PDA

View Full Version : Let's Send Rybo to the Miller Superbike Challenge

dirkterrell
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Ok, after seeing the response to my How Many CSCers Has Rybo Helped (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31269) thread and talking to Scott, I thought it would be cool for the CSC to help Scott get to do a race this year since his season was cancelled due to his getting laid off and he recently had twin boys born prematurely.

People that know Scott will know that he was very humbled by the response to that thread and that he feels much more comfortable helping people than being helped. He'll just have to get over it because it's time for his friends to do something for him. :)

After talking to him, here's what we're going to do. He has registered to ride in the Miller Superbike Challenge during WSBK weekend at the end of the month and he is seeking other sponsorship but I'm betting the CSC can come through. Here are his estimated expenses:

MRA Race License ($150)
2-3 sets of tires ($750-$1000)
10 gallons race gas ($180)
Travel to/from Miller ($225)

So we need $1300-$1550 to get it done. I've got $200 I'll throw down on the table right now. When I confirm his PayPal info I'll post it up. If you can help, post up or PM me if you want to keep it private. I'll also cover all the PayPal expenses so that every penny you contribute will go to doing this for Scott.

He told me:

I am seeking other sponsorship as well, but would love the support of the CSC for this event. In return I will have decals made ALA kenny roberts style (http://www.teamkr.com/index.cfm?p=bikestickers) with my sponsors spelled out using the screen names of anyone who donates.

I told him that, as far as I was concerned, all I needed was a picture of the smile on his face after the race. Let's make this happen for one of our own.

Dirk

jplracing
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Rebellion is in for a $100

TFOGGuys
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Get me a paypal address, and I can cover his race fuel!

Vehicle 1
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have a $75 spot...

konichd
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Count Wade and I in as well :) Paypall address peaze, mkay, thnx

Pharmgirl
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Does he need pit crew? We are considering going out there and would love to help!

64BonnieLass
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
I'm in to cover his MRA Race License. $150 with or without umbrella. His call. :)

Smile Scottay:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/Hastings%207_08/HastingsMRARaces7_08020.jpg

= Buckeye Jess =
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'm in as soon as we get a Paypal addy!

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Count me in for a Paypal donation.

Player 2
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
If you want Scott's PayPal it's scott.rybarik (at) mac.com ;)

I'm in for a bill :up:

dirkterrell
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
If you want Scott's PayPal it's scott.rybarik (at) mac.com ;)

Might be better to wait to hear from Scott himself in case he wants it to go to a different account.

Dirk

Sean
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
I've got at least $0.35-$0.45 for him :slappers: :lol:

j/k I'll help throw whatever I can into the pot :up:

asp_125
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
I've haven't met Scott (yet) but he deserves what he's got coming to him, so I'm in as soon as we confirm on his paypal addy.

Tipys
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Sean is that 35 cents for every time he has helped you or anyone else for that matter. If so I think we could fund a Moto GP career for him.

jplracing
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Might be better to wait to hear from Scott himself in case he wants it to go to a different account.

Dirk

Not to mention Paypal is going to charge a fee for every donation ... so I am sure Scott can post up the best way to get him the help

rybo
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hi all,

First and foremost, thank you. I'm really touched by you all doing this to support my attempt to go racing with the bigger dogs.

I'd like to keep the business and my personal stuff separate, so if you want to paypal something my way please use

scott.rybarik (at) mac.com

If you want to provide some other method of support I'll be at some of the local festivities in coming days. I'll be at Gibby's tomorrow (may 3) for the Youngblood Moto GP event, I'm going to try to be at the race at HPR for a little while on Sunday to cheer on some of my friends and I'll be at the trackday on May 11, hopefully riding as much as possible to blow the cobwebs out.

I'm completely overwhelmed by this whole thing. Thank you.

Scott

BeoBe
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
I really wish i had the money to help out but times are hard right now..

green_zx7r
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Funds sent to Mr. Ducati. Go kick some ass my friend.

Yusuke

Archangel
Sat May 2nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
http://www.superbikechallenge.com/roster/

rybo
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Hey everyone,

I made the first cut with some REALLY fast people.

Thank you for all of the support!

