PDA

View Full Version : Death Star vs. Enterprise

dirkterrell
Fri May 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tweetmeme/death-star-destroys-enterprise-current

Dirk

Shea
Fri May 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Not a real world test. The Enterprise was entirely a static target. Given the warp drive capabilities I would give it an edge over the Death Star. Can we revisit this test with another Constitution class cruiser and have a captain that isn't away banging some Orion slave girl?

:)

dirkterrell
Fri May 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Not a real world test. The Enterprise was entirely a static target. Given the warp drive capabilities I would give it an edge over the Death Star.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Dirk

Nick_Ninja
Fri May 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM
How appropriate having that happen in San Fran. The gheyness cannot be understated.

Snowman
Fri May 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM
There is no question an Ambassador Class Star Ship would be no match for a Death Star Class 1 or 2. However, has anyone considered a one to one match up between a Death Star Class 2 and a Full Sized Borg Cube?

dirkterrell
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.people.iup.edu/pnwm/comparison.gif

Dirk

MetaLord 9
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Not a real world test. The Enterprise was entirely a static target. Given the warp drive capabilities I would give it an edge over the Death Star. Can we revisit this test with another Constitution class cruiser and have a captain that isn't away banging some Orion slave girl?

Gotta go with Shea on this one...
Strategic targeting is definately more accurate than some kid shooting womp rats on his T-19.

PLUS, that Enterprise is far too mobile of a ship to fall prey to such a lumbering but devastating device

Also, Dirk, why's it always gotta be about size & who's is bigger with you, huh?

Snowman
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
So you’re saying the only real advantage the Enterprise has is that is can out maneuver a Death Star. So how is that defeating one?

MetaLord 9
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM
So you’re saying the only real advantage the Enterprise has is that is can out maneuver a Death Star. So how is that defeating one?
Well if the other guy can't hit you, he sure can't beat you. And I also said that strategic targeting of phasers & photon torpedos would allow the Enterprise to easily exploit a weakness such as an unshielded exhaust port.

woah. suddnely I feel like I'm 13 again...

Shea
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Well if the other guy can't hit you, he sure can't beat you. And I also said that strategic targeting of phasers & photon torpedos would allow the Enterprise to easily exploit a weakness such as an unshielded exhaust port.

woah. suddnely I feel like I'm 13 again...

Unless we cover said exhaust port with some plywood. But we have to get some bids first on that...

Zach929rr
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.motifake.com/demotivational-poster/0809/nerds-demotivational-poster-1221603621.jpg

Snowman
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Sounds like a matter of strategy to me. The Death Star(s) had tractor beams (TNH and ROTJ). A simple ambush style attack could allow the Death Star to lock the Enterprise into one of is trackor beams, then open fire until their shields failed.

On the other hand no weaponry on the Enterprise would be able to over come the entire mass of a Death Star. Being the size of the Enterprise would not allow it to fly down the trench leading to the exhaust port. Which I'm sure was fixed in the class 2 version.

Shea
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Sounds like a matter of strategy to me. The Death Star(s) had tractor beams (TNH and ROTJ). A simple ambush style attack could allow the Death Star to lock the Enterprise into one of is track beams, then open fire until their shields failed.

On the other hand no weaponry on the Enterprise would be able to over come the entire mass of a Death Star. Being the size of the Enterprise would not allow it to fly down the trench leading to the exhaust port. Which I'm sure was fixed in the class 2 version.

However, it takes quite awhile for the main weaponry to power up and given Star Trek canon, the shields on even low level Star Fleet ships are immune to laser fire (I would assume even Turbo Lasers). While the Enterprise is being "captured" by a tractor beam it is free to fire it's weapons and I would further assume as the primary Death Star weaponry is being charged, the emitters are being bombarded by either photon or quantum torpedoes, en mass. Therefore, I still think the Enterprise will come out, perhaps not on top, but at least in a draw.

MetaLord 9
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:34 PM
...until the Defiant shows up! :evil:

Snowman
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I agree to defeat a Death Star would require a fair amount of brinksmanship. In a blow-to-blow battle, however the Enterprise would be toast in seconds.

And you forget the other weapons in the arsenal of a Death Star. It was designed to fight off a large-scale assault, so of course there would be more than turbo lasers. It would have docked Imperial Class Star ships that could protect the stations more vulnerable areas.

It would require a master plan to defeat one… Even it the Defiant showed up.

MetaLord 9
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:43 PM
So I can't help but wonder if this whole Death Star v. Enterprise was a result of someone watching "First Contact" while eating special brownies...

Snowman
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
That and the CO2 gas collecting in their parents basement which they were living in at the time.

