PDA

View Full Version : Gun people.

~Barn~
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Can you get a good deal on rifles over the net, or do you have to buy that kinda thing in person?

I want to get one, but I can't find "online deals" for it, but for other ones I can. Does anybody here have a hookup with S&W? DK?

Tipys
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Barn do you really need a gun?

~Barn~
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:40 PM
No. But does anybody really?

The Black Knight
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Can you get a good deal on rifles over the net, or do you have to buy that kinda thing in person?

I want to get one, but I can't find "online deals" for it, but for other ones I can. Does anybody here have a hookup with S&W? DK?
Depends on what you're looking for(will affect the availability of the weapon). However, whatever model you choose will have to be sent to a FFL Dealer in order to make the transaction complete with background check.

Only way of not having to do a background check is to buy from a private seller. I'd check your local newspaper ads for those guys.

~Barn~
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I hadn't expected to say it, but thanks for the info, TBK.
=)

~Barn~
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 10:54 PM
And speaking of serendipity, I just saw that there is a big gun show in Denver this weekend.

If they don't have what I want there, can I leave right away, and get my admission back? :lol:

Better yet, is anybody going??

The Black Knight
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I hadn't expected to say it, but thanks for the info, TBK.
=)
:up:

And speaking of serendipity, I just saw that there is a big gun show in Denver this weekend.

If they don't have what I want there, can I leave right away, and get my admission back? :lol:

Better yet, is anybody going??
Oh you'll never leave "right away" at a gun show(least not me) HAHA. Depending on the size(if it's the Sertoma show) they can have up to 400 tables. Tons of vendors and dealers and sellers. There are deals to be had at Gun Show's and some guys who think their stuff is gold. I've been hitting up the shows mainly for reloading stuff, it's hit and miss. Main thing for me is to hit up all the reloading tables. Gather prices and then go back to where I found the best deal.

Check each table out and get there early(like right as they open), last show here in the Springs(first part of April) a buddy and I got there 30 minutes after they opened and the place was packed and a huge line to get in. Still found what we needed but kind of tough with tons of folks just milling around.

Also a serious side of the admission. I think the rule is the same for most shows, in that if you pay on Saturday, you'll be covered for Sunday as well. They just mark your hand with an X and give you a ticket to get in.

If you plan on buying you rifle at a gun show, be prepared for a huge wait. I always hated when the Gun Shows would be in the area, if buying at a local gun shop. They have the C.B.I. jammed up for the whole weekend(I think I waited close to 8 hours for my last rifle because of a show in Denver).

But Gun Shows are great, if you are looking for it. 99% of the time it's there at several tables.

salsashark
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Check out CDNN Investments (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/)... they're out of TX. I picked up my 870 from them and saved over a hundred from any local dealer... even after the FFL fees.

~Barn~
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 11:33 PM

Hmm... I guess that's something to think about. Unless the deal is ridiculously good, I don't want to wait that long. I'd just as soon wait till the gun show is out of town, if it's going to crash the entire CBI system for the day.

~Barn~
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks Salsa, I'll check them out!

Panman06
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Hmm... I guess that's something to think about. Unless the deal is ridiculously good, I don't want to wait that long. I'd just as soon wait till the gun show is out of town, if it's going to crash the entire CBI system for the day.

Barn, the background check wait time for CBI is a little over 2 hrs on weekdays. You better get to the show and buy early, otherwise the wait will be insane.

If you find a deal you like online, I've got an FFL off of Dry Creek and Yosemite. $15 for each transaction. :up: I just picked up my new SigSauer 226 today.

rforsythe
Sat Apr 25th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Good deals can usually be found on gunbroker.com as well; sellers will ship to an FFL for a small fee. What are you looking to buy?

Zach929rr
Sat Apr 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM
gunsamerica.com has a thorough set of listings as well, although I haven't looked at that site for a year or so.

And at least go to Tanner to see what's up. There's always so much cool shit at the shows that's worth looking at/holding.

Hell, I will even join you down there today if you can get to the Merchandise Mart.

ZX9Rider
Sat Apr 25th, 2009, 09:56 AM
A gun show is a good place to go if you want a gun. Duh. But if you want a gun you could post a WTB ad in some of the forum and tell them what you want. If you have a budget keep that under your hat and see what some people are looking for their gun.