Scott

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Hey everyone,

Scott

Congrats Scott!

dm_gsxr
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Since you won't take money for helping move, I'm in for a few bucks too.

Carl

Filo
Mon May 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Count me in too.

kawasakirob
Mon May 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'm in for a few bucks.
Kick some ass Rybo

CurtisRR
Mon May 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Hey everyone,

Scott

Hey Scott, that is so great to hear.

Funds are incredibly tight at the moment with this move and well no employment. If there is anything else I can do to help please let me know. Also come race time my CO home should be sold so I might be able to do more.

Cheers!

Archangel
Mon May 4th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I've got the lodging covered, and probably transportation to/from the track! Can't wait to see you Scott, I'll try and buy chocolates for your pillows...

TFOGGuys
Tue May 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Money for race fuel sent...:)

dirkterrell
Tue May 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I just sent my promised contribution. Good luck out there Scott!

Dirk

rybo
Tue May 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
All I can say is thank you to everyone who has already stepped up to support this effort. The other names on this list are a bunch of really fast people, but what they don't know is that I will have the oldest bike on the grid, the one with the most experience to show them how to go around the track! :D

Thank you very much.

scott

Tipys
Tue May 5th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Some funds sent your way. Enjoy your race scott.

green_zx7r
Tue May 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM
All I can say is thank you to everyone who has already stepped up to support this effort. The other names on this list are a bunch of really fast people, but what they don't know is that I will have the oldest bike on the grid, the one with the most experience to show them how to go around the track! :D

Thank you very much.

scott

Shoots Scott,
Your bike maybe slightly out dated, but it's got your and everyone's heart and soul fueling it to add another 50 HP to your bike. You'll blitz the field! :)

If it helps, I'll go add sugar in other racers tanks right before the race. :slappers:

peteremsley
Tue May 5th, 2009, 06:56 PM
... The other names on this list are a bunch of really fast people, but what they don't know is that I will have the oldest bike on the grid, the one with the most experience to show them how to go around the track! :D

Thank you very much.

scott
Nothing wrong with a 748! I think they're dreamy around corners. I wish I could race mine.

I'm in for a few $ and a tee shirt :up: Good luck.

Sean
Thu May 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM
$$ sent :up:

Kick the snot out of those guys Scott! Wish it could be more, but hopefully it helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

CBRSue
Fri May 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I sent some $$ too. :)

dm_gsxr
Fri May 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Rita and I emptied the change jar. Hope it helps and have a good time at the Challenge.

Carl

dirkterrell
Tue May 19th, 2009, 09:59 PM
How are we doing, Scott?

Dirk

Nerves
Tue May 19th, 2009, 10:17 PM
OMG, is your number 69? That's awesome. Does anyone know if this race will be televised anywhere?

Sean
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Haven't heard much from Rybo.
Did we get enough? Is he going?
Is the competition trembling with fear, like little girls who just realized that there is no "free candy" in the back of this van?

rybo
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Hi everyone,

Getting ready for this has been a dead sprint, especially since I broke rule 1 at Pueblo.

THANK YOU to everyone who contributed, it didn't quite cover 100% of the costs, but honestly it's the best sponsorship I've ever had. The bike is loaded, I'm packing gear right now and should be on the road by 10:00 AM. I will post pictures and updates from the event.

I'm completely touched that each of you has reached out in some way to help make this happen, either with your words of encouragement, fixing and painting plastics or the emergency fuel tank gasket run.

As of today there are 41 names on a list for 40 spots on a grid. I'm counting on the trusty Ducati to carry my through qualifying.

Off to finish packing!

Scott

rybo
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:51 AM
OMG, is your number 69? That's awesome. Does anyone know if this race will be televised anywhere?

Hey,

yeah, that's my race number. Nicky Hayden finally took the clue and put it on a Ducati as well....

I don't think the race will be televised, but there may be a blurb about it during the WSBK races this weekend if they are on TV.

s

Sortarican
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Give 'em hell Scott!!!!:drink:

Sean
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:53 AM
You're gonna kick ass Scott!!!!!
Go get'um! :rock:

dirkterrell
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM
THANK YOU to everyone who contributed, it didn't quite cover 100% of the costs, but honestly it's the best sponsorship I've ever had. The bike is loaded, I'm packing gear right now and should be on the road by 10:00 AM. I will post pictures and updates from the event.

