PDA

View Full Version : New scam off of craigslist ad...

McVaaahhh
Tue May 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Not sure what this is all about, but has all the warning signs of a scam.

Got this email last night about the PS2 and XBOX I'm selling:

Nice hearing back from you, i want you to know that i am so serious in buying your craigslist item , But i will not be able to come for the pickup ,I will be glad if you can be so nice to help me ship it down to my daughter for a Birth Day Gift , So i am ready to pay you $300 USD for the item cost including the shipping cost , and i will prefer paying you via paypal , cos it is very fast and secure ,so do get back to me with your paypal email for the instant payment or you sign up for a paypal personal account .. Thanks.

I got another very similar email right at the same time. Not sure what the scam is, but they want my paypal address. I'm assuming to try and crack the password and use it.

Anyway, just another fuggin scam to watch out for. :guns:

Dark Angel Gixxer 6
Tue May 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
This happened to me when I was trying to sell a laptop. They were all trying to send it to Africa. it's crap

Snowman
Tue May 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Honestly, you would think these people would be smart enough to actually get someone that spoke American English to make their scam replies a bit more believable.

Devaclis
Tue May 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Craigslist = cash only + in person or no deal.

Snowman
Tue May 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Craigslist = cash only + in person or no deal.That’s exactly what the fine print says in the “casual encounters” section.

McVaaahhh
Tue May 5th, 2009, 08:32 AM
:pointlaugh:

Fortunately the scammers make it fairly easy to spot them.

Devaclis
Tue May 5th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I have sold quite a bit on CL as well as Ebay. I like to think I am pretty good at spotting a scammer or a loser on either site. I have been an ebayer since it started and have never been scammed. I have had 1 or 2 peeps refuse to ship to me, but I resolved that on my own.

on CL I have done everything face to face.With enough email correspondence you can feel out potential buyers/sellers and get a good idea of wether or not they are on the up and up.

McVaaahhh
Tue May 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM
:imwithstupid:

I've also been on ebay since 2000 and had hundreds of transactions buying and selling. I've been buying/selling on craigslist for at least 5 years now. It is fairly easy to spot the folks that are not on the up and up. Just gotta keep your eyes open and that old saying that "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" counts 100%.

XJ600s
Tue May 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM
My PayPal account got hacked last year. It sucked. Big time. They initially took out 10euros in 3 different transactions, then they hit it hard with 1000 euros each for 11 transactions. Needless to say, I didn't have 10,010 euros in my account, so I got hit up with tons of conversion fees (do you know what it costs to convert 10k euros to usd?), an overdraft fee, etc.

I was clean broke for 2 weeks while my bank sorted it out and realized that my PayPal got hacked (all 11 transactions happened within a minute of each other, no cashier is that fast...ha). Ended up getting it all back, dropped PayPal and cut all my ties with it. PayPal ISN'T safe, and it ISN'T secure either. In fact, they make you pay $5 to get it secure with that random security key producer thingamabob.

BondiBeach
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:00 AM
its a SCAM

MetaLord 9
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:01 AM
its a SCAM
couldn't resist...

Devaclis
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I have my PayPal account tied to a CC. It is insured against fraud. I do NOT have it tied to my bank. That is FTL in SOME cases.

Think
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Got this from one of my ads on CL couple weeks ago.

Doug Oconnor

How are you doing today? I am interested in buying the item you listed
for sale and i will want to know the present condition and the last
price you are willing to sell it. I also wish to let you know that i
will be paying you with a check and so i will want you to send me the
following details so that i can make out the payment as soon as
possible.
1....your full name to be on the check
2....your full contact address to send the payment to
3....your city, state and zip code
4....your mobile and land number to reach you.
Waiting to read from you

I think I could have probably written better in elementary school.

Spy007
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hey Brian...

wanna buy my bike yet? :D

MetaLord 9
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hey Brian...

wanna buy my bike yet? :D
Nah, you've gotta crash it a few more times so he can buy another project/non-functioning bike for his garage

Slo
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Honestly, you would think these people would be smart enough to actually get someone that spoke American English to make their scam replies a bit more believable.

:pointlaugh:

Fortunately the scammers make it fairly easy to spot them.

Yeah exactly....

Nice hearing back from you, i want you to know that i am so serious in buying your craigslist item , But i will not be able to come for the pickup ,I will be glad if you can be so nice to help me ship it down to my daughter for a Birth Day Gift , So i am ready to pay you $300 USD for the item cost including the shipping cost , and i will prefer paying you via paypal , cos it is very fast and secure ,so do get back to me with your paypal email for the instant payment or you sign up for a paypal personal account .. Thanks.

Yeah too many obvious "its a scam" hints. Anyone that actually falls for an email like this, deserves it haha.