You said that you want a rifle but you didn't say what kind or any guide lines. Do you want one gun for many situations or a special gun that's good for hunting only or skeet shooting.

Also you can get a good deal online but a face to face you get a better deal from someone looking to unload a gun to pay for something else. I got an AR-15 for $500 last year. So you just have to look and see what you can find.

Give us some more information please.

Thanks.

Kim-n-Dean
Sat Apr 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
If it's the Crossroads Gun show, it's more like a flea market now. To us, it's not worth the admission fee. Never saw any good prices either, in the over eight years we used to go.

We also waited two days for a background check at a local shop when the gun show was here a few months ago.

Jensen Arms in Loveland. Their stock is fading quickly, but two friends have run up there in the last month and purchased three AR-15's. Still somewhat reasonable on price, too. I bought my DPMS there and they are great!! They also keep a stash of ammo for the people who buy from them. .223, .308

Vance
Sat Apr 25th, 2009, 04:41 PM
gunbroker.com

~Barn~
Sat Apr 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I want to get a S&W M&P15-22. I went to a gun store today, and they don't have it yet.

The Black Knight
Sat Apr 25th, 2009, 06:28 PM
From what I've gathered on-line, seems the new M&P15-.22LR will be showing up around June/July maybe earlier. But most places seem to hint at a Summer release. You might check around and see what's going down at some of the local gun shops on their expected ETA of the gun.

I know alot of places you can get on a list to purchase a gun. Most will require a small deposit, thought I'm not sure(never have done it myself).

puckstr
Sun Apr 26th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I want to get a S&W M&P15-22. I went to a gun store today, and they don't have it yet.

oooooo I like it.

I am eying this number
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/cetme-308-caliber-semi-auto-battle-rifle-/products_id/2657
$599 .308
http://www.jgsales.com/images/5%20CETME%20308%20CAI%20%201500524.jpg

TMP
Sun Apr 26th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Don't forget Bud's
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

They have a lot of good deals.

As far as local shops, Jensen's is about as good as it gets. Good prices and usually a good stock that seems to be getting a little better again. Although I see you are looking for an S&W model that is not even out yet.

The Black Knight
Sun Apr 26th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Don't forget Bud's
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

They have a lot of good deals.

As far as local shops, Jensen's is about as good as it gets. Good prices and usually a good stock that seems to be getting a little better again. Although I see you are looking for an S&W model that is not even out yet.
+1

bud's has some smokin deals on alot of things. I've found magazines for a few of my pistols on there running a good $10 cheaper than everyone else. Can't beat their prices.

:up:

dirkterrell
Sun Apr 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Jensen Arms in Loveland.

Big +1 for Jensen.

Dirk

Jason ON
Sun Apr 26th, 2009, 02:41 PM
What kind of rifle are you looking for Barn?

~Barn~
Sun Apr 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
A .22lr from Smith and Wesson; it's all Rambo looking. It's called a M&P15-22.

I've been doing some thinking (read: playing Max Payne), and I figure if somebody breaks into our house, I can stumble across our rather large size bed, over Tanya, to the corner of room, open up my drawer, dig out my .45 and unholster it, chamber me a round, and have a measly 8 chances to kill the person (likely people, plural.) who just got in the front door or through the deck door. Oh yeah... all while shooting from our bedroom hallway towards the front entrance/living room, which just so happens to put our little girls' room, precisely in the line of fire, who also just happen to sleep directly against that closest wall, in their bunk beds.

Or..... I can reach under my bed, chamber the LR, and triple-tap burglers A. and B. amongst the face and chest as many times as I need to fill safe, and hopefully drastically reduce the danger to the kiddos.

rforsythe
Sun Apr 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM
...or just keep the pistol in a locked case under the bed which you can open quickly, and have a round chambered before you can straighten your boxers. YMMV but just a thought.

Of course either weapon should be locked up or at a minimum have a trigger lock on it regardless, with kids in the house. So no matter what you're going to spend a bit of time messing with that. The advantage to a handgun is the small safes designed to open quickly if you know the magic word, but be otherwise impermeable to kiddos.

InlineSIX24
Sun Apr 26th, 2009, 10:21 PM
+1 for having it already chambered.

http://www.gunvault.com/images/header.jpg?nxg_versionuid=published

~Barn~
Sun Apr 26th, 2009, 11:05 PM
My girls can't chamber my .45. Physically, I mean they can't do it, I've had them try it.