Excellent!!! Good luck, man. Give 'em hell!

Dirk

ZiaThunder
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Go Scott!!!

Good Luck..

asp_125
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Good luck Scott! No breaking rule #1 @ Miller, ok?

Kim-n-Dean
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I don't think the race will be televised, but there may be a blurb about it during the WSBK races this weekend if they are on TV.

sI hope the races are televised. We went out and bought a dish for the RV just in case. (we wanted one anyway)

Kim-n-Dean
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Looks like they are televised, but delayed. Superbike is on at 3:00 and race 2 at 4:00 on Sunday.

Supersport is televised on Tuesday.

Nick_Ninja
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I'll look you two up when I get there.

Nick_Ninja
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Excluding the :puke:

Kim-n-Dean
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Excluding the :puke:
Ooops, I was editing it and you posted and it disappeared...

Sean
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I think K/D & N_N should be Rybo's "special" pit crew. Your job will be to get all of the other racers together the night before for "a few celebration drinks". Then, drink them under the table so badly that they can hardly function the next day. Half of them can't make it out of pit row, the other half pull over after the chicane to puke. What do you know, Rybo wins! :lol:

Kristian
Wed May 27th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Good luck Scott, see you out there!!!

konichd
Wed May 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Go get em Scott! :)

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Wed May 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Good Luck Scott!

eklew
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Update: Rybo, Filo, and I made it to Utah today and met up with irDave. We are headed to the track in the morning to get things set up and ready to go!!!!

Sortarican
Thu May 28th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Update: Rybo, Filo, and I made it to Utah today and met up with irDave. We are headed to the track in the morning to get things set up and ready to go!!!!

Take/post lot's of pictures!

Dave
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM
The schedule shows practice and qualifying is on tomorrow for the GTU racers- enjoy and good luck Scott!

Vehicle 1
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
cool stuff guys... keep us posted!

64BonnieLass
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Good luck...and please, please, please give Dave a big ol smooch from me. Tell him I really miss him. Dangit...just kiss him for me Eldon. If he closes his eyes and imagines it's from a girl it will be okay. Dooo eeettt!!!

Oh and punch Adam in the arm for me. If he imagines it came from a girl, he will like it.

eklew
Thu May 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Here are some pics from a very long day today!!!

eklew
Thu May 28th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Some more!

Cars-R-Coffins
Thu May 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Someone be sure to get Scott's picture as he accepts his trophy on the podium. Thx.

UglyDogRacing
Fri May 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=36730

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Fri May 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=36730

WOW!! Elena Myers...just 16. She is one badass young lady at #11 right now! For those that don't know of this girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CpOAODZbz8&fmt=18

http://www.elenamyers.com/

Scott told me he was hoping he wouldn't get lapped by her.

Good luck Scott!

64BonnieLass
Fri May 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Boy I'll say. She's a little spit fire. Good for her. :)

PinkGixx26
Fri May 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Go get 'em Scott!! WOOHOO!

rybo
Sat May 30th, 2009, 12:08 AM
HOLY #HI* these people are fast.

I was in a fast section of the track today when Ms. Myers went by me. As I clicked up into 5th gear and thought I was going pretty fast, suddenly the boat anchor deployed and I felt like I was standing still.

As of right now I'm on the grid....final qualifying tomorrow. After surveying the rest of the field I'm certain that my bike is BY FAR the oldest one here (probably by about 10 years) and I'm giving up over 20MPH at the end of the front straight.

I'm pretty sure I'll make the final grid, but there are no delusions of grandeur here, It's going to be everything I've got to finish not last.

That being said, I'm having a blast and it's incredibly cool to see how much real talent there is out there. I'll probably never get to share the stage with riders of this level ever again, so I'll enjoy my moment in the sun.

Speaking of sun, if you could all do a little rain dance for me around 4:00 PM tomorrow I would really appreciate it. Rain is the great equalizer and I'm matching corner speed with all but the very fastest riders here. If horsepower could become less of an issue, I would do much better at this event. Rain would make horsepower less of an issue.....

