PDA

View Full Version : Bike down but in better condition than me

arawls
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Well, I put the first set of scratches on my bike (09 R1). Not new anymore. Not sure what happened because i don't remember it but i do have 4 broken ribs and 2 fractures in my radial bone in my forearm by my elbow. Had all the gear on so not even a fingernail scratch on the outside of my body. I guess the broken ribs were just my body weight hitting the concrete. Bike has a few plastic peices that need replacing but not a big deal. Should be back riding as soon as i heal the bones. Sucks, because i just put on a set of Akropoviks and was just breaking them in. The whole time in the ambulance i was yelling, where is my bike and is my bike OK. Oh, and wasn't happy when they had to cut off the sleave to my Icon jacket. Should be back on the road in a month. Will post pictures when i get a chance.

~Barn~
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
That's lousy, but I'm glad you're alright more-or-less.

Sucks to crash (especially your brand new shit), but welcome to the club. =\

Mister BOYD
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Ouch.. srry to hear.. a month should fly.. hopefully most of the gravel/sand out there will be up by then!

asp_125
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Ouch.. sucks to have broken ribs.. don't laugh ok? did ya hear the one about the rabbi, the priest and the .. :lol:

Guess you're not riding to Bostons. Heal up, man.

McVaaahhh
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Heal up quick man. Glad it wasn't as painful as it could've been.

Were you in the twisties, just rolling around town, hit by another car, or is the whole day erased from memory?

SaShWhO
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
ouch.
is this your first bike by chance??

Slo
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM
That sucks, hope you heal up quick!!!

arawls
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM
not first bike or first crash. all other crashes were on dirt bikes. from what i was told i was going to fast in a turn and the back tire slid out and laid over and at that point i was thrown about 8 feet in from of the bike. luckly no traffic and the bike just settled down and stayed put. Yeah, broken ribs are no fun. Not much you can do about it but let them heal on their own. I'll see yall on the road soon.

asp_125
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Kind of sucks to have such a nice jacket cut up too huh?

~Barn~
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Kind of sucks to have such a nice jacket cut up too huh?

Probably not as much as being reminded of it. :lol:

dirkterrell
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Well, I put the first set of scratches on my bike (09 R1). Not new anymore. Not sure what happened because i don't remember it but i do have 4 broken ribs and 2 fractures in my radial bone in my forearm by my elbow.

Glad you're ok and that the gear did its job. Sounds like you drove your elbow and forearm into your ribs. I did that in a lowside during a race at Pueblo last year. Didn't break any ribs but they were sore as hell for a few weeks. Good luck on the healing.

Dirk

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Owie...best of luck to you!

Snowman
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Take the jacket, cut the other sleeve off and start a new trend.

Devaclis
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Take the jacket, cut the other sleeve off and start a new trend.

He will be sued for infringement. I believe another CSC'er has trademarked "Take it or sleeve it"

RajunCajun
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Sucks! Heal up man!

Looks like that cross plane technology does have the power!

*KEN*
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Sorry about the ribs.

If you need me to break-in the bike while you heal up, just let me know.

honey
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Glad to hear you are ok (for the most part). Hope the healing process will not be to painful.

d3spair
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Shame with such a new bike (you reading this Dallas!!), have a quick recovery and get back out there.

Gregger
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Where did this happen?

Squid season has begun. lol :) J/k

Glad you're ok.

Big-J
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Broken ribs sucks! Try not to cough, that could be avoided by not taking any bong hits. :banghead::lol:

What were you doing before you fucked yourself up?

TFOGGuys
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Candidate for Worst Gift for Someone with Broken ribs:

The Three Stooges DVD boxed Set and a dime bag.

Good luck on the recovery!

mastap07
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM
sorry to hear about that main... hope you have a quick recovery and get back on your bike!!!!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Sorry to hear it man, heal up soon!

arawls
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM
actually stunt riding. riding on one wheel. luckly in a safe place and not on the open road and had friends with me. road one wheel, shifted into second and the read wheel lost traction and slid out. not much can be done when on one wheel and that wheel decides to slide sideways. i guess that's how i was thrown and the bike laid down with little damage. and yes this bike has lots of power. too much too fast in the power band. stands up easy but comes down hard when you loose control. i guess i can't be doing stuff on this bike that i was accustomed to doing on dirt bikes. unless i want more of this in the future. i think i'll stick to the speed and leave the stunts to the professionals. luckily i am blessed with the finanaces to get the bike in new condition before i finish healing. need those frame sliders now.

arawls
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Part of that worst gift idea doesn't sound bad at all. Minus the DVD's and that's a damn good gift.