XJ600s
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM
How are you doing today? I am interested in buying the item you listedfor sale and i will want to know the present condition and the lastprice you are willing to sell it. I also wish to let you know that i
will be paying you with a check and so i will want you to send me the
following details so that i can make out the payment as soon as
possible.
1....your full name to be on the check
2....your full contact address to send the payment to
3....your city, state and zip code
4....your mobile and land number to reach you.
Waiting to read from you

I think I could have probably written better in elementary school.

HAHA. Whenever I get these on Craigslist, I always turn it around on them. I say that I assume they will want me to ship it otherwise they could get my name for a check in person, so I ask for their shipping name, address and a phone number so I can call them to let them know its been shipped. I say that I'll do this to get an accurate shipping amount to save them money.

Only once have I heard back, the guy gave me a completely phony address, in like Los Angeles, Nebraska. I don't understand why he even bothered to reply, its an email...he was probably that dumb that he figured he had to respond... :lol:

Spy007
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Nah, you've gotta crash it a few more times so he can buy another project/non-functioning bike for his garage

Can i just put the bullet hole stickers on it instead?

McVaaahhh
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Don't be all jealousy. :D

MetaLord 9
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Don't be all jealousy. :D
Don't have to be! Soon I'm gonna have a garage full of parts and a chasis that they may or may not go to! :lol:

McVaaahhh
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Don't have to be! Soon I'm gonna have a garage full of parts and a chasis that they may or may not go to! :lol:

Pickin up a project?

Spy007
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM
No... he owns a Kawi
If he doesnt have spare parts around, he'll never get to ride

MetaLord 9
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Pickin up a project?

yup!

No... he owns a Kawi
If he doesnt have spare parts around, he'll never get to ride
This from the guy who hasn't ridden since...? 2008?

rforsythe
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
PayPal ISN'T safe, and it ISN'T secure either. In fact, they make you pay $5 to get it secure with that random security key producer thingamabob.

And I'm guessing your password wasn't too great either, if they were able to get into your account with it. I have the security token on my PP account and even though I have a hard to guess password, I'm glad it's there. That same token also ties to my eBay account so both are secured by the same hardware.

Either site (and any other site for that matter) is only as secure as the users allow it to be.

rforsythe
Tue May 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM

:lol: Sweet, I'm not the only one with that problem.

Though at the moment all project bikes are functional, so I need something else to tear into.

Spy007
Tue May 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM
yup!

This from the guy who hasn't ridden since...? 2008?

Hey... I rode mine around a couple blocks the other weekend to get the battery charged up!

TFOGGuys
Tue May 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Not to mention that the token is (or was) free to Premier/Business members.

Devaclis
Tue May 5th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Werd :)

GrlRdr
Tue May 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM
My newest scam on craigslist...not selling anything, just looking for a place to live. I was pretty sure the posting was a scam but just had to see what they said...

http://denver.craigslist.org/apa/1145649564.html

And here is the response I got back this morning...

Thanks for the email. My name is Allen Francis,I own the 1 bedroom apartment at 1020 15th Street #14F, Denver CO 80202 .I want you to know that i was transfered to West Africa so my family and i moved down here hence we decided to give the apartment out for rent. We are looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean and well taken care of by whosoever will rent it.We expect the person to take care of the apartment as if it were his or her own.Presently We are here in West Africa in our new house.I personally wanted to Sell the apartment in question but we decided to put it out for rent since my wife love the place so much.If you could promise us that you will take very good care of the house,then you can
send an email with the following informations.

1) Your Full Name
2) Your Full Address & Phone Number
3) Age
4) Marital status
5) How many people will be living in the house?
6) Do you have a pet?
7) Do you have a car?
8) Occupation?
9) Duration of lease/Rent
10) Gender
11) Your Picture if available

One Mr. Smith called me about the apartment,After due consideration, i told him that I can
not give him the apartment because he doesn't sound like some one that can take care of the place.I do not have any problem with you socializing or staying in the apartment with some body but all i ask is that you live responsibly.This is very important because i will not be around and the kind of tenant i give out my apartment to will reflect the kind of person i am.The rent is going to be $300 with no extra fee attached I will like you to give me a call to this effect to know If you are still interested and how serious you are. My phone number is 0112347068586390 or +2347068586390. I will see you by August when i come to the states on an official mission.I hope that by then you would have completely settled down as my tenant.I am looking forward to hearing from you with all the required details so that i can
have enough information to work on and so that i can easily contact you. Reply immediately let us discuss how to get the document and the house keys to you. I know that out there in the world of evil doers there are still God fearing individuals and i hope that you will turn out to be one of them since i am trusting you not to let me down.

I As a man of God will stick to my words and terms of agreement and i hope you will honor
our agreement at the end of the day and that putting a blind trust in you will not make me
regret.I EXPECT YOU TO STICK TO YOUR WORDS. I am putting everything in the hand of God,so please do not let me and my wife down.

