PDA

View Full Version : Honda 954 Rear Fender (take off?)

Neb954
Tue Jul 1st, 2003, 05:48 PM
I am wondering if anyone has a 'write up' on removing the rear fender of a honda 954. I have looked at it pretty close and from what I see there are just the 2 nuts holding it on via the turn signal bolts. I am assuming if I remove these two nuts and then cut the wires for the turn signals the remaining portion will come off.

I am new to the board and I have done a search for this but wasn't able to locate anything. I would just like to make sure what I listed above will work BEFORE I cut the wires on the turn signals to remove the liscense plate holder/fender.

Thanks in advance
Rob

mikesf4i
Tue Jul 1st, 2003, 09:20 PM
your turn signals should unplug. plz dont cut the wires.

BlueDevil
Wed Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:13 AM
U R right but U will not have to cut any wires. There are little clips that just unhook and they come right off.

The rest of the fender comes right off when those screws are taken off under your seat. Shouldnt take longer than 20 mins.

Neb954
Wed Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:12 AM
I will have to take another look at this. When I was looking I didn't see any clips to unplug the turn signals, however I also didn't take anything apart (inside) under the seat in the back either.

Neb954
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Well since I was not sure where to 'unplug' the wires as described above and I didn't want to take apart the ENTIRE frickin thing this is what I did:

Ok I looked at removing the rear fender the other day and figured it out. All I want to do is remove the BLACK part on the rear.
This is what I needed to do:
1. Unscrew the license plate light. Remove the bulb, on the inside of this the item the light sit's in can be pushed out.
((sorry for this is one step I don't remember exactly what I did, however I didn't need to cut anything))
2. Remove the turn signal covers. 1 screw for left and right turn signals.
3. Remove light bulb. (for both turn signals)
4. Remove 3 screws holding the 'housing' (silver) portion of the turn signal in.
5. On the silver (reflective) 'housing' the pull this out and you will notice there are two wires attached to it. The wire going to the center can be pushed out and a small black item (size of a button) will come out. The black part can be removed from the wire and the wire pulled through the housing. (the silver portion).
6. This is where I ended up cutting the green wire that was 'tacked' on. (leave room to resodder/splice in)
Once this is done on both sides you are ready to use a 10mm wrench/socket to take off 3 nuts.

7. There will be two nuts attaching the turn signals underneath the fender. (remove these)
8. Inside the rear cowl area there is another 10mm nut which is actually fixed to the reflector. (reflector acts like a bolt)

After the bolts are removed I needed to pull the wires through the turn signal housing. Since one of the wires WAS NOT cut there is a rubber grommet which will probably prevent the wire from being be pulled through. I ended up cutting one side of the rubber grommet to remove the (I believe orange) wire. Once this is done the wires can be thread through the hole that is in the fender. (next to the hole where the nut was)

After this is done the turn signal is now gone/disconnected. Once this is done for both turn signals and the 3 nuts removed and the wires pulled through the hole in the fender (including that little metal thing) the fender should be able to come off.

After this is done I reused the 'stock' turn signals however I would possibly consider after markets for they might fit better and be tighter. The reason I say this is I needed to fabricate a spacer which sat between the red portion and the turn signal. Basically since the fender was gone there was a gap there and the entire thing was 'flimsy' without it. I won't lie this was a pain in the A$$. It probably would have been easier to 'cut' the portion I needed out of the old fender but I didn't want to do that. However you decide to do this it is your call.

After doing this I added a piece of wire to the green one just to make it easier to put together. I threaded the wires back through the turn signal housing. I DID NOT use the rubber grommet again I just left it out. May or May not be wise if you plan on riding in wet conditions.

Then once this is all done just reverse the order putting things back together. Hopefully this will help anyone who would like to do this. One problem I missed earlier when looking at this was that darn 10mm nut INSIDE the cowl.

Its done and I just drilled a hole in the middle of the liscense platte and used the reflector bolt. (should use a different one later on)