Sully
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Not sure what happened because i don't remember it but i do have 4 broken ribs and 2 fractures in my radial bone in my forearm by my elbow. Had all the gear on so not even a fingernail scratch on the outside of my body. I guess the broken ribs were just my body weight hitting the concrete. Bike has a few plastic peices that need replacing but not a big deal. Should be back riding as soon as i heal the bones. Sucks, because i just put on a set of Akropoviks and was just breaking them in.

from what i was told i was going to fast in a turn and the back tire slid out and laid over and at that point i was thrown about 8 feet in from of the bike. luckly no traffic and the bike just settled down and stayed put.

actually stunt riding. riding on one wheel. luckly in a safe place and not on the open road and had friends with me. road one wheel, shifted into second and the read wheel lost traction and slid out. not much can be done when on one wheel and that wheel decides to slide sideways. i guess that's how i was thrown and the bike laid down with little damage. and yes this bike has lots of power. too much too fast in the power band. stands up easy but comes down hard when you loose control. i guess i can't be doing stuff on this bike that i was accustomed to doing on dirt bikes. unless i want more of this in the future. i think i'll stick to the speed and leave the stunts to the professionals. luckily i am blessed with the finanaces to get the bike in new condition before i finish healing. need those frame sliders now.

uhm, I'm confused.. :think:.. so what's the real story.. or did I miss something ? :?

arawls
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 10:42 AM
i just got the real story yesterday. i actually never made it to the turn. i was going to fast and was on one wheel. i guess i tried to set it down before the turn and thats when i lost control. i did not remember i was on one wheel. i only remember the turn approaching. and that was what i was told since i can't remember anything. i wish it would have been the turn. i thing sliding would have been better than slaming the groung. sorry for the confusion. i'm still a little confused how i lost control.

asp_125
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Are you sure you don't have a concussion? Did you hit your helmet?

arawls
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM
sucks when you can't remember anything that hurts so bad now.

puckstr
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Glad you survived.

Gravity is an unforgiving mistress

arawls
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 10:47 AM
i did have a concussion. which is why they took me to the st. anthony's trama unit and kept me overnight. CT scan showed small concussion but no damage.

asp_125
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
ahh.. that explains some of the confusion.

arawls
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 11:09 AM
based on what i am told i think i accidently shifted the gears by mistake rather than slowing down and setting it down because they said i increased speed when i should have been slowing down. i knew there was a turn and i knew to slow down. still trying to figure out how i made a stupid mistake.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hate to see people crash. Hate to see people crash doing stupid stunts even more. Sounds like you're suffering (physically and economically) from a 100% preventable accident. I'd hate to see you get killed next time from another accident. Perhaps it's time to stop stunting AND I'd also forget about the "sticking to speed" thing as well. It sounds like you're a relatively new rider, with limited skills, on a bike too powerful for your temperment, and on these roads here that'll get you killed or crippled in short order. Please reconsider your riding priorities.

~Barn~
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks Dad.
:D

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks Dad.
:D
You're very welcome, my long-lost illegitimate son.....:D

arawls
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
yeah, maybe your right. i'm 42, been riding since i was 12. last bike was a Honda 929. this one definately has a little more power. however, i didn't get a bike to ride like it was a scooter. get in line with all the other family members who used this accident to try to convince me to give up the riding. ain't gonna happen. you tried, bro! i understand where you're coming from, nonetheless.

Sully
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 02:11 PM
We have all made stupid mistakes. Just learn from this. The next time you want to stunt, think about how much pain you're in right now. Maybe you'll be smart about what you decide to do. Either way, heal up quick :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM
yeah, maybe your right. i'm 42, been riding since i was 12. last bike was a Honda 929. this one definately has a little more power. however, i didn't get a bike to ride like it was a scooter. get in line with all the other family members who used this accident to try to convince me to give up the riding. ain't gonna happen. you tried, bro! i understand where you're coming from, nonetheless.
I wouldn't say give up riding, just be more careful so you can live to ride another day. It's a lesson ALL of us, of whatever age, should relate to.

Take care.

Gregger
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM
based on what i am told i think i accidently shifted the gears by mistake rather than slowing down and setting it down because they said i increased speed when i should have been slowing down. i knew there was a turn and i knew to slow down. still trying to figure out how i made a stupid mistake.

So let me get this story straight... You were throwing it back, but not on the open road, and there was a turn? My first guess would be stunting in parking lot, but they don't have turns, so my second would be that you were on a public road somewhere... Stunting, a new 09 R1...

Wow.:crazy:

arawls
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 04:03 PM
it was part of a new subdivision that was being built out. No houses, no traffic, just a nice new black top road.

Bueller
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 04:17 PM
That motor ought to be good for wheelies, just start small and work up slowly.

kawasakirob
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Wheelies are fun. Everyone that is good has flipped over once...or twice....or three times....or