PDA

View Full Version : Advice on motorcycle trailers

Think
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 12:19 AM
So here's the deal. I'm driving back home for the summer which is in Maryland so it's quite a ways away. I'm also going to be trailering my CBR to take home with me. I don't have a lot of money to spend and was looking for recommendations on a trailer that will be suitable for this. I know Uhaul has a motorcycle trailer but it's only for local hauling so I wouldn't be able to transfer it to some other Uhaul place back in Maryland.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wankel7
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Craigslist....you can find three rail trailers for under $500 or near that. Make sure the trailer is for street bikes and not dirt bikes.

James

Tipys
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Thats a first time hearing that a Uhal trailer has to stay local. My bet is the store that got it doesn't want to let it go. I would try going maybe a size bigger I brought a car dolly from AR to hear last year.

Edit: Going there and back would probly cost just as much to rent as buying a trailer.

kalibra
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Harbor Freight trailers !!!FTW

Think
Fri May 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Think this could hold a sport bike?

Vehicle 1
Fri May 1st, 2009, 04:50 PM
It could hold the weight probably, but the bearings on those small wheels may not take the trip, unless you go like 55 the whole way. Don't ask how I know...

McVaaahhh
Fri May 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM
:imwithstupid:

You definitely want a trailer with at least 14" wheels on it. Otherwise they spin so fast they melt the bearings. :D

brennahm
Fri May 1st, 2009, 04:52 PM
After many experiences, the trailer loading area is the least of your worries. Make sure you have good sized, good condition wheels and tires, plus a suspension and axle to handle the load. Well worth finding a trailer with these.

Horsman
Fri May 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
So here's the deal. I'm driving back home for the summer which is in Maryland so it's quite a ways away. I'm also going to be trailering my CBR to take home with me. I don't have a lot of money to spend and was looking for recommendations on a trailer that will be suitable for this. I know Uhaul has a motorcycle trailer but it's only for local hauling so I wouldn't be able to transfer it to some other Uhaul place back in Maryland.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cool... Where in Maryland??? I am from back there... Boy, do I miss the Blue Crabs with Old Bay and a big mug of Natty Boh....

Think
Fri May 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Well good thing I checked here first then. Anyone mind helping me look around? I don't know a hell of a lot about trailers and need to buy one within the next couple weeks before my drive back to Maryland.

kalibra
Fri May 1st, 2009, 09:06 PM
Of course,this is not a motorcycle trailer(flat platform, 4'x8'),so it's not fitted with a track or anything like that,but given the price I am sure you can buy other things to make it work.

Dietrich_R1
Fri May 1st, 2009, 09:42 PM
I would have to give C.L. a thumbs up! Search around your area & maybe beyond a little bit of a drive. I've seen some killer deals for them! A trailer is something you can always use & something you can definately get "almost" your cash back, unless you buy new. The don't depreciate much once it's off the lot.

When looking for a trailer, make sure you get something w/ BIG tires! Do the math & calculate how many times an 8" tire has to rotate @ 55mph compared to a normal small car tire. Then calculate it @ 80mph!!!!! You'll sooooon understand!!

I currently have a harbor freight 1600lb payload trailer wenched to my wall. That's the main reason why I purchased it. It's compact. I plug in the wench w/ a extension cord, hook up the trailer, & VOILA`!!!!!!! Nice & compact!

rforsythe
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
<-- thinks dietrich should look up the difference between "wench" and "winch" and re-read his post. :D

+1 on what everyone else is saying about bigger tires. Also check air pressures in them before you leave and periodically throughout the trip! An under-inflated trailer tire will overheat and blow even with less than max load, and with a single-axle trailer that can get interesting. When we pull the 43-footer all pressures are checked at every stop just to be safe, and we have 3 axles on that one.

Aracheon
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Of course,this is not a motorcycle trailer(flat platform, 4'x8'),so it's not fitted with a track or anything like that,but given the price I am sure you can buy other things to make it work.

Yep. I bolted my Baxley to the frame of my Harbor Freight trailer. So long as you strap the bike forward, it's not going ANYWHERE.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ilzp51.jpg

Think
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Yep. I bolted my Baxley to the frame of my Harbor Freight trailer. So long as you strap the bike forward, it's not going ANYWHERE.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ilzp51.jpg
How much was that wheel chock and where did you get it?