Once I learn about the .22, I'll make sure they know about it, and where it's kept, and also they it's nothing they are going to try and play with in the house. And like the .45, the gun will never be chambered.

I'm not keeping our knives and matches and whatever else could cause a disaster under lock and key, Ralph, and the unloaded gun will be no different. My kids are bright enough to know it's dangerous, and I think having it properly "locked" takes away from the ready-to-use factor. Once it's in hand, what's it take to chamber it? 1/3 of a second? Faster? To unlock something and you're looking at 2, 3, or maybe even more seconds fumbling. I'm not opposed to locking up guns, I'm just opposed to locking up your self-defense gun. :dunno:

And again part of my point was not having to use a pistol. I don't want to miss with my .45 and shoot a hole in their wall. It's my only handgun, and I don't plan on buying a smaller caliber one anytime soon.

ZX9Rider
Sun Apr 26th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Teach your kids about gun safety and don't depend on locking up your own safety alone. Your kids are bright so you shouldn't have a problem teaching them its not a toy and not to play with it.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Mossberg 500...

And you can geek it out with all kinds of stuff.

rforsythe
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Calm down. While I see your point Barn, it's not YOUR kids I was as worried about. What happens when one of them brings friends over and they find it? Also I don't necessarily suggest keeping it chambered either, but I still think it should always be locked away -- especially if it's something you intend to have ready to fire within seconds. I keep my .40 in such a way that I can get to it very quickly without even leaving my bed (by that point the home alarm has gone off and the dogs have gone nuts), but anyone else is going to have a real hard time getting into it without the use of tools.

I am not suggesting you keep everything scary under lock and key and never let your kids outside. I am suggesting, however, that anything resembling a firearm, especially one with ammunition in the vicinity, is absolutely locked up with something. A lot of accidents have happened because the owner (usually the parent, or a parent of a kid's friend) thought it was all good.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Gun Vault is the way to go with kids. Look at Inline's pic. They have a hand print that you lay your hand in and push the combo. Very fast, secure and the weapon can be chambered. Even cops have 'stove piped' a round while racking the slide in a hurry. If it's for protection, it should be 'ready to go'!!

BTW - .22's penetrate drywall no problem.

ZX9Rider
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM
That M&P .22 would be a great addition to any collection. It would be a fun gun to shoot. Way less money than buying a .223 AR-15 then getting a .22 lr kit for it. Get a couple magazines for it a box of .22 lr for it and have fun shooting for less. Kids will love to shoot it too. You can teach them all about gun safety and trigger control. You will be father of the day.

TFOGGuys
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:18 AM
IMHO, if fields of fire are an issue, the weapon of choice for home defense is a shotgun, loaded with the smallest birdshot you can find (9s or smaller). Terminal ballistics are such that more than one round per assailant is redundant, but the chances of over penetration are substantially reduced, compared to ANY handgun or rifle cartridge(including .22s).

salsashark
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:23 AM
IMHO, if fields of fire are an issue, the weapon of choice for home defense is a shotgun, loaded with the smallest birdshot you can find (9s or smaller). Terminal ballistics are such that more than one round per assailant is redundant, but the chances of over penetration are substantially reduced, compared to ANY handgun or rifle cartridge(including .22s).

This is why I picked up my shotty... Talking w/ a LEO buddy of mine and he was telling me about a call he was on where a homeowner put 9mm rounds into his neighbors house (through his own) while attempting to shoot a burglar. I unloaded and boxed up my 9mm and replaced it with the 870 express.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Exactly...I would hate to miss the intruder and have the round go through a couple walls and kill someone like a neighbor instead.

~Barn~
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Hmm... good food for thought, about shotguns. I do like the looks of that Mossberg too.

Regardless of what I buy (if I even bother), I would like it to serve dual purposes though. In addition to its hopefully-never-used role as a home defense weapon, I would like to go plinking with it, too. The .22lr just sounds a lot cheaper to shoot in quantity, than any other round.

And like ZX9Rider mentioned, it would be easier to introduce the kiddos to shooting on their own with a .22lr, than with a shotgun, or the .45 compact. It's all good feedback though. :up:

salsashark
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I also have the 22LR Remington that I learned to shoot when I was 8. It was my great grandfather's and has stayed in the family. I've taught my nephew how to shoot with it and will keep it until either I have a kid or my nephew is old enough to take it off my hands. The 22 is a perfect rifle to introduce younger shooters to firearms, and teach them about firearm safety. It's amazing to see how much research my nephew has done about firearms despite my sister being your typical overprotective soccer mom.

