PDA

View Full Version : Any local shops stock tires

Connman
Thu May 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
...even CLOSE to internet prices???
Went to 2 shops and they wanted to sell me tires $80+ over what Joe Public can buy them for on the web.
So after basically being called a liar I showed the two parts guys a few tire websites and they couldn't believe it.
The online prices were actually $2 LESS than one of the dealers COST.

I understand supporting local shops, and paying a little extra for them to stock parts/tires, but don't try to soak me for $80! I actually prefer buying local to avoid the UPS waiting game, but marking a tire up that much is a perfect example of why web-based businesses are so successful.
So, if anyone knows a shop that sells tires at a respectable profit, please post it up! I'd like to go buy them today!

eklew
Thu May 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
303 Cycle???

brennahm
Thu May 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I got great prices from 303 Cycles and Jim at TFOG. Both are members on here.

salsashark
Thu May 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Bought my last set from TFOG... Give Jim a call.

Zanos
Thu May 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I am going to rep 303 Cycle - Because I can.

Zach929rr
Thu May 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM
+1 to the FOG

Dietrich_R1
Thu May 7th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I like Cycle Gear locally. It's down the street from my house & they give me the "BROTHER" price. I think they do this to compte with the internet. After a recent crash I paid $10.00 more than the best price on the internet for some protective gear. A friend just purchased a tire for his KLR & they were only $1.00 more than the best price he could find on the internet

.... JIM @ TFOG! Waiting to order some accessories for the KLR from him! Like working with him!!!

Dietrich

kawasakirob
Thu May 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Went to G-Force Powersports the other day for some chain lube and threw out a tire and size to see what they would quote me on it. They give the tire to the consumer at shop cost, only charge for mounting, and it is the same price on or off the bike. ALL brands are givin to the people at dealer cost, race tires included.

Mounted up BT-021 Touring Tire is 160. 180/55

kawasakirob
Thu May 7th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Also, if you buy the tire from a shop, they will generally give you a lower price for mount and balance rather than if you brought in an internet tire.

rforsythe
Thu May 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM
...even CLOSE to internet prices???
Went to 2 shops and they wanted to sell me tires $80+ over what Joe Public can buy them for on the web.
So after basically being called a liar I showed the two parts guys a few tire websites and they couldn't believe it.
The online prices were actually $2 LESS than one of the dealers COST.

I understand supporting local shops, and paying a little extra for them to stock parts/tires, but don't try to soak me for $80! I actually prefer buying local to avoid the UPS waiting game, but marking a tire up that much is a perfect example of why web-based businesses are so successful.
So, if anyone knows a shop that sells tires at a respectable profit, please post it up! I'd like to go buy them today!

Some thoughts...
- There is generally almost no profit in tire sales. $80 is a lot of markup considering the general deals out there.
- Unless you are moving a lot of volume, most places have the same cost give or take. The place selling under cost is probably breaking even or losing money on the deal just to get your business and up their numbers.
- That practice is not only not sustainable, but is harmful to the industry as a whole. Web businesses are notorious for bottom feeding on prices and lasting a short while.
- The shops mentioned here already will take care of you as much as a reputable, brick and mortar store can, as will some others like Faster and so on. It may not be as cheap as the losing-money web shop, but then again these stores will actually be around 6 months from now, and can take care of you like a customer and not just some random credit card slip. I've tried the motorcycle retail business thing, and it is a brutal thing. Knowing what it takes to keep the lights on, I will gladly pay a little extra to a local shop I like just to help them do that, so that they're there when I need it.
- Rob makes a good point; you gotta pay for mounting and balancing. Buy from a shop, it's usually cheaper there. Buy on the internet and don't be surprised to pay $30 a wheel, so where is your savings now?

Jason ON
Thu May 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM
TFOG has always treated me well in regards to tires. I've heard decent things about 303, though...

Gainer
Thu May 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I got great prices from 303 Cycles and Jim at TFOG. Both are members on here.

+1 Both Jim and DK will take good care of you.

McVaaahhh
Thu May 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM
303 Cycles & TFOG :applause:

I won't go anywhere else.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu May 7th, 2009, 12:45 PM
- Unless you are moving a lot of volume, most places have the same cost give or take. The place selling under cost is probably breaking even or losing money on the deal just to get your business and up their numbers.I know that Performance pays waaaay less than any of the dealers/shops. They buy a shit ton at a time and get a much better deal. An internet business could potentially have a huge volume too. Therefore, they're not necessarily a bottom feeder.

- Rob makes a good point; you gotta pay for mounting and balancing. Buy from a shop, it's usually cheaper there. Buy on the internet and don't be surprised to pay $30 a wheel, so where is your savings now?That's why I do them for $25 on bike and $10 off. I do it to show people that the prices others charge are ridiculous!! I've seen $30 and more off bike. WTF!!

Sully
Thu May 7th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Dean does have a great deal on mounting... :hump:... tires that is... but did you replace your tools yet ?

TFOGGuys
Thu May 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Connman, gimme a call or PM. I stock most common sizes in a variety of tires, at competitive prices (with internet dealers). We can generally mount and balance them while you wait 6 days a week for $12.99 each off bike, and $29.99 each on bike.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu May 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Dean does have a great deal on mounting... :hump:... tires that is... but did you replace your tools yet ?The tools that got stolen, took years to collect. I don't see me replacing all of them anytime soon. I've got the basics, though...

Sully
Thu May 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I hear ya, that sucks tho :(

Connman
Thu May 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM
- Rob makes a good point; you gotta pay for mounting and balancing. Buy from a shop, it's usually cheaper there. Buy on the internet and don't be surprised to pay $30 a wheel, so where is your savings now?

I mount and balance my own. Got tired of wheels all scratched to hell and half-assed balancing -the dozen weights some shops use rather than doing it right.
So there's my savings. But for the majority, I see your point.

Connman
Thu May 7th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Connman, gimme a call or PM. I stock most common sizes in a variety of tires, at competitive prices (with internet dealers). We can generally mount and balance them while you wait 6 days a week for $12.99 each off bike, and $29.99 each on bike.

I'd like to stop in and see your shop. Thanks!
...and $12 is tough to pass up on a mount & balance even though I have the tools, lol

Fly boy
Thu May 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Some thoughts...

Ralph,

I don't want to be rude, but I found my tire for $152 and the Yami stealership up here will charge me $40 for an install rear. Their original quote if I did all through them was $287 +tax.

I am still looking around for a local shop to support though.

TFOGGuys
Thu May 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Ralph,

I don't want to be rude, but I found my tire for $152 and the Yami stealership up here will charge me $40 for an install rear. Their original quote if I did all through them was $287 +tax.

Metzeler 170/80/15 $142.99, in stock. Install on the VStar $29.99. Almost worth the trip from Cheyenne...

brennahm
Thu May 7th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Just a side note here, if you're doing your own mounting/balancing, 303Cycles sold me on a bag of dyna beads...work great. Didn't think about it at all during 200 miles today.

Connman
Thu May 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Ralph,

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. And then dealerships wonder why they lose all their business to web-orders and bad-mouth people for not supporting local shops.
I'm just looking for a shop that isn't trying to soak everyone who doesn't know better.

I may get out to tfog and 303 tomorrow. Good Lord, you guys are as far West as I am East. lol

Kim-n-Dean
Thu May 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I mount and balance my own. Got tired of wheels all scratched to hell and half-assed balancing -the dozen weights some shops use rather than doing it right.Ain't that the truth!!!! It's not rocket science!! That's why I bought my own machine.

...And the fact that I used to 4X a lot and had to always clean all the rocks out of the beads!! Same with the quads.

longrider
Thu May 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Check us out at Fay Myers (shameless plug :) ) We compete as much as we can with online, for example 180/55 Qualifier - MSRP 221.99, our price 154.99 and they are in stock. This pricing applies to all tires, we have a good stock of Qualifiers and Pilot Powers and some of everything. Mount and balance $27 on the bike.

ChrisCBX
Thu May 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I may get out to tfog and 303 tomorrow. Good Lord, you guys are as far West as I am East. lol

I come down from Longmont to go to TFOG. I figure its worth the trip. :)

Connman
Thu May 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Just a side note here, if you're doing your own mounting/balancing, 303Cycles sold me on a bag of dyna beads...work great. Didn't think about it at all during 200 miles today.

2oz. in each tire? Haven't had the nerve to try them yet, but may have to get some!

Connman
Thu May 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Check us out at Fay Myers (shameless plug :) ) We compete as much as we can with online, for example 180/55 Qualifier - MSRP 221.99, our price 154.99 and they are in stock. This pricing applies to all tires, we have a good stock of Qualifiers and Pilot Powers and some of everything. Mount and balance $27 on the bike.

That was one of the 2 shops I went to. lol...
Fay's cost on the MPR2CT is $172, (according to the gentleman that was helping me), I - anyone... can get it for $174.
I was a bit shocked they didn't get deeper discounts than that.

PS Longrider...
Hey, since you work there, if I wanted to come in and take a few pics of bikes in the showroom for some net-friends on another site, would anyone at Fay Myers have a problem with that?
Thanks

konichd
Thu May 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Check out innovativebalancing.com for exactly how dynabeads work. No unsightly rim weights and most of all keeps you tire IN BALANCE its entire life making them last longer. I'm the only exclusive distributor in town as shown on their website.

Between Jim @ TFOG, or myself at 303 Cycle I bet we can come pretty close on internet prices, and remember as Ralph said each of us will be here to take care of you after the sale as well :)

Matt
Thu May 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I just bought a set of BT-002 (120/70 and 180/55) for $250 including tax at Apex in Colorado Springs. They generally have great tire prices there. I know someone who mounts and balances tires (rims off the bike) for $15 each.

kawasakirob
Thu May 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Probably first should have asked what tire? As long as your not knee dragging on the street. The dual compound touring tires (Bridgestone BT-021) rock. Last a hell of a long time and can boogie quite nicely. The feel though really is'nt there as much as the sport tires. But they can definitely hang and are excellant in rain. They are also cheap to buy, 120 bucks and your mounting you got a kick ass tire

kawasakirob
Thu May 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Oh, 2CT's just saw it, check out G-Force on Colfax. the tires are at cost.

konichd
Thu May 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I will tell you what, I will match internet prices:
-First pay for the tires, I will take a day to box them up and another 4-5 days to conveniently ship them to you're door, of course I'm going to charge shipping as well.
-Then when you get them you can have the joy of finding a shop/person that will mount them up, of course you will have to call around for the lowest price and hopefully you can get there when their shop is open.
-If you don't have stands feel free to ride your bike down and have your wife/boyfriend/sister/nun follow you in a car with the tires you bought off the internet. Of course I'm not going to give you any discount as you bought them "off the internet" :)

Or you can give me a call, we can work something out, and as luck would have it I'm open until 9pm with most major brand/sizes in stock. Even mount and balance while you wait!

Now what is it worth? ;)

longrider
Thu May 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
That was one of the 2 shops I went to. lol...
Fay's cost on the MPR2CT is $172, (according to the gentleman that was helping me), I - anyone... can get it for $174.
I was a bit shocked they didn't get deeper discounts than that.

PS Longrider...
Hey, since you work there, if I wanted to come in and take a few pics of bikes in the showroom for some net-friends on another site, would anyone at Fay Myers have a problem with that?
Thanks

I am assuming from your sig that you were looking for a 190/17 tire (the costs match). That cost is correct but you didnt mention we sell them for 199 while MSRP is 293. While we may make $18 gross on that tire the truth is it is selling at a loss when you consider the cost of running a business. We do the best we can to compete with online but some things just cant be matched. Also consider shipping costs and waiting for the tire.

Regarding the pictures it is not my call but I dont see an issue with it as long as it is not for commercial purposes. You will need to check with the sales manager first.

Sean
Thu May 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Speaking about mounting ripoff. I was just in Santa Fe, needed a new tire (to make it back) and when I asked about getting a Mich pp 2ct and the first guy wanted 250 for the tire (rear only) and 90 to mount!!!!!! :shocked: That's 350 +tax for one tire!!!! As I expressed my concern for the cost he simply said "we are the only sportbike dealer in northern New Mexico, the next closest one is Albuquerque."

Luckily there was a cool guy there who gave me last months deal. He saw the melting from on the edge of the tire and we started talking about trackdays. 155 for the tire but still 63 to mount. What can you do?

TFOGGuys
Thu May 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM
If I order one for you by the end of the day tomorrow, I can do a pilot Road 2 for $169.99, plus tax. One of our suppliers is doing a special for the next 24 hours. Pilot Power 2CT would be $181.99.

cromer611
Thu May 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM
-First pay for the tires, I will take a day to box them up and another 4-5 days to conveniently ship them to you're door, of course I'm going to charge shipping as well.
-Then when you get them you can have the joy of finding a shop/person that will mount them up, of course you will have to call around for the lowest price and hopefully you can get there when their shop is open.
-If you don't have stands feel free to ride your bike down and have your wife/boyfriend/sister/nun follow you in a car with the tires you bought off the internet. Of course I'm not going to give you any discount as you bought them "off the internet" :)

Or you can give me a call, we can work something out, and as luck would have it I'm open until 9pm with most major brand/sizes in stock. Even mount and balance while you wait!

Now what is it worth? ;)

not to mention the tires off the internet could be (X) years old, OR "Out of Round".
if you bought them at a local shop, you could exchange the out of round tires and let the shop handle it.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu May 7th, 2009, 10:43 PM
The battle of the tire deals!!

not to mention the tires off the internet could be (X) years old, OR "Out of Round".
if you bought them at a local shop, you could exchange the out of round tires and let the shop handle it....yeah, good luck with that!!

Connman
Fri May 8th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Check out innovativebalancing.com for exactly how dynabeads work. No unsightly rim weights and most of all keeps you tire IN BALANCE its entire life making them last longer. I'm the only exclusive distributor in town as shown on their website.

Between Jim @ TFOG, or myself at 303 Cycle I bet we can come pretty close on internet prices, and remember as Ralph said each of us will be here to take care of you after the sale as well :)

Researched the beads, and I definitely want to go that route. Still not sure how it works though...lol

Now what is it worth? ;)

Heh? I completely understand that to a certain group of people, the services you can provide are absolutely priceless. But what I've never understood is the big F.U. a guy usually gets when he's just shopping on price because he can do all the work himself. It's as if shops get offended that I choose to buy parts from them - and do the work myself. Honestly, that's why I often go to the web first - because I know I'm not going to catch hell, and feel uncomfortable for trying to get a great price.
Anyway, back to my original point... I'd gladly pay $20 over true cost on a tire, in stock at a local shop, my gripe is the places that assumed I was an easy mark, trying to rape me for $80.
Look at my original post, I never wanted anyone to match internet prices. I understand overhead, inventory carrying costs, retail space, and the fact that some web "companies" are some guy in his kitchen playing middleman between a big warehouse and you.
It's all good though! I just want to find a "home" shop, where you can make a nice, respectable profit and I can give you all my business and referrals.

bennice
Fri May 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Some thoughts...
- There is generally almost no profit in tire sales. $80 is a lot of markup considering the general deals out there.
- Unless you are moving a lot of volume, most places have the same cost give or take. The place selling under cost is probably breaking even or losing money on the deal just to get your business and up their numbers.
- That practice is not only not sustainable, but is harmful to the industry as a whole. Web businesses are notorious for bottom feeding on prices and lasting a short while.
- The shops mentioned here already will take care of you as much as a reputable, brick and mortar store can, as will some others like Faster and so on. It may not be as cheap as the losing-money web shop, but then again these stores will actually be around 6 months from now, and can take care of you like a customer and not just some random credit card slip. I've tried the motorcycle retail business thing, and it is a brutal thing. Knowing what it takes to keep the lights on, I will gladly pay a little extra to a local shop I like just to help them do that, so that they're there when I need it.

Agreed, but $80 over everybody else is a good way to not move much volume.

bennice
Fri May 8th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Good thread here. I didn't know there were so many places in town that would mount tread for decent prices. I've generally been buying at Performance and taking the wheels over to Faster to get mounted for the past few years. Good to know there are other options!

Gregger
Sat May 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
PMs sent to both Konchid and T-Fog.

Support your local shops, even if it does mean you spend an extra 20 bucks!

Just think, you can save 20 bucks by not buying your little foo foo starbucks drinks one week, and help support our local guys..

konichd
Sat May 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Give me a call or PM and I will try my hardest to get you the best price I can, afterall I'm here to earn your business :)