out of the way.

JohnEffinK
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 07:47 AM
At least a harley motor wont freeze and crack :idea:

:lol:

John

wankel7
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM
It is easy to over-generalize, but I mostly agree with Frank on this. Being as that we pay taxes through fuel purchases as well as license plate/registration fees in order to operate motorized vehicles on our roadways, there is a difference between motorcyclists and bicyclists. Just as with drivers/riders who aren't asshats on the road, I've got no problem with bicyclists who are mindful of other traffic when they might be impeding those other drivers and who then get out of the way.

True, but did the bicyclist not pay a sales tax for their bike, sales tax on accersories, property tax on their home or through rent payments. Bikes have an equal right to a paved road that a car/motorcycle has.

MikeG
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
True, but did the bicyclist not pay a sales tax for their bike, sales tax on accersories, property tax on their home or through rent payments. Bikes have an equal right to a paved road that a car/motorcycle has.

Is the bicycle required to have license plates, registration and insurance to operate on a public roadway?? Absolutely not

Ride that fucking thing on the sidewalk and bike lane where its supposed to be

modette99
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 04:01 PM

BigE
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Let's see...I have two cars, one motorcycle and a camper that I pay license fees on. Now the camper doesn't get used every day, that should mean that I should be able to get a refund for paying those road taxes that I didn't get to pull my camper on? Right?

Whoever says bicycles belong on a sidewalk definitely doesn't ride one.
Let's go with all motorcyclists MUST ride Harleys. But wait you whine.."that's not fair! Harleys are slow! They don't corner or brake as safely as my sportbike!" HMMMM, sounds like the interaction between bicycles and pedestrians on sidewalks! WEIRD, Huh????

Again, don't get pissed off at a certain user group because of a few idiots in the overall group. There are a hella lot more bicycles sold in this country than motorcycles and alot more political clout with them then the hooligans on these damn sportbikes running amuk, crashing all over and killing themselves and innocent people.

Afterall, that's how sportbikes are viewed by the soccer mom/ city council member/ joe average citzen you just rode a wheelie past/pissed off with your loud pipe/ or alomst sideswiped while lane splitting illegally isn't it?

BigE
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 04:36 PM
SnipAlso I think it is nuts that people would ride bicycles in the canyons. Your going even the seed limit say 35mph or 45mph and you come up to a nice set of corners and as you round one there is a damn bicycle in the roadway and as they are going slow uphill they force you to break hard to avoid hitting them. Hell you might be forced to cut close to them so you can get around and avoid the oncoming vehicle.

I think you should be glad to come upon a vehicle travelling the same direction, with clearance to go around them vs. a car or better yet an elk or deer that could scatter anywhere.

If motorcyclists actually ride within their limits and expect the unexpected then there shouldn't be a problem with the situation you state.

MattTLS
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM

I think in at least most of the state that bicyclists are not allowed to operate said vehicles on the interstate -- why would that be? The huge disparity in speeds easily makes unsafe conditions for all groups involved if bikes could ride the interstate. To me, the same thing would apply on many other roads as well. How to figure out a safe answer for all is what needs to be determined -- we can't cater to just one group.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I have no problem with bicyclists....IF they don't behave like I mentioned. Sadly, they seem to be in the minority. I don't believe there is ANY reason to ride side-by-side as they are nothing but slower than traffic. Wilson/Taft Hill between FTC and LVLD has a nice wide bicycle lane (at least 8' wide), yet I almost always see the bicyclists hug the white line forcing most people to go into the oncoming lane. The whine about "debris".....waaah. We used to ride our Schwinns over EVERYTHING far off the side of the road and not cry about it. And, if there are 2 or more, they hang out into the car lane, further obstructing traffic. I saw a couple idiots doing that when I was bringing a trailer to Boulder last weekend. I had traffic coming and this guy was huggin the white line on my side. I wasn't going to risk a collision so I just held my line. Probably had maybe a foot between the wheels and the guy, but he had plenty of room and plenty of time to move away from the line and didn't.