And your right, it's much cheaper to plink with.

TFOGGuys
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hmm... good food for thought, about shotguns. I do like the looks of that Mossberg too.

Regardless of what I buy (if I even bother), I would like it to serve dual purposes though. In addition to its hopefully-never-used role as a home defense weapon, I would like to go plinking with it, too. The .22lr just sounds a lot cheaper to shoot in quantity, than any other round.

And like ZX9Rider mentioned, it would be easier to introduce the kiddos to shooting on their own with a .22lr, than with a shotgun, or the .45 compact. It's all good feedback though. :up:

So Brandon, the solution is to buy both a shotgun AND a .22. :lol:

Seriously, a .22 makes a horrible defensive weapon, as it tends to overpentrate, yet may not be immediately incapacitating to an intruder, even though it may ultimately be fatal for them.

salsashark
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM
So Brandon, the solution is to buy both a shotgun AND a .22. :lol:

Seriously, a .22 makes a horrible defensive weapon, as it tends to overpentrate, yet may not be immediately incapacitating to an intruder, even though it may ultimately be fatal for them.

winner winner chicken dinner!

ZX9Rider
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKEZdyhn4Ts

You tube video about the MP .22. Just videos though.

~Barn~
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM
:lol:

I am *not* going to buy two more guns.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I also have the 22LR Remington that I learned to shoot when I was 8. It was my great grandfather's and has stayed in the family. I've taught my nephew how to shoot with it and will keep it until either I have a kid or my nephew is old enough to take it off my hands. The 22 is a perfect rifle to introduce younger shooters to firearms, and teach them about firearm safety. It's amazing to see how much research my nephew has done about firearms despite my sister being your typical overprotective soccer mom.

And your right, it's much cheaper to plink with.
870 Express all the way, baby!! Since we have no kids or pets, 3" 00 buck.

I have a Remington 597 that I used to shoot a lot. Kind of gave it up when I bought my .308.

Barn - That's the .22 (Remington 597) I was telling you about. I would still probably sell it...

Panman06
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I have a Mossberg 590A1 I keep for home defense. I load frangible 00 buck to minimize the risk of over penetration.

I have frangible loaded in the P220 I keep by my bed as well. I have a biometric safe.

TFOGGuys
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM
:lol:

I am *not* going to buy two more guns.

Uh huh.... I've said the same thing about motorcycles..... :slap:

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM
The dude's a bit of a goof...but you get the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0606FfxLXf4&fmt=18

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I have a Mossberg 590A1 I keep for home defense. I load frangible 00 buck to minimize the risk of over penetration.

I have frangible loaded in the P220 I keep by my bed as well. I have a biometric safe.Does that biometric work well? I have a buddy that had problems. He used to put it through different scenarios, like wet hands out of the shower, greasy hands from working in the garage and it wouldn't open. He switched to the combination style with the hand print.

Mister BOYD
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Just bought my pump action 870 tactical express. Love it.. and you can also go blow some fruit up if you want another use for it. You def won't be dissappointed with a shotty. I mean.. all it takes is the sound of the action and that should be enough to send an intruder in the dark running. I wouldn't wait around to find out if i heard it. Also.. I have a .22 Marlin LR. So.. TFOGGuys is right.. A shotty and a .22 is the way to go!

Panman06
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Does that biometric work well? I have a buddy that had problems. He used to put it through different scenarios, like wet hands out of the shower, greasy hands from working in the garage and it wouldn't open. He switched to the combination style with the hand print.

This is the one I use. Biometric but allows for manual open if bio should have issues.

http://www.gunvault.com/multibiometric.nxg

I've never actually tried opening it with greasy hands...at least not automotive grease, hehe. I have had gun lube on my hands and it opens.

ZX9Rider
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM
The shottys with pistol grips are nice but I have complaints from people useing them and they say they kick to hard so I have put shoulder pads on them and they don't come back and hit you in the face anymore?

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
The shottys with pistol grips are nice but I have complaints from people useing them and they say they kick to hard so I have put shoulder pads on them and they don't come back and hit you in the face anymore?Hmm, that's a trip! Kim handles ours very well, no problems with recoil. Even our neighbor's kid shoots it no problem.

