PDA

View Full Version : To the moon, Alice!

Speedwagon
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Stephen Hawking: Space Travel To Mars And Stars Is Possible, And Necessary; He Tells How To Do It

Space not only can be but must be explored, with missions to the moon, Mars, and ultimately to planets circling other stars in the nearby universe, according to Stephen Hawking, the world-renowned astronomer.

His comments, made just over one year ago to an audience in Washington, D.C., are a counterpoint to those telling President Obama that the U.S. space program isn't worth it, that it's expensive, that these are tough economic times with other pressing needs of the moment, and why must the United States explore the heavens, anyway?

Obama's detailed plans for funding NASA and U.S. space efforts in the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, 2010, will be unveiled next month. His budget will reveal whether the only nation that placed men on the moon, still the richest nation on Earth, will continue to lead in space, or forfeit the final frontier to other countries.

Hawking's clarion call for a robust space effort clearly opts for the former alternative.

A year ago, on April 21, 2008, Hawking -- possessed of one of the greatest minds of our age -- set forth why space exploration is worth it, even at great expense. He spoke to an audience at the George Washington University, before the Elliott School of International Affairs - Space Policy Institute, an appearance co-sponsored by Lockheed Martin Corp. [LMT]. He spoke with a computer-generated voice.

Although his Herculean intellect is trapped within the confines of a body increasingly paralyzed by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's Disease), the irony is that he is one of the greatest authorities on the infinite space of the universe, and its infinite possibilities.

A British subject schooled at Oxford and Cambridge, he holds many of the highest academic and professional honors that the United Kingdom can bestow.

(For a ver batim rendering of his remarks prepared by Space & Missile Defense Report, please see partial transcript in this issue.)

Hawking first examined how life can emerge anywhere in the universe, and explored whether the human race is alone in possessing intelligence, in the vastness of billions of stars and planets.

Life appeared on Earth rather suddenly, in astronomical and biological-evolutionary terms, suggesting either that life can form independently with relative ease, or that life on Earth may have come from another place, he said. Meteors have come to Earth from Mars, and perhaps other places, he noted.

It is possible that life could form independently on planets circling different stars, he said, and also possible for life to emerge separately on two different planets in the same stellar system, though that would be pressing the limits of probability.

Still, it is worth going to explore other worlds, especially if they contain water, he said.

Water (hydrogen and oxygen) can provide water to drink and for irrigating crops, oxygen to breathe, and hydrogen for heating, electricity and vehicle power. Nuclear and solar panels also can be used.

Travelers spending half a year or so at a time on the International Space Station show that extended trips into space are feasible and survivable, though they inevitably entail physical damage to the health of those travelers, the punishing effect of weightlessness and space radiation.

Hawking said an outpost on the moon not only is feasible, it can be a way station for sojourners to other parts of the solar system, such as Mars.

He also addressed the question as to why, if there is intelligent life elsewhere in the nearby universe, it hasn't contacted residents of Earth.

Three possibilities come to mind, Hawking said: there may not be any life, at least not nearby. Or, there may be life on a planet in the solar system or a nearby stellar system, but it may never have evolved to intelligent life. Or, intelligent life did develop, reaching roughly the current stage of human development, so that it finally was able to create nuclear weapons and destroy itself.

"Let's hope this is not the reason we have not heard from anyone," Hawking said, half joking.

Then Hawking set forth his final thesis: long-term space travel is not only feasible, it is imperative.

Mars: The Next Target
"Mars is the obvious next target," after moon missions, he said. To be sure, he added, life on Mars would be no visit to Club Med.

Mars "is half as far again as the Earth from the sun, and so receives half the warmth. It once had a magnetic field, but it decayed 4 billion years ago, leaving Mars without protection from solar radiation. This stripped Mars of most of its atmosphere, leaving it with only 1 percent of the pressure of the Earth's atmosphere. However, the pressure must have been higher in the past, because we see what appear to be runoff channels and dried-up lakes. Liquid water cannot exist on Mars now. It would vaporize in the near-vacuum. This suggests that Mars had a warm, wet period, during which life might have appeared, either spontaneously or through panspermia," the introduction of life there that originated somewhere else.

