PDA

View Full Version : FZ6R

Nhsk8r20
Fri May 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hello everyone,

Im new to the forums and new to motorcycles in general. I was wondering what yalls thoughts on the new yamaha FZ6R as a starter bike. The people I have talked to at local shops say that im to big for a 250. Im hoping to get a bike with in the next month and im taking my MSF next weekend. Any input would help.

Thanks,

Nathan

jimwallace
Fri May 8th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I havent ridden one yet but from what i have read and heard it is an excellent starter bike. A 600 would be just fine for you to learn on, especially since it sounds like you have a sense of self control.

Hi11Zone
Fri May 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM
You'll be fine! ;)

ChrisCBX
Fri May 8th, 2009, 09:00 PM
The FZ6R was discussed here a little bit.............

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30918&highlight=fz6r

Nhsk8r20
Fri May 8th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I have been reading reviews and what not and went to a dealer to check one out and sit on it. I just wanted some real riders thoughts on it. I have just heard that you should start out on a 250 and go from there and what not.

Bueller
Fri May 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
You will sucumb to 600 envy if you buy a 250, but if you want ride a bike that will teach you how to ride, a 250 can be a lot of fun and after a season you will honestly be ready to move up rather than just replacing your crashed up bike.

I am 200lbs+ and the 250 gets around just fine.

If you do go with a 600 do yourself a favor and get an older one to learn on.....See previous reference about crashed bike.

FZRguy
Fri May 8th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Here ya go....nice SV650 for $4600.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1122760116.html

King Nothing
Fri May 8th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Here ya go....nice SV650 for $4600.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1122760116.htmlYes, that one is nice. n00b should buy it and swap exhaust with me.

Tipys
Fri May 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
^^^Thats the same one that someone posted on here for sale. But yes buy an older bike for you first not a 1k or anything like that. But older it wont hurt much then seeing a brand new bike hit the ground.

asp_125
Fri May 8th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Entry level sportbikes: FZ6R, Ninja 650R, GSX-600F, SV650. All can be bought new, but your first bike should be pre-dropped so it won't hurt to see the new plastics scuffed up.

Unless you're up towards 250+ lbs, nobody's TOO BIG for a 250. The shops just want to upsell you. A 250 or 500 will teach you to be smooth to stay in the power, faster than a 600 can. That isn't to say you can't be as smooth, just that the smaller bikes have a greater margin for error.

Wait till after MSF to decide. You might come away with some revelations about the kind(s) of bikes you like.

Think
Sat May 9th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Entry level sportbikes: FZ6R, Ninja 650R, GSX-600F, SV650. All can be bought new, but your first bike should be pre-dropped so it won't hurt to see the new plastics scuffed up.
Ninja 500 and Suzuki GS500 could be added to that list.

Nhsk8r20
Sat May 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Unless you're up towards 250+ lbs, nobody's TOO BIG for a 250. The shops just want to upsell you. A 250 or 500 will teach you to be smooth to stay in the power, faster than a 600 can. That isn't to say you can't be as smooth, just that the smaller bikes have a greater margin for error.

Wait till after MSF to decide. You might come away with some revelations about the kind(s) of bikes you like.

Well i happen to be 6ft and around 260 but i plan on losing a lot of weight in the near future. I was going to talk to the MSF teachers also and get there input on it also and see how a 250 feels.

Riverdog
Sat May 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM
As a new rider myself, as I bought a bike at the beginning of last summer. I would not reccomend buying anything less than a 600; brand is just personal preference. they all have their strong and weak areas. I personally think unless your a very cautious chick that you are just throwing away money on a 250. Spend the money on a riding class, if you haven't already and go 600. Also I will mention that it is not a real good idea to go new with your first bike, because you will most likeley drop it early on. This is advise I did not heed and I droped my new bike in the first 1000 miles. No big deal now but was not happy that day. Besides buying a used 600 if bought right, you will be able to more easily jump up to a bigger bike in a season or two if you have developed the skills to do so. Good luck

Hello everyone,

Im new to the forums and new to motorcycles in general. I was wondering what yalls thoughts on the new yamaha FZ6R as a starter bike. The people I have talked to at local shops say that im to big for a 250. Im hoping to get a bike with in the next month and im taking my MSF next weekend. Any input would help.

Thanks,

Nathan

Bueller
Sat May 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
As a new rider myself, as I bought a bike at the beginning of last summer. I would not reccomend buying anything less than a 600; brand is just personal preference. they all have their strong and weak areas. I personally think unless your a very cautious chick that you are just throwing away money on a 250. Spend the money on a riding class, if you haven't already and go 600. Also I will mention that it is not a real good idea to go new with your first bike, because you will most likeley drop it early on. This is advise I did not heed and I droped my new bike in the first 1000 miles. No big deal now but was not happy that day. Besides buying a used 600 if bought right, you will be able to more easily jump up to a bigger bike in a season or two if you have developed the skills to do so. Good luck
:lol:
Learn how to ride then resell for basically what you bought it for, that's how these bikes work. And if you bin it, not the huge loss that a new 600 would be.

Jim_Vess
Sat May 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM

Obviously you've never ridden a 250, except maybe in a class..

Think
Sun May 10th, 2009, 12:26 AM
If you have NEVER ridden a bike before, a newer 600 is a very bad idea. The only reason I bought a 600 as my first bike was that I was able to ride two of my friend's bikes around a lot before I bought mine. And I still can't decide if it was the greatest idea to have gotten a 600 for my first bike.

A 500 or a twin 650 would be fine for a starter bike IMHO. However, I've only been riding for a year and I know there are a lot of very experienced riders on this board that can give you some advice.