PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run

tec
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 05:05 AM
Thanks to a car sideswiping my back tire and sending myself and my bike cartwheeling down the road I am left without a bike. Is it that hard to pay attention when you are driving. To catch up with me and then change into my lane once you are even with me doesn't even make sense. I guess what gets me more is if you hit a rider and send him tumbling down the road, isn't it common sense to stop. Shit I don't want your insurance, I will use mine but atleast a sorry are you ok? but no, leave me for dead. Thankfully I came out ok. For all people driving vehicles, please pay more attention to your driving. Check a lane before changing, watch your mirrors, just flat out pay attention. Accidents do happen but this was just pure reckless retarded driving. If you own a white Pontiac and were the one who hit me, pm me and I have a lil gift for you.

For all riders, I hope this never happens to you. Have a great and safe summer riding.

daemon
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Wow!!!

glad you're relatively alright.

Sully
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
damn :( Sorry to hear this. Hope you are ok. Where did it happen ?

willb003
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
That does suck, sorry, at least you had insurance.

MVBrutaleRider
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
It fucking amazes me the level of inattention some people pay to driving. hell just the other day I was just about turned into a smear on the pavement on SB I-25 cuz some jackass was on the phone and almost sideswiped me. Fortunately the car on my right saw this and swerved out of my way and gave me an exit! Then the asshole has the nerve to flip me off like it was my fault! Whats more is there was a CSP car right behind me the whole time... saw everything. Guess what he did? Pulled up and passed me and waved!!!! needless to say there was a VERY angry complaint to CSP that day but i HIGHLY doubt it will go anywhere.

Glad to hear your still in once piece though. Im sorry to hear about your bike! shitty. Hopefully your insurance will take care of this but they arent in the business of paying claims so good luck.

- Justin

chad23
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
that sucks, glad you are ok.... all I got to say is get some metal ball bearings

mtnairlover
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Wow! Both your story and MVBrutale's is really scary to hear. Sorry to hear about the bike, but you're still around to talk about it, and that's the best news.

Inattentive drivers are growing this season...it's already happened to me a couple of times and that's quite a jump, considering I started riding almost 4 years ago and can only remember one time in the past 4 years having to deal with that.

asp_125
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Lots of fuckin idiot cagers out there. I started commuting with my Icon "crossing guard" yellow vest lately just to stay alive.

chad23
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Lots of fuckin idiot cagers out there. I started commuting with my Icon "crossing guard" yellow vest lately just to stay alive.
you lie, you like to wear that thing. you have alway wanted to be a crossing guard growing up

SaShWhO
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
UNFUCKINBELIEVABLE:shocked:
glad your intact.

gtn
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
I'm glad you lived to tell about it pretty much okay.

Some of them are militant.

Wednesday riding down Santa Fe to Bike Night this lady in an orange Jeep Liberty drove along the right side of Sumo and me. She starts coming toward our lane and then pulls back into her lane. So I start watching her face in her side mirror. Then she gets this determined look on her face and I just new what was coming next. On comes her left turn signal and here she comes. I rolled off the throttle and fell back. She pulled in between us with about half a bike length ahead and behind her. Then she starts slowing down. Within a block I had enough room to pass her on the right and get back up with Sumo. About another two blocks we stop at a light and she goes blazing up the left turn lane. Probably late for a beer.

Watch their faces.

dm_gsxr
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Damn, sorry to hear this. Hopefully the driver is caught.

Carl

sugarrey
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Yesterday I was driving down colfax in my car near my house, and where federal (i think) merges onto it there is a chic on a cell phone who I know wants to get over but refuses to put the cell phone down to turn her turn signal on. Just to annoy her I drive just close enough in my lane where it would be dangerous for her to cut over....So she drives all the way till she has to exit again and slams on the brakes and skids just a lil bit off the road....All that just because she wouldnt put the cell phone down.. all i have to say is

UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you cant do two things at once, your stupid......dont try!

PUT THE FUCKING CELL PHONE DOWN!!

Sorry to hear about that B.S. that is so lame!! Seems like there are more and more people like that out there these days! SAD

Mizzybeff
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
:shocked: OMG!! Im glad to hear ur ok sucks about the bike but so long as ur not hurt or dead thats the most important thing.