MetaLord 9
Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM
s'pose that's a different kind of "greenhouse effect"

dirkterrell
Fri May 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
And you forget the other weapons in the arsenal of a Death Star. It was designed to fight off a large-scale assault, so of course there would be more than turbo lasers. It would have docked Imperial Class Star ships that could protect the stations more vulnerable areas.

Plus 7,293 TIE fighters, 2,600 ion cannons, and at least 768 tractor beam projectors.

Dirk

salsashark
Fri May 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I'm wondering why this is even being discussed seeing as how the the Death Star only existed long long ago in a galaxy far far away... It is a time of civil war, and renegade paragraphs floating through space.

The Enterprise is only good for a 5 year mission from Earth... in about 150 years from now...

dirkterrell
Fri May 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Also, Dirk, why's it always gotta be about size & who's is bigger with you, huh?

You rebel scum.

Dirk

dirkterrell
Fri May 8th, 2009, 01:18 PM
The Enterprise is only good for a 5 year mission from Earth... in about 150 years from now...

Hey if they can go back in time to rescue humpback whales, surely they can go back in time to have the Empire open a can of whoop-ass on them.

Dirk

Snowman
Fri May 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
So anyone going to attempt to see this new Star Trek Movie?

I’m kind a expecting this will be the final last and most complete failure of Gene Rodenberry’s vision.

dirkterrell
Fri May 8th, 2009, 01:53 PM
So anyone going to attempt to see this new Star Trek Movie?

I’m kind a expecting this will be the final last and most complete failure of Gene Rodenberry’s vision.

I'll probably go see it next week. Hopefully it'll be good. Looks like lots of action in it.

Dirk

Shea
Fri May 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah seeing it Sunday. Hope they revamp the series but expectations are low. Waiting for Terminator to come out to really satiate my geekdom.

Pandora-11
Fri May 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I have loved Star Trek since the old TV series. I show my students the classic episode "The Trouble with Tribbles"...arguably one of the finest examples of that show. I have it in play (script) form as well.
Loved the first three Star Wars episodes and hated the prequels.:vader:

MetaLord 9
Fri May 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I'm in for seeing it when I get a chance to

Matrix
Fri May 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
http://tulsasportbikeriders.com/forum/download/file.php?id=18200

sky_blue
Fri May 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
::right click:: SAVE.

dirkterrell
Mon May 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I'll probably go see it next week. Hopefully it'll be good. Looks like lots of action in it.

Ok, Susan and I went to see it last night. I thought it was pretty decent. There are some inconsistencies with previous story lines from the series and movies but I get the feeling that it's intentional (time travel is involved) and they are setting up future movies. Definitely worth seeing.

Dirk

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Can someone explain why all of engineering looked like a brewery? I mean Scotty was a heavy drinker but that reference was a bit over done.

I did like that they killed off a red shirt the moment he hit the platform, that was funny.

Pandora-11
Mon May 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Can someone explain why all of engineering looked like a brewery? I mean Scotty was a heavy drinker but that reference was a bit over done.

I did like that they killed off a red shirt the moment he hit the platform, that was funny.

Don't give anything away!!!!!!:banghead::)

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I didn’t give anything away...

Everyone knows there are two things that all good Start Trek Original Series stories must have in the storyline. First, someone in a red shirt always dies on an away mission and second Kirk must have sex with a green Orion chic.

This is common knowledge.

Pandora-11
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Everyone knows there are two things that all good Start Trek Original Series stories must have in the storyline. First, someone in a red shirt always dies on an away mission and second Kirk must have sex with a green Orion chic.

lol:lol::lol:

TFOGGuys
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM

That, and Kirk's Two Handed Death Blow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bhx4p7R9FM)™

Shea
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Yeah I noticed the same thing. Why is there a water turbine on the damn ship? Quite the visual dichotomy from the bridge to engineering...perhaps it was done on purpose, who knows.

Not too bad, especially if you take it as the start of a new franchise. Lots of character introduction, not much depth, superficial plot lines etc.

And the Enterprise looks stupid. Bring back the -A refit damnit.

Add: Looks like people like it, 76.2 mil for the opening weekend.

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:13 AM
That water turbine thing remaindered me of that scene in that Star Trek knock off movie with Tim Allen, (Can’t remember the name) where him a Sigourney Weaver where trying to get through that chopper thing. They stated there was no reason for it just bad script writer’s trying to make drama.