There are minimum speed limits for a reason, and if they can't keep up with traffic in the mountains are an impediment, ban 'em. Hey, we get tickets for going TOO fast, why don't they get them for going too slow?

MikeG
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I think in at least most of the state that bicyclists are not allowed to operate said vehicles on the interstate -- why would that be? The huge disparity in speeds easily makes unsafe conditions for all groups involved if bikes could ride the interstate. To me, the same thing would apply on many other roads as well. How to figure out a safe answer for all is what needs to be determined -- we can't cater to just one group.

+1

Say for example, since I paid sales tax on my skateboard, that "entitles" me to ride it down Santa Fe. Or further, I just bought a kick ass pair of heelies and since I paid sales tax on them, I could just coast along the middle of broadway.

Paying sales tax, homeowners tax etc. does not "entitle" anybody to shit. And along with that driving is a privilege, not a right. The whole bicyclist movement of share the road is misdirected. Instead it should be watch out for me. Share the road should be a slogan backed by motorcyclists.

I do agree that motorists should be cautious toward bicyclists, but along with this the bicyclists should have an implied responsibility not to impede traffic unless in an instance where there is no other option.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 06:02 PM
If I remember correctly, sales taxes aren't much of the revenue collected for roads, it's vehicle registration fees etc., which cyclists don't pay on their bikes.

Regardless, the real issue is still the fact that they seriously impede traffice flow for the majority of the road users (motorized).

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I see the problem of elitist cyclists in and around hippy college towns and no where else. My $0.02

MetaLord 9
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM
:imwithstupid:

Bicyclists who act appropriately are largely ok, but here's the way it should be: if you want to act like a car (or street legal motorized vehicle), receive the same rights and considerations on the road as a car, and receive the same privileges as a car, then you need to act like a car. If you're going to blow through traffic lights, stop signs, and down roads, that's fine, but you've gotta pay your reg fees, get insurance (in case you CAUSE an accident), wait in line at traffic lights, stay off the sidewalks, and use turn signals like a car. If you want to skip ahead of the line of traffic & go all the way up to the light, ride on sidewalks, and disobey traffic signals and otherwise act like a pedstrian, then you're gonna get treated like a pedestrian. It's illegal to run over somone crossing the street and you can bet your ass if I was walking up the middle of Deer Creek canyon or down the middle of santa fe you can you bet your ass that I'd be arested. However, I seen cyclists doing this exact thing. Today we countered two cyclists riding side by side, taking up the middle of the road and forcing our car to stop so that they could get by without us hitting them. If four motorcycles were riding next to each other on a canyon road, taking up the entire lane or maybe two of a two lane road, then they'd be a rolling roadblock and be ticketed. I'm not against cyclists and the majority of them are completely fine. However, comparing them to motorcycles isn't accuate since motorcycles are requried to follow the same rules as cars and only do things cars can't when they're breaking traffic laws. When bicyclists do these things then they're fully allowed because they're on bicycles and not motorized vehicles and they're NOT the same thing.

Again, if you wanna act like a car, you've gotta follow the rules like a car. If you don't wanna follow those rules, then get the hell off the road.

asp_125
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Me me me me me.. .the roads belong to me. The rest of you go home. :D

Tipys
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I agree with what Chris is said, they always talk about sharing the road.

BigE
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Since this pretty much nails what everyone is complaining about ....
Me me me me me.. .the roads belong to me. The rest of you go home. :D

I think someone can post the "arguing on the internet is like...." pics now.

:321: :doublefinger:

Can't we all just get along??????? :banghead: :lol: :D

wankel7
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Is the bicycle required to have license plates, registration and insurance to operate on a public roadway?? Absolutely not

Ride that fucking thing on the sidewalk and bike lane where its supposed to be

Wow, that's too bad you feel that way. I hope you don't take it out on cyclists when you see them on the road. Your lack of sympathy and inability to see the cyclist's point of view makes me think you do. But hopefully I am wrong.