MVBrutaleRider
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Yesterday I was driving down colfax in my car near my house, and where federal (i think) merges onto it there is a chic on a cell phone who I know wants to get over but refuses to put the cell phone down to turn her turn signal on. Just to annoy her I drive just close enough in my lane where it would be dangerous for her to cut over....So she drives all the way till she has to exit again and slams on the brakes and skids just a lil bit off the road....All that just because she wouldnt put the cell phone down.. all i have to say is

UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you cant do two things at once, your stupid......dont try!

PUT THE FUCKING CELL PHONE DOWN!!

Sorry to hear about that B.S. that is so lame!! Seems like there are more and more people like that out there these days! SAD
I saw something the other day that I just had to take a second closer look....

a woman driving that didnt have a cell phone attached to her face. I couldnt believe it!

not chic bashing here... just speaking what everyone else is thinking...

- Justin

mtnairlover
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I saw something the other day that I just had to take a second closer look....

a woman driving that didnt have a cell phone attached to her face. I couldnt believe it!

not chic bashing here... just speaking what everyone else is thinking...

- Justin

Nope, not chic-bashing...but if you were thinking it, then that is stereo-typing. Actually, I saw just the opposite the other day and the guy on the cell was in his late 40's, early 50's, wearing a suit and just couldn't pay close enough attention to see that I was in the lane he wanted to get into. I swear, I'm gonna buy me a pair of fake boobies (even though I've got a real pair) to attach to the outside of my jacket, just to freak people out enough to make them want to look...sheesh!

daemon
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
are you bashing guys in their 40's????:scramble:

Nope, not chic-bashing...but if you were thinking it, then that is stereo-typing. Actually, I saw just the opposite the other day and the guy on the cell was in his late 40's, early 50's, wearing a suit and just couldn't pay close enough attention to see that I was in the lane he wanted to get into. I swear, I'm gonna buy me a pair of fake boobies (even though I've got a real pair) to attach to the outside of my jacket, just to freak people out enough to make them want to look...sheesh!

mtnairlover
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
are you bashing guys in their 40's????:scramble:

Of course I am, ya old fart! :lol:

Hey, people in their 40's who ride sport bikes don't get lumped in the same stereo-type, though...they're just a bunch'o crazy nutballs...:crazy:

dm_gsxr
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM

Damn, that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to chase down a pair for me too. And some pasties (wouldn't do to scare the kiddies). I wonder if they have fake old boobies that flop back under my arms.

Heck, fake boobie bike ride would be excellent.

Carl

mtnairlover
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Damn, that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to chase down a pair for me too. And some pasties (wouldn't do to scare the kiddies). I wonder if they have fake old boobies that flop back under my arms.

Carl

:spit:...OMG!

ChrisCBX
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks to a car sideswiping my back tire and sending myself and my bike cartwheeling down the road I am left without a bike. Is it that hard to pay attention when you are driving. To catch up with me and then change into my lane once you are even with me doesn't even make sense. I guess what gets me more is if you hit a rider and send him tumbling down the road, isn't it common sense to stop. Shit I don't want your insurance, I will use mine but atleast a sorry are you ok? but no, leave me for dead. Thankfully I came out ok. For all people driving vehicles, please pay more attention to your driving. Check a lane before changing, watch your mirrors, just flat out pay attention. Accidents do happen but this was just pure reckless retarded driving. If you own a white Pontiac and were the one who hit me, pm me and I have a lil gift for you.

For all riders, I hope this never happens to you. Have a great and safe summer riding.

Its good that you are OK. Sounds like a scary incident.

I blame a lot of the incidents and close calls on inattentive driving. I've been riding a long time and its gotten worse than ever the last few years with cell phones and especially now with texting.

I like the idea of using air horns. I hope to install them in my touring and daily rider bikes. Installed one in my current project bike. If necessary, it will get a driver's attention......

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/Cbxnut/AirHornFeb52009001.jpg

daemon
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM

Carl
LOL!!!!

= Buckeye Jess =
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Being on a Friday night... chances are high that the driver was wasted and didn't want to get nailed with a DUI or was so freaking blitzed that they didn't even know they came that close to effin' killing someone!
Did you get any further details on the Pontiac? Do you think there'd be any damage to it that would make it identifiable to anybody else?
Sorry this happened man... lemme know if we can do anything for ya!

Vehicle 1
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
HS... this is scary stuff:scream1:

Tipys
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Damn sucks to hear man. I am with Jess the driver was probably wasted.

But other note for drivers on cell phones that cut you off armored gloves and car mirrors mix very well.

daemon
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
But other note for drivers on cell phones that cut you off armored gloves and car mirrors mix very well.
ICON TI-MAX FTW!!!
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/2679/hpim1619uo8.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/daemon1965/illinois%20trip/HPIM1614.jpg

= Buckeye Jess =
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yup...I went and got the hard knuckle gloves bearing that in mind as well.. Plus the plastic sided boots...but knowing my luck - I'll freaking hit/kick hard enough that I'll knock my own ass of the bike! lmao

Mac020
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
This will get you noticed. Not much good for road rash though!

http://bikerpunks.com/mediaviewer/396/fun-public-service-announcement.html

Glad your ok!

gtn
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Yup...I went and got the hard knuckle gloves bearing that in mind as well.. Plus the plastic sided boots...but knowing my luck - I'll freaking hit/kick hard enough that I'll knock my own ass of the bike! lmao

Don't strike in anger. Strike only to convey a message. :D

chad23
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
mac that is funny, and thier not squids cause they all had their lids on, but the ending was the wildest

Think
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Sucks that happened, but at least you're alright.

mtnairlover
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
This will get you noticed. Not much good for road rash though!

http://bikerpunks.com/mediaviewer/396/fun-public-service-announcement.html

Glad your ok!

lol...welp, that beats me wearing a pair of fake boobies on the outside of my jacket.

Seriously though...being noticed on a motorcycle (on the road) seems harder and harder these days, and there's more of us out there than ever before...not sure I understand that whole idea.

asp_125
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
you lie, you like to wear that thing. you have always wanted to be a crossing guard growing up

Respect mah authoritaahh!

Kappa03
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
That sucks man...

On Friday I was coming home on Arapahoe towards
Parker, decent traffic I was in the middle lane and this girl riding VERY close to me decides to pass on the left zooms by but has to SLAM on the breaks cuz a car was turning, chain reaction 2 other cars rear-ended her and the SUV that hit her came flying just feet behind my bike... I just don't understand some peoples sense in driving.

rforsythe
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
I like the idea of using air horns. I hope to install them in my touring and daily rider bikes. Installed one in my current project bike. If necessary, it will get a driver's attention......

I'm all for the air horns these days, but why are you mounting it under the seat? Are you trying to signal your ass?

Zach929rr
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
But then I can't honk at girls in Boulder :(

y_merkle
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Glad you are around to tell this story. Almost got hit 4 times today just driving my car! People either don't pay attention or just don't give a damn. I wonder if the proposed cell phone law would make a difference in some of these cases???

XJ600s
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I wonder if the proposed cell phone law would make a difference in some of these cases???

I was riding around Boulder today and nearly got side-swiped twice. First idiot was some fratboywannabe blaring some loud music and looked sorta drunk, probably just really stupid. :banghead:

Second, this girl was driving and painting her finger nails with a child in the backseat. She didn't even have a single hand on the steering wheel. After she nearly hit me and I honked, she kept painting her nails like she had no clue why I honked. :crazy:

I think if a cell phone law was enacted, people would just be doing other things while driving. Unfortunately, I think that's why we will always have to be on the lookout for the very worst and be almost paranoid while driving.

gtn
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
...almost paranoid while driving.

I assume that all other drivers are out to get me. If I'm on the bike I assume they're all homicidal maniacs. It keeps me warm.

Tipys
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 09:40 PM
Best thing I learned was.."Ride like everyone is out to kill you."

MikeG
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Glad you are around to tell this story. Almost got hit 4 times today just driving my car! People either don't pay attention or just don't give a damn. I wonder if the proposed cell phone law would make a difference in some of these cases???

I'm actually trying to get these assholes to hit me in my truck, but they never do.