Pandora-11
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:13 AM
a red shirt

Pandora-11
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:14 AM
That water turbine thing remaindered me of that scene in that Star Trek knock off movie with Tim Allen, (Can’t remember the name) where him a Sigourney Weaver where trying to get through that chopper thing. They stated there was no reason for it just bad script writer’s trying to make drama.
Galaxy Quest

TFOGGuys
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Gratuitous Orion Slave Girl pic
http://www.toplessrobot.com/yvonne_craig_as_slave_girl_marta.jpg

MetaLord 9
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Newer slave girl is hotter. AND a redhead :D :D :D :D

I did like the "THIS IS AN ALTERNATE TIMELINE" speeches that they gave each other haflway through the movie SEVERAL times... :lol:

Vance
Mon May 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Wow... I can't believe I'm about to geek out like this but...

The Enterprise would be toast.
Too small to defeat the Death Star and all its firepower...

HOWEVER... in the Star Trek Universe...
The Doomsday Device could likely do some massive devastation upon the Death Star and likely withstand any/all Imperial method of attack (I don't think they'd have figured out to suicide a capital ship into the maw of the device)...

Likewise I believe the Borg cube(s) would have DEFINITELY been able to overcome and assimilate the ENTIRE Death Star and all its crew into the collective...

Which would have made for one BIG MOTHER HUMPER of a collective!

Intermixing the universes...
Not knowing a lot about LEXX, Farscape, or some of those...

I think the best chances for single civilization destruction of the Death Star would have had to come from Babylon 5 Universe in either the Vorlon planet destroyer mega-ship... or the Shadow Planet Destroyer cloud....

Neither would have been vulnerable to legitimate sustained attack (Vorlon being adaptive bio-tech that absorbs energy and physical attack; Shadow being a giant cloud --- how do you attack a cloud?) and would have been able to take out the Death Star in a matter of a few minutes of priming and activation time.

Pandora-11
Mon May 11th, 2009, 10:06 AM
OMG.....I am totally out of my league here....:)
...a fan, but not a student of it...wow...

Spy007
Mon May 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM
http://trylobyte.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/rachel_nichols.jpg
Newer slave girl is hotter. AND a redhead :D :D :D :D

I did like the "THIS IS AN ALTERNATE TIMELINE" speeches that they gave each other haflway through the movie SEVERAL times... :lol:

+1.... hotness with the green chick!
Thank god we will be seeing her in GI Joe shortly!!! :D
Rachel Nichols

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Wow... I can't believe I'm about to geek out like this but...

The Enterprise would be toast.
Too small to defeat the Death Star and all its firepower...

HOWEVER... in the Star Trek Universe...
The Doomsday Device could likely do some massive devastation upon the Death Star and likely withstand any/all Imperial method of attack (I don't think they'd have figured out to suicide a capital ship into the maw of the device)...

Likewise I believe the Borg cube(s) would have DEFINITELY been able to overcome and assimilate the ENTIRE Death Star and all its crew into the collective...Not sure I agree with you on that one.

If Starfleet was able to brut force destroy a full sized Brorg Cube in First Contact, I don’t think one could hold up much better against a Death Star and its collective arsenal, assimilation or not. And if the Death Star got off one shot with its main weapon, kiss that cube goodbye and everything around it.

I do think the Borgs only means of winning would be through assimilation, but that would have to be started through some covert action in order to get Borg aboard the station. And I have never seen the collective do anything that I would consider covert. They seemed to prefer a straight forward attack style.

Geek on...

Pandora-11
Mon May 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Wow...do you guys do those conventions?
Wearing costumes of Vulcans and Klingons?

Do you do the Society of Creative Anachronism too? I love to watch those in the park.

salsashark
Mon May 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM
That would be Klingon... sheesh...

MetaLord 9
Mon May 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Wow...do you guys do those conventions?
Wearing costumes of Vulcans and Clingons?

Do you do the Society of Creative Anachronism too? I love to watch those in the park.
Isn't your diaper full, Mrs. AARP? :D

Bebop
Mon May 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I am going to geek out here for a second too. Let me first start by saying that I think trying to figure out who would win in an Enterprise V Death star is like trying to figure out who would win between a spider and my shoe. The enterprise is WAY out classed pure and simple you have one Sovereign class (or whichever Enterprise you are using) against a battle station the size of a small moon. Even trying to compare the Enterprise vs a smaller ship say the Republic's Acclamator Class. I do however think that the Enterprise would have the technological advantage in any fight vs a star wars ship.

As far as the Borg cube goes remember that Star fleet was only able to destroy the cube because Picard could hear the borg and knew the week spot of the ship. Without him the Federation would have had a much harder time taking the ship out. I think the borg's attack plan would have been something along the lines of bombard the Death Star's shield generator when it was in orbit around the moon until the shields dropped then beam aboard and start the assimilation.