Why examine Mars? "There is no sign of life on Mars now, but if we found evidence that life had once existed, it would indicate that the probability of life developing on a suitable planet was fairly high," Hawking said.

He cited the unmanned missions that NASA has sent to Mars, and the incredible wealth of discoveries that they have provided to Earthlings. How much more could be reaped from manned missions.

Finally, he said mankind should reach for the stars, though he said interstellar travel may not occur for two to five centuries.

Chances are that an Earth-like planet lies out there, reachable in 30 years going at the speed of light, he indicated.

"Our observations indicate that a significant fraction of stars have planets around them," he noted. "So far, we can detect only giant planets, like Jupiter and Saturn, but it is reasonable to assume that they will be accompanied by smaller, Earth-like planets. Some of these will lie in the Goldilocks zone, where the distance from the stars is in the right range for liquid water to exist on their surface. There are around a thousand stars within 30 light years of Earth. If 1 percent of these had Earth-sized planets in the Goldilocks zone, we have 10 candidate new worlds," Earth-like planets.

Astronauts won't be walking on those planets in the next 20 or 30 years, but someday it could happen.

"We can't envisage visiting them with current technology, but we should make interstellar travel a long-term aim," Hawking said. "By long-term, I mean over the next 200 to 500 years. The human race has existed as a separate species for about 2 million years. Civilization began about 10,000 years ago, and the rate of development has been steadily increasing. If the human race is to continue for another million years, we will have to boldly go where no one has gone before."

Just how such path-finding, unprecedented explorations will occur if the United States goes miserly and de-funds space programs, however, he didn't examine. (Please see story on pending NASA budget cuts in this issue.)

http://www.defensedaily.com/publications/smr/6550.html

willb003
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Good luck getting something to go the speed of light since its like 670 million miles an hour.

dirkterrell
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I'm curious what people here think of our spending $17 billion a year on NASA. Is space exploration worth it?

Dirk

Devaclis
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 08:51 AM
One day, we are going to NEED the ability to inhabit other worlds. I think it is worth every penny. There is also the fact that is helps advance technology, gives our youth something to strive to achieve, and it is just damned exciting!!

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q

McVaaahhh
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I'm curious what people here think of our spending $17 billion a year on NASA. Is space exploration worth it?

Dirk

I think it should be privatized. :D

Shea
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Dirk

Per our conversation last night, I think their priorities need to be examined. I think spaceflight is important and necessary (how else am I going to get away from you people?) but as with all government things, NASA is bloated and inefficient.

I also agree with Brian. The private sector can anything do anything the federal government can do, twice as fast for half the cost.

Devaclis
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 08:57 AM
The X-Prize and Richard Branson are helping with privatized space flight. I think you need to look to Google and some of the larger mega-corps that have more than a financial interest in getting civilians into space.

Shea
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is this "nearby universe" the idiotic reporter speaks of?

When an asteroid that can be dragged into LEO and mined can hold TRILLIONS of dollars worth of gold, nickel, iron, etc. You bet your ass there are people looking up into the heavens with $$ in their eyes...

dirkterrell
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I agree that human spaceflight is approaching the point where private industry should take over, where air travel was about 1920. In fact, as I told Shea last night, we at SwRI are involved in the development of commercial human spaceflight.

But there are some things that the government is best at, like providing infrastructure that makes business possible (e.g. highways). I see basic research as something similar. It is a knowledge infrastructure that pays off down the road. But that can be a hard sell in difficult economic times. Why should we study the motions of stars on the other side of the galaxy when we have people out of work? When you're hungry, that seed corn looks very tempting.

Dirk

XJ600s
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Dirk

Funny you should say that because I've spent the last week revising the entire NASA budget for a class of mine. In my personal opinion, NASA is spread out too thin and attempting to work on too many projects at once. I think it would be better if they focused on one or two large projects, finished them, then moved on.

In an aside, there is a new x-prize for the private sector to launch a vehicle and a flower to the moon, the vehicle must move at least 500m on the surface and send back high-resolution images. The prize is $30 million. Which, when looking at how much it cost NASA to go to the Moon, it is a small reward for something so large of a feat. They are simply trying to see if the private sector has what it takes to send something to the Moon.

I definitely think that the private sector could be doing a large portion of what NASA currently does, but it will take a while to switch everything over to them.