Having a blast....here are some pictures of the pit crew hard at work.

Thank you all for the support!

Scott

rybo
Sat May 30th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Pictures!

dirkterrell
Sat May 30th, 2009, 06:55 AM
It's going to be everything I've got to finish not last.

Where you finish is not important... Hey, you could be in my position, down on talent and horsepower. :)

That being said, I'm having a blast and it's incredibly cool to see how much real talent there is out there. I'll probably never get to share the stage with riders of this level ever again, so I'll enjoy my moment in the sun.

THIS is what is important. :up:

Dirk

Nick_Ninja
Sat May 30th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Jump on your scoot and get out here. If you leave now you will make pgrid tomorrow :D

= Buckeye Jess =
Sat May 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
It is awesome to hear you are having a great time Scott - that is the important part!!!
I'll be more than happy to send all of our rain from here back over to you guys, we've been drowning up here at the site. =)
Have a blast and good luck!!!! *big hugs*

Sortarican
Sat May 30th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Glad to hear everything is going OK Scott.
Don't worry about where you finish, just finish.

BTW, I forgot to tell you that the patch with the washer on the faring needed to be drilled out.
Looks like you figured that out though, hope it didn't cause you too much hassle.

Looking forward to seeing more pics and posts of how the race went.
Keeping my fingers crossed for some rain to come your way.
Have fun and be safe.

dirkterrell
Sat May 30th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Jump on your scoot and get out here. If you leave now you will make pgrid tomorrow :D

I wish I could. :cry:

Dirk

Dave
Sat May 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=36754 (http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=36754)

Wow, the power of the CSC: “wet then dry conditions”

How did Scott do this morning at the second qualifying practice?

:confused:

Nick_Ninja
Sat May 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
The race, lightning and all, was AWESOME !!!

64BonnieLass
Sat May 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM
The race, lightning and all, was AWESOME !!!

Hi hunny. Glad you made it safely. Thinkin of ya though. Hope everyone stays safe and has a great time.

Nick_Ninja
Sat May 30th, 2009, 10:09 PM
You guys ALL need to make it out here next year. Watch for us on TV! I'll be hanging in the Black Rock camp with K&D :D

rybo
Sat May 30th, 2009, 11:23 PM
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=36754 (http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=36754)

Wow, the power of the CSC: “wet then dry conditions”

How did Scott do this morning at the second qualifying practice?

:confused:

QP went OK and after a little negotiation was able to get on the grid for the start.

The weather was truly weird. At our start time there was rain and I was doing the dance of joy. The officials had not yet declared a "wet race" so we weren't permitted to enter the track on rain tires. We had them ready to go. The race was delayed for 20 minutes, and then we started going. We were still on the dry tires and I did one sighting lap and it was freakin' scary. Went sliding all over in the Blackrock corner, and decided it was going to be rain tires for me.

I pulled into the pits and the guys were set to do the swap. A few minutes later I went back out on course (-1 lap and in last position) on the rain tires. For 3 to 4 laps this was the ultimate choice. The back side of the track was pretty wet and the tires worked great. Just as I was starting to make a lot of ground on a few of the guys the track dried out and then went all dry. I was nearly 1/2 race distance at this point and if I made another tire swap it was going to be tragic, so I stayed out on the rains.

Needless to say, rain tires don't like dry conditions very much, but I was still making pretty good time on them. The fastest guys caught up and passed me (again) without incident and I finished the race in the 34th of 36 positions.

This was an outstanding experience and I am extremely thankful for all the support from this club to help make it happen. I am an old slow guy on an old slow bike who will probably never have an opportunity like this ever again. Thanks to many of you I was able to participate. Thank you.

Scott

cromer611
Sat May 30th, 2009, 11:52 PM
QP went OK and after a little negotiation was able to get on the grid for the start.

The weather was truly weird. At our start time there was rain and I was doing the dance of joy. The officials had not yet declared a "wet race" so we weren't permitted to enter the track on rain tires. We had them ready to go. The race was delayed for 20 minutes, and then we started going. We were still on the dry tires and I did one sighting lap and it was freakin' scary. Went sliding all over in the Blackrock corner, and decided it was going to be rain tires for me.

