PDA

View Full Version : Free Admission to the races! Track-side view! Free Lunch! And get paid?!?

Spiderman
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 05:38 PM
No, this is not a scam!

This is an invitation for you to come cornerwork the MRA races! Stand within feet of the track and get a "front-row" view of Colorado's fastest people on 2-wheels! No experience is necessary, as training is given each morning to any newcomers. Hotel reimbursement is available for out-of-town races (details below).

What exactly is cornerworking (& do I have to pick up bikes?)?
Cornerworking, in a nutshell, is a combination of ensuring the track is safe for all riders, and assisting riders who have crashed or had mechanical failures. This is accomplished through 2 separate roles that you can fulfill:

Flagger: a flagger stands ahead of the corner, and notifies bikes if there is anything in the upcoming corner they need to be careful for (i.e.: debris; bike/people; ambulance). A flagger's only job is to flag - they do not leave their post to pick up bikes or assist riders.
Runner: a runner's primary responsibility is to assist downed riders & mechanical failures, and when possible, remove debris from the track.

So, if you don't want to pick up bikes, you don't have to. If you do, and you're assigned to a corner with someone else who does, then you can coordinate trading duties with them. When staffing permits, there may also be a corner-captain, but often times the runner also fulfills this role.

Water & Gatorade is provided to help you stay hydrated. A free hot lunch is provided thru the on-site concessions.

Pay is as follows:

Starting pay is $50 per day, plus a $10 bonus for each additional day worked (so a 3-day weekend would pay $50+$60+$70)
After you work a total of 6 days (either: individually; as 3 weekends, or; a combination of the two), you get bumped up to Senior pay, I've just received clarification on this: To reward people who keep coming back year after year, anybody who worked more than half the races in the preceeding year is considered "Experienced" and will receive $75 per day (plus the $10 bonus for each additional day).

Hotel Reimbursement:
Since you are required to show up very early in the morning, hotel reimbursement is available for both Friday and Saturday night for out-of-town races (Pueblo; Hastings, PPIR; Hastings). You must work all of both days in order to qualify for reimbursement. Hotels are reimbursed up-to $45 per person, per night (if you share a room with another cornerworker, that can get you up-to a $90/night room - don't forget about taxes tho, so more realistically, closer to $80/night).

What time does it start? How long is the day?
Cornerworkers are asked to show up at 6:45 each morning. Saturday has the potential to run until 5PM, but may finish earlier. Sunday typically finishes around 4PM. The end of each day may be delayed by the number/severity of crashes.

Yes, it's a long day, but it's good for you (you're outside & you're on your feet - that's better for you than sitting on the couch! :D ), it's good for the MRA racers (without cornerworkers, they can't race!!), it's a great group of people, and during lunch & at the end of the day, you can walk thru the pits and talk to racers. 8)

What to bring (and what NOT to bring)?

First of all, DO NOT wear anything Yellow or Red (that includes your hat or gloves)
White pants (blue jeans are acceptable) - NO SHORTS!
White T-shirt (or mostly white) - long- or short-sleeve is up to you. After you work a few events, you will receive an official Corner Marshal shirt
Comfortable shoes/boots - you'll be on your feet most of the day - NO SANDALS!
Belt (or similar) to clip a radio to.
Earplugs - in case you don't get a radio or don't get one of the big headsets
Gloves to protect your hands while handling bikes. Leather work gloves are ideal for this.
Hat & sunglasses to protect you from standing out in the sun all day.
Sunscreen (SPF 30 or greater)
Jacket and/or sweatshirt - it can be chilly in the mornings!
Rain gear (just in case) - jacket/pants style preferred, and can also be used to help stay warm - NO RED OR YELLOW RAIN SUITS!!
The MRA races in the rain at most tracks, and the corners tend to get muddy, so you also want to bring appropriate boots, and a change of clothes for the ride home.
Food - even though lunch will be provided, you may want to bring your own snacks and/or a few dollars for the concession stand.
Backpack or bucket and/or cooler - to carry your gear, drinks/food to/from your corner. Buckets (with lids) and coolers can be used as a seat to rest your legs/lower-back in-between races.
Bring your friends along so they can cornerwork too!
And finally, DO NOT wear anything Yellow or Red!!!