Now back to reality.

On another related note I liked the movie.

Pandora-11
Mon May 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Yes...sonny boy....but I need a resupply....can you help me?

TFOGGuys
Mon May 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Enterprise TOS SOP: Beam a kilo of antimatter into the center of the Death Star....that'll put a hitch in their gitalong....

MetaLord 9
Mon May 11th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Enterprise TOS SOP: Beam a kilo of antimatter into the center of the Death Star....that'll put a hitch in their gitalong....
"your force is no match for my technology."

asp_125
Mon May 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
"I see your schwartz is as big as mine, Lonestar."

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I am going to geek out here for a second too.

As far as the Borg cube goes remember that Star fleet was only able to destroy the cube because Picard could hear the borg and knew the week spot of the ship. Without him the Federation would have had a much harder time taking the ship out. I think the borg's attack plan would have been something along the lines of bombard the Death Star's shield generator when it was in orbit around the moon until the shields dropped then beam aboard and start the assimilation.

Now back to reality.

On another related note I liked the movie.Geek mode engaged…

Good point about Picard having the advantage of knowing where to strike the Borg cube.

However, given that both Death Stars had members aboard that were very familiar with the Force (ie. the Emperor and Darth Vader) we can make the assumption that using their knowledge of the force would have a similar advantage in the destruction of the Borg cube.

I believe the minds of the drowns would be very susceptible to Jedi mind tricks. You would only have to confuse a small number to buy enough time to point and shoot.

Enterprise TOS SOP: Beam a kilo of antimatter into the center of the Death Star....that'll put a hitch in their gitalong....The Enterprise would be unable to do so because of the shielding that was present around both classes of Death Star. A fact noted in both A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.

Returning to normal insanity mode… :)

Pandora-11
Mon May 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Geek mode engaged…

Good point about Picard having the advantage of knowing where to strike the Borg cube.

However, given that both Death Stars had members aboard that were very familiar with the Force (ie. the Emperor and Darth Vader) we can make the assumption that using their knowledge of the force would have a similar advantage in the destruction of the Borg cube.

I believe the minds of the drowns would be very susceptible to Jedi mind tricks. You would only have to confuse a small number to by enough time to point and shoot.

The Enterprise would be unable to do so because of the shielding that was present around both classes of Death Star. A fact noted in both A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.

OMG........:shocked::cool:

TFOGGuys
Mon May 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Geek mode engaged…

The Enterprise would be unable to do so because of the shielding that was present around both classes of Death Star. A fact noted in both A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.

Hmmm....but the rebels were able to fly into the center of the 2nd Death Star without much trouble (other than some harrassment from a few TIE fighters), so the hypothesis is that their shielding would block the transporter beam, because it is energy, not matter?

salsashark
Mon May 11th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hmmm....but the rebels were able to fly into the center of the 2nd Death Star without much trouble (other than some harrassment from a few TIE fighters), so the hypothesis is that their shielding would block the transporter beam, because it is energy, not matter?

The only reason that they could fly into the center was because of the small rebel force on the forest moon of Endor... you know... the muppets! They disabled the shields from the surface.

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Geek mode engaged… Again.

The Death Star Class 1 in the movie A New Hope the small rebel fighters where able to pass through the magnetic field of the station by doubling up their forward shields. So yes this class would have been susceptible to such a ploy.

However, the Death Star Class 2 shielding was impenetrable by smaller craft. As you recall, all approaching craft were required to give a security code that had to be verified before the shield was lowered, also once the rebels determined the shield generator had not been destroyed all craft were ordered to pull up meaning they would have been destroyed once they came in contact with it.

We can also make and assumption that this more advance shielding would have been part of the completed design of the Class 2 Death Star. So transporting anything would not have worked as long as the shielding was maintained. Also one more note, the Class 2 Death Star was able to fire its main weapon through its own shield.

TFOGGuys
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:02 PM
The only reason that they could fly into the center was because of the small rebel force on the forest moon of Endor... you know... the muppets! They disabled the shields from the surface.

....at which point, they could beam a kilo of antimatter into the Emperor's desk, and
http://www.debunking911.com/deathstar_jpg_w300h265.jpg

MetaLord 9
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM
So fire a couple of photon torpedo's onto the shield generator or send an away team lead by Ensign Ricky, shields go down like a $2 whore, beaming of antimater...(cue Jim)

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
So fire a couple of photon torpedo's onto the shield generator or send an away team lead by Ensign Ricky, shields go down like a $2 whore, beaming of antimater...(cue Jim)Do you honestly think a couple of weak ass photon torpedoes could do that job?