I pulled into the pits and the guys were set to do the swap. A few minutes later I went back out on course (-1 lap and in last position) on the rain tires. For 3 to 4 laps this was the ultimate choice. The back side of the track was pretty wet and the tires worked great. Just as I was starting to make a lot of ground on a few of the guys the track dried out and then went all dry. I was nearly 1/2 race distance at this point and if I made another tire swap it was going to be tragic, so I stayed out on the rains.

Needless to say, rain tires don't like dry conditions very much, but I was still making pretty good time on them. The fastest guys caught up and passed me (again) without incident and I finished the race in the 34th of 36 positions.

This was an outstanding experience and I am extremely thankful for all the support from this club to help make it happen. I am an old slow guy on an old slow bike who will probably never have an opportunity like this ever again. Thanks to many of you I was able to participate. Thank you.

Scott

you rock scott : ) wish i was out there too. hopefully will someday. lucky dog you! : )

asp_125
Sun May 31st, 2009, 12:06 AM
I'm pretty sure I'll make the final grid, but there are no delusions of grandeur here, It's going to be everything I've got to finish not last.

..... I finished the race in the 34th of 36 positions.

Scott

Sounds like you accomplished your objective of not being DFL and having your moment in the sun! :up:

Even though you didn't podium it sounds like a winning race to me.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun May 31st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Nice work Scott! Glad you got to give it a go.

sugarrey
Sun May 31st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hell yeah RYBO

konichd
Sun May 31st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Scott, even though the weather didn't play into your favor this is going to be a great experience you'll remember for yours. AWESOME job! ;)

y_merkle
Sun May 31st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Way to go! You are inspiring!

JPrider
Sun May 31st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Congrats Scott...that's an awesome experience.

sprtbkbabe
Sun May 31st, 2009, 05:53 PM
You guys ALL need to make it out here next year. Watch for us on TV! I'll be hanging in the Black Rock camp with K&D :D

Jeff, I was really looking for you... but only when they showed the Umbrella girls? What? Lost the Mojo? :drink:

sprtbkbabe
Sun May 31st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Congrats Scott...that's an awesome experience.

:imwithstupid::cheers:

dirkterrell
Sun May 31st, 2009, 07:55 PM
:up: Glad you had fun, man!

Dirk

Nick_Ninja
Sun May 31st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Jeff, I was really looking for you... but only when they showed the Umbrella girls? What? Lost the Mojo? :drink:

Just you wait. I have the goods and will post up a mess of brolly girl pictures ----- with Nick as the man of honor. It will make Dana's kittah pictures look like a troll campaign. I just need to drive my camera home 550 miles and upload the photos. Doll Babies I say :twisted:

Sean
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM
Way to go Scott! You deserve it!

Sortarican
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
Congrat's Scott, glad you finished and had fun.

Spies Rocked the word. And gained a bunch of points on Haga.

But what was the deal with Hacking taking out his teamate?
(I smell a new "Kawisaki...it's Japanese for teamwork" poster coming soon.)

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Here you go:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/2009SBK/DSCN1164.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/2009SBK/DSCN1168.jpg

These poor girls :cry: The weather sucked on Saturday afternoon :down:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/2009SBK/DSCN1178.jpg

:twisted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/2009SBK/DSCN1195.jpg

I'm sorry --- what was this thread all about anyway :think:

Ahhhh yes .............................. THE MAN :up:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/2009SBK/DSCN1201.jpg

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM
From my initial post:

I told him that, as far as I was concerned, all I needed was a picture of the smile on his face after the race. Let's make this happen for one of our own.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/2009SBK/DSCN1201.jpg

Mission accomplished.

Dirk

green_zx7r
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 08:07 PM
Agreed with Dirk. Look at that man's smile!!! Scott, hope you had as much fun as we did sending you there. Now get back to changing diapers!!! :slappers:

Sean
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Mission accomplished.
:up: Best money I've ever spent.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 08:28 PM
Scott told me that he just lead the parade lap prior to this photo being taken. Now, I guess, you could say he has an *in* at Miller :up: Great job!