PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to the 4 corners? - No you didn't

Devaclis
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 07:26 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5imsT95yECcspRJoIFPiNgeK6duagD97MDSSG5

EvilBobFish
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 07:51 AM
Haha. Nice. Think of how many family vacations past, present, and future are now ruined.

"look kids! random point of no interest!"

salsashark
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 08:06 AM
mehh... with better measurement, you get better results. This isn't the first screw up... probably wont be the last by the USGS.

My personal favorite is on the steps of the Capital building. One one step, there's an engraving marking "one mile above sea level". But later, it was discovered that the actual one mile high was a bit higher... so they put a small bronze marker a couple of steps up...

http://www.colorado.gov/dpa/doit/archives/cap/sealvl1.gif

dallas
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 08:11 AM
Good enough for government work.............

Now the Four Corners won't be on the Res? Now I can go to a point of interest and not be pressured into buying a hand woven blanket or feel the ill-effects of an Indian Taco?

We were talking about this in the office yesterday. I wonder if they will build a new monument deal and lable it "The 'Real' Four Corners"?

firefghtr
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 08:13 AM
that is so crazy, i saw that last night and was all disapointed. " you mean to tell me that super long ass drive to nowhere was for nothing" lol

Devaclis
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 08:17 AM
I work with GIS peeps all day long. It is mind bottleing the amount of data they have to work with. some thing need 1005 accuracy, some only need estimating.

mtnairlover
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 08:22 AM
... It is mind bottleing the amount of data ...

Someone's got something else on the brain...:drink:

...maybe those GIS peeps need to stop bottling up all the data and pop the cork instead...

I think people will still go to the old 4-corners if anything to poke fun at the inaccuracy of that point and poke fun at all the people and all the photos where people thought they were touching all 4 states. All the photos from now on will just be farcical.

Devaclis
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 08:28 AM
mmm on a hot day I LOVE a good shade tree and a farcical!!!

mtnairlover
Tue Apr 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM
mmm on a hot day I LOVE a good shade tree and a farcical!!!

:spit:

...damn...wait...shoot, no come-back. I bow to your brialliance...:bow: