PDA

View Full Version : 98 Motorcyle Fatalities Last Year

FZRguy
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
DENVER -- Nearly 100 motorcycle riders and passengers died on Colorado state highways last year, a record. The state Department of Transportation said Thursday the 98 motorcycle accidents accounted for 18 percent of Colorado traffic deaths in 2008, even though motorcycles made up only 3 percent of all registered vehicles. The department said nearly 70 percent of the people killed on motorcycles weren't wearing helmets or were wearing them incorrectly.

CDOT said motorcyclists were found to be at fault in 80 percent of the fatal crashes, and 39 percent of the riders killed didn't have a motorcycle endorsement on their license or had no license at all. The previous record for motorcycle fatalities was 90, set in 2007.

MikeG
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 12:00 AM
what is the source of that article?

wankel7
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Wow, 70% were not wearing a helmet? Yikes!

MikeG
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 12:43 AM
that's what I thought!

Vance
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I'm sorry...
Maybe I've been riding TOO long but...

How do you NOT WEAR A HELMET CORRECTLY?

What the hell does that mean? They put brain buckets on - but didn't tighten the strap?

While disturbing these people lost their lives doing something we all love - I have to say I'm feeling somewhat less than remorseful for those that didn't wear buckets (as I always do because they're just organ donors as far as I'm concerned) or were too stupid to know HOW to wear their buckets.

Maybe I'm just in a foul mood this morning - but maybe these people shouldn't have been riding in the first place if they're that lacking in the basic logic functioning.

rforsythe
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 07:48 AM

The source of that was several news sites following a CDOT/CSP news conference yesterday morning.

Oh, and repost: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31092

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I'm sorry...

What the hell does that mean? They put brain buckets on - but didn't tighten the strap?

When it's protecting your turn signal, perhaps?

Actually, I see people that ride by with helmet on but strap NOT secured.

I DO take exception to the "80%" our fault though.

Captain Obvious
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I'm sorry...

http://dealernewsblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/79-backwards-helmet.jpg

Captain Obvious
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 09:27 AM
In Co, do you have to have a DL to purchase a car? From a dealer, private sales cannot be controlled. Why not require a temp or permanent motorcycle endorsement?

I am a fan of
1) CC limitations based on years of experience, with certain circumstances allowing waivers.
2) requiring a nationally managed (for consistency) motorcycle endorsement class.

Mac020
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Most of them here in El Paso County: http://www.gazette.com/articles/percent_52342___article.html/motorcycle_riders.html

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I'm sorry...

While disturbing these people lost their lives doing something we all love - I have to say I'm feeling somewhat less than remorseful for those that didn't wear buckets (as I always do because they're just organ donors as far as I'm concerned) or were too stupid to know HOW to wear their buckets.

Maybe I'm just in a foul mood this morning - but maybe these people shouldn't have been riding in the first place if they're that lacking in the basic logic functioning.You read these statistics and think, damn! I'm really putting myself in danger!!

Really read the statistics, and you'll see it was usually their fault that they're dead. I said, "usually" not always.

We used to be heavily onto rock climbing. Every year a book was put out called "Climbing accidents in North America". It was a bunch of stories of people who died rock climbing the year before. At first glance, it appears no one can survive rock climbing. After reading the stories, you find that most of the accidents were their own fault.

Riding motorcycles and rock climbing are extremely safe if you are experienced and know what you are doing!!

I take comfort in knowing they fucked up, and if you pay attention, it's reasonably safe...

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
We used to be heavily onto rock climbing. Every year a book was put out called "Climbing accidents in North America". It was a bunch of stories of people who died rock climbing the year before. At first glance, it appears no one can survive rock climbing. After reading the stories, you find that most of the accidents were their own fault.

Riding motorcycles and rock climbing are extremely safe if you are experienced and know what you are doing!!

The same goes for cave diving. Most of the fatalities are people who were doing dives they weren't trained for (e.g. open water divers trying to do a dive that required full cave training. Damn, I miss it...