There are a lot of cyclists that do break traffic laws, ride stupid, ride several abreast, and generally feel some amazing ammount of misdirected entitlement.

It's too bad they are out there. Because they are the reason people yell at me, call me names, and get a little to close to me when they pass to voice their point of view with their weapon (car). I don't do what all cyclists do and it sucks having to to pick up their tab.

MikeG
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Let me get this straight, I have the inability to see the cyclist's point of view when I watch a cyclist riding in the right hand lane of Wadsworth Blvd at night when there is a 8 foot wide sidewalk built specifically for that. In that example, I see this particular cyclist's POV clearly. I understand one does not represent all however.
And for the record, to suggest I would do something malicious to a cyclist on the road is absurd. Additionally, many in the Northern central group had some close calls last summer on Hwy 7 where a single cyclist could have taken out our group of 15+ motorcycles. Hence the lack of sympathy.

wankel7
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Let me get this straight, I have the inability to see the cyclist's point of view when I watch a cyclist riding in the right hand lane of Wadsworth Blvd at night when there is a 8 foot wide sidewalk built specifically for that. In that example, I see this particular cyclist's POV clearly. I understand one does not represent all however.
And for the record, to suggest I would do something malicious to a cyclist on the road is absurd. Additionally, many in the Northern central group had some close calls last summer on Hwy 7 where a single cyclist could have taken out our group of 15+ motorcycles. Hence the lack of sympathy.

I can understand that example of riding at night on Wadsworth. That is really a bad place to be and the cyclist should be on the sidewalk. Unless, they had all the lights they should have and reflectors for night riding. But for self preservation the cyclist might enjoy the sidewalk :P

What was the biker doing that endangered the motorcycles?

The Black Knight
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
If I had to pick a side, it'd have to be on the side that wants more law and rule following from the bicyclist. Myself I don't have a problem with them being on the road. However, I'm going to have to agree, when you impede traffic because you are either A) to slow, or B) just a road hog. Then it becomes a problem.

I've got no real problem with bikes downtown, because speed limit is 25MPH most cyclists can achieve that speed without much fanfare. Yet when I see cyclist on Academy(sections of 40MPH+) is when I start to get agitated. And I wouldn't have a problem with them being on Academy or Powers if they would just keep to the side of the road.

It's when they feel entitled to ride in a lane of traffic that's 40MPH+ that gets me. Yeah I get that they can be on the road and if I'm on my motorcycle I just pass them without much thought. Yet, in my personal truck or better yet my work truck where I'm hauling sometimes 13000lbs in a truck/trailer combo and I have to slow down on a hill because I'm in the right lane to begin with(can't keep up with the full steam of traffic towing, at least on hills) and traffic is going around, so I can't get over. Then then what do you know, I've got a cyclist in my lane, doing all of 15mph up the hill.

That's where it impedes and hurts the motorist in traffic that can actually do the limit and not be hampered by hills and what not. Because while towing, I can't get over to just cut other motorist off(who are going faster in the fast lane), just to afford a bicyclist the luxury of going around them because they are going slow.

Which brings me to my next point. Use the trail(s) system that your city offers. Colorado Springs has over 130 miles(yes miles) of trails that Parks and Rec have put in for cyclist, pedestrians and even equestrians to travel on. Leave the business of being on public streets to vehicles that can keep pace. I know that there will be times when you need to be on public roads and that's fine(in order to get to your destination). But for the majority of the time, I think bicyclist need to use trail systems and so forth. It's safer for both cyclists and motorists alike.

If there are bike lanes on city streets, excellent!! I'm all for those. Just use them accordingly. I've never understood why folks ride out of the bike lanes. Kind of like when someone walks in the street instead of up on the sidewalk?? Is it just because you can?? I don't get it.

I'm not piling on cyclist. I mountain bike myself but only in designated mountain biking areas, or on city trails. I don't/won't ride in traffic just because I don't want to be "that guy" that is in traffic wrecking everyone's day. Plus I don't like it for safety reasons.

