PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the family....no it's not a puppy yet.

DevilsTonic
Mon May 4th, 2009, 07:16 AM
My new toy will be delivered today. After 15 years of living and breathing PC I bought an iMac.

Here are the specs:

24-inch : 3.06GHz
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB memory
1TB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 with 512MB memory

http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/apple-imac-aluminum.jpg

What I really wanted was the Mac Pro, but couldn't spend over $2500 for a machine. I know that macs hold their value, so if I decide I don't like it I can always sell it, but from what I've seen I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping it.

I already have a copy of parallels and VMWare Fusion for it so I can run an instance of Vista (which i like) too, so home won't be too far away.

AetasMutuo
Mon May 4th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Looks nice.

I thought about buying a Mac on my last computer rebuild but I just did not want to put up the money. I am curious to hear how you think it compares to PC's. Most of what I read and hear is all about choosing one side or the other. Kind of tough getting objective information.

DevilsTonic
Mon May 4th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I will definately let you know how it goes...like I said I know that it can handle both the Vista OS and OSX Leopard, so I'll give you my objective review once i've had a few days with it.

I've been on a PC w/ windows for so long, that learning the new OS is going to be somewhat of a learning curve.

Devaclis
Mon May 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM
It will run Vista pretty well with Aero turned off. If you enable it it will be a bit sluggish (due to the video card RAM) but not really bad. They are nice rigs for sho. Congrats!!! I REALLY wish they would put 15k SCSI drives in those things. I would own one if they shipped that way :)

DevilsTonic
Mon May 4th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Yea Dana that's why I wanted the Mac Pro it gave me more to work with, but it was just too much $ to put up.

My company offers an interest free computer loan but the max is $2500 so I couldn't afford the Mac Pro. Besides I figure if I love it, the next one would be a mac pro or whatever it's successor is when I'm done with the iMac.

Zach929rr
Mon May 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
http://ncjl.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/sonething-something-something-darkside.jpg

TurboGizzmo
Mon May 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
You cant go wrong with them, my iMac is my main machine at home and I use windows all the time on it via Vmware.

64BonnieLass
Mon May 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Traitor!!!! :)

Gregger
Mon May 4th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I have a 24" iMac 3.0ghz, 15" MBP aluminum unibody, and a Mac Mini that I use as a HTPC.

I run Windows 7 on the MBP and Ubuntu at times via VMWare.. Flawless... You'll love it. Let me also introduce you to your new favorite site..

www.Codez4mac.com

BondiBeach
Mon May 4th, 2009, 09:38 AM
You can't go wrong with MAC. Good choice.

Devaclis
Mon May 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM
BTW: I got a new 26" HD LCD at Best Buys yesterday for $250 :) 1920x1080 FTW!!!

DevilsTonic
Mon May 4th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I have a 24" iMac 3.0ghz, 15" MBP aluminum unibody, and a Mac Mini that I use as a HTPC.

I run Windows 7 on the MBP and Ubuntu at times via VMWare.. Flawless... You'll love it. Let me also introduce you to your new favorite site..

www.Codez4mac.com (http://www.Codez4mac.com)

Sweet!! Thanks, I will take a look at it. I'm starting to get antsy. :)

DevilsTonic
Tue May 5th, 2009, 03:05 PM
ok so after playing with this machine for the last 3 hours, I feel like a freakin end user. It is a pretty cool machine and there are a lot of features with this OS that just aren't available with windows. I will definately put a vista instance in VMWare fusion so that I have the best of both worlds. my biggest problem right now is navigating and finding the right keyboard shortcuts to do what i need to do. I'm glad I made the decision to switch so that I can have all of the features of both the Windows and Mac worlds. :)