NOTE: THE KEYS WILL BE SENT TO YOU VIA FEDEX to your personal address.I HOPE YOU CAN LIVE PEACEFULLY AND RESPONSIBLY IN THE HOUSE? YOU AS THE TENANT WILL PAY FOR THE SHIPPING COST OF THE KEY TO YOU.

Regards
Allen Francis.

nattynoo
Tue May 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
^^^^ I got a lot of those when I posted my house up to rent. Waste of my time.

Mizzybeff
Tue May 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
My newest scam on craigslist...not selling anything, just looking for a place to live. I was pretty sure the posting was a scam but just had to see what they said...

http://denver.craigslist.org/apa/1145649564.html

And here is the response I got back this morning...

Thanks for the email. My name is Allen Francis,I own the 1 bedroom apartment at 1020 15th Street #14F, Denver CO 80202 .I want you to know that i was transfered to West Africa so my family and i moved down here hence we decided to give the apartment out for rent. We are looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean and well taken care of by whosoever will rent it.We expect the person to take care of the apartment as if it were his or her own.Presently We are here in West Africa in our new house.I personally wanted to Sell the apartment in question but we decided to put it out for rent since my wife love the place so much.If you could promise us that you will take very good care of the house,then you can
send an email with the following informations.

1) Your Full Name
2) Your Full Address & Phone Number
3) Age
4) Marital status
5) How many people will be living in the house?
6) Do you have a pet?
7) Do you have a car?
8) Occupation?
9) Duration of lease/Rent
10) Gender
11) Your Picture if available

One Mr. Smith called me about the apartment,After due consideration, i told him that I can
not give him the apartment because he doesn't sound like some one that can take care of the place.I do not have any problem with you socializing or staying in the apartment with some body but all i ask is that you live responsibly.This is very important because i will not be around and the kind of tenant i give out my apartment to will reflect the kind of person i am.The rent is going to be $300 with no extra fee attached I will like you to give me a call to this effect to know If you are still interested and how serious you are. My phone number is 0112347068586390 or +2347068586390. I will see you by August when i come to the states on an official mission.I hope that by then you would have completely settled down as my tenant.I am looking forward to hearing from you with all the required details so that i can
have enough information to work on and so that i can easily contact you. Reply immediately let us discuss how to get the document and the house keys to you. I know that out there in the world of evil doers there are still God fearing individuals and i hope that you will turn out to be one of them since i am trusting you not to let me down.

I As a man of God will stick to my words and terms of agreement and i hope you will honor
our agreement at the end of the day and that putting a blind trust in you will not make me
regret.I EXPECT YOU TO STICK TO YOUR WORDS. I am putting everything in the hand of God,so please do not let me and my wife down.

NOTE: THE KEYS WILL BE SENT TO YOU VIA FEDEX to your personal address.I HOPE YOU CAN LIVE PEACEFULLY AND RESPONSIBLY IN THE HOUSE? YOU AS THE TENANT WILL PAY FOR THE SHIPPING COST OF THE KEY TO YOU.

Regards
Allen Francis.

hey I know that Allen Francis guy! lol He sells rugs in England and wants u to transfer money from buyers to him via western union. I used to get emails daily asking for my "help" LOL.

I think I may stil have one of those emails. I never responded but I laugh whenever I see that name. SO FRAUD

Snowman
Tue May 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
So do you think this person will burn in hell for using the name of god in an email scam?

MetaLord 9
Tue May 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I am on an "official mission" right now, so suck it "evil doers."

We get these ALL the time since my job used to be pretty much a glorified craigslist poster. My favorites were the ones that acutally sent the fake traveler's checks and then the asshats who actually sent driver's license pictures of people claiming it was them!

DavidofColorado
Tue May 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah exactly....

Yeah too many obvious "its a scam" hints. Anyone that actually falls for an email like this, deserves it haha.
Old people that are a little soft in the head fall for this all the time. My dad for one is to trusting. He has gotten several forged money orders in the mail. He did get a monitor once though. A nice one that once it left here was never seen again.

Tipys
Tue May 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Scams are fun.

Ol'Skool
Tue May 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Did Somali pirates write the post?
Same person offered to buy a saxaphone from my wife. What a crock. Unfortunately theres an idiot born every minute and someone will answer and get hosed.

XJ600s
Tue May 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM
And I'm guessing your password wasn't too great either, if they were able to get into your account with it. I have the security token on my PP account and even though I have a hard to guess password, I'm glad it's there. That same token also ties to my eBay account so both are secured by the same hardware.

Either site (and any other site for that matter) is only as secure as the users allow it to be.

Actually, I took a course a couple of years ago where we learned the intricacies of hacking essentially, and learned how to create super strong unbreakable passwords. My PayPal account password, along with all other financial institutions passwords are changed monthly with a password generator I created. My professor couldn't break my strongest password. So, it wasn't my password.

I also had 2 other friends within a time period of 2 months have their accounts hacked into as well, one actually lost over $15k and it was not covered by his bank.