Lastly, I will have to stand on the side of others here when they mention Registration fees. Bikes don't have to pay to ride on streets. However, everyone else who does have a motor vehicle of any kind does. And just because you pay sales tax doesn't mean you're paying for squat.

Just to clue you in to where your money goes as far as sales tax. In Colorado Springs(for example), two cents of every "Tax Dollar" only goes into the General City fund and that gets split up among, Streets Dept., Parks & Rec, Regional, Neighborhood re-hab, zoning dept, everyone that works at the CAB(City Admin). So sales tax doesn't go as far as everyone thinks. http://www.springsgov.com/Page.asp?NavID=1153

So while I get that you pay sales tax. The rest of us(motorist) get jammed with, yearly registration fees for one or several vehicles, insurance premiums, not to mention fees and fines for tickets and traffic violations. I've yet to see a bicyclist get pulled over by a cop for blowing a red light or ripping through a school zone(yes I've seen bicyclist go faster than cars through a school zone).

Fact is, bicyclist get away with murder compared to the rest of the law abiding motorist. Blowing stop lights, lane splitting park cars in traffic just to be at the front(you know how pissed off everyone would be, if everyone in their cars and trucks did this??), failing to use hand signals for turns, blowing a red light to turn into traffic(had this happen in front of me many times), then to top things off, bicyclist get to park their bikes anywhere. Next to a tree, in a bike rack or just lay it down on the sidewalk. Motorist have to use parking spots(and in downtown you have to pay to park, public or private).

It's not that people don't respect you bicyclist. It's just that people treat you with the same respect that is shown to them. When bikes show zero respect towards traffic laws, it tends to grind of everyone's nerves. The rest of us(motorist) would just like for bikes to respect the same laws that we do. Just because you're on a bike and having to face a tough long hill, doesn't give you the right to blow the light just to keep some momentum. Stop at the bottom like the rest of us and if you have a hard time getting up the hill, well that's part of riding that bike. But I know I would show a ton more respect to the guy who stops at the hill, then the dude who just blew the red light to get a run at it...

p.s.
I also feel that bikes should have to have the same equipment that cars/trucks/motorcycles do. Lights, horn, signals, tail/stoplight. I think it's only fair that for the rest of the motorist to have pay to keep their vehicles in good operating condition that bicyclist follow the same rule of thumb. I also think that if you ride at night, it should be a mandatory and enforced law, that the bicyclist have a orange and reflective safety vest on. I don't know how many bikes I've come across at night that are out in the middle of the nowhere peddling away in the dark. That's just unsafe for everyone.

ZX9Rider
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Greg Brophy as wonderful as he is for a politician because he was born on this planet. He is a bicyclist and drives a hybrid too. He might understand why they want to take up more of the road and might let them have it.?

MikeG
Sun Apr 19th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I can understand that example of riding at night on Wadsworth. That is really a bad place to be and the cyclist should be on the sidewalk. Unless, they had all the lights they should have and reflectors for night riding. But for self preservation the cyclist might enjoy the sidewalk :P

What was the biker doing that endangered the motorcycles?

It wasn't just one individual it was groups riding 4 abreast on the shoulder weaving over the line and some completely over it. We were legally riding staggered, but with oncoming traffic on one side and the cyclists who could care less what was coming from behind it made for a dangerous situation for many.

FZRguy
Mon Apr 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Between this thread and the one about six months ago, we’ve pretty much :horse: this subject.

BK, scooters under a certain CC are a motorized vehicle that does not pay reg fees. And many of your points are actually advantages of riding a bicycle for transpo. It also happens to be a fun way to get to work and stay in shape…at least for me (btw, practically all the AMA pros use road cycling for training). I certainly agree with the points about riding predictably, hand signals, lights, using bike paths, etc.

