PDA

View Full Version : Tips for selling a bike

YZFRydn
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have some people coming to look at my bike this week. I've never sold a street bike but I am assuming the person will want to ride it around the block or something. There are some obvious things to look for to see if they're going to try and run with it, but I was wondering if anyone knows the best approach to take with it.

I'll check for a class M endorsement on their license, I won't do it at my house, I'll write down their name and address and DOB and license #, anything else?

2009RavenR1
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah, a check for the amount you want for it.

McVaaahhh
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
No way in hell I would let anybody ride my bike without cash in hand first.

Other than that, get collateral. Car keys of whatever ride he shows up in, drivers license, etc.

I would also make him sign a "you break it you bought it" test ride agreement.

XJ600s
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Don't get a check, cash only because a check can bounce.

If they want to ride it and don't have a helmet, there's a good chance they are a new rider or squid. then have them sign a waiver stating they'll pay for it if them lay it down in any way. PLUS get a witness to sign it, and sign it yourself.

TurboGizzmo
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
When i bought my first bike, the guy wanted me to ride it, I said no way because I hadnt even taken the class yet....the bike looked great, started and i had the guy ride it around for me :) Paid cash.....and now i miss it :(

~Barn~
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Where are you located Mike? I want to come test steal, er... test crash, er... test ride your bike.

Just around the block.

salsashark
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Like others have said

1. No test rides w/o cash in hand
2. If they don't have a helmet with them, not test rides at all...

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
The guy I bought my bike from let me give her the 'ol test ride without any collateral, surprisingly. Granted, I showed up with a buddy of mine who rode while I caged it. Seller was a completely stand up guy though. I'm making payments to him (interest free), and he flat out told me, "Well if something comes up and you'll be late on a payment or something, just let me know". I would protect this guy in the showers, no doubt.

With that said, cash in hand and/or a written contract signed on the spot for test rides.

If you don't know what CYA means, learn it before you have people looking at your girl :D

YZFRydn
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Where are you located Mike? I want to come test steal, er... test crash, er... test ride your bike.

Just around the block.

Lol

At this point I'll be noting that the person needs to bring:

Class M Endorsement
Proof of Insurance for their vehicle
They'll be signing a waiver saying if they crash it they buy it
I'll be bringing along two buddies
Cash Deposit
I was also told that it might be a good idea to have a friend follow the person on their bike? Comments?

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
As far as the last bullet point, as the seller, you have every right to CYA and you shouldn't feel akward about doing so. If the guy has a problem with it, tell him to take a walk.

Listing your requirements(Endorsement, Waiver/cash in hand(!), leave the buddy ride-along to that day, dunno about proof of ins on current vehicle) in your advertisement to sell would also save a lot of wasted time on the buyer's end. Just shows that you care about who gets your bike and that you probably took really good care of it.

sugarrey
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
YUP...I had a past co-worker who told me a story. A dude took the bike for a test ride, left his kid, wife and van there....And as soon as the bike was out of sight the lady in the van took off...

Check for scum-baggish and douche baggery activity.

For me:

I would want their license, keys to their vehicle and their cash in your hand if they want a test ride your bike....Your bike, you make the rules. If not, test ride it for them in front of them. Sounds a little extreme but these are extreme times!!!! Fuck it, make em work for it!

You can lose big in alot of ways, make sure your covered!

TurboGizzmo
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Also when I sold my bike, they paid half to hold it and another half to come get it, BUT I delivered it because they didnt have anyone with a M endorsement and I didnt want to see my bike dumped on the side of the road on the way to the bank.....

rforsythe
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I got something a little different when I bought my V-Strom, in that I gave the guy a check and took the bike, but he held the title until the check cleared since I was selling another bike later that afternoon to fund the new purchase. I also had to give him a LOT of proof that I was a real person, where I lived, who I was (like character references), etc but he was at least reasonably assured that I was a legitimate person. Still a whole mess of CYA going on (and I'm not sure I'd even be that trusting unless I knew the guy personally) but a little different than the "cash in hand" method. FWIW I did also test ride the bike, of course with the "you crash it you bought it" clause though I already knew I wanted it unless something bad appeared on the test ride.

Wyck
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
When I bought my first bike I had cash in hand and had my ex test ride it and then ride it home for me since I was still just off the msf course. The seller held on to the cash and his buddy sat in the parking lot in his car until the deal was finalized and all paperwork was completed. When I sold it I required same cash in hand etc. The guy that bought it ended up leaving his DL with me instead of the cash which was ok since he left his girl behind and I knew I could take her. And I had my ex with me to insure my own safety during the transaction. All was smooth :)

I've had a little bit more trouble getting a test ride from the private seller of a bike I looked at this time around since I am financing through the bank and not cash in hand. She let me sit on it and fire it up but not ride it. She sounded like she might have considered letting me ride it down the street but it was dark and I didn't want to push it just in case something happened. I don't blame her I wouldn't have let me ride it if the roles were reversed.

