PDA

View Full Version : Why in the hell are Oakley Frogskins so pricey?

Devaclis
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I am looking to get a pair and they are going for $90-$200 on eGay!! WTF mate?

~Barn~
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM
It's probably because it's a discontinued model, and one of the first that really started putting Oakley on the map. Then again, $90 is not that bad, especially if they're collectable at all.
I think they went for about $100 when they were selling new. :dunno:

If you're looking for a Frogskin'esq pair, consider a new model they recently rolled out, called the Jupiter. They are about the closest thing I've seen them make in awhile, that retro's-back to the look of the Frogskins.

http://mi.oakley.com/images/catalog/generated/800x650/bd/499c67b33534e.jpg?1234987259

McVaaahhh
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I had a pair of Frogskins back in Jr. High.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Well I'll be damned.... They actually have a limited addition run of two color-schemes, in what they call "4-legged Frogskins (http://oakley.com/pd/6221/22760)"

Devaclis
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I will just get some Ray Bans. I am gonna need them when I land my jet on that aircraft carrier and hit the showers with a few of my closest buds.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM
They are all sold out now, but Oakley looks like they had previously done a Limited Edition run of (some rather ugly) Frogskins.

http://oakley.com/category/1269

McVaaahhh
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Mumbos were the shit.

dirkterrell
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Half Jackets FTW!

Dirk

Shea
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I will just get some Ray Bans. I am gonna need them when I land my jet on that aircraft carrier and hit the showers with a few of my closest buds.

???? Turning all "danger zone" on us Dana?

GixxerCarrie
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I think you should get red...they will go with your pants from last night. Spidey!

salsashark
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Oakleys are and always have been overpriced and overrated...

I've always been prone to migraines when outside on a bright day w/o eye protection... I used to wear Oakleys, but everytime I'd try to get them warrantied they were the worst company to deal with... I think I might still have a pair of e-wires floating around somewhere.

Screw 'em, there are tons of sunglass companies out there that make a quality product for much less expensive.

Mother Goose
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Oakleys are and always have been overpriced and overrated...

I've always been prone to migraines when outside on a bright day w/o eye protection... I used to wear Oakleys, but everytime I'd try to get them warrantied they were the worst company to deal with... I think I might still have a pair of e-wires floating around somewhere.

Screw 'em, there are tons of sunglass companies out there that make a quality product for much less expensive.
Really? I've never had a problem w/ their warranty department. I had a paid that for some reason, I'd keep sitting on them and breaking the frames. I'd send them in and they'd send me new frames w/ no problems. My new glasses, I haven't had any problems with, so I haven't had to deal with them in the last 5 or so years.

puckstr
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Gargoyles were the shit
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/coolshadesonline_1616_26107

Vance
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I LOVED my Frogskin and Frogskin II's when I had them... unfortunately I lost my last pair and then they went off and discontinued them.

Moved on to the Juliets now for regular wear --- those things just MOLD to the face so nicely!

I also have a pair of their Splice for when I'm riding w/ the helmet (seem to be basically plastic versions of the Juliets to me)...

They are DEEPLY overpriced - but they have always been the BEST quality lenses (though I'm STILL pissed they discontinued the red polarized lenses - made my Juliets look identical to Cyclopse's glasses in X-Men), longest lasting, best built sunglasses I've ever owned. I'd not trade them back for Ray Bans for any reason.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I've been a lifelong customer of them as well, and every interaction I've had with warranty repairs or even out-of-warranty work, has been pleasant.

As a matter of fact, I just did (what was then my 3rd) lense replacement and frame tune on some Juliets that I've had for about 10 years. Just like all the times before, the glasses came back like they were brand new. All the bushings and rubber pieces were replaced. Obviously the lenses were brand new. The frames were taken appart, and all the connecting gromets were swapped.

I summarily dropped them onto the concrete (lense first) on day number 5 of my new ownership. One lense took the impact and got chipped to high-hell. I called Oakley and explained, and they looked up my history. Seeing as how they were *Just* in for service, the kid on the other end pulled some strings and agreed to replace both lenses (again) for what they call their "processing fee", and not the $100 that the lenses typically cost, and that I had just paid. They are even going to mail me back the "good lense", since it is effectively brand new, incase I ever need it.

+1 for Oakley. :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Oakleys have been way overpriced for many years now. I got one of the first pair in the early '80's, and they were pretty out there for the time, but they were really no more than a really thick dirtbike lens with a frame around it. You could get colored frames after the first year or so, but at first only one color (smoke) lens at first also. They were pretty reasonably-priced at the time (maybe $40), but as soon as they became fashion statements (like helmets and THEIR prices), they've been unreasonable and I haven't wasted money on them in probably 15 years. $20 Foster Grants from Wal-Mart FTW! The optics are just as good, and they're disposable.:)

I won't pay extra for "fashion".....just look at my mullet as proof!:)

~Barn~
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I think their glasses (at least the ones that I've bought), are worth the price premium. Less for the fashion aspect, but more because they seem to be a quality product, that the company stands behind.

Now their wrist-watches on the other hand.... That's another another story! I don't know who in their right mind would pay $725 for a rather pedestrian-looking Oakley watch (http://oakley.com/pd/5693/19151).

McVaaahhh
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
:imwithstupid:

They should stick to glasses.

Tag Heuer FTW!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I think their glasses (at least the ones that I've bought), are worth the price premium. Less for the fashion aspect, but more because they seem to be a quality product, that the company stands behind.

Now their wrist-watches on the other hand.... That's another another story! I don't know who in their right mind would pay $725 for a rather pedestrian-looking Oakley watch (http://oakley.com/pd/5693/19151).
Well, when they sell sunglasses for $500.......
They are pretty good quality, but coming from the manufacturing field I can get a pretty accurate guess on what it'd cost to make them, and it's nowhere near $100, let alone $500. Same thing for helmets. When they started doing the fancy ones, and instead of simple protection they became fashion statements, the same thing happened with prices. The frames aren't quite as nice, and they're not as "cool", but the optics are just as good with the F/G's, so I'll stick with them.:)

Devaclis
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Most of the new Oakleys remind me of NASCAR and mullets. I don't care if you have on Skiis, a surfboard, an AK-47, or or a pair of Zubas, you still look like a redneck to me

http://www.goodlookin.tv/news/zubaz_ful.jpg

Mother Goose
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Well, when they sell sunglasses for $500.......
They are pretty good quality, but coming from the manufacturing field I can get a pretty accurate guess on what it'd cost to make them, and it's nowhere near $100, let alone $500. Same thing for helmets. When they started doing the fancy ones, and instead of simple protection they became fashion statements, the same thing happened with prices. The frames aren't quite as nice, and they're not as "cool", but the optics are just as good with the F/G's, so I'll stick with them.:)
They sell glasses for $500?? Please tell me those are the mp3 ones! :lol: I bought my Gascans maybe 2 years ago and paid $80.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM
They sell glasses for $500?? Please tell me those are the mp3 ones! :lol: I bought my Gascans maybe 2 years ago and paid $80.
I saw some in my Chapparal catalog for that. They make 'em.:shocked:

Matty
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hahaha... i still have my Mambo frames. I even have 2 sets of switchable nose and ear sleeves.

Zanos
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I used to spend more on the 15-20+ glasses that would last a week or two and then break. Having to buy another 15-20 dollar pair.

Oakley's have never been an issue for me. One of the few glasses that will not break, have the lense fall out, have the ear pieced break... etc.

Use them all the time and have been taken care of.

eklew
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Razor Blades FTW!!!