PDA

View Full Version : Dog Health

64BonnieLass
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Zeus'y boy is showing significant signs of slowing down. I noticed a change in one week. Today...I noticed another change..just from yesterday to today.

He is sooooo slow, no signs of "perk" at all. He tries to wag his tail for me but, I really think he's just doing it to reasure me he's hangin in there.

He is hydrating and eating. But no spark left in him. He took a snack and ate it, but did not "ask" for it as he normally does.

He is not "failing" yet. Still walking and moving, but ever so cautiously. And he did get on the couch which is a big leap for his slow mood.

Foolish question or not...do I take him to the vet minana and be super sensitive mom, or do I wait until further signs of failure?

I guess I know the answer in my heart, but my heart is a little cracked right now so I'm trying to make sure I'm not being toooooo "on guard" if you will.

Damn it!!!!!!

GixxerCarrie
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
We don't have kids Teri..they are the closest to it. Just ran into some of that with my greyhound...was more to do with incontience. Took her in any way. Piece of mind and knowing you did all you can means alot. Just my 2 cents.

64BonnieLass
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
God is pissing me off right now. I don't want to do this again. I'm not ready. I'm not ready. I need him.

asp_125
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
+1 Not only for your peace of mind but there may be something the vet can tell and treat, or at least make him feel better.

64BonnieLass
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM
He did "fail" in November. Joe helped me get him in the car to go to ER. He was dehydrated and they ran every test with no result, was all they could tell me for $3000.

I guess I knew then it was the beginning of the end. I chalked it up to one incident. He's been spry since for an old boy. And since that fail, he has taken food and hydration perfectly. And he asks for snacks every night until two days ago.

Now...I don't know what now.

GixxerCarrie
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I know how you feel...I need mine too! I'm there if ya need me girly!

King Nothing
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I don't know what to tell you to do, Terri. If you need help, you know you can call anytime.

64BonnieLass
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I am wavering between crying my ass off and being strong so he can't tell I'm upset. I don't want him to witness me cry. It's just more upsetting to him now.

Terri FAIL.

I love him soooo much. I think I'm watching him pass tonight or this weekend. I hope not. Something is sooo wrong now, but not total failure.

I KNOW my boys. I know his mannerisms. He won't even respond to his bumm being scratched which he normally loves.

It hurts so bad. And I'm so torn.

Maybe he will bounce back in the morning and it will all be okay for us.

GixxerCarrie
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'll be hopin for you!

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Is he acting like he is in pain at all?

I don't know the whole situation, but from the sounds of it...taking him to the vet may be equally therapeutic to you as it is to him. When the lil' guy is all ya have, you want to be able to do the best for him that you can. Whatever decision you make, just make sure that you won't feel worse about it in the end. Best of luck m'dear!

64BonnieLass
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Zeus is a 12 year old Black Lab. He is ALLLLL MAN. He does not, nor has he ever, shown a sign of weakness in any capacity. He's a lover though.

He protected Prince Tyler against my other black lab, Whister, when whistler went after Tyler due to cancer.

This lil man, has never had an issue of any kind with me, any other dog (except jackass Whistler) or with the neices and nephews. No illnesses, infections, or any other dang medical issue.

He will defend to the death, but will love with all of his heart.

He is very kind and loving and pure and full of heart, but he does not put up with BS and he is soooo strong.

He won't show me the signs of hurting because that's just him, is my point. He is so strong and such a lil MAN.

Breaks my heart even more to lose him. He won't show me!!!!!!

I can't explain it. you just have to know him. He won't show me. He's protecting me I think.

longrider
Thu Apr 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I just went through this with my cat, and i would take him to the vet. It may be something there is treatment for, and if not and his quality of life is that poor then euthanasia is the final mercy for your pet. Just be there with him so he feels the comfort of your hand andhears your voice, and remember he will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm)

Bueller
Fri May 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM
Sorry to hear Ter, hopefully he is just under the weather and will bounce right back. LMK if you need anything.

dirkterrell
Fri May 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM
I hope he's ok. As Dave says, maybe he's just under the weather a little. Jupiter gets that way occasionally and he is not himself for a day or two. Chasing grizzlies out of the yard can wear down even a 20lb Pekingese. :) Even dogs with the proper personality to be named after the mythological leaders of the gods have a bad day now and then. :)

A friend of mine has a Malamute that started showing lethargic behavior like that. Turns out she developed a thyroid problem that was easily treated with medicine.