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/dirkdive.jpg

Dirk

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:41 AM
The same goes for cave diving. Most of the fatalities are people who were doing dives they weren't trained for (e.g. open water divers trying to do a dive that required full cave training. Damn, I miss it...

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/dirkdive.jpg

DirkHell yeah bro!! We dive too! Not cave certified, though.

Is that a shot from the Blue Hole?

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Gurgle gurgle

http://home.comcast.net/%7Etk4480/CSC/dive.jpg

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hell yeah bro!! We dive too! Not cave certified, though.

Is that a shot from the Blue Hole?

No, that one is from Little River Springs outside Branford, FL. That is probably my favorite cave dive. It's a mix of technical stuff and big rooms. Every time I went through the twisty Serpentine Tunnel, the song "Battle in the Mutara Nebula" from Star Trek II would go through my head for some reason. :) Then there was the time I was a mile back in it and when we turned around, I pulled the dump valve on my BC and it came off in my hand. Imagine trying to swim out a mile with all that gear on your back, no BC, and silty mud on the bottom. My reaction was to laugh. :)

A few years ago I went down to the Blue Hole area to dive a sinkhole on private property. The lady just wanted to know what it looked like down there. It was pretty big and just a cavern dive but it was good to be back in the water.

Dirk

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM
A few years ago I went down to the Blue Hole area to dive a sinkhole on private property. The lady just wanted to know what it looked like down there. It was pretty big and just a cavern dive but it was good to be back in the water.

DirkI've heard you can't do the cave at Blue Hole any more. When we were there a few years ago, they had the entrance caged off. I guess there are still some bodies in there that they never found. I've also heard that no one has ever mapped out the entire system. Supposedly, it goes on for miles and miles:dunno:

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I've also heard that no one has ever mapped out the entire system. Supposedly, it goes on for miles and miles:dunno:

Wouldn't surprise me. I've done dive at Peacock Springs that was several miles long. I just found some cool videos. I'll start a new thread so as not to jack this one too long...

Dirk

McVaaahhh
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 11:16 AM
80% MC fault is not hard to believe. Most of the stories that have been posted here about riders down have included at least one of the following: Excessive speed, no helmet, drinking or running from the police (which usually means excessive speed or running lights, etc).

FZRguy
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 05:58 PM

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/19263424/detail.html

sprtbkbabe
Sat Apr 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Just leaving your house is fatal. So, if you happen to indulge in extracurricular activites like being a biker, you're fucked!

Then again, the media has those shut-ins rapt with attention so they NEVER leave!

Bra deflects bullet aimed at woman
Wed Apr 22, 1:14 pm ET
DETROIT (Reuters) – A 57-year-old Detroit woman avoided serious injury when the underwire on her bra deflected a bullet shot at her from next door, police said.
The woman, who lives on the West side of Detroit, saw a group of men breaking into a neighbor's house on Tuesday morning. When the men spotted her, one of them fired a shot at her, a police spokesman said.
The bullet struck the underwire on the woman's bra and that saved her from a more serious injury, police said.
"It did slow the bullet down," said Detroit police spokesman Phillip Cook. "She sustained injuries but they're not life threatening."
The woman, who was not identified, was treated at a nearby hospital. The suspects in the shooting drove away.

I bet crab-fisherman care less about leaving though & being in the most dangerous job in America:

No. 1 Fishers and related workers

Deaths per 100,000 workers: 111.8
Total deaths: 38
What they do: Work on commercial boats. Fishers catch fish and other aquatic animals to sell as food, animal feed, bait and other uses.
Dangers: Commercial fishers work in all kinds of weather, often hundreds of miles from shore with no help readily available. Crew members risk falling on slippery decks, which can result in serious injuries or even going overboard. There are also potential hazards of malfunctioning fishing gear and becoming entangled in large nets

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Apr 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Bra deflects bullet aimed at woman
Wed Apr 22, 1:14 pm ET
DETROIT (Reuters) – A 57-year-old Detroit woman avoided serious injury when the underwire on her bra deflected a bullet shot at her from next door, police said.
Those must be one HUGE set of tits. The underwire was probably the size of a suspension bridge cable.....:shocked: