PDA

View Full Version : You suppose people are getting the idea?

rforsythe
Thu May 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM
http://www.9news.com/money/article.aspx?storyid=115266&catid=344

Savings are up, credit card usage is down. You think people are finally getting the idea that plastic is not free money, or will society be back to its old tricks in no time?

milehicitygirl
Thu May 7th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I think people will go back to their credit card abuse once things start to "appear normal" again. . . .creatures of habit.

leadbedr
Thu May 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM
If you know how to use a credit card, they are great.
I have one that I carry a very low balance on, but use it for big purchases then pay it off that month.
Its great to get cash back or free miles.

dm_gsxr
Thu May 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Nah. Just like buying motorcycles and Prius', as soon as things balance out again, they'll be back to credit cards and NINJA home loans.

Carl

Nick_Ninja
Thu May 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Nah. Just like buying motorcycles and Prius', as soon as things balance out again, they'll be back to credit cards and NINJA home loans.

Carl

I'm applying for a NINJA home loan ---- soon ----- very soon :scramble:

McVaaahhh
Thu May 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
As soon as people start to think that their homes can be used as ATM's they'll go back to maxing out the credit cards and then using home equity loans to pay off the cards.

With that said, things may be different. The housing market is not likely to grow the way that it did the ten years prior to the downturn. People will still see value increase, just not 20%/year like the last time.

I personally think that overall as a society we will at least have some savings (it was at -1% in 08 ).

I guarantee that half the homes that were foreclosed had 2 cars parked in the driveway that were less than 3 years old. :rolleyes:

Devaclis
Thu May 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM
We don't have 2 cars because we don't need them. I don't have 2 bikes because I don't need 2. I don't have any credit cards because I don't need them

I am still horrible with money. I was brought up that way. What kind of change are ypu expecting from people who live on borrowed money and do not really think they are doing anything wrong?

As long as there are lenders people will use them. Until you have to pay cash for everything credit will continue to be abused.

No I don't think people have gotten a clue. They have blamed bush and wallstreet and now feel that they have been avenged

milehicitygirl
Thu May 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Stupid is as stupid does ! :slap:

asp_125
Thu May 7th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Consumers have short memories.

kawasakirob
Thu May 7th, 2009, 09:32 PM
They have blamed bush and wallstreet and now feel that they have been avenged

Yep