Mental
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
When you adverstise on craigslist, your flake factor goes up 98%. If you have any kind of gut reaction, don't let em near it. I would advertise "No test rides without cash in hand" to keep some of the flakey peaple away. If someone shows up and they seem straight, make an exception.

But on that, I would keep almost no gas in it, so if it does disapear, you can start at the gas stations. Or at least you would have security camera proof when they went to court.

Tipys
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
I say cash in hand for test rides not keys tto there car. I had someone call me last year to keep an eye out for a bike cause the guy that took it gave him his truck keys to hold on to and guess what the truck was stolenand not really his.

And wft does CYA mean

McVaaahhh
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
CYA = Cover Your Ass

PROFLYER
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
CASH CASH CASH CASH.

Make him give you the cash, THEN go ride it. Count the cash too, I had some douche bag come try to buy my ducati with 1500 less then I was asking hoping to haggle after the fact. If you're asking 6k, get 6k cash in hand then let him do whatever he wants, you've got the cash. If he wrecks it, he owns it. Easy.

asp_125
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
When I bought my Ducati from someone on this board it was easier, since we all kind of know who's who, less chance of someone being a scam. He held on to the title while my check cleared, and then snail mailed the title so I could get the bike registered.

When I sold it the buyer came with cash, so it was even easier.

TFOGGuys
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
I've always done "test rides" as a presale deal. Basically, they can place the cash in full in my hand, and they have 30 minutes to undo the deal, as long as the bike is returned in exactly the same condition it left in. No cash, no test ride. I also have a bill of sale I use which includes a release of claims, releasing me from any and all liability related to the motorcycle from the point that the buyer takes possession of it.

JohnEffinK
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
OK, no change from anyone else.

Back in 1994 I was selling my 1991 Kawi Ninja 750r. Dude who was interested did not know how to ride so he brought his friend who could. Yeah, you see where this is going.

He rounded the second corner in my apt complex not a mere 50 yards away and put it down. Broke clutch lever, shift lever and left side peg.

I looked at dude who was interested and he paid me my full asking price without me saying a word. Friend got up and said he did not know the front brakes work so well......

Could have been an interesting day for me.

John

sprtbkbabe
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Seriously? You trust strangers enough for a test ride on your bike?

Sheeeet... I don't even trust the Momma with two babies on her hips walking across Broadway in front of me when I'm on the scooter. That bitch has a plan... I know it! LOL

Good luck with that!

seriously? :slap:

JohnEffinK
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
Shit, this was back in 1994......times were a little different. Folks sort of cared.

If that was not directed at me, carry on.

John

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
As per my story of my bike purchase, I pretty much rode it without much more than talking to him on the phone and talking to him for 5 minutes at his house.

d3spair
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Point is if somebody comes with cash in hand, they're serious and a test ride isn't a big deal. Both of mine I've sold I've had cash in hand, even though the R1 was a lot less cash in my hand than I would've liked :P

MetaLord 9
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
I've always done "test rides" as a presale deal. Basically, they can place the cash in full in my hand, and they have 30 minutes to undo the deal, as long as the bike is returned in exactly the same condition it left in. No cash, no test ride. I also have a bill of sale I use which includes a release of claims, releasing me from any and all liability related to the motorcycle from the point that the buyer takes possession of it.
Hey Jim, if you have a generic bill of sale or know where one could be obtained that might include the liability issue, the you break it-you bought it, and the 30 mins on the bike or the cash is mine clause, could you post it up on the board? I'm not looking to sell mine, but Girlie's thought about put'n hers up in the future and I'm sure it'd be a really good resource for others on the board. If you've got it & can post it, I'm sure Ralph or one of the mods can sticky it for future reference

puckstr
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
No test rides...at all

You want it?
then buy it and ride the shit out of it.

TFOGGuys
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hey Jim, if you have a generic bill of sale or know where one could be obtained that might include the liability issue, the you break it-you bought it, and the 30 mins on the bike or the cash is mine clause, could you post it up on the board? I'm not looking to sell mine, but Girlie's thought about put'n hers up in the future and I'm sure it'd be a really good resource for others on the board. If you've got it & can post it, I'm sure Ralph or one of the mods can sticky it for future reference

Here you go, Chris. In M$ Word format, so it can be modified as you wish.12138

Wyck
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I visited two other private sellers after my first experience and they both offered to let me test ride without me even asking and while knowing I was financing so no cash in hand. Took the first one up on it no need on the second since I already rode the first one and they were the same exact bike. :)

sag
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:03 PM
no test rides unless they are on the back. what if someone else crashed into them?

YZFRydn
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Well, I have had three people come look at the bike and no one has asked to ride the bike but all have offered cash. Apparently if you're selling a bike the people I have dealt with have the cash just burning in their pocket.