I'm glad to hear you are ok, "share the road" should apply to motorcycles

ChrisCBX
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm all for the air horns these days, but why are you mounting it under the seat? Are you trying to signal your ass?

:lol:

Its a single seater with a rear cowl that is made of very light weight fiberglass. It also has "vent" holes that help get the sound out.

Its extremely loud, even where its mounted. Loud enough to get a driver to hang up a phone call or forget about the DVD movie they are watching.:)

Jim_Vess
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
I wonder if the proposed cell phone law would make a difference in some of these cases???

Supposedly this law will allow use of a hands-free device. If that's the case, I don't believe it will make any difference. I got hit in my car a few years ago by some dumb ass who was talking on a hands-free phone.

Many people are too involved in their phone conversation to pay attention to the road.

y_merkle
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Supposedly this law will allow use of a hands-free device. If that's the case, I don't believe it will make any difference. I got hit in my car a few years ago by some dumb ass who was talking on a hands-free phone.

Many people are too involved in their phone conversation to pay attention to the road.
You're right. Hand free and the fact that they will do what every they want to while driving be it polishing their nails, shaving, or fumbling for a CD, like XJ600s mentioned, won't matter. Just be safe and alert everyone!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Sorry to hear it, hope you're ok and get your bike fixed up. Hopefully some one got a description of the jackhole and they'll get busted. I've had some close calls, but luckily managed to survive them all without much injury.

Things like this make me wish I get that CSP job I'm applying for, and if I see something like that I'll throw the book at 'em.:banghead::scream1:

Best of luck man.

wankel7
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Best thing I learned was.."Ride like everyone is out to kill you."

I ask that question all the time...how is this car going to try and kill me. And plan accordingly.

tec
Mon May 4th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks for all the concern. I will find out more about the insurance today. Thankfully I was wearing all protective gear and am alive and walking today. This won't stop me from getting back on a bike as soon as I repair or get a new one. All of you ride safe and have a blast. I'm going with TIPYS on this one and ride like everyone is out to kill you. Thanks again everyone.

asp_125
Mon May 4th, 2009, 07:07 AM
OMG how f'in idiotic is this? "Painting her nails and failed to notice the red light"

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/lakezurich/news/1556508,lz-bikerkilled-050309-s1.article

AetasMutuo
Mon May 4th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Glad to hear you are okay, that is some scary sh*t...

Some people just suck at being decent people.

:banghead:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Maybe my next job should be designing M/C-mounted rocket-launchers using Estes "D" rocket engines and with a 12 gage shell set up like on the business end of those divers shark "bang-stick"?:)

y_merkle
Mon May 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Maybe my next job should be designing M/C-mounted rocket-launchers using Estes "D" rocket engines and with a 12 gage shell set up like on the business end of those divers shark "bang-stick"?:)
I'd buy one! LOL!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
OMG how f'in idiotic is this? "Painting her nails and failed to notice the red light"

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/lakezurich/news/1556508,lz-bikerkilled-050309-s1.article
That's pathetic, she needs to get negligent homicide charges at the very least.

ihavealegohead
Mon May 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
You called the cops right?

Devaclis
Mon May 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Speaking of hands free: There was discussion about this last year. Someone found a law that sates that not only is it illegal to have headphones in one a bike, it is illegal to have any device installed on your ears that can send or receive audio from an electronic source. this was for ALL vehicles, not just cars.

I cannot find that law again after searching for about 10 minutes.

Nick_Ninja
Mon May 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Speaking of hands free: There was discussion about this last year. Someone found a law that sates that not only is it illegal to have headphones in one a bike, it is illegal to have any device installed on your ears that can send or receive audio from an electronic source. this was for ALL vehicles, not just cars.

I cannot find that law again after searching for about 10 minutes.

42-4-1411. Use of earphones while driving. (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=query&iid=52d813ec.5ae3c75.0.0&q=%5BGroup%20%2742-4-1411%27%5D)

(1) (a) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones.
(b) For purposes of this subsection (1), "earphones" includes any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device which provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and which covers all of or a portion of the ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices which are built into protective headgear.
(2) Any person who violates this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2395, § 1, effective January 1, 1995.