Wyck
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
.... still the richest nation on Earth....

I know this is off topic but that phrase really bugs me when our national debt is insane. In fact it bugged me so much I had to go figure out what it really means and where it came from.

"Judged by gross domestic product, the United States is the world's richest nation, according to World Bank figures. Its $13.1 billion in GDP -- the value of all goods and services a country produces -- is nearly three times as much as the second-richest nation, Japan."

Quote found here in an article about another entirely unrelated topic but just wanted to post my source
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/05/22/grameen.bank/index.html (http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/05/22/grameen.bank/index.html)

On topic Yes space exploration is necessary. It will be interesting to see what Obama does.

Snowman
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
It would all depends on how they plan to spend this money. If the focus is manned space flight in order to explore other planets then no. At least in the near future.

Currently this can be done easier, cheaper and far more effective by unmanned probes. Examples are the two rovers on Mars and their 3-month missions that are now into their 5th year of operation and expatiations are they will be running for another year.

They have collectively learned more about Mars than every other probe and telescope we have ever pointed at that plant. Our machines are far better at exploring the universe than we will ever be.

However, I do believe that humans do have a place in space. We as a species will have to leave this planet at some point in order to survive. So leaning how to live and what engineering is required is very important, even at this very early stage of space flight.

I see space stations that are run by commercial industries that could serve all kinds of areas from recreational to manufacturing. Automated mining operations on the moon and asteroids managed by humans is quite feasible and even profitable. One story I read calculated that one asteroid can yield in excess of 10 billion in platinum alone.

I think NASA should concentrate on the mechanics of survivability in space then turn this information over to the private sector to make it profitable.

Shea
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:25 AM
You know it's a false dilemma though Dirk. That is the argument that certain politicians want to make, however the government cannot "put people to work" or "feed everyone" with destroying something in the first place.

Certain capital investments for spaceflight (aka the highway) can only be made by government (unfortunately). No private enterprise can dump $17 billion into say plasma propulsion without a guarantee to their shareholders that it will pay off. Science, as you know, is all about having a theory, trying it out, and if something profitable comes out of it, awesome. If not, you move on to the next trail of breadcrumbs and see where that leads. That view really doesn't work for private sector ROI-centric thinking.

As the technology for spaceflight becomes more accessible and cheap to produce, the private sector will slowly see the profitability of doing something in space. Be it orbital manufacturing facilities, asteroid mining or just plain ol' tourism. Once that "critical mass" is achieved, I think we will see an explosion in man's presence in space.

McVaaahhh
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Welcome to Buy-n-large

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3l4Vx3ez5lI/SMgZQRcgN8I/AAAAAAAAADg/SptBsNLWZrU/s320/axiom.jpg

dirkterrell
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Just came across a nice passage from Sagan's book "The Dragons of Eden":

While more rather than less knowledge and intelligence seems so clearly the only way out of our present difficulties and the only aperture to a significant future for mankind (or indeed to any future at all), this is not a view always adopted in practice.

Governments often lose sight of the difference between short-term and long-term benefits. The most important practical benefits have come about from the most unlikely and apparently impractical scientific advances. Radio is today not only the prime channel in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, it is the means by which emergencies are responded to, news is transmitted, telephone calls relayed and global entertainment aired. Yet radio came about because a Scottish physicist, James Clerk Maxwell, invented a term, which he called the displacement current, in a set of partial differential equations now known as Maxwell’s equations. He proposed the displacement current essentially because the equations were aesthetically-more appealing with it than without it.

The universe is intricate and elegant. We wrest secrets from nature by the most unlikely routes. Societies will, of course, wish to exercise prudence in deciding which technologies-that is, which applications of science-are to be pursued and which not. But without funding basic research, without supporting the acquisition of knowledge for its own sake, our options become dangerously limited. Only one physicist in a thousand need stumble upon something like the displacement current to make the support of all thousand a superb investment for society. Without vigorous, farsighted and continuing encouragement of fundamental scientific research, we are in the position of eating our seed corn: we may fend off starvation for one more winter, but we have removed the last hope of surviving the following winter.

Dirk

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Dirk
Absolutely. There is a lot of relevant stuff to be learned.