MetaLord 9
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Do you honestly think a couple of weak ass photon torpedoes could do that job?
probby a little better than a few teddy bears with slingshots :D

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:24 PM
probby a little better than a few teddy bears with slingshots :DThat’s like saying you want to knock over Fort Knox with your home boys, when termites would be much more effective. :)

MetaLord 9
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
That’s like saying you want to knock over Fort Knox with your home boys, knowing that termites would do the job much faster. :)
Randall, have you ever seen my home boys?

TFOGGuys
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Nothing says you can't use a probe with antimatter to do in the shield generator too....hell a pound of the stuff stripped away half the atmosphere on the planet with the vampire cloud thing on it...

Shea
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Geek mode engaged… Again.

The Death Star Class 1 in the movie A New Hope the small rebel fighters where able to pass through the magnetic field of the station by doubling up their forward shields. So yes this class would have been susceptible to such a ploy.

However, the Death Star Class 2 shielding was impenetrable by smaller craft. As you recall, all approaching craft were required to give a security code that had to be verified before the shield was lowered, also once the rebels determined the shield generator had not been destroyed all craft were ordered to pull up meaning they would have been destroyed once they came in contact with it.

We can also make and assumption that this more advance shielding would have been part of the completed design of the Class 2 Death Star. So transporting anything would not have worked as long as the shielding was maintained. Also one more note, the Class 2 Death Star was able to fire its main weapon through its own shield.

And yet a YT-1300, several A-Wings, X-Wings and a few B-Wings were able to fly into the DS2 and gut it. I'd say it's time to start waterboarding some piss-poor Geonosian engineers for a crappy design.

Bebop
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:38 PM
So fire a couple of photon torpedo's onto the shield generator or send an away team lead by Ensign Ricky, shields go down like a $2 whore, beaming of antimater...(cue Jim)

Photon torpedo's what is this the 2267's. They could use Quantum torpedo's http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/b/b9/Enterprise-E_firing_quantum_torpedoes.jpg

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:39 PM
And yet a YT-1300, several A-Wings, X-Wings and a few B-Wings were able to fly into the DS2 and gut it. I'd say it's time to start waterboarding some piss-poor Geonosian engineers for a crappy design.Into an uncompleted design and only after the shield was destroyed on the ground. A full completed Class 2 Death Star I would doubt have these issues.

Shea
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Into an uncompleted design and only after the shield was destroyed on the ground. A full completed Class 2 Death Star I would doubt have these issues.

The Emperor stated that the station was fully operational, yet once the shield generators on the surface were down, it ceased to have that protection...

Bebop
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Geek mode engaged…

I believe the minds of the drowns would be very susceptible to Jedi mind tricks. You would only have to confuse a small number to buy enough time to point and shoot.

Interesting thought. However I think the question remains that does the Jedi mind tricks work on half organic half machine life forms or would the nanites keep the mind tricks from working?

Another question with star trek is that it was thought that the borg was a collective with no single entity being the ruler however this theory was proven wrong in first contact with the borg queen. However she has died (and when she did so did all the borg on the ship) so wouldn't reason state that the borg are no more.

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM
The Emperor stated that the station was fully operational, yet once the shield generators on the surface were down, it ceased to have that protection...Did you actually watch the movie or only listen to the soundtrack? :)

He was obviously referring to the weapons systems. The thing had months if not years of work before it was fully operational. I would bout it could leave orbit, much less survive light speed.

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Interesting thought. However I think the question remains that does the Jedi mind tricks work on half organic half machine life forms or would the nanites keep the mind tricks from working?

Another question with star trek is that it was thought that the borg was a collective with no single entity being the ruler however this theory was proven wrong in first contact with the borg queen. However she has died (and when she did so did all the borg on the ship) so wouldn't reason state that the borg are no more.The definition is that Jedi mind tricks only work on the weak minded. Collectively the Borg are not weak minded. Individual Borg however would have to be weak minded in order to conform to the will of the collective. Why else would a Borg walk into certain death without flinching?

(And yes they really screwed up the whole idea of the Borg when they put in the queen idea.)

The mechanical parts would of a Borg would fall under how Jedi where dealing with things like droids. They would be ale to push them around in ways to deactivate them.:)

Shea
Mon May 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Did you actually watch the movie or only listen to the soundtrack? :)

He was obviously referring to the weapons systems. The thing had months if not years of work before it was fully operational. I would bout it could leave orbit, much less survive light speed.

He said it, not me man. Now we're going to get into a semantic argument over the meaning of "fully operational"? :)

Shea
Mon May 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html

Here ya go.