The front range canyons are crawling with road cyclists on the warm weekends. Just the way it is and another reason I ride my sportbike in the canyons on weekdays. Climbing and riding in groups is fundamental training for competitive cyclists, and they can’t get that training on a bike path. There are also many rec riders in the canyons training for rides like Ride the Rockies, Triple Bypass, Bike MS, etc. on the weekends.

So I have no answers for you guys. I just know what works for me.

FZRguy
Mon Apr 20th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I tried to find the article in Sport Rider about the pros and cycling but could not. Here’s another with names like Bostrom, Duhamel, Spies, Mladin…

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/fly.aspx?layout=content&taxid=96&cid=125 (http://www.roadbikeaction.com/fly.aspx?layout=content&taxid=96&cid=125)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Well, unfortunately it looks like this idiotic bill will get passed. It went thru both the senate and house, and is sitting on Ritter's desk, and he's notoriously pro-bicycle. Bummer. Supposedly they're not supposed to ride side-by-side if it impedes traffic, but they already do, so expect it to get worse.....:banghead::scream1:

MetaLord 9
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Well why don't we just classify my motorcycle as a "motorized bicycle" and make those asshats stay 3 feet away from me? While we're at it, why don't we add all other vehicles to the list? that way I can wait for the stoplight on the side of the lane & keep cyclists from infringing on my 3 foot bubble & force 'em onto the sidewalk...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Well why don't we just classify my motorcycle as a "motorized bicycle" and make those asshats stay 3 feet away from me? While we're at it, why don't we add all other vehicles to the list? that way I can wait for the stoplight on the side of the lane & keep cyclists from infringing on my 3 foot bubble & force 'em onto the sidewalk...
Hey, then we'd also be able to blow stop signs/lights at will too!:)

Nick_Ninja
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
It's just like Cops Who Ride / Harley Riders / College Squid Kids

They all project negative visual images --- justified or not.

I know that all bicyclists are NOT road hogging dicks. I can say that because I rode my bicycle to work and didn't impede any cagers :D

FZRguy
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Yup, it passed...here's what it means.

PASSING
Minimum three feet passing distance when overtaking a single cyclist when clear and safe. If there is oncoming traffic, the motorist should wait until it is safe to pass.

LANE POSITION
Cyclists are to ride as far right as is safe. On one-way roads with more than one lane, cyclists may ride on the right or far left as is safe.

MORE THAN ONE RIDER
The bill clarifies that cyclists may pass one another or ride side-by-side if they are not impeding the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.

ANTI-HARASSMENT
Language in the bill makes throwing an object towards a cyclist a class 2 misdemeanor and driving towards a cyclist in a dangerous manner a careless driving offense.

The Black Knight
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM
BK, scooters under a certain CC are a motorized vehicle that does not pay reg fees. And many of your points are actually advantages of riding a bicycle for transpo. It also happens to be a fun way to get to work and stay in shape…at least for me (btw, practically all the AMA pros use road cycling for training). I certainly agree with the points about riding predictably, hand signals, lights, using bike paths, etc.

The front range canyons are crawling with road cyclists on the warm weekends. Just the way it is and another reason I ride my sportbike in the canyons on weekdays. Climbing and riding in groups is fundamental training for competitive cyclists, and they can’t get that training on a bike path. There are also many rec riders in the canyons training for rides like Ride the Rockies, Triple Bypass, Bike MS, etc. on the weekends.

So I have no answers for you guys. I just know what works for me.
Dude, I'm not saying riding a bike is a bad thing. I'm all for bicyclist to ride and do what they need to do. Only point I was trying to make was that they get in the way sometimes and feel they are entitled to as much of the road as everyone else(when they don't even pay as much as everyone else does for the road).

And yes, I'm very against 49cc or less scooters being out in traffic as well. Again if it's downtown that's not really a big deal. Speed Limit is 25MPH and most of these little scooters can easily achieve that speed without impeding traffic.

Now, I really get torqued when I see one on Academy or Powers(both roads have sections with 50MPH+, Powers almost the whole stretch). Yeah they do ride in the right hand lane. But can barely manage 30 or 35MPH. On hills, forget about it.