When/where are the races?
The first race of the 2009 season was this past weekend. Here is the schedule for the remainder of it:

May 9th, 10th - Race #2 at High Plains Raceway
May 23rd, 24th, 25th Race #3 & #4 at Motorsports Park Hastings (Saturday, Sunday, & Monday)
June 6th, 7th - Race #5 at High Plains Raceway (this is a Special Event in conjunction with USGPRU 125GP by Pilot, 250GP by Moto Liberty/RS-Taichi, MD250h Powered by Honda)
June 27th, 28th - Race #6 at Pueblo Motorsports Park
July 11th, 12th - Race #7 at Pikes Peak International Raceway
July 25th, 26th - Race #8 at High Plains Raceway
Aug 8th, 9th - Race #9 at High Plains Raceway
Aug 29th, 30th - Race #10 at High Plains Raceway
Sept 19th, 20th Race #11 at Pikes Peak International Raceway

I'm in - how do I sign up?
You can sign up, even just a few days prior to any race weekend, using one of the following methods:

Online in the "MRA Corner Marshals" section of the MRA forums (http://forums.mra-racing.org/) (registration required) - this is also a good place to coordinate carpools to out-of-town races.
By email to cornerworker@emaiko.com

Feel free to post questions here, I'll do my best to answer them, or get the answer if I don't know it.
8)

Spiderman
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
High Plains Raceway (HPR) has 15 turns, and needs more cornerworkers than the MRA has ever needed before (Pueblo only has 10 turns)!

The first race at HPR is less than 2 weeks away. There are plenty of racers from the CSC, so come out, support your friends, and get paid to for it! :D

Sean
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I can't wait to do it again. I did it a couple of times last year and it was a blast! I just rode down and camped all weekend. You meet tons of cool people and a couple bucks in your pocket.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Can't wait for a race while I'm actually home... I'm so there! =)

chad23
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I will see what I can do, the only problem is I work every Saturday, but I do have Sundays off.

Do we get 1099ed if we get paid?

Sean
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I will see what I can do, the only problem is I work every Saturday, but I do have Sundays off.

Do we get 1099ed if we get paid?You can work Sundays only. You just have to be there at the start (7:30ish).

Cash is king my friend, that's how I got paid. I only worked a couple of times but got no paper work. I don't know what they do if you make over $600?

Snowman
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I'm in for both days...

GixxerCarrie
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'm in for HighPlains.:)

Snowman
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Do you look good in white?

GixxerCarrie
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Lets hope!

Spiderman
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 08:17 PM
You can work Sundays only. You just have to be there at the start (7:30ish).
True, you can work Sunday only, but you need to show up at 6:45.

Do we get 1099ed if we get paid?
Cash is king my friend, that's how I got paid. I only worked a couple of times but got no paper work. I don't know what they do if you make over $600?
Even though they pay you cash at the end of the day, you must fill out a W-9 in order to get paid. This means that if you earn $600 or more cornerworking for the MRA, you will get a 1099.

Ceez
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM
In for HPR on Saturdays....if you need any more help, I have 4 kids, they are old enough to work now...ages 10, 4, 3 and 2....they are overdue for a job the way they eat.

Ceez
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Lets hope!

Lets hope it rains then :hump:

honey
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I will do May 9th & 10th. Should be able to do some of the other days as well, will let you know.

Sean
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for correcting me Bob :up:

Hi11Zone
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
do u have to have any experince?

Stuart Little
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Here's hoping that I get laid off so I don't have to work my two 12 hr overnight weekend shifts at IBM!!! As I'd much rather be at a race.

Spiderman
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 10:51 PM
do u have to have any experince?
No, but you have to know how to read.

No experience is necessary, as training is given each morning to any newcomers. ...
;)

GixxerCarrie
Mon Apr 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Lets hope it rains then :hump:

LMAO..the Men~gotta love you all!

Bob is it the 9th and 10th? If so can do both days.:)

Snowman
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Yep...

Saturday May 9, 2009 and Sunday May 10, 2009
Motorcycle Roadracing Association Race No.2 at High Plains Raceway

Corner workers need to be there at 6:45am for the corner worker meeting where you will get your radios and assignments.

gone_skiing
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
In for HPR on Saturdays....if you need any more help, I have 4 kids, they are old enough to work now...ages 10, 4, 3 and 2....they are overdue for a job the way they eat.

Unfortunately due to insurance rules you must be 16 before they will let you outside the pits.

-Nick

DevilsTonic
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Sign me up Bob! I don't have the kiddo that weekend so I'm free to help out.

Spiderman
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Bob is it the 9th and 10th? If so can do both days.:)
Hmmm, let me scroll up and check... :roll:

May 9th, 10th - Race #2 at High Plains Raceway

Well would ya look at that! Yes Carrie, as a matter of fact, it is on the 9th & 10th! :p

Thanks for answering her Randall, but I couldn't resist. :D

GixxerCarrie
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM
[quote=Snowman;442978]After finding her number on a bathroom wall I would imagine so…
quote]

I think you changed it...I think it only said the 10th at first:drink:
And the bathroom wall was Randall's phone...Damns it!!!!!:)

Spiderman
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I think you changed it...I think it only said the 10th at first:drink:
Deputy: "Ok miss, I'd like you to walk along this line right here, placing one foot in front of the other."

Carrie: "Which one? I see two of them!" :drink:

GixxerCarrie
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Deputy: "Ok miss, I'd like you to walk along this line right here, placing one foot in front of the other."

Carrie: "Which one? I see two of them!" :drink:

Bob...don't be jealousy of my super drinking skills from Sunday...I wasn't tryin to juggle that's for damn sure:). I had no worries...I had a DD. Thank GOD! Too much fun! :hump:I still think you changed the first post Mr. Admin.

Spiderman
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I still think you changed the first post Mr. Admin.
Even when admins edit posts, there is an "Edited" tag at the bottom. I think you were better off with the :drink:excuse. ;)

Spiderman
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I wasn't intending this to be a sign-up thread. If people posted up that they're going to go, maybe it'll rally more people, but lets leave the actual sign-up process to how it's documented at the bottom of the first post:

You can sign up, even just a few days prior to any race weekend, using one of the following methods:

Online in the "MRA Corner Marshals" section of the MRA forums (http://forums.mra-racing.org/) (registration required) - this is also a good place to coordinate carpools to out-of-town races.

I'm going to delete the "sign-up"-related posts to avoid any further confusion.

Flyin Hawaiian
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I would be up for working HPR next weekend! Please pm me for needed info from me.

Gary

Spiderman
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Since people seem to have missed it the first time around, I've made the following text bigger in the first post:

GixxerCarrie
Tue Apr 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM
BOB..BE NICE. I'm busting out laughing here! (and it does say edited..so there!)

200sr20
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Stevie and I are in for the 10th

spdr8cr02
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Still need people? If so I am pretty sure I can do the 9th and 10th.

gone_skiing
Fri May 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM
We can always use more people. Particularly at HPR. For the Saturday race school we had 31 cornerworkers and it wasn't too many.

-Nick

Ceez
Fri May 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
EDIT

No can do now for HPR on Saturday. My wifes work schedule just changed so she now works on Saturdays so I have no one to watch the runts. Thanks though.

eklew
Fri May 1st, 2009, 06:01 PM
EDIT

No can do now for HPR on Saturday. My wifes work schedule just changed so she now works on Saturdays so I have no one to watch the runts. Thanks though.

Just hide the little ones behind the cement wall!!!! They can play in the tire bundles, etc....

CELO
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
i'm intrestd in being a corner worker, and am trying to register at the MRA fourm website but i'm having issues; when i hit the submit button it keeps saying "Incorrect special pass-phrase." wtf, please help.

Stank Juic3
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
i'm intrestd in being a corner worker, and am trying to register at the MRA fourm website but i'm having issues; when i hit the submit button it keeps saying "Incorrect special pass-phrase." wtf, please help.

The special code is "denver" type in box right after u type in you password!

Nick_Ninja
Wed May 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM
May '09

Saturday & Sunday

May 9th, 10th

Race #2 at

High Plains Raceway

First MRA race ever at this venue.

CELO
Wed May 6th, 2009, 05:39 PM
The special code is "denver" type in box right after u type in you password!
thanks bro.

btw, whats up fellow dotnet bro. ;P

CELO
Wed May 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
May '09

Saturday & Sunday

May 9th, 10th

Race #2 at

High Plains Raceway

First MRA race ever at this venue.
i am SO down to work this venue.

CELO
Wed May 6th, 2009, 09:39 PM
welp, i just PM gone skiing about becomeing a corner worker. i hope that he gets back in time for me to work this weekend. btw, where is high plains raceway? is it far from the springs? maybe i should just google it, nevermind.

CELO
Wed May 6th, 2009, 09:45 PM
you know what i think that i'm blind, i can't find the HPR address. i did find their P.O. box, but if i use that at map quest that won't give me directions on how to get there. i guess i'll just have to give them a call tomorrow. unless someone can help me out before then?

Nick_Ninja
Wed May 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
you know what i think that i'm blind, i can't find the HPR address. i did find their P.O. box, but if i use that at map quest that won't give me directions on how to get there. i guess i'll just have to give them a call tomorrow. unless someone can help me out before then?

High Plains Raceway - 93301 E Highway 36, Deertrail, Colorado 80105
Directions: High Plains Raceway is located on U.S. Highway 36, 17 miles east of Byers. This is 60 miles (and less than one hour) east of the I-25 & I-70 interchange, known locally as the Mousetrap. At Byers, exit I-70 (which bends to the south towards Limon) taking Highway 36 due east 17 miles. The track is on your left, with the entrance at the Easternmost side of the property.
Information: Call (303) 769-4771

http://www.highplainsraceway.com/index.html

CELO
Wed May 6th, 2009, 10:00 PM
thanks you very much nick.

CELO
Tue May 12th, 2009, 08:34 AM
is anyone intrested in doing corner work at the hastings race over weekend memorial? if so i'm trying to get a carpool together so that the gas hit won't be too bad. please pm if intrested.

Spiderman
Thu May 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I've recently discovered that the information I was given when I first posted the pay structure was incorrect. I've updated the first post with the correct information. Here it is in a nutshell:

Pay is as follows:

Starting pay is $50 per day, plus a $10 bonus for each additional day worked (so a 3-day weekend would pay $50+$60+$70)
To reward people who keep coming back year after year, anybody who worked more than half the races in the preceeding year is considered "Experienced" and will receive $75 per day (plus the $10 bonus for each additional day).

Sorry.

CELO
Thu May 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM
any luck with those corner marshall t-shirts?

to my understanding @ the next race @ HPR, the track is going hot @0800. is this the normal time the track goes hot? do the corner workers report @ the same bat time?

Spiderman
Thu May 28th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Haven't done anything on the shirts yet - gotta get some info on silk-screening and try and round up some sponsors.

The normal raceday schedule has the track going hot at 8:00AM. The only time it's later than that is if it's really cold or adverse weather conditions.

Cornerworkers still need to show up between 6:30-6:45.

CELO
Thu May 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
sweet thanks for the info.