I like the comparison between Slave-1 and the Enterprise-D. One of the coolest sound effects was the seismic charges from Jengo's ship. Lucas likes the "bang on the guide wires" sounds :)

Bebop
Mon May 11th, 2009, 04:31 PM
The definition is that Jedi mind tricks only work on the weak minded. Collectively the Borg are not weak minded. Individual Borg however would have to be weak minded in order to conform to the will of the collective. Why else would a Borg walk into certain death without flinching?

(And yes they really screwed up the whole idea of the Borg when they put in the queen idea.)

I agree the mechanical parts would be susceptible to jedi powers but that is no different than any other object. The jedi's used the force to influence the midiclorions around the object, not the object itself (correct me if I am wrong).

I was bored and curious so I looked up "information" (thoughts) on who, what, the borg queen is. The best I can describe it would be if you have seen Ghost in the Shell how the cyber brains would form their own ghost or "soul". The collective forms its own leader based on the experiences of the collective.

Nerves
Mon May 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM
This is by far one of the most enjoyable threads I have the pleasure of reading. Thank you all. I am very much enlightened.:rock:

Bebop
Mon May 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html

Here ya go.

I like the comparison between Slave-1 and the Enterprise-D. One of the coolest sound effects was the seismic charges from Jengo's ship. Lucas likes the "bang on the guide wires" sounds :)

I think that web site brings to light something a lot of us may have overlooked. It is within the technology of the ships. That is the fact that the ships created in the star trek universe were designed to take on the types of technology that the ship would face within its own universe. It is an apples to oranges comparison. When you look at the information in this site with the Size charts back in this thread it would make since that the empire ships would have more fire power than the Federation ships. If you could size up the Federation ships or size down the Empire's ships (relatively) adding/subtracting weapons/power generation respectively based on designs and constraints within the ships that would make for a more relative comparison. On top of that the ships in the Empire were created with basically one purpose and that is power, the Federation ships had a wider mission from diplomacy to exploration to science. Which would explain the vast difference in not only size but in fire power as well.

Shea
Mon May 11th, 2009, 05:09 PM
....Which would explain the vast difference in not only size but in fire power as well.

Those that beat their swords into plowshares end up pulling them for those who did not. :)

But yeah, from different minds leap different universes.

Shea
Mon May 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Just because this is the geek thread du jour...

Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO

Now, Star Wars: Galaxies turned suck faster then a fanboy can drag Boba Fett out of a Sarlak's stomach, this one looks much, much better (for now)

Primary site:
http://www.swtor.com/

For the video:
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/More_Details_On_The_Old_Republic_MMO_118635.asp

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I think that web site brings to light something a lot of us may have overlooked. It is within the technology of the ships. That is the fact that the ships created in the star trek universe were designed to take on the types of technology that the ship would face within its own universe. It is an apples to oranges comparison. When you look at the information in this site with the Size charts back in this thread it would make since that the empire ships would have more fire power than the Federation ships. If you could size up the Federation ships or size down the Empire's ships (relatively) adding/subtracting weapons/power generation respectively based on designs and constraints within the ships that would make for a more relative comparison. On top of that the ships in the Empire were created with basically one purpose and that is power, the Federation ships had a wider mission from diplomacy to exploration to science. Which would explain the vast difference in not only size but in fire power as well.I have to disagree with you there. The tag line for the Star Wars Movies was “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away”. Implying that we share the same universe thus the same laws of physics would apply to Empire, Federation and Borg alike.

Those that beat their swords into plowshares end up pulling them for those who did not. :)

But yeah, from different minds leap different universes.Shea, I kind a figured you would be more sympathetic to the Empire than the Federation given your political views… I just don’t see you as the prime directive, environmentally friendly, moneyless, non-capitalistic, all for the collective good Federation type. :)

Shea
Mon May 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Shea, I kind a figured you would be more sympathetic to the Empire than the Federation given your political views… I just don’t see you as the prime directive, environmentally friendly, moneyless, non-capitalistic, all for the collective good Federation type. :)

Nah, I hate big government no matter what galaxy they are in. Federation=socialist tyranny, Empire=fascist tyranny, me=strapped into the cockpit of an X-Wing fighting the good fight. Though if I were ever President I would change "Hail to the Chief" to the Imperial March just to see Barn's head implode...

I do like Star Wars better then Trek. UN in space just doesn't do it for me.

Pandora-11
Mon May 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Nah, I hate big government no matter what galaxy they are in. Federation=socialist tyranny, Empire=fascist tyranny, me=strapped into the cockpit of an X-Wing fighting the good fight. Though if I were ever President I would change "Hail to the Chief" to the Imperial March just to see Barn's head implode...