Editor's note: This section was formerly numbered as 42-4-237 and the former section 42-4-1411 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=COCODE&d=42-4-1411&sid=52d813ec.5ae3c75.0.0#JD_42-4-1411) was relocated to section 42-4-1611 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=COCODE&d=42-4-1611&sid=52d813ec.5ae3c75.0.0#JD_42-4-1611).

rforsythe
Mon May 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
So by Jeff's definition, hands-free devices aren't really "earphones" since they don't replay recorded information per-se (I'd term it more as "relayed information"), and anything built into your helmet is legal. The text doesn't state if that needs to be OEM, so in theory an aftermarket headphone/headset in the helmet would be legal too.

willb003
Mon May 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM

That would be sick!

asp_125
Mon May 4th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Splitting hairs: "... covers all or a portion of the ear". Technically earbuds don't "cover" anything. What's ironic is that earplugs are perfectly fine.

brennahm
Mon May 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM
In FL the law was only one earphone was allowed. Hence, hands-free set-ups were legal and they couldn't tag you for an iPod or the like if you only used one ear bud.

rapparee
Mon May 4th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Maybe my next job should be designing M/C-mounted rocket-launchers using Estes "D" rocket engines and with a 12 gage shell set up like on the business end of those divers shark "bang-stick"?
Not enought thrust, use an aerotech G-4ow at least, that will give you 100 N-secs and plenty of range:)

MVBrutaleRider
Mon May 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Hey, stereo-types all have to come from somewhere, right? There is usually at least an incling of truth...

Im not saying that guys dont drive and talk a lot... in fact im not saying that talking on the phone makes either gender a bad driver... all im saying is that at least down in the greater metro-parker area, a woman not on the phone while driving is a rarity.

FWIW, the guy that almost turned me into roadkill was on a phone... or holding his hand over his ear for some reason. [/threadjack]

And if anyone here is a myth busters fan... they determined that any kind of talking on the phone, be it hands free or not, actually made you a worse driver then drinking and driving.... really funny episode!

- Justin

64BonnieLass
Mon May 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that this happened to you. I'm glad you are alright for the most part.

This is about the 4th MC hit and run I've heard about so far this Spring.

It's a little disconcerting that just because we are on two wheels, that we are some how viewed as disposable. As though we just don't matter in these kinds of accidents. Not worth pulling over for, and making sure another human being with lives, and families of our own, are okay.

The human condition just astounds me sometimes.

I sure hope whoever hit you gets tracked down. (I realize doubtful)

You'll be back up in no time. :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Not enought thrust, use an aerotech G-4ow at least, that will give you 100 N-secs and plenty of range:)
Since it's an unguided missile, I'd really rather it NOT have too much range so as to protect innocents. I figure, oh, about maybe 20'-30', and after that I'd want it to peter out quickly.:) Wouldn't even need a fuse, just a spring-loaded sliding weight with a pin that would hit the primer when the front end strikes the car hard enough to overcome the spring pressure.:)

Don't make me build one!

utsv650
Mon May 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM
until it is against the law to be a DUMBA$$ while operating ANYTHING... im going to ride like they are out to kill me..

64BonnieLass
Mon May 4th, 2009, 06:36 PM
until it is against the law to be a DUMBA$$ while operating ANYTHING... im going to ride like they are out to kill me..

Actually, it IS against the law to be a dumbass operating a motor vehicle. Just gotta catch the asshats first in order for them to be held accountable for their actions with a record duly noted. The people who have the capacity to do this, are just smart enough in their own dumbassness to get away with it. :scream1: I hope their dreams are haunted for years on end. I mean forever.

Maybe we all need a lesson in "license plate recognition". I don't do it. I think I will start. Cause I need one more thing to be aware of when I'm riding in order to make it to work every day and get back home safe. As though my right in that isn't there in the first place.

Tipys
Mon May 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Well they really havnt made it agiesnt the law. Or they have but its one of those laws that police dont like to enforce. I still cant believe how hard it is to KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT to pass. I dont know how many dumbasses doing the speed limit in the left lane that I have to go over and pass on the right. Or the people in turning left think they have the rightaway. Or pull out I can get out withon=ut getting hit but the car coming will have to drop there speed for 45 to 10 so I can get on the road. GRRRRRRRRRRRR