PDA

View Full Version : used bike check list

goshow
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
I am thinking of finally picking up a "new bike". However, I feel I always miss the "small" things which develope into big problems. Can anyone give me a write up or checklist for purchasing a higher milage bike?

Bashed
Sun May 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
High milage bikes dont concern me as much as poor maintence.
I look for dirty oil and air filters first. If these are dirty on a for sale bike use it as leverage or walk away. Fork seals, tires, brake pads, coolant, bearings all might be affected by milage and or poor maintence.
I love how people say thier bike is in mint condition but then say there are broken or scratched body panels.WTF?
These are just a few things to look for/at.
Bash

McVaaahhh
Mon May 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM
What's high mileage?

I'd look for how the owner took care of it?

Is the chain clean/lubed?
Fork seals leaking?
Is there evidence that it's been down on both sides?
Look at the oil, been changed recently?

chad23
Mon May 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I agree with the first to post I dont even know what "high mileage" is on a bike. I look for the maintenance though, clean chain with no rust, all fluids look clean, check cables make sure they are not stretched or worn, check brake pads, and rotors. basically look to see if it is in good running condition

asp_125
Mon May 4th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Here's one I found on the internetz: http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/motorcyclebuyer_sapy.htm

Sully
Mon May 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Yes, really.. what is high mileage... just curious how many miles a bike can take ... :dunno:

XJ600s
Mon May 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM
When I purchased my bike, my uncle (been riding for 35+ years) told me a few things to look for.

Forks: oil leaking, cracked dust seals, rust or scratches on the upper stachions
Tires: signs of burnouts, cracked sidewalls, feathering of the tread
Engine: If you are allowed to start it, see if the engine is warm when you show up. If it is, it could indicate it has a hard time starting cold and the owner wanted it to start right up for you (so they ran it before you showed up). Any signs of leaking on any side of the engine. Rounded off bolts (signs that someone worked on the bike that didn't know what tools to use).
Frame: scratches, dents or dings anywhere could indicate its been in a crash.
Plastics: any scratches that have a long scratch pattern to them indicate the bike was slid on its side, another indicator of a crash.
Fuel system: if it has a power commander, make sure it is bike specific, otherwise it might not work properly with the specific bike.
Exhaust: While the engine is running, see if any smoke comes out of the exhaust or there are any smoke leaks near the engine/header joint. Rev the engine across all rpm ranges (if the owner will let you) to check for smoke at certain rpms or to see if any pronounced ticking or other engine noises are present.
Any other aftermarket parts or replaced fairings could indicate its been crashed, but that may not be a big deal to you.

Look at any exposed wires you can see to determine if an amateur dealt with the wiring or electrical system at all. Poorly wrapped wires, bad butts/splices could mean a hack job.

Check the brakes pads for wear, check brake fluid for color (should be nearly clear), check engine oil level and color. Check oil filter from outside (if its really dirty, its probably been on there for a long time or neglected). Check radiator fluid level (if it has one).

Make sure the bike is topped off on blinker fluid, ask about exhaust bearings, and see when the last time they changed the flux capacitor and it should be good to go! (sorry, had to add this).

If you can, bring a friend or a person who knows more about bikes than you do to inspect it with you. They will be unbiased and see the bike for the condition it is in, hopefully preventing you from a) paying too much or b) missing an important detail in stuff to look for.

MetaLord 9
Mon May 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM
If it's been down, parts can be replaced, be suspicious of complete repaints, especially if it's not a good looking paint scheme, expensive looking paint job, or if they person said they painted it "just cause." Check the forks to make sure they're straight too. Like it was said above, check the chain. Is it lubed? Is it adjusted? Is it at the end of its stretch range? Sprockets look ok? Bashed has a good point with the tires. How many owners? Maintenance records?

kawasakirob
Mon May 4th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Yes, really.. what is high mileage... just curious how many miles a bike can take ... :dunno:

I read an article that was put out by aerostitch about a woman(retired) and her husband(also retired) who took their beemers on a trip around the world with no limits. Their bikes put on 100,000 miles each in one year. Still started first time. My dad has a 1990 ZX10. It has 140,000mi on it. The odometer does not work, as well with the speedo. He has to judge his speed by his tachometer. Only problem he had with it was a thermostat issue. Also awhile back, Cycleworld published an article on a 900rr with 200,000 mi on it. It looked like crap, but it had 200,000 mi on it.