I do like Star Wars better then Trek. UN in space just doesn't do it for me.
:yay::yay:

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM

I do like Star Wars better then Trek. UN in space just doesn't do it for me.Its good to see we share in a common philosophy. I too would like to see Barn’s head explode. :)

Ol'Skool
Mon May 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Wow, I thought sportbike riders were all late teen, beer drinking, womanizing, wrench heads. Good to know theres some good ol fashioned nerds out there too. Im glad theres a variety.

Snowman
Mon May 11th, 2009, 07:21 PM
The psychosis that is riding motorcycles knows no social conventions. Just please don’t start any topics around world of warcraft, or we’ll be here all night.

The Black Knight
Mon May 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I'll submit these two videos as some interestingly done videos:
http://laughingsquid.com/star-wars-vs-star-trek-death-star-destroys-the-starship-enterprise-over-san-francisco/

http://laughingsquid.com/star-wars-vs-star-trek/

Oh and my .02 cents. Hands down the Empire to crush all in their path :up:

and Snowman, you can count me in as pro Empire. I guess it's the tyrant in me and Imperial March pwn's all :)

Nerves
Mon May 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM
The second one is so funny. That's going on my facebook.

Bebop
Tue May 12th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I have to disagree with you there. The tag line for the Star Wars Movies was “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away”. Implying that we share the same universe thus the same laws of physics would apply to Empire, Federation and Borg alike.
Shea, I kind a figured you would be more sympathetic to the Empire than the Federation given your political views… I just don’t see you as the prime directive, environmentally friendly, moneyless, non-capitalistic, all for the collective good Federation type. :)

Yes we share the same laws of physics but that is not what I was talking about. Just compare the size difference between ships, that has nothing to do with the laws of physics. :)

Now as far as the social aspect of the two yes star trek is a socialist/communist model and that is one part I hate about it. Why would he be more sympathetic for the Empire though. Both are dictatorships with one person or party in control of everything. Now I haven't read the books, I have only seen the movies but from what I can tell the Empire is not over. Yes they killed the Emperor and the Sith Lords but the structure of the Empire and the senate still exists. It did not show them (the rebel alliance or the Senate) reorganizing the Empire back into a Republic. Hmm, I will try not to go too much further with this don't want to turn this into a political fisticuffs match.

BTW I like the movies BK!

Shea
Tue May 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Now as far as the social aspect of the two yes star trek is a socialist/communist model and that is one part I hate about it. Why would he be more sympathetic for the Empire though. Both are dictatorships with one person or party in control of everything.

Randall is 'partly' joking. Many in this country have a very limited view of the political spectrum. They believe that you are either with them or a communist (if you are a Republican) or a fascist (if you are a Democrat). Very little, if any, middle ground exists. Just disagree with Obama on anything and you will be called a Bush-loving nazi. Far easier to just call someone a name then actual debate an issue.

I disagree with the village, collective, socialistic ideas of the Federation. I do enjoy the spirit of exploration, discovery and betterment of self however that that world promotes. The Empire is just a heavy handed dictatorship that gets it's way through brute force, oppression and fear (just listen to Grand Moff Tarkin in the Ep4).

The Rebellion on the other hand is more my speed. Liberty and freedom for the entire galaxy, regardless of species (the Empire is very human-centric and enslaved the Wookies, among others). So I would choose them and fight oppression wherever I came across it. All for the Republic :)

Horsman
Tue May 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Wow, I thought sportbike riders were all late teen, beer drinking, womanizing, wrench heads. Good to know theres some good ol fashioned nerds out there too. Im glad theres a variety.

Well, I am... well, no longer in my teens, beer drinking if I can behave, Womanizing until I get kneed, Wrench headed if I only knew which end of the hammer to use.

Bebop
Tue May 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Randall is 'partly' joking. ...
Yep I know, this whole thread is just for fun.:)

The Rebellion on the other hand is more my speed. Liberty and freedom for the entire galaxy, regardless of species (the Empire is very human-centric and enslaved the Wookies, among others). So I would choose them and fight oppression wherever I came across it. All for the Republic :)

If the rebellion is for bringing back the Republic then I would sign up to fight on their side right along with ya. I just don't remember them ever saying exactly what they stood for other than to bring down the Empire and/or Emperor. I enjoy Star Trek for the technology side and Star Wars because it shows the struggle of future generations as it will more likely happen.

Shea
Tue May 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM
If the rebellion is for bringing back the Republic then I would sign up to fight on their side right along with ya. I just don't remember them ever saying exactly what they stood for other than to bring down the Empire and/or Emperor. I enjoy Star Trek for the technology side and Star Wars because it shows the struggle of future generations as it will more likely happen.