Dirk

bulldog
Fri May 1st, 2009, 07:50 AM
Yeah take him in Teri and see if there is anything the vet can do. I feel so bad right now because I am such a dog lover. My bulldog is 11 and I have seen a huge slow down too :( It's so hard, but we are all here for you. Keep us updated.

Not sure of the situation, but I got my dog on glucostimine tablets and it really helped his stiff bones. It's worth a try and you can even get it at Wal-Mart pet section for pretty cheap.

= Buckeye Jess =
Fri May 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM
How's he doing this morning Terri??? If he is the same or worse, I personally would take him in - but again...that's just me.
Hope all is much improved! *big hugs*

SumoWeezle
Fri May 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM
Sorry to hear that Terri. :( If you need anything just let me know!

Snowman
Fri May 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Take him to the Vet. It is always better to get as many facts about what is going on as possible. If it’s something minor then no more worries, something more then you can do something about it.

Besides what dog doesn’t like a car ride?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2233/2271473821_490f33c1ca.jpg

dirkterrell
Fri May 1st, 2009, 09:24 AM
Besides what dog doesn’t like a car ride?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2233/2271473821_490f33c1ca.jpg

Only a motorcyclist understands why dogs love to stick their heads out of car windows.

Dirk

Snowman
Fri May 1st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Yes I do...
Because I do the exact same thing when I ride in the car…

dapper
Fri May 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM
Zeus'y boy is showing significant signs of slowing down. I noticed a change in one week. Today...I noticed another change..just from yesterday to today.
I have something that helps.

God is pissing me off right now. I don't want to do this again. I'm not ready. I'm not ready. I need him.
Avoid the blame game. Dogs live a shorter life, maybe because they already understand how to love and their is no 'wonder' what their purpose in life really is.

He did "fail" in November. Joe helped me get him in the car to go to ER. He was dehydrated and they ran every test with no result, was all they could tell me for $3000.

Seek a Holistic Veterinarian. Here's one example: link (http://www.holisticcareforanimals.com/id11.html)
Putting our beloved companions on a natural (raw) diet does wonders for them.

Maybe he will bounce back in the morning and it will all be okay for us.
Live in the moment & choose wisely. Dogs read energy, so become happy.

Zeus is a 12 year old Black Lab. He is ALLLLL MAN. He does not, nor has he ever, shown a sign of weakness in any capacity. He's a lover though.
Slowing down a bit is normal compared to a 12 week old.

I
A friend of mine has a Malamute that started showing lethargic behavior like that. Turns out she developed a thyroid problem that was easily treated with medicine.
Unfortunately, a pill for an ill is the standard for most DVM's too.
Some DVM's ram shots on our pets like it's the only choice for us. Check this link (http://www.news.wisc.edu/8413) out.
The media has even call the Swine Flu a disease. ha...hardly

Take him to the Vet. It is always better to get as many facts about what is going on as possible. If it’s something minor then no more worries, something more then you can do something about it. Besides what dog doesn’t like a car ride?
Focus on the results we want to get the change we desire.
Holistic is the vet for this...but I have something that will help too. Vet approved, clinically and scientifically proven. You have my number.

Oh, read the book 'See Spot Live Longer' by Steve Brown & Beth Taylor :up:

dirkterrell
Fri May 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately, a pill for an ill is the standard for most DVM's too.

It worked and the dog is back to her happy self.

Dirk

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri May 1st, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hey Terri, so sorry to hear it, I know how much they mean to you and hope he (and you) gets better soon.

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

64BonnieLass
Fri May 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Thank you all for the concern and comments and suggestions. I was super hyper-upset last night. But, I freeked out over Tyler too so guess that's just me with my puppies. :cry: Oh, for the love of dogs.