If we're sqauckin' about home defense, I like the pistol grip for maneuverability while I'm hunting down Rambo in my kitchen.

Now, my buddy has a potato gun that he tells people to keep away from their face, but they always hold it like a shotgun and then we take a trip to the emergency room.

salsashark
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM
ZX,

Is this a question or a statement? Generally, pistol grips/folding stocks/anything that makes the gun lighter and smaller will increase the recoil because there's less mass than a solid wood stock... (Gun Nuts please correct me if I'm wrong)

IMO, you're probably not going rec shooting w/ a home defense shotty (although I have)... The idea for a short stock (or folding stock), short barrel, and pistol grip is to increase maneuverability in close quarters... not comfort. If I'm coming out of my bedroom w/ a pistol gripped 18" barrelled rifle, I can round the corner and be squared up for a shot down the hall much quicker than had I done the same with a game rifle.

My .02, take it for what it's worth.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Generally, pistol grips/folding stocks/anything that makes the gun lighter and smaller will increase the recoil because there's less mass than a solid wood stock... (Gun Nuts please correct me if I'm wrong)Remove some weight and the weapon will push back harder as it's easier to break it's inertia.

IMO, you're probably not going rec shooting w/ a home defense shotty (although I have)... It's always a good idea to rec. shoot with your protection weapons. Keeps you familiar with them and if you have a bad jam, you get some experience clearing it in the field rather than when trying to protect yourself.

salsashark
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM
It's always a good idea to rec. shoot with your protection weapons. Keeps you familiar with them and if you have a bad jam, you get some experience clearing it in the field rather than when trying to protect yourself.

I couldn't agree more... I guess the point I was getting at is that they are going to be more aggressive than a full sized rifle. I can rock through a hundred rounds w/ an O/U without breaking a sweat while shooting clays, but 40 - 60 rounds through my 870 and my shoulder's nice and sore.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I can rock through a hundred rounds w/ an O/U without breaking a sweat while shooting clays, but 40 - 60 rounds through my 870 and my shoulder's nice and sore.Go shootin' with us. 3 1/2" 12ga mag, .308, 7.63x39 but after the first two rifles, the 7.62 isn't anything. I'm sore for few days and sometimes my shoulder is bruised. It's a good time!!! Bring your old TV's!!!!

ZX9Rider
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM

ZX,

Is this a question or a statement? Generally, pistol grips/folding stocks/anything that makes the gun lighter and smaller will increase the recoil because there's less mass than a solid wood stock... (Gun Nuts please correct me if I'm wrong)

I think I was just passing on expeirience here.
The pistol grip only shot guns tend to hit people in the face when they shoot them from the shoulder. Stocks like the one above or with folding stocks are a better choice IMHO, because I can shoot them like a rifle and the kick will transfer into my shoulder instead of snapping me in the grill.

IMO, you're probably not going rec shooting w/ a home defense shotty (although I have)... The idea for a short stock (or folding stock), short barrel, and pistol grip is to increase maneuverability in close quarters... not comfort. If I'm coming out of my bedroom w/ a pistol gripped 18" barrelled rifle, I can round the corner and be squared up for a shot down the hall much quicker than had I done the same with a game rifle.

My .02, take it for what it's worth.

Home defense shotguns have a shorter barrel generally. My Winchester Defender 1300 has a 19" barrel and the tube is just as long as the barrel. Its great for home defense, because it works better at close range no matter the bullet used. But it does suck a little for shooting clays because the shot spreads to quickly. You have to have better aim. I take it sometimes and I take my other shotty. Its a Remington 870 with a 26" barrel and I can be surgical with that beast.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I think I was just passing on expeirience here.
The pistol grip only shot guns tend to hit people in the face when they shoot them from the shoulder. Stocks like the one above or with folding stocks are a better choice IMHO, because I can shoot them like a rifle and the kick will transfer into my shoulder instead of snapping me in the grill.I had no idea people did that. I've never tried to hold a pistol grip like a butt stock.

Seen people do it with a potato gun, though...

ZX9Rider
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I was looking on utube looking for a video on a guy who hit himself in the face while shooting a pistol grip only shotgun like a regular shot gun. And I came across this video. Barn I think your search is over...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYsQDq9_wvk&feature=related

~Barn~
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I'll have to check out all "tube" clips from home. We're blocked from them, at work.