Mental
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Harbor Freight trailers !!!FTW

I had one of these and A hauled a V-Star from here to ATL and brought it back empty with no issues at all. It has also hauled my R6 to PMI all behind a Mazda 3. It folds upright and rolls to the corner of my garage. With a cheap wood floor, and wheel chock, I have less that $400 in mine total. I also did it like the previous post with a wheel chock. I got the "fancy" $30 HF one, but they have the curved metal ones for 1/2 that.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96349 Fancey Wheel chock like mine, but its gone up $10
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97145 Economy version
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42709 Trailer

I have had bearings seize on me on a car trailer, THAT was fun. So I was super paraniod about the wheels on this one, so I checked the center lugs for temp every stop for gas on the way to GA, and never had an issue. The advantage of it being a flat trailer is you can use it for other stuff. I duimpster dived and made particlboard side walls for mine and took a load to the dump. It has also helped me help a freind move.

Think
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Awesome, I thought that wheel chock would cost a hell of a lot more. So I just go out and buy some plywood and I'm good to go?

Mental
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Mostly. The trailer comes unassembled. Took me a good Saturday afternoon to get it all together, but I am an idiot.

BeoBe
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
you sure uhaul is only letting you do it local? I know even the biggest one i think is like 45/day but i was never told anything about a local pick and drop only

Tipys
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
45 a day locally you have to pay for a min 5 days if taken one way. So the HF trailer is your better bet. Say 400 total instead of 230 one way. You will also have a trailer to keep instead of having to return it.

Matt
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
I bought this harbor freight trailer 5 years ago. It has the 12" wheels.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90154

I also bought this motorcycle rack to bolt to the trailer.

http://motorcycletrailer.com/mag1/mck2.html

The whole thing cost about $500 5 years ago. I use the trailer 5 or 6 times a year and have had no trouble with it.

Think
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
So should I go with the 8" wheels or the 12" wheels? Also, I'll be towing it behind my Outback that has a 1 1/4" receiver, is that going to be a problem for me?

Matt
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
So should I go with the 8" wheels or the 12" wheels? Also, I'll be towing it behind my Outback that has a 1 1/4" receiver, is that going to be a problem for me?

Definitely go with the 12" wheels.

I tow mine with my wife's H6-3.0 Outback. It has a 1 1/4" receiver. I tow using the cruise control at 70 MPH. It pulls the bike and trailer no problem at all.

Think
Mon May 4th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Well now I'm in a bit of a pickle. Harbor Freight would take 10-20 business days to ship and I need the trailer at the latest by May 16th which presents a rather large problem.

Edit: Found this on CL, look alright?

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1150067437.html

kalibra
Mon May 4th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Why do you need it shipped when you can pick it up from one of the stores here in town? I got mine from the store in a box ,took it home,put it together went to Home Depot and bought some 3/4" plywood and bolts and put it all together in less than a day.I would help you with installation (very basic) but I fly out to Europe today.You can email me though for questions or PM here....

asp_125
Mon May 4th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Well now I'm in a bit of a pickle. Harbor Freight would take 10-20 business days to ship and I need the trailer at the latest by May 16th which presents a rather large problem.

that should be fine, just make sure you have a ramp long enough so that you can get the bike on without hanging up the undercarriage. With the 12" wheels, there should be grease nipples on the axle or near the hubs so that you can maintain the bearings.

longrider
Mon May 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM

I would take that over the Harbor freight one anyday. The rails look wide enough in the picture, but sometimes you have to flare out where the rear tire goes for a sportbike. Most trailers of that style were designed for dirtbikes. The ramp that comes with it might not be long enough, however any bike shop will have good ramps in stock.

Think
Wed May 6th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Why do you need it shipped when you can pick it up from one of the stores here in town? I got mine from the store in a box ,took it home,put it together went to Home Depot and bought some 3/4" plywood and bolts and put it all together in less than a day.I would help you with installation (very basic) but I fly out to Europe today.You can email me though for questions or PM here....
Well I went and picked up a harbor freight trailer (had no idea there was a harbor freight store in FoCo), that one on CL I was eyeing sold today. But the one from harbor freight turned out to be $100 less expensive with everything I needed. Weird how their online prices are a lot more expensive than their in store prices.

Mental
Thu May 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM
That is odd, HF tends to give their maangers a lot of leeway in pricing. I bought mine when it was on sale according to an online flyer I get (I'm on the mailing list).