Yeah, that was their stated purpose, restore the Republic.

sky_blue
Tue May 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/3041498380_c1d3c24e2e_o.jpg

sky_blue
Tue May 26th, 2009, 10:14 PM
http://pics.livejournal.com/starlady42/pic/000041bw

GixxerCarrie
Wed May 27th, 2009, 05:50 AM
:banghead:OMG..this is back again?

Snowman
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Game on....

Shea
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM
That Khan thing is awesome sky_blue...lol. Take another whole fucking movie to fix it...lol

Game on...

sky_blue
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I didn't make those BTW, but I felt compelled to share since they made me ROTFL hysterically.

MetaLord 9
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM
this thread gives me such a geek hardon that I just wanna barricade myself in the apartment & watch marathons of any show that happens in space, includes explosions, and contains characters with the names Tiberius, Jean-luc, Dax, Darth, or Noonien.

GixxerCarrie
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM
LOL....really? Game On!

Shea
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM
LOL....really? Game On!

Why so much hate Carrie? You're a closet geek and so you're casting indignation in order to protect your cover, huh? Kind of like Horseman and gays...

GixxerCarrie
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Why so much hate Carrie? You're a closet geek and so you're casting indignation in order to protect your cover, huh? Kind of like Horseman and gays...

LMAO....Yes..I am a closet (notice the closet geek) whereas Horseman has come out of the closet!:) I'm just saying this is the funniest thread to me just because we are talking about things that only exist in the movies...then again I watch Sappy movies...but I know it isn't real life..but dream like the big boys of their spaceships. So not a hater...It jus makes me laugh.:hump:

TFOGGuys
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Randall is 'partly' joking. Many in this country have a very limited view of the political spectrum. They believe that you are either with them or a communist (if you are a Republican) or a fascist (if you are a Democrat). Very little, if any, middle ground exists. Just disagree with Obama on anything and you will be called a Bush-loving nazi. Far easier to just call someone a name then actual debate an issue.

I disagree with the village, collective, socialistic ideas of the Federation. I do enjoy the spirit of exploration, discovery and betterment of self however that that world promotes. The Empire is just a heavy handed dictatorship that gets it's way through brute force, oppression and fear (just listen to Grand Moff Tarkin in the Ep4).

It is interesting, though, that most of the epic Starship Captains in the Trek universe are pretty much autocratic dictators, with only a passing regard for niceties like the Prime Directive when they are inconvenient....

Devaclis
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I think this guy has the right stuff

http://gamergadgetgirl.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/aliens_vs_predator_extinction_laststar.jpg

Although these guys would make a good mercenary force against the Alliance

http://www.theperlmanpages.i12.com/bsmovies/gfx/icecol01.JPG

Dude, you look like a giant Q-tip!!

http://retrodc.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/pirates.jpg

Shea
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah, nothing like space herpes to bring the rebellion to a crashing halt. :)

MetaLord 9
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
:banghead:OMG..this is back again?

LOL....really?

Dear, no one's making you read this thread so if it really puts you in so much disbelief, you know that you're not actually required to click on the thread every time you see it! You're not going to turn into stone if you don't click & post ya know. :D :D :D :D

LMAO....Yes..I am a closet (notice the closet geek) whereas Horseman has come out of the closet!:)
Me thinks she doth protest too much...

Shea
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Me thinks she doth protest too much...

I concur

Snowman
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah, nothing like space herpes to bring the rebellion to a crashing halt. :)Do you think space herpes could have overwhelmed the Borg?
I’m not sure they had sex.

MetaLord 9
Wed May 27th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Do you think space herpes could have overwhelmed the Borg?
I’m not sure they had sex.
I don't think you would either if your main pickup line was "Resistance is futile"

Devaclis
Wed May 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Maybe the females just put their eggs in a CD ROM drive and then the males swing by and "deposit" their fertilizer all over 'em. Like squids do.

Shea
Wed May 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Maybe the females just put their eggs in a CD ROM drive and then the males swing by and "deposit" their fertilizer all over 'em. Like squids do.

LOL, yeah that must be it!

Snowman
Wed May 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Maybe the females just put their eggs in a CD ROM drive and then the males swing by and "deposit" their fertilizer all over 'em. Like squids do.Isn’t that currently how human beings hooking up?

Devaclis
Wed May 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
you stay the HELL away from my CD ROM tray!!

Snowman
Thu Jun 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM
One of our south pole station signs posted outside one of the ice tunnels.

http://rapidferretracing.com/Antarctica/Images/2005-11-20_UFO_Base.jpg