And when you're pulling alot of weight, it really screws the guy in the truck and trailer because for one, you're riding in the lane you're supposed to be in(the slow lane for trucks towing), and second now you can't merge over to go around because the rest of traffic is already ripping by you, so there is no chance of getting over.

So now, you've come up on one in the slow lane going up a hill and you're really jammed up now. Smaller cc scooters and bicyclist fall into this category. They don't belong on roads where there are speeds they can't achieve. Why because they are "impeding traffic" and should be issued a citation from LEO's for it. I know the rest of us would get the same ticket if we were severely impeding traffic.

Also, yeah I get the fact that road biking is a great way to stay in shape and know alot of our AMA racers use it in the off/on seasons to continue to stay in shape. So I'm not bagging on cycling because of what it is, just to make that clear.

I don't think anyone else is either. The main pet peeve is the traffic jam that gets caused by cyclist who feel they are entitled to a lane of traffic no matter what havoc it causes behind them. That's what most are irritated about.

And like I said before, I think cyclists should use and belong on bike trails. All cities have them(maybe not as widespread as others). If the Springs has over 130 miles of bike trails and by 2050 will have enough trails all over the city, that bikes won't ever need to be on streets accept to go the place they are going. Is a great direction to go in and I think trails would get built quicker if more cyclist would support and use them.

To be honest, I've biked our trail system here in the Springs and can tell you, you get around alot faster than if you were to use surface roads with stoplights(meaning if you actually obey the law like the rest of the motorist, and stop at lights). With all of the tunnels, bridges and access points on the trails that allow you to by-pass stoplights, you can make great time around the city. Plus, it's just way SAFER.

Yup, it passed...here's what it means.

PASSING
Minimum three feet passing distance when overtaking a single cyclist when clear and safe. If there is oncoming traffic, the motorist should wait until it is safe to pass.

LANE POSITION
Cyclists are to ride as far right as is safe. On one-way roads with more than one lane, cyclists may ride on the right or far left as is safe.

MORE THAN ONE RIDER
The bill clarifies that cyclists may pass one another or ride side-by-side if they are not impeding the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.

ANTI-HARASSMENT
Language in the bill makes throwing an object towards a cyclist a class 2 misdemeanor and driving towards a cyclist in a dangerous manner a careless driving offense.
O.k. here's my problem with this. Who considers it a "dangerous manner"? The cyclist or Law Enforcement?? Because you might come up on some bent out of shape road hogging cyclist that will get their panties in a bunch no matter how wide of birth you give them when you pass them. Then they take down your plate, call you in and you may bet a citation for Careless Driving?? That's total BS if the cyclist get to call the shots.

Because I know how it will play out. You'll get that one guy that's irritated by motor vehicles in general and will call everyone in. And I think that something as getting slapped with a "Careless Driving" offense is something very serious and not to be taken lightly.

I think that last part will give Cyclist way to much power in determining who's to blame for a careless driving. Because it's point of view. While I get that waiting to pass because of on-coming traffic is a must, doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to go all the way in the other lane when I pass a cyclist either. I'll give them the room they need but don't expect me to go all the way over. And this is where I think the part of the Bill will get abused if left in the hands of cyclist.

FZRguy
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I assume that would have to be witnessed by a LEO for a motorist to be ticketed.

FZRguy
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Plus 1 on bike paths. There are over 300 miles of paths in the metro area that will take you just about anywhere with minimal on street riding. Plus they take you places you would never go in a car or motorcycle...from the hood to country clubs to state parks...and no traffic to worry about!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Well, that sucks. Ritter is an idiot, same as the senate and house for passing this. I had to pass people on the way home this morning who were taking up a full lane so they could chat, clearly impeding flow as I was forced to go by them. Niiiice....

I think you'll see more harassment of cyclists as people will get quickly fed up with the entitlement attitude they have getting worse.:banghead::scream1: