PDA

View Full Version : Leaking fuel from tank

Speedwagon
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Give me your thoughts on this please.

I walked out to the garage one day, to find it smelling strongly of gasoline. Couldn't figure out why at first, then I came across a small puddle of gas/oil on the ground, centered around my kickstand. Looked into it a bit more, and found the rattle can paint on my tank(previous owner) peeling off(the factory paint was smooth, didn't look prepped) of the bottom of the tank. No signs of overspray on the pump assembly, so my guess is that the assembly was dropped from the tank, and the tank painted. Which leads me to believe that the rattle can paint dissolved around the seal, allowing it to leak out and down.

Any other thoughts on what it might be, before I dive in? I already drained the tank of the gas so it would stop leaking. I don't see any signs of rust anywhere on the bike so far, but I haven't looked very deeply into the matter yet. So anything you can think of that I should check out while I'm doing this would be great.

XJ600s
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Which bike is this on? Could you tell if the leak was coming from the left, right, front or rear part of the bike (you said around your kickstand, so I'm assuming it was leaking from the left side of the bike).

Is it gas or oil that was leaking or both?

Only thing I can think of off hand is a hole in the gas line going to the carbs, or a leaky fuel petcock. If its both oil and gas that were leaking, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Jim_Vess
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Since you mentioned pump assembly, I'm assuming you are talking about your YZF750.

It sounds to me like the previous owner pulled the pump to paint the tank and just used the old gasket again when he reinstalled the pump. I think it would be a good idea to replace the gasket.

Speedwagon
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Since you mentioned pump assembly, I'm assuming you are talking about your YZF750.

It sounds to me like the previous owner pulled the pump to paint the tank and just used the old gasket again when he reinstalled the pump. I think it would be a good idea to replace the gasket.

Correct, the YZF.

On the ground was mostly gas, with some oil mixed in. I couldn't see any oil leaks, I suspect the gas might have washed oil off other parts and onto the ground. And all the gas was concentrated from the bottom of the tank, but I couldn't tell a direction at all. It seemed to cover the bottom sump area.

Captain Obvious
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I dont know about the YZFs, but on my TLR the fuel pump is on the bottom. During removal and reinstall, the metal flanges are notorious for not sealing properly. Sometimes it takes a while before the gas makes its way through the gasket, or the gasket just deteriorates due to heat. That is the first place I check when I noticed mine was leaking.