PDA

View Full Version : This about sums it up, for me

Devaclis
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
I heard of this lunatic from Montana who posted a great small story about his love for riding on the ADV forums. I asked him if I could share it with you......

Here is is:

"When I was younger (more than a bit younger) I was enjoying a ride through a field of tall grass and wild flowers, standing on the pegs and lost in a world of the most wonderful smells when I encountered a very large hole. The bike stopped abruptly (I didn't) I found myself laying on my back looking up at this amazing blue sky wondering what had just happened. Then it hit me like a x4 to the head (pain) like I'd never experienced before. I had broken both wrists. I couldn't pick up my bike to ride home (I hated leaving it there on its side) so I walked the 2 miles. Several weeks later with casts on both arms (from elbows to knuckles) I felt this unrelenting desire to ride. I went to the garage thinking that sitting on my bike would help (it didn't) I couldn't grip the bars because of the casts. That is when my under-developed brain flashed (duct tape). So I'm standing in the garage taping my left hand to the bars when my mom appeared. She was not happy, and I couldn't run away 'cause I'm duct taped to the handle bars (I took a good beating) for that, but I know the feeling of just wanting to ride.

That was the moment I realized that I was hooked, that most of my time and most of my money would go to buying and riding motorcycles. I know how you feel to be without (I feel your pain)."

/choked up

Nick_Ninja
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
IREL8

rapparee
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Glad this cast comes off tomorrow, the duct tape was sounding like a good idea for a moment.

willb003
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
HAHAHA

XJ600s
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Reminds me of a friend who a couple years ago at Collegiate Cycling Nationals who crashed as a result of an idiot in front of him. He ended up breaking his elbow severely.

When he got the cast, he asked them to mold it to the angle that he would be in on his aerobars on his time trial bike. They did it, and the next day, he took podium after being duct taped to his handlebars for the individual time trial. It was hilarious taping him to the bars on the starting line. :D

derekm
Tue Jun 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM
awesome!

Autom8ed
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:56 AM
I had both hands in a cast once.. wasn't thinking about riding at the time as much as trying to figure out how to wipe my own arse.