Zeus is dragging tail today. Although he did eat and drink. But it took an act of strong will to get him up off the floor and down the stairs this morning.

My vet can't take him until 9am Sat, so I will take him then and they are prepared to run bloodwork and any other test necessary. Let the $$$ games begin. Worth every penny though.

Until then, I will just lay with him and monitor him closely. I'll let you know what the results are.

t_jolt
Fri May 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Terri, give the dog some childern's Tylenol. Also for food, brown up some hamburger and rice. Feed that to him, make him a couple meal's like for the next couples days. See if that helps at all. When my dog was on his way out, those meals gave him enough energy to last 3 more months.

Vehicle 1
Fri May 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
My vet can't take him until 9am Sat...

I think we have the same vet still Terri, she is awesome! Please let me know if you would like help getting the dog there or whatever...

TurboGizzmo
Fri May 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM
I know what you're going through.....my dog has run up a pretty good bill, but I was scared into getting heath insurance when I got her so that has helped with some of the paying.

I got her with my gf at the time and we racked up over 10k in bills (which i am still paying on) to give the dog a better life because she was adopted....looking back on it now I am not sure if it was foolish or smart since now with the gf gone I am fully in charge of all the expenses but of course I know she (my dog) will never leave me and always be there for me when i need to talk soooo she is still around and worth the cost I've paid (and still paying)

I cant make the choice for you, but if your dog is young still and you can afford then perhaps it worth it....if the dog is older and in pain then perhaps the humain thing is to seek a different option.....this was the advise i was given so just passing it along....

TFOGGuys
Fri May 1st, 2009, 12:43 PM
Terri, my heart goes out to you, as we lost our eldest in November:(. My sister and brother in law are both Veterinarians, so if you need anything, please feel free to give me a call.

dallas
Fri May 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
After watching my dog go down hill in a hurry and eventually having to put her down, I know how you feel. Hope everything works out for you. I always hate to hear about a four legged family member in this situation.

~Barn~
Fri May 1st, 2009, 01:17 PM
My heart goes out to you, Terri. =\

64BonnieLass
Fri May 1st, 2009, 01:36 PM
Also for food, brown up some hamburger and rice. Feed that to him, make him a couple meal's like for the next couples days.

They already eat better then I do. Peas and carrots and duck and buffalo. It's crazy. :) I will sure see if it helps though. Thank you. I'm going to hold off on the pills though until after blood work comes back.

I think we have the same vet still Terri, she is awesome! Please let me know if you would like help getting the dog there or whatever...

I told ya. She rocks. I'm glad you and Lola ended up liking her. And I'd rather make the drive for her, then go to someone who is closer and I don't trust.

And thank you for the offer. As long as I can get his front paws into the back of the truck, then I can lift his rump up the rest of the way. I just had to fall in love with the large breed dogs. ;)

64BonnieLass
Thu May 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Zeus'y Boy update.
Blood work came back earlier in the week.
She said Zeus has large lymph nodes and had a very high liver enzyme number on the blood work. So he is on antibiotics to first rule out any kind of systemic infection before we determine if it's possibly cancer.

She called back, and also wants me to walk with him in the morning and "capture" his pee. Um, yea!!!!! :up: ("hey Zeus'y Boy, can you pee into this baggy for me") Dear Lawd this outta be fun!! :lol:

salsashark
Thu May 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Zeus'y Boy update.
Blood work came back earlier in the week.
She said Zeus has large lymph nodes and had a very high liver enzyme number on the blood work. So he is on antibiotics to first rule out any kind of systemic infection before we determine if it's possibly cancer.

She called back, and also wants me to walk with him in the morning and "capture" his pee. Um, yea!!!!! :up: ("hey Zeus'y Boy, can you pee into this baggy for me") Dear Lawd this outta be fun!! :lol:

My vet suggested using one of those large cheapo plastic containers to catch a sample the last time my puppy was sick...

good luck... hoping everything turns out ok...